6 (9.5%)
Avenged Sevenfold
3 (4.8%)
Circus Maximus
1 (1.6%)
Pain of Salvation
4 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Author Topic: Would you partake in another League Format game?  (Read 986 times)

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
Would you partake in another League Format game?
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:29:08 AM »
With the Dream Theater League winding down I wanted to see if there was any interest in doing a league for another artist/band? The ones that I would love to do are options above. Vote for as many as you want and/or comment with any write ins.

With the DT League being so long this year, thinking I won't do another one until at least 2021, but if anyone wants to run a DT Survivor, feel free.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Would you partake in another League Format game?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 08:39:15 AM »
Metallica, POS, kamelot and Symph X

Though with Kamelot and Symph X, the first two or so albums I’d have to miss out on.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
Metallica, POS, kamelot and Symph X

Though with Kamelot and Symph X, the first two or so albums I’d have to miss out on.

I'm in the same boat with Kamelots pre-Khan stuff. If we go with one of those bands will vote to see which albums (if any) are omitted.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 08:46:22 AM »
I'd probably participate in Haken and Metallica leagues.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 10:31:22 AM »
Metallica would probably be the most participation though I can already guess that MoP will be the winner.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2019, 10:44:11 AM »
Metallica would probably be the most participation though I can already guess that MoP will be the winner.

I agree but part of the fun it's the journey, not the destination. It was fun to vote week after week in the DT league and rooting for your favorite songs and hoping this or that song wouldn't be eliminated, the point is to enjoy the ride, we all know anyway that Metropolis or Learning to Live or Octavarium or A Change of Seasons will win in the end.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
The only one of these bands I know is Haken, but I'm always up for more of these League-format tournaments. It might be a bit awkward for some bands, but I'm always hopeful that we'll start seeing more Leagues instead of survivors. I prefer the positive voting, for the songs you want to win rather than the songs you want to eliminate. And whether you go by a win-loss record, or a points system, ties aren't as stifling to the progress of the tournament as they are in Survivor.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
I like both, a league obviously is more engaging but takes more efforts, survivors are cool as well but I think they should be tailor-suited to the discography of a band, and at the very least giving more slots to songs from favorite albums, rather than the usual "top 2 songs to the finals" approach. To make an example with Iron Maiden, all the classic albums of the '80s have basically 8 songs and the critically panned Virtual XI has 8 songs, there's no way that Virtual XI gives to the finals The Clansman and... what, Futureal? and Seventh Son of a Seventh Son gives only two out of The Evil that Men Do, The Clairvoyant, Infinite Dreams and the title track. Or with Metallica if you will, two songs from Master of Puppets and two from St. Anger which would lose to all the other 6 songs of Master anyway?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2019, 04:06:38 PM »
Haken, Metallica, and Avenged Sevenfold leagues would be awesome!
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
Working on Haken and Metallica.

Metallica fans, if you were to exclude 3 of the following songs from the league, what would they be?

(Anesthesia) – Pulling Teeth
Hate Train
Hell and Back
I Disappear
-Human
Just a Bullet Away
Rebel of Babylon

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »
Hate Train, Hell and Back and one between Bullet and Babylon.

Why Anesthesia should be excluded when it's the only song published on an actual album?

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2019, 12:26:25 PM »
I wouldn’t exclude any of them personally, but I think Hate Train, Hell and Back, and Just a Bullet Away will really have a hard time getting votes. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth will probably struggle too, but since it’s on an album, it should have a spot in the league. Just out of curiosity though, why would three songs have to be excluded?
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2019, 12:32:23 PM »
I wouldn’t exclude any of them personally, but I think Hate Train, Hell and Back, and Just a Bullet Away will really have a hard time getting votes. (Anesthesia) Pulling Teeth will probably struggle too, but since it’s on an album, it should have a spot in the league. Just out of curiosity though, why would three songs have to be excluded?

So running a league with an odd number of songs would be a nightmare. The reason I want to cut 3 versus 1 is because cutting 3 would get us down to 112. with is far easier to generate a schedule for than 114.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2019, 12:39:41 PM »
Do a single preliminary round for all the non album tracks. The worst three are eliminated.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2019, 12:53:55 PM »
Do a single preliminary round for all the non album tracks. The worst three are eliminated.

Good idea!

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54592.0

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2019, 05:45:06 PM »
Of those listed, Metallica is the only one I'd have interest in/know enough material to participate intelligently.  The only downside to that is that a rather extensive survivor was done for Metallica within the last year.

I'd be interested in:

Rush
Fates Warning
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 01:43:02 AM »
I'd be totally down for Judas Priest as well!  :metal

Pity Nightwish and Shadow Gallery didn't get more votes.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 07:21:17 AM »
I'd be totally down for Judas Priest as well!  :metal

Pity Nightwish and Shadow Gallery didn't get more votes.

Shadow Gallery is my second favorite band, so I may do one after the Haken league even if there's only 5 of us voting.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2019, 12:00:20 PM »
Haken
Symphony X
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 12:17:42 PM »
I'd probably participate in Haken and Metallica leagues.
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.