General > General Music Discussion

My life as told by the albums that shaped me: now featuring: DT (2 of 4)

(1/19) > >>

Max Kuehnau:
Following on from bosk's thread about classic albums of the 1970s and 1980s (and my involvement commenting on them) and some people like Kattie asking me about when I'll do my version of that, I'd love to do that now. Of course, I strongly encourage you to comment if you want and elaborate if you want. (or tell me I suck, that's okay) This will be a different idea though: I will feature albums I listened to,(which I still love today, yes, there will be some by DT as well, don't worry), as seen from the point in time when I discovered them and I'll tell you what I remember from these points in time. We will begin with my earliest memories aged 2 going on to the present day. Should be a fun ride in case you'll be along for it with me. So without further ado, I'll start with my earliest musical memories:

Genesis: The Way We Walk (The Shorts And The Longs) and Foxtrot (you'll see why I grouped them together), my age: 2
 I had taught myself how to operate a CD player at that age (remember these things?) and I had toddled towards my father's CD shelves. The highest I could reach was the "G" section and I randomly picked Genesis: The Way We Walk. I put the CD in, pressed play, Land Of Confusion hits, and I'm fascinated by that massive drum sound. (I thought: wow, what is that? I don't know but it's great. I have to play that instrument). Once that album finished, my father threw on the The Longs half of the album. This was my introduction to what progressive music was. I was thrilled by what Genesis were doing and by what Phil Collins played. After that, I found Foxtrot. (and we know Supper's Ready and Watcher Of The Skies are on that album). And so it began. He still is one of my heroes as a drummer (and a musician in general) to this day. Thanks for the spark, PC.

Edit: One aspect (or probably more than one) I forgot to mention initially: Seeing as I was fascinated by what Phil played, I obviously was banging on everything I found that made a noise. I could easily hear four beats in a measure and so I could teach myself how to play the easier Genesis pieces almost instantly. That wasn't the case with Supper's Ready. I could hear that there were more than four beats in a measure during that piece (and particularly during Apcocalypse in 9/8), and I could figure out one part at a time, but when I finally got a drum kit at age 5, I failed miserably at it, although I found out what happened in the intervening years. (and no, I didn't know there were odd meters in there or triple-factor polyrhythms, but mentally I could pull it all off. I don't know why, but it goes to show what a genius Phil was IMHO) Ah the stupid attempts of the complete beginner I was at the time with a full mouth already :D

The Walrus:
 :corn :metal

pg1067:
Clarification needed:

At the age of two you were recognizing that most songs had four beats per measure and that some songs were different???!!!

I have no recollection of anything from the first few years of my life, but my best guess is that I was still pooping my pants and, while I might have been banging on things (as most toddlers did), I doubt very much I had any concept of even basic music theory.

Max Kuehnau:

--- Quote from: pg1067 on December 05, 2019, 03:51:00 PM ---Clarification needed:

At the age of two you were recognizing that most songs had four beats per measure and that some songs were different???!!!

I have no recollection of anything from the first few years of my life, but my best guess is that I was still pooping my pants and, while I might have been banging on things (as most toddlers did), I doubt very much I had any concept of even basic music theory.

--- End quote ---
yes, I'm not lying. (I can't actually, the concept of lying is odd to me, which means I wouldn't be a good politician), the theory aspect came up much later, I always played by ear until I was 14 and learned to sightread. I don't know why I could hear so (comparatively) intricately this early in my life. But apparently I was able, otherwise I wouldn't know about it or talk about it here.

pg1067:

--- Quote from: Max Kuehnau on December 05, 2019, 03:54:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: pg1067 on December 05, 2019, 03:51:00 PM ---Clarification needed:

--- End quote ---
yes, I'm not lying. (I can't actually, the concept of lying is odd to me, which means I wouldn't be a good politician), the theory aspect came up much later, I always played by ear until I was 14 and learned to sightread.

--- End quote ---

That's absolutely astonishing (and I say that not only as someone who once was two years old but who also raised two kids)!  And, FWIW, I wasn't suggesting you might be lying.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version