Author Topic: Very good, but OVERLONG songs?  (Read 4967 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Very good, but OVERLONG songs?
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 12:20:28 PM »
There's no such thing as an overlong song. Every song is exactly as long or as short as it needs to be.

Don't you think I'm a saviour
Don't you think I could save you
Don't you think I could save your life

:rollin :rollin
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
So my opinion is wrong again. Fanbloodytastic. It's mob rule round here. You have to tow the party line or else you get destroyed.

Dude, settle down. You're overreacting. Nobody ever said anything close to "you have to tow the party line" - you just said something a lot of people apparently disagree with. That's quite literally it. You can take it personally or you can tell everyone to suck eggs like I would 'cause your opinion's just as valid :neverusethis:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 12:32:22 PM »
Your opinion is not wrong. This whole thread is based on opinion of what you think is too long (for a song).

It feels like it, a lot of the time. I very rarely see anyone stating that they agree with my opinions, however the opposite is frequently true. And those people feel they need to tell me as such. I just state my opinions, is all. I don't expect (or want) anything in return, really. It just is what it is. Each song is exactly the length it needs to be.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2019, 12:58:13 PM »
Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic - 30 minute song  Great song that takes all kinds of twist and turns.
NOOOOOO way! This song is perfection and every bit as long as it needs to be!  :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2019, 01:04:48 PM »
Your opinion is not wrong. This whole thread is based on opinion of what you think is too long (for a song).

It feels like it, a lot of the time. I very rarely see anyone stating that they agree with my opinions, however the opposite is frequently true. And those people feel they need to tell me as such. I just state my opinions, is all. I don't expect (or want) anything in return, really. It just is what it is. Each song is exactly the length it needs to be.
If we're being philosophical about what songs "need" to be, then no song needs to exist at all. I'm fairly sure this thread isn't about "need", it's about what people feel about songs. E.g. where you like the music/sound, but you find the song drags on.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2019, 01:09:17 PM »

I've written songs, recorded them, produced them (with what little means I have) and essentially finished them. Then later on I realized it could have been trimmed.

This thread isn't asking if songs are objectively overlong (at least I don't think so, I tend not to read WildRangers posts too deeply), it's asking if we think they're too long.

Hell, you want to hold my beer? I think 2112 is overly long. You're welcome, now no one is concerned with your opinion.

Again

2112 is too long.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2019, 01:10:27 PM »
2112 is boring as hell and shouldn't be anywhere near as long as it is.

You're welcome, Adami.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2019, 01:11:00 PM »

You're welcome, Adami.  :lol

Thanks! (you're wrong though)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »
Layla.  The first three minutes are gold, and the rest is garbage.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2019, 01:29:21 PM »

That is really a hot take. 2112 is one of Rush signature songs.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2019, 01:33:30 PM »

I completely agree. In fact, that whole song is WAAAYYY overrated.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »

Actually, in a sense, I agree with you. I'm not a big one for telling the artists I listened to what they "should do"; I want to hear THEIR ideas.   Not to say there aren't moments I secretly wish were different, but generally, songs are what they are.  I get you.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2019, 01:57:14 PM »
As far as overly-long Rush songs go, 2112 is not the first that comes to mind at all. (Looking at you, Fountain of Lamneth.)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
As far as overly-long Rush songs go, 2112 is not the first that comes to mind at all. (Looking at you, Fountain of Lamneth.)

I was looking at Hemispheres.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2019, 02:14:42 PM »
Hell, you want to hold my beer? I think 2112 is overly long. You're welcome, now no one is concerned with your opinion.

Again

2112 is too long.

But do you still think the song is 'very good'? Because that's what the OP is asking.

Actually, I have no idea what he's asking. A song that's objectively very good, but 'overlong'? What is 'very good'? When is it 'overlong'? Or 'very good' despite being 'overlong' (whatever that means)? I can't think of anything I would call 'very good' despite being 'overlong', if you define 'overlong' as being 'longer than it 'needs' (again, what?) to be'. On the other hand, I can think of many a song that's widely considered to be 'very good' that's also 'overlong' compared to the majority of songs. Am I over-thinking this? Perhaps, but what if the premise of the OP's question is just way too vague and too open to interpretation for there to be a correct answer? I can't even give a personal (subjective) answer to the question at the hand.

