Author Topic: The Jacket...  (Read 6782 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
The Jacket...
« on: December 07, 2019, 09:47:50 AM »

So about 2 weeks ago I see this jacket come up in my Facebook feed and I fell in love with it. As time went by I started obsessing about wanting to buy the jacket. Its only $90.00 which is a great price!
So yesterday I said to my wife I really want to order that jacket!
So as I got home from work my 19 year daughter and my wife sat me down to give me a harsh dose of reality...
My daughter Bri says...
"Dad I hate to say this to you and please don't take it the wrong way but that jacket is just too cool for you. Its an awesome jacket but I don't don't thinks its age appropriate for you. You are 55. Its more a jacket for someone who is 27. I just don't you can pull it off. Sorry."

My wife says, sorry honey I agree.

So...
That was tough to swallow. I'm older maybe I'm not seeing it the way I should?
Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:11:02 AM by Tick »
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Jacket...
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 10:04:00 AM »
Tell them it's  how it will make you feel and isn't that important?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 10:15:35 AM »
Tell them it's  how it will make you feel and isn't that important?
I now feel self conscious about it. Now I am thinking, well perhaps they are right? I thought of it as an awesome jacket and now something I can't pull off.

Its brutal that at 55 I have to look at something like that jacket in that way. Or maybe they are off? Who knows, but at this point even though I was told, "if you really want it get it"
I feel like I don't want to anymore.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 10:16:29 AM »
Well, my weight limits my style so
 I feel ya.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:04 AM »
I pull a Cartman and say, "SCREW YOU, I DO WHAT I WAAANT!!!!" 

I'm 50, and reading that it's not age appropriate just makes me want it more.   I'll wear it with my Utilikilt!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:32:42 AM »
A person cool enough to wear that jacket would just buy the jacket

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 10:38:47 AM »
I pull a Cartman and say, "SCREW YOU, I DO WHAT I WAAANT!!!!" 

I'm 50, and reading that it's not age appropriate just makes me want it more.   I'll wear it with my Utilikilt!!
:tup

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 10:42:53 AM »
A person cool enough to wear that jacket would just buy the jacket

Well this is me still fronting my band Empires Past just 2 weeks ago and kicking ass with our all original music project. So I don't think I'm uncool. But my self esteem took a hit so perhaps I'm not as cool as I think I am.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
Personally don’t see the issue here. That jacket looks awesome!
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
I'm 51 and I would definiteley wear that jacket...
Bought a new leather jacket this autumn that was not like this one but also cool looking. Makes me feel good to wear it so why not this jacket for you.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2019, 01:34:36 PM »
If it fits your size, go for it. Induments cool enough like that work fine on everyone. Heck, I just turned 40 and this is the gift I received:

https://www.emp-online.it/dw/image/v2/BBQV_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master-emp/default/dw5744ee19/images/3/4/6/8/346851za.jpg?sfrm=png

And I can't wait for the next concert to wear them  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online PetFish

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2019, 06:32:48 PM »
My prediction is that they're going to get it for you for Xmas and are just trying to throw you off.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »
My prediction is that they're going to get it for you for Xmas and are just trying to throw you off.

Oooooh!  This is a goid one!  Rich, wait until after Christmas!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 03:03:06 AM »
Fuck them, buy the jacket.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 03:04:18 AM »

So they just crush his soul in the meantime and then pull it out on XMas and say, 'nah, jokes, here you go.'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 06:46:23 AM »

So they just crush his soul in the meantime and then pull it out on XMas and say, 'nah, jokes, here you go.'

What else is family for?  :)

I've had that conversation as well, and largely the fam is right.  I make up for it in other ways, but I do think my fashion days are over. That they are right doesn't mean I won't wear it though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2019, 07:13:58 AM »

Yes.  I've had it done to me before  lol

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2019, 01:17:28 PM »
I’d bet anything they ain’t buying this for me. They are not good enough actors to be as convincing as they were in shooting me down on this jacket.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2019, 03:07:38 PM »
I’d bet anything they ain’t buying this for me. They are not good enough actors to be as convincing as they were in shooting me down on this jacket.

