Author Topic: JP named 'Best Prog Guitarist In The World Today'  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
JP named 'Best Prog Guitarist In The World Today'
« on: December 10, 2019, 03:34:54 AM »
https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-10-best-prog-guitarists-in-the-world-today

JP placed second in this poll last year without even releasing a record, so it makes sense that in the year Dream Theater’s much-lauded 14th studio album Distance Over Time landed, Petrucci should claim the crown.

The near-athletic drive and technicality that has set Petrucci apart from the crowd remains the backbone of his playing but his group’s latest opus showcased a newly sharpened focus – an ability to cover more distance in less time.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online MirrorMask

Re: JP named 'Best Prog Guitarist In The World Today'
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2019, 03:53:28 AM »
In related news, water boils at 100°C.

:biggrin:

Congratulations JP!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2019, 06:20:25 AM »
In related news, water boils at 100°C.

:biggrin:

:rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2019, 07:24:28 AM »
I love JP... but really? As a friend of mine put it, "Man who hasn't progressed his own guitar playing in ten years named best prog guitarist." Emphasis on the prog - JP's playing has remained the same for over a decade. Lots of other young guitarists out there doing fresh, cool things in the prog world so it's disappointing for the most predictable option to come out on top, personally (it's like MP winning the best drummer award from that magazine year after year after year). Oh well. Congrats to JP.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Trav86

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2019, 07:58:48 AM »
You can’t compare JP’s guitar skills to MP’s drumming. Not even close.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 08:08:30 AM »

This. Also, it's a fan poll, people voted for their favorite, it doesn't have any value in real life.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 08:10:23 AM »

I'm not sure what this is supposed to tell us? 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 08:17:16 AM »

Why not? MP's drumming hasn't progressed in a lot of years either.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
Well, good thing I wasn't trying to compare JP's skill to MP's, or any guitarist's to any drummer's skills. Just offering my own commentary on the results. I know it's a fan poll. I just am disappointed with the top pick. Nothing more.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 09:34:47 AM »
Well, good thing I wasn't trying to compare JP's skill to MP's, or any guitarist's to any drummer's skills. Just offering my own commentary on the results. I know it's a fan poll. I just am disappointed with the top pick. Nothing more.

Who would you pick as Pro guitarist of 2019? Here a list of winners from the previous years. Each of those years Petrucci came in 2nd place, but the winners either had new music out or were very active in the live scene.

2018: Claudio and Travis from Coheed and Cambria
2017: Plini
2016: Devin Townsend
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 09:39:03 AM »

Who would you pick as Pro guitarist of 2019? Here a list of winners from the previous years. Each of those years Petrucci came in 2nd place, but the winners either had new music out or were very active in the live scene.

2018: Claudio and Travis from Coheed and Cambria
2017: Plini
2016: Devin Townsend

Personally I like a lot of the other guitarists on the list and think they're doing more interesting stuff than Petrucci has done in years. Yvette Young is someone I was just recently turned onto - she's #10 on the OP's link - and I think she's waaaay more interesting. Very Chon-like in her playing and tone, and pulls off some crazy complex music and makes it look effortless, and seamlessly shifts between meters like she's playing in 4/4. It's just brilliant imo. Plini is another fantastic, fresh artist with dazzling chops.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 01:10:20 PM »
I guess the result of the thing is a testament to how well D/T has been received to date (which is a good thing I'm sure)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2019, 02:01:16 PM »
I'd say Petrucci is the best guitarist in the world today, at least out of those whose career started in 1989 or later. There really aren't many others that come to my mind that come close. His style isn't "progressing" because he started on a ridiculously high level to begin with. We'll see if the interesting prodigies of today can come even close to a Petrucci level career of consistent excellence in 30 years.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »
I'd say Petrucci is the best guitarist in the world today, at least out of those whose career started in 1989 or later. There really aren't many others that come to my mind that come close. His style isn't "progressing" because he started on a ridiculously high level to begin with. We'll see if the interesting prodigies of today can come even close to a Petrucci level career of consistent excellence in 30 years.

