Author Topic: London  (Read 6290 times)

Offline geeeemo

London
« on: December 04, 2019, 05:06:37 PM »
I am fortunate enough to be able to travel to London to see the show in Feb. I am super excited about going to London, but I have no idea about where should we stay and how to manage anything. Is is similar to a concert experience in the states? Is public transportation good? (although I would love to try my hand at driving on the other side  :biggrin:) Any other must sees while we are there?

Thanks!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: London
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 01:43:16 AM »
I traveled to London on holiday some time ago (2012), and while I didn't attend any concerts there, I can tell you that public transportation is extremely good there (although it's expensive, but that's London for you I'm afraid). Great sights to see too (British Museum is actually free to visit btw)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 11:24:26 AM »
thanks!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:06:03 PM »
Forgot to mention: In case you're into art, you'll have fun in both Tate galleries (Tate and Tate Modern), and don't forget to take that famous crosswalk too :D

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 05:41:53 AM »
I would really recommend that you DO NOT drive in London. Do not even think about driving in London. Not only is the traffic a nightmare, it's all but impossible to get around, even with a satnav, as many junctions are impossible unless you know exactly what you're doing. The Underground is very good, and there are stations just about everywhere, especially in the centre of the city, so you shouldn't need to drive anywhere.

There is so much to do in London I wouldn't know where to start advising you. See the sights, visit the museums and galleries, however long you're staying for it won't be enough to see a fraction of it.

Hotels are really expensive, mind. If you're on a budget, consider a "pod" type hotel - there's a few of them springing up around the city. Budget hotels tend to be further out, and quite some distance from the city centre.

As for the concert - Hammersmith Apollo is a nice theatre, but it's on a main road, and there's no car parking or anything at the venue itself. The underground station is across the street, so it's easy to get to. See you there!
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 06:24:20 AM »
London is my favorite city in the world, and as The Curious Orange says, don't even think about driving. When you get off the plane at Heathrow buy a one week Oyster Card at the Underground ticket booth and ride it into town, schlep your bags to the hotel and unpack. From there you can get all over the city on the tube.

My must sees are the Tate Modern, The British Museum (two days is best), The Tower of London (get some fish and chips at the little stand near the entrance to the left), Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, ride the Eye of London, get dinner and go shopping in Covent Garden.

If you have time, there's the V&A Museum, Science Museum, Harrod's, Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park, Portrait Museum and Trafalgar Square, and taking a train from Waterloo Station to Windsor Castle (which will take most of a day but is very cool).

Between the Underground and walking all of this stuff is within easy reach. Take someone else's checkbook though... shit is expensive there.  ;)

Have fun!

Edit: As for where to stay; pretty much anywhere you can get a decent deal. We've stayed in numerous places all over the city but probably enjoyed our stay in Kensington the most (across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station).  There's a little church nearby that frequently has free concerts in the evenings. Lots of good places to eat are nearby as well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 06:33:02 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 12:19:44 PM »
thank you so much for the info!! We definitely will have some great options!

One other thing. Is it cooold? If I need a coat, will it be a pain at the venue?
thanks!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
London is my favorite city in the world, and as The Curious Orange says, don't even think about driving. When you get off the plane at Heathrow buy a one week Oyster Card at the Underground ticket booth and ride it into town, schlep your bags to the hotel and unpack. From there you can get all over the city on the tube.

My must sees are the Tate Modern, The British Museum (two days is best), The Tower of London (get some fish and chips at the little stand near the entrance to the left), Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, ride the Eye of London, get dinner and go shopping in Covent Garden.

If you have time, there's the V&A Museum, Science Museum, Harrod's, Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park, Portrait Museum and Trafalgar Square, and taking a train from Waterloo Station to Windsor Castle (which will take most of a day but is very cool).

Between the Underground and walking all of this stuff is within easy reach. Take someone else's checkbook though... shit is expensive there.  ;)

Have fun!

Edit: As for where to stay; pretty much anywhere you can get a decent deal. We've stayed in numerous places all over the city but probably enjoyed our stay in Kensington the most (across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station).  There's a little church nearby that frequently has free concerts in the evenings. Lots of good places to eat are nearby as well.
especially Thai and Indian restaurants (my favourite cuisines in the world), the ones in London are really really good, some of the best ones in Europe I went to. And I agree, London (and probably New York City as well) is my favourite city in the world as well. I was there for five days and I would have needed 50 to see everything I would have wanted.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 02:55:44 PM »
thank you so much for the info!! We definitely will have some great options!

One other thing. Is it cooold? If I need a coat, will it be a pain at the venue?
thanks!

Not frigid, like say Minnesota in February (there are ocean currents that moderate England's temperatures some) but with the humidity, what cold there is, can cut right through you. It depends on your tolerance for cold, but yes, a coat would be wise. I have no idea about at the venue.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2019, 03:23:56 PM »
I'm attending the 2nd London show, just a quick visit, arriving saturday (22/2), leaving sunday. I've been to London several times. The National Gallery is really worth a visit, especially Hans Holbeins' The Ambassadors (if you're into 16th century painting). Public transport is good. A pint of lager is a bit pricy though ;D

Offline Tim van Duijn14

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
I'm also going to the 2nd show! First time going to London and first time travelling alone!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »
I'm also going to the 2nd show! First time going to London and first time travelling alone!

Where from?? How exciting!!! :metal

Offline jbrum77634

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2020, 04:58:35 AM »
Any newbies to London and Hammersmith shouldn't be too concerned about getting back after the show using the underground - 5 lines run 24hrs now on Friday and Saturday nights including the Piccadilly Line which is at Hammersmith.

You can actually park easily around the area after 6-6.30pm for free but wouldn't advise it for first time visitors.

Offline Tim van Duijn14

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2020, 06:52:27 AM »

Where from?? How exciting!!! :metal

From Katwijk, The Netherlands

Offline |KirK|

• DT Addicted
  • Seize The Day
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2020, 07:37:13 PM »
I'm going to the 2nd show (from Italy). I booked everything, but I'm still waiting for my ticket... I bought it on gigsandtours.com, have you already received it?!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 08:25:02 PM »
It probably won't happen, but part of me still expects them to pull a couple surprises on the setlist for these two shows (they'll most likely just play the same setlist lol)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 04:35:02 AM »
Also going to the second show, on my own.  Who's up for a DTF meetup?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 12:28:32 PM »
Also going to the second show, on my own.  Who's up for a DTF meetup?

I'm in..

Offline Tim van Duijn14

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 07:02:19 AM »
Due to circumstances i have a ticket for sale for the show on the 22nd of february. It's a Row B ticket (2nd row!). I don't need to remind you that the show is being recorded for a DVD release. DM me if you're interested.

Offline catedradiaz

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 01:52:32 PM »
hey hello, I have 2 tickets to sell for the 22th!!!
my email is catedradiaz@gmail.com
phone 07762598912
circle block 3 Row Y seat 44 and 45

thank you!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2020, 04:25:41 PM »
Anyone know of any decent pubs nearby?

Offline hacko

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 05:04:41 AM »
There's a semi-new craft beer pub in the shopping centre ( as soon as you exit the tube district/piccadilly lines ) kinda pricey, there's also Duke of Cornwall behind the apollo, but nothing that stands out.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 02:56:28 PM »
We are going several hours early to pick up our tickets for the Saturday show. Afterward, we will probably go hit a pub, maybe the first one mentioned above. If anyone else wants to show up, that would be fun!!

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2020, 07:28:42 AM »
Yay! Seeing DT again tomorrow night!

Now, if only the trains can get me there...

Offline twanky

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2020, 02:05:03 PM »
Thinking the exact same thing....Train from Leeds

Yay! Seeing DT again tomorrow night!

Now, if only the trains can get me there...
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2020, 12:22:09 AM »
We are going several hours early to pick up our tickets for the Saturday show. Afterward, we will probably go hit a pub, maybe the first one mentioned above. If anyone else wants to show up, that would be fun!!

Well, i'm in! So it's gonna be the Duke of Cornwall or another pub?  :tup

Btw, how, in general, are the payment possibilities in London pubs? Preferably cash or card?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »
We will go to the Duke of Cornwall. Not sure of the time. Want to get in the line to get into the venue by 7 when it opens. So maybe 5 and eat something also...As far as money. We are from the US. Card seems to be the best.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »
Have fun, guys! 

@geeeemo:  Are you doing aftershow?  If so, say hi to JP and James for me (use my real name--I'm not even sure they would know who you were talking about if you used my forum name).  And if you remember and have an opportunity, tell James that, upon Chloe's insistence, I checked out Switchfoot and think they are pretty cool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2020, 12:01:42 PM »
I wish!! I got my one opportunity I think. No VIP either. Cant afford it every time, and my hubby is just “Along for the Ride”. But, if somehow I get lucky, I will for sure! :heart :heart

Offline Blokhut

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2020, 12:56:53 PM »
Duke of Cornwall it is. Probably afterwards ::)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2020, 02:11:11 PM »
I wish!! I got my one opportunity I think. No VIP either. Cant afford it every time, and my hubby is just “Along for the Ride”. But, if somehow I get lucky, I will for sure! :heart :heart

Just go up to Maddi and pretend you know him, and he'll get you in.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2020, 05:14:55 PM »
Wow, that was pretty stunning, wasn't it? And some of us get to do it again tomorrow night too! Yippee!

Seriously, between the last tour and this one it's starting to look like the band are pulling themselves out of the doldrums...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2020, 08:23:42 AM »

Just go up to Maddi and pretend you know him, and he'll get you in.  :biggrin:

Lol!! I thought of bringing my sticker from the last time!

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2020, 08:25:18 AM »
I think we are heading to the distillers before. My hubby and I aren't much for Thai.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2020, 10:39:48 AM »
I think we are heading to the distillers before. My hubby and I aren't much for Thai.

I’m just having a quick beer in that craft beer place, will be heading there or Duke next. Looking forward to the show.