Whaaa :splode:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2019, 02:16:50 PM »
Deliverance by Opeth is the first that comes to mind. That repetitive outro could be shorter.

Oh no...... don"t cut out the best part

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2019, 02:34:21 PM »
I took the OP to mean songs that would be good if they were shortened/condensed, without necessarily rewriting it from the ground up.

Maybe it has a cool riff or groove, but it gets drawn out to the point of meaninglessness (someone brought up Opeth's Deliverance, which i feel totally applies).

Or maybe it has good moments peppered throughout, but is padded out with equally as many uninteresting moments as well. (For me, Fountain of Lamneth fits the bill).

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2019, 02:37:22 PM »
Beardfish - Sleeping in Traffic - 30 minute song  Great song that takes all kinds of twist and turns.
NOOOOOO way! This song is perfection and every bit as long as it needs to be!  :metal

Actually, I love the song as is, but lots of folks, especially hearing the song the first time, would be like wtf, is this ever going to end.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
I love a lot of long DT songs, but Black Clouds in particular suffers from overlong syndrome. Not a single song on that album I wouldn't cut something from, except Wither.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2019, 03:41:36 PM »
I love a lot of long DT songs, but Black Clouds in particular suffers from overlong syndrome. Not a single song on that album I wouldn't cut something from, except Wither.

I actually think The Count of Tuscany does a good job at not sounding as long as its length, which is always a good thing with songs that long.  The lyrics drag it down to the point where I never listen to it anymore, but I don't think it needed any musical trimming, generally speaking.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2019, 04:01:58 PM »
The only time a songs length bothers me is when there's some pointless noise/ambient bullshit tacked on at the end of it. I'm referring to songs like The Fluke by Devin Townsend and... well like a fourth of the songs by Periphery.

Offline WildRanger

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

Are we talking about original version by Derek & Dominos?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2019, 04:25:07 PM »
You're insane.

Absolutely NOT. That second half (I always call it "coda") is just BEAUTIFUL and I almost like it better than the far more famous first part.

It's ok for the first 30-60 seconds, but it's bloody interminable.

So my opinion is wrong again. Fanbloodytastic. It's mob rule round here. You have to tow the party line or else you get destroyed.

Dude, settle down. You're overreacting. Nobody ever said anything close to "you have to tow the party line" - you just said something a lot of people apparently disagree with. That's quite literally it. You can take it personally or you can tell everyone to suck eggs like I would 'cause your opinion's just as valid :neverusethis:

Seriously.  And, since RoeDent's opinion was to disagree with the very premise of the thread, it's not surprising he got some disagreement, but certainly no one "destroyed" or attempted to destroy him (heck, I got more "destroyed" for my opinion about Layla).

Another candidate for this thread would be DT's Misunderstood -- for the same reason as Layla.  The main part of the song is great.  The end section is fine for about 30 seconds, but after that I move on.

Are we talking about original version by Derek & Dominos?

I was.  I think the acoustic version Clapton did in the early 90s is downright awful because it lost one of the most epic riffs in rock history.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2019, 04:41:29 PM »

I actually think The Count of Tuscany does a good job at not sounding as long as its length, which is always a good thing with songs that long.  The lyrics drag it down to the point where I never listen to it anymore, but I don't think it needed any musical trimming, generally speaking.

And that intro is :hefdaddy
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Ruba

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2019, 06:00:45 PM »
There's no such thing as an overlong song. Every song is exactly as long or as short as it needs to be.

To be honest, I love that song and I wouldn't cut anything from it. But I also listen to it very rarely.

I also like Don't Look to the Eyes of the Stranger.  :-X

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2019, 06:17:24 PM »
I love Master of Puppets, but I always thought it was one verse too long.

