Author Topic: My life as told by the albums that shaped me: now featuring: DT (2 of 4)  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Following on from bosk's thread about classic albums of the 1970s and 1980s (and my involvement commenting on them) and some people like Kattie asking me about when I'll do my version of that, I'd love to do that now. Of course, I strongly encourage you to comment if you want and elaborate if you want. (or tell me I suck, that's okay) This will be a different idea though: I will feature albums I listened to,(which I still love today, yes, there will be some by DT as well, don't worry), as seen from the point in time when I discovered them and I'll tell you what I remember from these points in time. We will begin with my earliest memories aged 2 going on to the present day. Should be a fun ride in case you'll be along for it with me. So without further ado, I'll start with my earliest musical memories:

Genesis: The Way We Walk (The Shorts And The Longs) and Foxtrot (you'll see why I grouped them together), my age: 2
 I had taught myself how to operate a CD player at that age (remember these things?) and I had toddled towards my father's CD shelves. The highest I could reach was the "G" section and I randomly picked Genesis: The Way We Walk. I put the CD in, pressed play, Land Of Confusion hits, and I'm fascinated by that massive drum sound. (I thought: wow, what is that? I don't know but it's great. I have to play that instrument). Once that album finished, my father threw on the The Longs half of the album. This was my introduction to what progressive music was. I was thrilled by what Genesis were doing and by what Phil Collins played. After that, I found Foxtrot. (and we know Supper's Ready and Watcher Of The Skies are on that album). And so it began. He still is one of my heroes as a drummer (and a musician in general) to this day. Thanks for the spark, PC.

Edit: One aspect (or probably more than one) I forgot to mention initially: Seeing as I was fascinated by what Phil played, I obviously was banging on everything I found that made a noise. I could easily hear four beats in a measure and so I could teach myself how to play the easier Genesis pieces almost instantly. That wasn't the case with Supper's Ready. I could hear that there were more than four beats in a measure during that piece (and particularly during Apcocalypse in 9/8), and I could figure out one part at a time, but when I finally got a drum kit at age 5, I failed miserably at it, although I found out what happened in the intervening years. (and no, I didn't know there were odd meters in there or triple-factor polyrhythms, but mentally I could pull it all off. I don't know why, but it goes to show what a genius Phil was IMHO) Ah the stupid attempts of the complete beginner I was at the time with a full mouth already :D
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 05:12:50 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: My life as told by the albums that shaped me: now featuring: Genesis
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2019, 03:28:35 PM »
 :corn :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online pg1067

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »
Clarification needed:

At the age of two you were recognizing that most songs had four beats per measure and that some songs were different???!!!

I have no recollection of anything from the first few years of my life, but my best guess is that I was still pooping my pants and, while I might have been banging on things (as most toddlers did), I doubt very much I had any concept of even basic music theory.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2019, 03:54:43 PM »
Clarification needed:

At the age of two you were recognizing that most songs had four beats per measure and that some songs were different???!!!

I have no recollection of anything from the first few years of my life, but my best guess is that I was still pooping my pants and, while I might have been banging on things (as most toddlers did), I doubt very much I had any concept of even basic music theory.
yes, I'm not lying. (I can't actually, the concept of lying is odd to me, which means I wouldn't be a good politician), the theory aspect came up much later, I always played by ear until I was 14 and learned to sightread. I don't know why I could hear so (comparatively) intricately this early in my life. But apparently I was able, otherwise I wouldn't know about it or talk about it here.

Online pg1067

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
Clarification needed:

yes, I'm not lying. (I can't actually, the concept of lying is odd to me, which means I wouldn't be a good politician), the theory aspect came up much later, I always played by ear until I was 14 and learned to sightread.

That's absolutely astonishing (and I say that not only as someone who once was two years old but who also raised two kids)!  And, FWIW, I wasn't suggesting you might be lying.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2019, 04:04:58 PM »
Clarification needed:

yes, I'm not lying. (I can't actually, the concept of lying is odd to me, which means I wouldn't be a good politician), the theory aspect came up much later, I always played by ear until I was 14 and learned to sightread.