That's what I'm saying.  It would be downright cruel to sit you down and say this and then buy it for you.  And not to mention a complete mindfuck that would make you self conscious if you even tried to wear it.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 04:15:34 PM »
Cruel from his wife and daughter?

If so, they think they are being honest. I was in the Other Banks 5 years ago.  I rented a bike and rode it like a 15 year old.  My weight said otherwise.   I got 2 flats. It was a sign.  Lol.

Still, I did it and I had fun.  It's up to Rich to make himself happy. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Honestly, I don't think there's anything wrong with the jacket. I mean, I'd turn the collar down. It may be a ruse by the fam to surprise Tick. Maybe they're jealous. One day ..jacket. The next day..20 y/o bimbo.  :lol

I think I'd need more info on how that conversation actually went.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 05:43:32 PM »

To say those things and put them those thoughts through his head only to be a trick and buy it for him anyway.  That's where I was coming from.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 05:59:05 PM »
Buy the jacket and wear it, IF after you have wore it YOU don't like it, return it!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2019, 06:23:02 PM »
I'm 38 and I'd feel like a right wanker wearing a jacket like that. Doesn't mean a 55-year-old can't wear it though. Get what you want!  :metal
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2019, 06:40:28 PM »
I don't get the cruel thing.  Maybe it's my family, but I love my wife and my kid, and vice versa (I think), but they wouldn't hesitate even for a second to say "Yo, grampa, that jacket ain't for you."  My kid debated getting me a can of tennis balls for my fiftieth, on the rationale that I would need them for the inevitable walker.     

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 04:08:42 AM »
I don't get the cruel thing.  Maybe it's my family, but I love my wife and my kid, and vice versa (I think), but they wouldn't hesitate even for a second to say "Yo, grampa, that jacket ain't for you."  My kid debated getting me a can of tennis balls for my fiftieth, on the rationale that I would need them for the inevitable walker.   

Them telling him he is too old for the jacket isn't cruel, but saying that and then buying the jacket is what I mean.  I guess you wouldn't think about it again if they purchased the jacket, but saying that reason for not getting the jacket as a lie to get him off the trail to surprise him just seems like something that would hit home regardless.  Dunno, I'm probably thinking too much into it.

Offline v_clortho

• Keymaster of Gozer
  • King of DTF
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
I think you should dress your age to appease your wife and daughter. Get some pants that you can hike up to your armpits. After dressing like that for a week then bring up the jacket again. Maybe it won't look so bad.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 06:44:51 PM »
Fuck it.

Buy the jacket.

YOLO

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline T-ski

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 07:31:22 PM »
So this doesn’t have anything to do with the Adrien Brody movie?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
So this doesn’t have anything to do with the Adrien Brody movie?

Herrick was thinking the same thing.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 12:09:25 AM »
The Seinfeld episode also is a pretty good one.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2019, 03:19:15 AM »
I used to be a fashion photographer for some top brands back in the day. I’ve met and worked with a lot of people you wouldn’t believe, and most of them were eager to share their opinions, which were often bizarre. One of the things I’ve learned is there aren’t very many rules, and most of the archaic guidelines are ignored. If I was still in the field and we were friends and I magically put you, your wife, and your daughter in a room filled with super models like Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Alessandra Ambrosio, and a handful of others in the fashion world and they over heard that discussion? Well, it would be a unanimous rebuttal explaining how they’re wrong, and they’d all say in unison “Buy the fucking jacket!”

It’s not a toddlers onesie, it’s a jacket. Wear it and enjoy it!  :hat

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »

To say those things and put them those thoughts through his head only to be a trick and buy it for him anyway.  That's where I was coming from.
Trust me my wife and daughter would not play a game like that. My daughter was giving her honest opinion. That being said they said  if you want it go for it.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2019, 11:11:22 AM »
Guaran-mother-fucking-teed if you told your wife that a piece of clothing she wanted to wear wasn't appropriate for her, in your opinion, you'd be in some serious shit and be met with "What do you know about women's clothing"?

I mean, I don't know your wife, but I suspect that would be a pretty standard response from any woman who was given the same "dose of reality" that you were given.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2019, 01:17:52 PM »

Hey Tick,

I just ordered this jacket for myself. I'm 58. Ask your wife and daughter if it's age appropriate for me.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens