Dream Theater > Concerts and Set Lists

London

<< < (2/9) > >>

Podaar:
London is my favorite city in the world, and as The Curious Orange says, don't even think about driving. When you get off the plane at Heathrow buy a one week Oyster Card at the Underground ticket booth and ride it into town, schlep your bags to the hotel and unpack. From there you can get all over the city on the tube.

My must sees are the Tate Modern, The British Museum (two days is best), The Tower of London (get some fish and chips at the little stand near the entrance to the left), Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, ride the Eye of London, get dinner and go shopping in Covent Garden.

If you have time, there's the V&A Museum, Science Museum, Harrod's, Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park, Portrait Museum and Trafalgar Square, and taking a train from Waterloo Station to Windsor Castle (which will take most of a day but is very cool).

Between the Underground and walking all of this stuff is within easy reach. Take someone else's checkbook though... shit is expensive there.  ;)

Have fun!

Edit: As for where to stay; pretty much anywhere you can get a decent deal. We've stayed in numerous places all over the city but probably enjoyed our stay in Kensington the most (across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station).  There's a little church nearby that frequently has free concerts in the evenings. Lots of good places to eat are nearby as well.

geeeemo:
thank you so much for the info!! We definitely will have some great options!

One other thing. Is it cooold? If I need a coat, will it be a pain at the venue?
thanks!

Max Kuehnau:

--- Quote from: Podaar on December 13, 2019, 06:24:20 AM ---London is my favorite city in the world, and as The Curious Orange says, don't even think about driving. When you get off the plane at Heathrow buy a one week Oyster Card at the Underground ticket booth and ride it into town, schlep your bags to the hotel and unpack. From there you can get all over the city on the tube.

My must sees are the Tate Modern, The British Museum (two days is best), The Tower of London (get some fish and chips at the little stand near the entrance to the left), Westminster Abbey, St Paul's Cathedral, ride the Eye of London, get dinner and go shopping in Covent Garden.

If you have time, there's the V&A Museum, Science Museum, Harrod's, Buckingham Palace and Hyde Park, Portrait Museum and Trafalgar Square, and taking a train from Waterloo Station to Windsor Castle (which will take most of a day but is very cool).

Between the Underground and walking all of this stuff is within easy reach. Take someone else's checkbook though... shit is expensive there.  ;)

Have fun!

Edit: As for where to stay; pretty much anywhere you can get a decent deal. We've stayed in numerous places all over the city but probably enjoyed our stay in Kensington the most (across the street from the Gloucester Road tube station).  There's a little church nearby that frequently has free concerts in the evenings. Lots of good places to eat are nearby as well.

--- End quote ---
especially Thai and Indian restaurants (my favourite cuisines in the world), the ones in London are really really good, some of the best ones in Europe I went to. And I agree, London (and probably New York City as well) is my favourite city in the world as well. I was there for five days and I would have needed 50 to see everything I would have wanted.

Podaar:

--- Quote from: geeeemo on December 13, 2019, 12:19:44 PM ---thank you so much for the info!! We definitely will have some great options!

One other thing. Is it cooold? If I need a coat, will it be a pain at the venue?
thanks!

--- End quote ---

Not frigid, like say Minnesota in February (there are ocean currents that moderate England's temperatures some) but with the humidity, what cold there is, can cut right through you. It depends on your tolerance for cold, but yes, a coat would be wise. I have no idea about at the venue.

Blokhut:
I'm attending the 2nd London show, just a quick visit, arriving saturday (22/2), leaving sunday. I've been to London several times. The National Gallery is really worth a visit, especially Hans Holbeins' The Ambassadors (if you're into 16th century painting). Public transport is good. A pint of lager is a bit pricy though ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version