That's absolutely astonishing (and I say that not only as someone who once was two years old but who also raised two kids)!  And, FWIW, I wasn't suggesting you might be lying.
Don't fret, I didn't think so.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »
Following for sure.  Very similar situation for me, except I was five and it was Three Sides Live on vinyl.  Phil had that same impact on me as well.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2019, 07:02:28 PM »
I had taught myself how to operate a CD player at that age (remember these things?)

CDs now =/= Vinyl in the 90's.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 01:34:27 AM »
Following for sure.  Very similar situation for me, except I was five and it was Three Sides Live on vinyl.  Phil had that same impact on me as well.
yes, 3SL is so great as well, that actually was one of the first VHS tapes I watched as a child (and of course I listened to the live album some time later as well), In The Cage absolutely floored me at the time. What a live album. (and of course, now I love to watch the Blu ray version of the thing, which I highly recommend) Since you mentioned you were five when you discovered Genesis and Phil, the first groove I ever played (rather badly I think) at age five on my first drum kit was In The Air Tonight (Land Of Confusion right afterwards)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 05:57:26 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2019, 01:34:50 AM »
I had taught myself how to operate a CD player at that age (remember these things?)

CDs now =/= Vinyl in the 90's.
apparently so, yes

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2019, 07:41:25 AM »
The three-and-a-half, four minutes of the Medley - between "In The Cage" proper and "Afterglow" is probably my favorite recorded bit of music ever.  I just love the power that Tony and Phil summon with the way their instruments intertwine.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
Clarification needed:

yes, I'm not lying. (I can't actually, the concept of lying is odd to me, which means I wouldn't be a good politician), the theory aspect came up much later, I always played by ear until I was 14 and learned to sightread. I don't know why I could hear so (comparatively) intricately this early in my life. But apparently I was able, otherwise I wouldn't know about it or talk about it here.

Can I ask, and you can say it's none of my business, what you mean when you say you *can't* lie?  I don't know if I've ever encountered someone who has (seriously) said they've never told a lie, much less someone who's said that they can't.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 09:29:52 AM »
Clarification needed:

Can I ask, and you can say it's none of my business, what you mean when you say you *can't* lie?  I don't know if I've ever encountered someone who has (seriously) said they've never told a lie, much less someone who's said that they can't.
what I mean by that is that I can only be honest (brutally, to the point of hurting people, although never intently. It happened here though I'm sure, which may be why I'm not that well liked here and indeed elsewhere. Not that I'm disturbed by it though) and anytime I don't know the truth, I remain silent. No lies told. (I would guess that it may have to do with me being on the autism spectrum, although I'm not sure if it has to do with that. I wouldn't be surprised if it did though because I have a hard time to empathise with people and you have to do that in order to lie I think, or tell them what they want to hear, even if it's not true. Not my thing. Never has been, never will.)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:41:22 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline Lethean

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
Clarification needed:

what I mean by that is that I can only be honest (brutally, to the point of hurting people, although never intently. It happened here though I'm sure, which may be why I'm not that well liked here and indeed elsewhere. Not that I'm disturbed by it though) and anytime I don't know the truth, I remain silent. No lies told. (I would guess that it may have to do with me being on the autism spectrum, although I'm not sure if it has to do with that. I wouldn't be surprised if it did though because I have a hard time to empathise with people and you have to do that in order to lie I think, or tell them what they want to hear, even if it's not true. Not my thing. Never has been, never will.)

Thanks for responding.  I don't lie often, but it's something I'll definitely do in social situations in order to spare someone's feelings, so it's interesting to read another perspective.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 10:41:54 AM »
My stepson is on the spectrum, and it's odd.   He occasionally lies (mostly by omission) and he certainly knows how to "color" a story if it might get him in trouble (or jeopardize his perqs), but in the vast majority of instances, it never occurs to him to lie.  If you ask him "honey do I look fat in this dress?" it doesn't occur to him to say "oh, it looks great on you" or "but it makes your eyes pop!" that any compassionate husband would say.  He would likely say "no, I don't like that color" or "it makes your hips curve funny", very matter of factly.   

