Author Topic: The "I can't believe this 'hit" was so popular" Song of the Day thread  (Read 6043 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "I can't believe this 'hit" was so popular" Song of the Day thread
« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2019, 03:48:12 PM »
Today's Song of the Day is...

Run-DMC with Aerosmith - Walk This Way

In 1986, it was pretty unheard of to combine rap and rock, especially when that song had already been a big rock hit a decade earlier, but Walk This Way broke the barrier and became a monster hit.  It's success was surprising when you consider how segregated music fans were in the 80's. Would rock fans approve of a classic rock being transformed into a rap song? Would rap fans like a rap act covering a rock song?  The answer to both questions was a resounding yes, and the song was a major success.  This song was actually my introduction to both Run-DMC and Aerosmith, and to me it was just a good song by two bands that seemed quite different from one another.  I can't say I ever listen to this version anymore, but I enjoyed it a lot back in '86.

Couldn't stand this song personally.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2019, 09:02:37 AM »

Except that I don't recall feeling that MI2 sucked.  But I also don't remember most of it either, so it didn't make an impression.  And for a song in a movie to make an impression, the short snippet that actually gets played generally has to be REALLY incredible or REALLY bad to make an impression if it isn't a band I am already familiar enough with for it to register.

It wasn't just a snippet, but IIRC the song was played over the credits, so you may not have noticed it.  The main riff is basically the Mission Impossible theme.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
Yeah, that usually has about the same impact on me.  Even though it's the whole song, since it's during closing credits, I'm generally tuned out and not paying much attention.  So it's got to either be something I'm already familiar with or really catchy to get my attention. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2019, 10:02:35 AM »
Someone did a version of the M:I theme, only it was in straight 4/4 (or maybe it was 6/4) instead of the classic 5/4.  By straightening out the rhythm, it had a more classic headbanging impact, but lost something as well.  Is that the version you're talking about?

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »
I hated this.  It's not about "genre", though I'm not a huge rap guy (I do like Run DMC, though).  I just don't like that sound, that cadence that most rap-rock has.    I didn't like it when Anthrax did it, I friggin' hated Limp Bizkit, and don't like it now when bands do that (I'm thinking of Imagine Dragons).

Then I suppose you don't like RATM either? How about Beastie Boys? They also combined rap with rock.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
I hated this.  It's not about "genre", though I'm not a huge rap guy (I do like Run DMC, though).  I just don't like that sound, that cadence that most rap-rock has.    I didn't like it when Anthrax did it, I friggin' hated Limp Bizkit, and don't like it now when bands do that (I'm thinking of Imagine Dragons).

Then I suppose you don't like RATM either? How about Beastie Boys? They also combined rap with rock.

Don't like RATM, though there are some things I like because the cadence is different.  I kinda like when Zach yells ("Killing In The Name").   Indifferent on the Beastie Boys.  Some things I like, some I don't, though there's nothing I LOVE, and nothing I HATE. 

Contrast that with Limp Bizkit, where Fred does that silly rap/hip-hop sing-songy thing in pretty much every LB song I've ever heard (In Nookie, it's the "look into these eyes" part, about 0:30 seconds in; he does it later in the song too).  I don't own any LB, but I have about three soundtrack CDs with them on it, and it's in every one of those songs.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2019, 12:43:35 PM »
I will admit to liking 1 LB song, and that was "Rearranged" because I thought the music video was cool and the last minute or so of the song sounded good. I haven't listen to that song in a over 10 years, I am sure I wouldn't feel the same way now.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #112 on: December 19, 2019, 05:54:48 PM »

Genesis - I Can't Dance

Okay, most of Genesis' hits once they jumped into the pop game with both feet are well written and catchy, and it's easy to see why they did so well, but I Can't Dance?  I don't see it. The main riff is kind of jarring and the vocal hook is nothing short of awful.  I love Genesis, but this song is just plain bad.  How in the world did so many people like this monstrosity?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: December 19, 2019, 11:54:18 PM »
When this song hit I only knew them as 80s/Phil Collins singing Genesis. I never really liked their music that I had heard, though l remember thinking this one was somewhat catchy. They also had cool videos so I think that also helped me like this song.

As to why it was a hit? I have no idea. But then I can't really understand why 80s Genesis was as big as it was.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2019, 01:48:38 AM »
I like this song, it has a cool guitar riff that could have been lifted off an AC/DC song, it was quite unlike what you'd expect from Genesis. It had a funny video, which probably helped a lot in becoming a hit and Genesis were just huge back then, so I think everything they put out as a single would have been a hit regardless of the actual quality of the song.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »

Someone did a version of the M:I theme, only it was in straight 4/4 (or maybe it was 6/4) instead of the classic 5/4.  By straightening out the rhythm, it had a more classic headbanging impact, but lost something as well.  Is that the version you're talking about?

Yeah, that's the one.  It's in 4/4. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »

Genesis - I Can't Dance

Okay, most of Genesis' hits once they jumped into the pop game with both feet are well written and catchy, and it's easy to see why they did so well, but I Can't Dance?  I don't see it. The main riff is kind of jarring and the vocal hook is nothing short of awful.  I love Genesis, but this song is just plain bad.  How in the world did so many people like this monstrosity?

I had to refresh myself on this song via YouTube.  I also had to look up its release date and was surprised to find out that it was released in 1991.

My introduction to Genesis was Abacab and 3 Sides Live.  The self-titled album and Invisible Touch were big disappointments.  While I bought We Can't Dance, I had basically given up on Genesis at that point, and I probably didn't listen to it more than a handful of times.  Given the commercial success that Genesis had achieved in the 80s, I guess it's not surprising that this song was a hit, but it really felt like either a band just going through the motions or a bunch of guys trying to incorporate grunge elements despite having no acumen for it.  The video is also dumb for about a dozen reasons, but the thing that bugs me the most is that Tony Banks is basically the "drummer."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »
I'm with PG on the intro part - Abacab/3SL, but in contrast, I like the self-titled and Invisible Touch AFTER you get past the ballads/singles.  I HATE "That's All", and I'm not a fan of "Land Of Confusion".   I remember buying We Can't Dance out in California while living in Burbank, and really connecting with about half of it, and not at all connecting with about a third of it.  I Can't Dance is by FAR my least favorite song on that record.  I like Genesis' humor, but I don't like how sometimes they seem to pander, and that's in that song to me.  I always consider that a "Rutherford" song, and I prefer the "Banks" songs, i.e. the stuf that sounds really simple but isn't ("Me And Sarah Jane").

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #118 on: December 22, 2019, 02:27:23 PM »

Billy Joel - Only the Good Die Young

Great song, and on the one hand, it's easy to see why it was so popular, given that it's catchy as hell and just a fun tune, but on the other hand, the lyrics were accused of being anti-Catholic/pro-premarital sex, which could have worked against it, but as often happens, the minor controversy and calls for radio stations to ban it only helped it and make it more popular.  Heck, my mom, who has been a strict Catholic her whole life, knows what the lyrics are about, yet has always loved the song to pieces.  Just goes to show you the power of a catchy hook.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #119 on: December 22, 2019, 02:38:14 PM »

Genesis - I Can't Dance

I don't have that much of a problem with it, but I loved so many of the non hits on the album (No Son, Dreaming, Fading Lights and Spike, even Jesus He Knows Me actually) and I can see why people dislike it.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline DTA

« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2019, 05:47:57 PM »

Great song, and on the one hand, it's easy to see why it was so popular, given that it's catchy as hell and just a fun tune, but on the other hand, the lyrics were accused of being anti-Catholic/pro-premarital sex, which could have worked against it, but as often happens, the minor controversy and calls for radio stations to ban it only helped it and make it more popular.  Heck, my mom, who has been a strict Catholic her whole life, knows what the lyrics are about, yet has always loved the song to pieces.  Just goes to show you the power of a catchy hook.

The hook in this song overrides any lyric that could be offensive. All of Billy’s radio songs are great and this one is no exception. The Stranger isn’t my favorite album of his but you can’t deny that he tapped into something special on it

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: December 22, 2019, 05:56:25 PM »
"Slept in the dust with his daughter,
Her eyes red with the slaughter".

I love that part!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #122 on: December 23, 2019, 01:01:58 AM »

I love that part!

Wait, what? Iron Maiden have a song named like a Billy Joel one, and on another song of the same album they quote verbatim this line?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bentower

« Reply #123 on: December 23, 2019, 02:52:48 AM »
That's from The Evil That Men Do, though. ;) Maiden's Only the Good Die Young has some tasty verse lines as well, but their impact probably has a lot to do with Bruce's delivery.