Well, that's true, but that's also not what I was arguing. I'm talking about the here and now (2019), not comparing the artists' entire catalogs. Not gonna get an argument from me if we're comparing their full bodies of work against each other, though. JP's speaks for itself. :)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2019, 04:06:28 PM »
Well, that's true, but that's also not what I was arguing. I'm talking about the here and now (2019), not comparing the artists' entire catalogs. Not gonna get an argument from me if we're comparing their full bodies of work against each other, though. JP's speaks for itself. :)
Most of these awards only consider "people who were active in some way this year" and try to determine which of them is the best/the most popular, or just let the artists link the poll and the best fanbase wins. We might shrug at the "popularity game" and find faults in the choices, but let me tell you from personal experience they're doing something right! At the webzine I write for, we try to do it the right way and have the entire staff vote year-round to nominate the top ten albums in about ~20 categories, then we run the poll for about a month to give people time to listen to all of these albums. We do get a large amount of votes, but these makeshift polls that took someone ten minutes to put together still get more, and the most popular artists win both in the end :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 05:09:15 PM »
Guys... I know this is just a poll/popularity contest/whatever. It's okay. I'm just saying I don't think he deserves #1. That's it. That's all. It's okay. I still like JP. Lists are whatever anyway.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
I love JP... but really? As a friend of mine put it, "Man who hasn't progressed his own guitar playing in ten years named best prog guitarist." Emphasis on the prog - JP's playing has remained the same for over a decade. Lots of other young guitarists out there doing fresh, cool things in the prog world so it's disappointing for the most predictable option to come out on top, personally (it's like MP winning the best drummer award from that magazine year after year after year). Oh well. Congrats to JP.

I would agree up to the new album.  For a long time, JP's playing has been pretty safe and yes, not very progressive or creative or even exciting as it was back in the day, but the new album, he took his playing to another level.  His work on DOT is the best since the golden years and made me fall in love with him again as a guitarist.  It's miles ahead of what he's been doing the last 10 years and more.  He really knocked it out of the park with DOT.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 03:22:44 PM »

Most of these awards only consider "people who were active in some way this year" and try to determine which of them is the best/the most popular, or just let the artists link the poll and the best fanbase wins. We might shrug at the "popularity game" and find faults in the choices, but let me tell you from personal experience they're doing something right! At the webzine I write for, we try to do it the right way and have the entire staff vote year-round to nominate the top ten albums in about ~20 categories, then we run the poll for about a month to give people time to listen to all of these albums. We do get a large amount of votes, but these makeshift polls that took someone ten minutes to put together still get more, and the most popular artists win both in the end :lol

Pretty much, yeah.  Seems like every guitar magazine in the world for years voted Eddie Van Halen as guitarist of the year if he did anything that year, no matter what it was.  "What, VH released a live album?  EVH is the guitarist of the year!!" 

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2019, 03:25:21 PM »
I recall EVH getting best keyboard player awards in the 84-88 era  :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
I recall EVH getting best keyboard player awards in the 84-88 era  :lol

I think Geddy Lee did one year in one as well. :lol :lol

Offline romdrums

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »

I would agree up to the new album.  For a long time, JP's playing has been pretty safe and yes, not very progressive or creative or even exciting as it was back in the day, but the new album, he took his playing to another level.  His work on DOT is the best since the golden years and made me fall in love with him again as a guitarist.  It's miles ahead of what he's been doing the last 10 years and more.  He really knocked it out of the park with DOT.

Agreed.  I hear a lot of things from JP on DOT that he wouldn’t necessarily have done before.  He really did level up when it came to this record. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 09:46:25 PM »
One of the most well-known guitarists in the Prog genre won best guitarist. No surprise there.

I don't mind these "Best Lists". I can learn about other bands through these lists. I haven't heard of half the people on there. I'll check them out.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2019, 12:04:24 AM »

Agreed.  I hear a lot of things from JP on DOT that he wouldn’t necessarily have done before.  He really did level up when it came to this record.

Not to mention the cleanliness in his leads and how fluid and smooth they are.  He also isn't as jarring when it comes to the really fast stuff.  I've always found his really fast shred a little stiff at times when he takes it up a notch.  Like the transition into the faster notes is a little disjointed.  There's not of that and the fast stuff sounds so natural and sounds like he isn't even in top gear.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2019, 12:07:04 AM »

Yeah, I can't really put my finger on what he does differently, but from the moment I heard DoT I was fascinated with Petruccis playing. Clearly the MVP on that record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Lethean

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
JP is the guitar player that moved me the most this year, so I totally would have voted for him in any best of poll.  :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »

Fresh ideas and new takes in prog are just different variations of what JP has already done.  These young guitarists aren't re-inventing the wheel or anything.  JP has all those years of experience and notoriety under his belt.  I'm not exactly sure how much more progression can be expected from a person who has already reached the pinnacle of his craft.  It's a well deserved honor from those who are fans of prog.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to tell us? 

Yeah, what exactly is the comparison?  Work ethic?  Technicality?  Composition?  Talent?  I'd say they are pretty equal in those categories.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2019, 10:56:36 AM »
Fresh ideas and new takes in prog are just different variations of what JP has already done.  These young guitarists aren't re-inventing the wheel or anything.  JP has all those years of experience and notoriety under his belt.  I'm not exactly sure how much more progression can be expected from a person who has already reached the pinnacle of his craft.  It's a well deserved honor from those who are fans of prog.

Some of the stuff Tosin Abasi has done like his thumb picking thing is something Petrucci's never done as far as I know.

The link below is a video from that list and again, I don't see how it's a variation on Petrucci's playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTxSXUzc96A

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2019, 01:07:59 PM »

Some of the stuff Tosin Abasi has done like his thumb picking thing is something Petrucci's never done as far as I know.

The link below is a video from that list and again, I don't see how it's a variation on Petrucci's playing.

Tosin's thumb picking technique is pretty impressive, but it's not something he came up with either, nor it's anything "new". He got it from Evan Brewer when they played in a band together and Evan learned it from Reggie and Victor Wooten (both of who have been doing this for decades).

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2019, 03:53:16 PM »

Not all of them. JP isn't the be all end all of guitar technique, I've heard plenty guitarists do things he's never done, or rarely done if he's ever done it in the first place. I think people are misinterpreting my comments here. I'm not saying he has to progress more. He's under no obligation to do so. He's earned every bit of praise he gets. I'm just saying that I think some of the other people in that list deserve the top spot for this year more. Just my two cents. Of course it is a well deserved honor from those who are fans of prog. No duh. Not sure how to be much clearer about this just being my opinion and not trying to say he's under any obligation to 'be better.' I just think some younger guitarists are doing more interesting things that I've never heard JP do, like what Yvette Young does, or even compared to what he did on Distance Over Time (which, by the way, he did a fantastic job on; they are some of his best riffs and soloing in years, and he's more consistent with the good bits than he's been in a long time imo).

Offline DT1138

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 07:53:12 PM »
I'm a big DT fan, but not really a prog guy otherwise, and I'll admit that I've never heard of most of the others on the list.  But after sampling them, all those other players just sounded like they were doing very random technical noodling to me.  I basically get nothing musical out of what they are playing.

Now I'm not saying they aren't talented - believe me, I think they certainly are - but at the end of the day, all the great playing skills in the world won't get you more listeners other than a very limited hardcore fan base if your music basically amounts to what sounds like atonal, free jazz type of music.  In fact, a lot of it reminded me of some of Frank Zappa's more way out stuff that I admire for it's virtuosity, but I just don't really get and thus don't like to listen to. 

I realize I've kind of stepped outside the purposes of the list with these ideas, but that is precisely the point - it takes more than just skills to be a great guitarist.  In fact, I would say it's technical guitar skills combined with song writing capabilities, stage presence, other abilities (can sing, etc).

Personally, I would pick John as #1 because he is all of those things.  His solo material from the G3 DVD from the mid 2000's is what drew me to him in the first place, as well as to Dream Theater afterward.   It's also because plays very memorable melodies besides all the technical wizardry he is capable of. In fact, I think some of John's best playing is the slower melodic passages that he does like the solo for "Repentance".   And I really think John upped his playing for DoT as well.

Just my 2 cents.  So go ahead, you can throw rocks at me now  :lol :lol

And congrats to JP regardless!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
I'm a big DT fan, but not really a prog guy otherwise, and I'll admit that I've never heard of most of the others on the list.  But after sampling them, all those other players just sounded like they were doing very random technical noodling to me.  I basically get nothing musical out of what they are playing.

Now I'm not saying they aren't talented - believe me, I think they certainly are - but at the end of the day, all the great playing skills in the world won't get you more listeners other than a very limited hardcore fan base if your music basically amounts to what sounds like atonal, free jazz type of music.  In fact, a lot of it reminded me of some of Frank Zappa's more way out stuff that I admire for it's virtuosity, but I just don't really get and thus don't like to listen to. 

I realize I've kind of stepped outside the purposes of the list with these ideas, but that is precisely the point - it takes more than just skills to be a great guitarist.  In fact, I would say it's technical guitar skills combined with song writing capabilities, stage presence, other abilities (can sing, etc).

Personally, I would pick John as #1 because he is all of those things.  His solo material from the G3 DVD from the mid 2000's is what drew me to him in the first place, as well as to Dream Theater afterward.   It's also because plays very memorable melodies besides all the technical wizardry he is capable of. In fact, I think some of John's best playing is the slower melodic passages that he does like the solo for "Repentance".

Just my 2 cents.  So go ahead, you can throw rocks at me now  :lol :lol

And congrats to JP regardless!

I think you made a great point and agree with what you said, so no rock throwing from me :tup

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »

Tosin's thumb picking technique is pretty impressive, but it's not something he came up with either, nor it's anything "new". He got it from Evan Brewer when they played in a band together and Evan learned it from Reggie and Victor Wooten (both of who have been doing this for decades).

I don't think I've heard of Evan Brewer but I'm a little familiar with Wooten's double thumb (or thump?) technique. So we are in agreement that Abasi's playing (and the playing in the video I posted from the OP link) isn't a variation on what Petrucci has already done?

About Reggie Wooten. Doesn't he mostly play that strange instrument he created? How does he do the double thumb (or thump) on that thing?

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2019, 01:28:10 PM »

Lindsey Buckingham was doing it 40 years ago.  Maybe he shoulda got the award.  :lol

Not all of them. JP isn't the be all end all of guitar technique, I've heard plenty guitarists do things he's never done, or rarely done if he's ever done it in the first place. I think people are misinterpreting my comments here. I'm not saying he has to progress more. He's under no obligation to do so. He's earned every bit of praise he gets. I'm just saying that I think some of the other people in that list deserve the top spot for this year more. Just my two cents. Of course it is a well deserved honor from those who are fans of prog. No duh. Not sure how to be much clearer about this just being my opinion and not trying to say he's under any obligation to 'be better.' I just think some younger guitarists are doing more interesting things that I've never heard JP do, like what Yvette Young does, or even compared to what he did on Distance Over Time (which, by the way, he did a fantastic job on; they are some of his best riffs and soloing in years, and he's more consistent with the good bits than he's been in a long time imo).

I'm not really talking about technique.  If something sounds different and more interesting, that isn't a valid comparison in the context of what it means to win this award.  Like mentioned above, that technique has been around for decades.  It isn't anything groundbreaking that deserves an award of this magnitude.  So, when you say some of the other players on the list deserve the top spot, well...no they don't.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2019, 02:43:12 PM »
Okay, so, first... I guess I forgot to add 'in my opinion' to the end of every sentence.  :) Second, I also didn't say those guitarists were using never-before-seen techniques. Third, I was specifically referencing those guitarists doing things I haven't heard JP do. When you say 'fresh takes are just variations on what JP has done' well, I disagree with that. That implies that JP was the genesis for everything modern guitarists are doing, and implies JP is an influence on every single guitarist, which I don't think is a provable (or believable, given the number of guitarists out there in the world) fact. At the end of the day we're talking about opinions, so, to cap off this entire post, everything I'm saying is (more or less) my opinion.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2019, 02:48:49 PM »
Congrats to JP, he's my favorite guitarist and I'm sure he won based on his work on D/T which is a stellar album and I personally found his guitar work to be fantastic on it so he is deserving IMO.  He may not be the best "up and coming" but I find it hard to argue he isn't "the best today".  I'm biased, he's certainly my favorite but saying who is best in art is going to be very debatable and overall, fairly meaningless.