It's not being mean, it's just that, like I said, there's not that interim step of "how is this going to be received".  I love my stepson - truly, he's a gentle, kind, exceedingly smart boy - but he is an absolute "zero" at reading a room.   (We have to watch him when on vacation; he loves going from the pool to the hot tub.  We've had to go "rescue" couples that are looking for a little alone time in the hot tub, because he will just sit right down and start talking, oblivious to the circumstances.)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
The three-and-a-half, four minutes of the Medley - between "In The Cage" proper and "Afterglow" is probably my favorite recorded bit of music ever.  I just love the power that Tony and Phil summon with the way their instruments intertwine.
I know which one you mean. Killer.

Online pg1067

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 12:36:09 PM »

You and I have mentioned this many times, but that whole "medley" of ITC/Cinema Show/Slipperman/Afterglow is one of the best 17 minutes of recorded live music ever and probably my favorite bit of recorded keyboard work.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

You and I have mentioned this many times, but that whole "medley" of ITC/Cinema Show/Slipperman/Afterglow is one of the best 17 minutes of recorded live music ever and probably my favorite bit of recorded keyboard work.
yes, Banksie is one tasteful player indeed (imagine Genesis without him, oh no no)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 10:49:20 AM »
I'll post the next album tomorrow. I'm surprised and amazed that everyone is so interested.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Re: My life as told by the albums that shaped me: now featuring: Yes
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2019, 05:34:07 AM »
Album no. 2: Yes: Close To The Edge (still age 2)

The "Y" section was the lowest I could reach and I've seen this green front cover and the odd logo. Yes were the second Prog band I discovered (still age 2). I loved every aspect of the music by itself and the big picture of it all. Jon's voice, Wakie's keys, Howe and Squire as well, as well as Bill Bruford's drumming. Fantastic. (all of them heroes of mine) (and I discovered the influence CTTE had on DT later, particularly when I first heard Illumination Theory, but more on that when there will be an installment on DT12) I've seen Yes live twice in the classic lineup as well in 2003 and 2004, met them afterwards as well. I was in paradise during these gigs. I could have picked any Yes album up until 90125, but I picked my first one. It's still the Yes album I listen to the most. (bonus hint: take a look at the inside gatefold. This is where it's at for me :D )

« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 11:52:44 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2019, 12:57:13 PM »
I really need to listen to this record. Stadler sent me Going For The One in my first roulette here, and that changed my tune on Yes (I can't stand a single one of their radio singles, I really dislike them). Great stuff and I always hear about Close to the Edge. That's a very young age to get into Yes, I wonder if it just embedded itself into your brain at that malleable young age. I'm fascinated by the things people hear in their infancy and how that might affect their tastes and views throughout life. Cool stuff.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2019, 01:01:37 PM »
I really like GFTO as well and you could use that as an introduction to the classic (i.e up until 90125) Yes albums, but I'd recommend Fragile, CTTE and The Yes Album. (and possibly Drama)

Online pg1067

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
My introduction to Yes was probably Owner of a Lonely Heart and then 90125, which I experienced in real time.  My best friend got a car while we were in high school (this would have been 1983-84) that had an 8-track player and a box of tapes.  One of those tapes was Tales from Topographic Oceans, and I think CTTE was also in there.  I think we listened to each once or twice and found them too weird and didn't listen to them again.  My REAL introduction to "classic" Yes didn't come until the mid- to late 80s, and I don't remember what came first, but at some point in learning bass I got hold of a transcription of Roundabout in Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine.  I recall, in 1987, hanging out at the apartment of the guy who played guitar in all my bands and listening to CTTE.  He had a CD player that could loop portions of a song, and I remember spending hours learning the part that starts after the first "aaah!" (around 2:01).  I could never play like Chris Squire (aside from the fact that I didn't play with a pick), but I always counted him as one of my major influences because of his off-the-wall lines and creativity.  I also remember taking a road trip up Pacific Coast Highway in 1991 or 1992 and my friend and I air drumming and air keyboarding with Close to the Edge.  That album is pretty much perfection from start to finish.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2019, 01:37:54 PM »
Yeah TFTO is an odd one to introduce people to IMHO (I don't hate it, Wakie OTOH does, he thinks it's his worst acheivement with Yes), because it's so weird that you don't really have too much to "latch on to" as it were. CTTE has these accessible parts throughout it. (the pinnacle being And You And I, could be a prog fan's wedding song :D )

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
I really need to listen to this record. Stadler sent me Going For The One in my first roulette here, and that changed my tune on Yes (I can't stand a single one of their radio singles, I really dislike them). Great stuff and I always hear about Close to the Edge. That's a very young age to get into Yes, I wonder if it just embedded itself into your brain at that malleable young age. I'm fascinated by the things people hear in their infancy and how that might affect their tastes and views throughout life. Cool stuff.
Well, my father has always been a Yes fan and so he told me that they're a cool band (which they were, of course), he never forced it on to me, I discovered most these "infancy" albums by myself. Of course I'm grateful for that kind of upbringing. My parents know.

Online pg1067

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
Yeah TFTO is an odd one to introduce people to IMHO (I don't hate it, Wakie OTOH does, he thinks it's his worst acheivement with Yes), because it's so weird that you don't really have too much to "latch on to" as it were. CTTE has these accessible parts throughout it. (the pinnacle being And You And I, could be a prog fan's wedding song :D )

"And You and I" was played at my wedding reception back in 1996.  Our first dance song was the single edit of "Quartet: iv. I'm Alive" by Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_rTzsGGVyk

TFTO is definitely not entry-level Yes.  The live version of "Ritual" on Yesshows was my intro to TFTO, but it took a fair amount of time to fully warm up to it.  Nowadays, I even enjoy "The Ancient."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 04:12:29 PM »
Interesting.  I didn't notice this thread before, but Yes of course caught my attention.  But the thread started with Genesis and some talk about the medley on Three Sides Live, which I happened to be playing as I was reading about it, so that was fun.

I have nothing meaningful to contribute, but I'll follow.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
Re: My life as told by the albums that shaped me: now featuring: Sade
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2019, 06:04:03 AM »
Album No. 3: Sade: Diamond Life (lifelong, but I threw it on by myself age 3)

One could say that a child is a combination of one's parents' best aspects (I don't agree in general, but for the sake of my musical discoveries, I think it applies). From what my father exposed me to to what my mother exposed me to: She has always been a fan of Led Zeppelin and Sade (strange combination, but that's her DNA) She had always played it to keep me from crying as a baby and sung me to sleep with it. (I even was told it was played to me while in her womb and me being conceived to it :D, seriously) Again an album (and a band) where I loved every aspect in and of itself and combined. It's maddening how perfect their music is (to me), so few notes all in their correct places. Any note more and it would collapse.  Yes, it's not prog, but I'm not limited to prog, I love all styles of music, given they're played cleanly. This is one such case. I've seen them live 3 times in 2011 (was too small to see them in 1993 and they didn't tour Europe because of 9-11 in 2001), these were the best concerts I ever attended to date, and it's incredibly hard to please me.
(clarification: nowadays, I always say "cleanly", it wasn't like that during my childhood, I just loved music and never analysed it, because I didn't know anything apart from the fact that there can be for beats in a measure, or more as you've read already. There was a traumatic incident during my youth that changed all of that though, more on that later)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 07:04:28 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2019, 10:05:13 AM »
Seeing the thread title change, I was thinking here’s where Max gets laid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2019, 10:06:13 AM »
Seeing the thread title change, I was thinking here’s where Max gets laid.
what a plot twist though

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »
Well, he was doing complex polyrhythms at 2, so him getting a little nookie at 3 isn't out of the question.   

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2019, 11:24:35 AM »
Well, he was doing complex polyrhythms at 2, so him getting a little nookie at 3 isn't out of the question.
you crack me up, thanks, seriously

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2019, 11:30:10 AM »
All in fun, bud.  All in fun.   :tup

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2019, 11:31:10 AM »
All in fun, bud.  All in fun.   :tup
of course

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2019, 11:34:14 AM »

Depending on the ages involved, he could be doing both! 5 over 3 is pretty prog!

I got turned onto a Sade album recently, and it's pretty smooth stuff. I love listening to it at night.