HARD disagree. Puppets is probably my favorite song ever in the 8-10 minute range. Perfectly executed metal epic.

My vote goes for So Many Roads by Neal Morse. Love that song, love the message. But at almost 30 minutes, I just can’t listen to it much anymore. Don’t know what you could cut, but there’s probably a section of “So many roads...” repetitions that they could have gotten rid of.

The funny thing is... the demo (found on the Waterfall streaming app... which is so worth getting) is even longer than the studio version. They actually lifted Children of the Chosen directly out of the middle of So Many Roads, so it was originally well over 30 minutes. I have since edited a version of the studio tracks together and it’s pretty cool. But now it’s WAY too long.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2019, 08:51:38 PM »

The first song that popped into my head was Church Of Your Heart by TFK. The first 6 minutes or so is one of my all-time favorite sections of music from them, but the song drags for an extra 3 minutes of unnecessary stuff.

I think I agree.  I like the song, but it's easily the song from Stardust We Are I listen to the least, largely because it always feels too long and if I am going to dedicate 9-10 minutes to a single song, I am going for something a lot better.

My vote goes for So Many Roads by Neal Morse. Love that song, love the message. But at almost 30 minutes, I just can’t listen to it much anymore. Don’t know what you could cut, but there’s probably a section of “So many roads...” repetitions that they could have gotten rid of.

While I know what you mean, I love it as it is.  There are a few minutes there where it does feel like the song is kind of swimming in circles (I guess what is called the "All the Way to the Grave" section), but the first three and last two parts are all so damn great that I can deal with the song being a bit too long in general thanks to the padding in part four.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2019, 11:02:21 PM »

It feels like it, a lot of the time. I very rarely see anyone stating that they agree with my opinions, however the opposite is frequently true. And those people feel they need to tell me as such. I just state my opinions, is all. I don't expect (or want) anything in return, really. It just is what it is.

I disagree with that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »
There is not a single song that has even been released that is the appropriate length for a song, which is either 0.0000000000011885 picoseconds or 10.5 billion years
Bull of Heaven would like to have a word with you, considering they have songs covering both extremes of your randomly chosen times  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline dparrott

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2019, 11:56:56 PM »
Cutting a minute off DT's Repentance would make me like the song more.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #65 on: December 04, 2019, 12:08:12 AM »
I love Master of Puppets, but I always thought it was one verse too long.

So Many Roads has some beautiful moments, but I'd rank it in the lower 10% of Neal's epics. His 20min+ songs are always composed of several shorter songs, but he usually manages to tie them together so that they work as one piece (Stranger In Your Soul, World Without End). But So Many Roads is the one of his songs where that approach worked least.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2019, 01:43:17 AM »
I always felt the Mew song Rows went on for 2, maybe 3 minutes too long. I think it's basically perfect for 7-8 minutes and had it ended with that big synth climax I would have loved it, but they kinda tagged on a 2-3 minute instrumental part at the end that changes the mood of the song a bit. That part in itself isn't bad but I feel had the song ended 2-3 minutes earlier, it would have been my favorite song by them and now it's "only" in my top5.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2019, 02:18:58 AM »
Nightwish's intro for The Greatest Show on Earth goes on forever. And the outro as well. It's like the doctor ordered a 24 minutes song at all costs.
Just went through the thread - if that ain't the truth I don't know what is! Come to think of it, that's probably why I like the album more than some other people, I just skip most of that song so I make EFMB into a short, fun, easy breezy experience  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2019, 02:24:56 AM »
Moonloop by Porcupine Tree (any version)

I know it's long because it's an improv jam, but I like to pretend it doesn't exist, because I love the rest of The Sky Moves Sideways so much.

E: Whoops, just read "overlong" and not "very good" :lol
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 10:04:04 PM by ? »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2019, 02:34:41 AM »
Moonloop by Porcupine Tree (any version)

I know it's long because it's an improv jam, but I like to pretend it doesn't exist, because I love the rest of The Sky Moves Sideways so much.

What, nooo!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey