Author Topic: Networking Question ( Fiber )  (Read 695 times)

Offline max_security

Networking Question ( Fiber )
« on: December 10, 2019, 05:44:22 PM »
At work our internet comes in as 1 large cable containing 3 pairs of fiber. The first device ( box on the wall ) has a Verizon sticker and is simply a termination box where the pairs each get a connector and patch cables run out to other components ( larger multi-port ethernet switches ).  1 pair is for our company , 1 is for a neighboring tenant , the third pair are just sitting there with no patch cable connected. Is it possible that the unused pair is ready to go ? Or is that pair waiting for someone to pay money to get it connected ? The patch cables are yellow if that helps , I read that that indicates single mode to select a converter to ethernet and a patch cable.

Really all I'm trying to do is get an access point outside of our LAN and firewall for configuration and testing of HVAC controllers , our IT people , good grief it's like talking to a pile of bricks . I can bring the stuff home and do what I need to do and I'm too old for that crap any more. Any help is appreciated.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Re: Networking Question ( Fiber )
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 07:34:36 PM »
Most likely this.
Or is that pair waiting for someone to pay money to get it connected ?
Best bet would be to call Verizon to find out.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 07:46:01 PM »
Doesn't hurt to hook up a router and find out.  But my guess is, it's turned off.  You might get a link on the network port but not traffic.  I can't imagine them having open access to ports... unless someone is paying for it.  But then again, it's an ISP, it's possible.  Try it out.  Easier would be to move your work cable over and test if it just works, but since it may not you probably dont want to take down the work network.  Otherwise just install a router and put a computer on it to see if it gets internet connection.

Also, yes, yellow fiber typically means single mode fiber which is meant for long distance and would be expected in this case.

Offline max_security

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 10:21:50 PM »
Thanks. I think I'll get a " fiber to copper media converter " with 2 single mode ports. This way I could grab it right where it leaves Verizons junction box and continue on to our LAN if that unused pair is not active. It adds a little to the cost but it should cover me either way.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2019, 05:38:19 AM »
They could be spares put in for future use. May not even be spliced in to anything on the other end.

I don't deal too much with small count fiber-to-the-premise, more with the main lines out on the utility poles. But we always run more than needed for spares/future use. If there is an existing 24 count that we have to move or replace for any reason. we will almost always at least double it. Point being there is a 48 count now that may only have traffic on 8 fibers; a lot of spares.