I'll have to give The Stranger another spin later, that album hasn't struck a chord with me yet.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: December 23, 2019, 11:47:51 AM »
MTV played the hell out of it. It was their 1st video so it got a ton of airplay.
This quote was apparently in reference to Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do", and as far as I can tell, it's simply not accurate at all.

It certainly wasn't their first video, which was "Video Killed the Radio Star" by the Buggles (or the second, which was "You Better Run" by Pat Benatar).  And since MTV debuted 4 years after Frampton Comes Alive was released, I find it hard to believe that they "played the hell" out that song, behavior which was normally reserved for current hits/acts.

I also have no memory of it, but that can be unreliable.

What are you smokin', King?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #125 on: December 23, 2019, 03:21:03 PM »
I'm with PG on the intro part - Abacab/3SL, but in contrast, I like the self-titled and Invisible Touch AFTER you get past the ballads/singles.  I HATE "That's All", and I'm not a fan of "Land Of Confusion".   I remember buying We Can't Dance out in California while living in Burbank, and really connecting with about half of it, and not at all connecting with about a third of it.  I Can't Dance is by FAR my least favorite song on that record.  I like Genesis' humor, but I don't like how sometimes they seem to pander, and that's in that song to me.  I always consider that a "Rutherford" song, and I prefer the "Banks" songs, i.e. the stuf that sounds really simple but isn't ("Me And Sarah Jane").

A while back, I created a condensed version of We Can't Dance that looks something like this:

No Son of Mine
Jesus He Knows Me
Driving the Last Spike
Dreaming While You Sleep
On the Shoreline
Living Forever
Hold on My Heart
Fading Lights

Flows a lot better and gets rid of most, if not all, of the filler of that record.  Works pretty well as a companion to Invisible Touch.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: December 23, 2019, 03:36:48 PM »

I love that part!

wut?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline HOF

« Reply #127 on: December 23, 2019, 03:55:05 PM »

A while back, I created a condensed version of We Can't Dance that looks something like this:

No Son of Mine
Jesus He Knows Me
Driving the Last Spike
Dreaming While You Sleep
On the Shoreline
Living Forever
Hold on My Heart
Fading Lights

Flows a lot better and gets rid of most, if not all, of the filler of that record.  Works pretty well as a companion to Invisible Touch.

It’s unfortunate that an album like Abacab with so much great additional material, or even Invisible Touch, was so restricted by the limitations of the vinyl format, but when Genesis made their first album in the CD era they loaded it up with so much filler (and still left out one of the strongest tracks in On The Shoreline).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 24, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »

I'm actually in a pretty big Joel mood right now - that's where I am in my CD ripping exercise - and I'm just blown away how good that album is.  THere's not a duff song on it (though I can see not being in the mood for "Everybody Has A Dream" if you've just sat through the rest of it) but OTGDY is over-shadowed by the rest of the record for me.  It's a good tune, and I get using it as a single.  Having grown up Catholic, I don't quite get the controversy (it's not like he made Virginia a whore in the song; just the opposite).  But for me, that song pales in comparison to Scenes (yeah, I know it's a cliche, but that's a damn good song) and my two favorites:  Vienna and She's Always A Woman (The Stranger is up there too). 

Offline DTA

« Reply #129 on: December 24, 2019, 08:57:03 AM »

I'm actually in a pretty big Joel mood right now - that's where I am in my CD ripping exercise - and I'm just blown away how good that album is.  THere's not a duff song on it (though I can see not being in the mood for "Everybody Has A Dream" if you've just sat through the rest of it) but OTGDY is over-shadowed by the rest of the record for me.  It's a good tune, and I get using it as a single.  Having grown up Catholic, I don't quite get the controversy (it's not like he made Virginia a whore in the song; just the opposite).  But for me, that song pales in comparison to Scenes (yeah, I know it's a cliche, but that's a damn good song) and my two favorites:  Vienna and She's Always A Woman (The Stranger is up there too).

I always thought Get It Right The First Time was a standout that gets routinely ignored. Same with Half A Mile Away on 52nd Street, though Billy seems to have come around to that one since he played it live for the first time this year.