Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - At Wit's End (OFFICIAL ANIMATION VIDEO)  (Read 4476 times)

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
Re: DREAM THEATER - At Wit's End (OFFICIAL ANIMATION VIDEO)
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 12:21:57 AM »
And I can see why I've stopped posting here or reading the board for a while now.
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Lupton

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 12:43:46 AM »

I mean, the song itself is already dealing with the topic. Telling a friend to check out an extremely bleak and depressing video isn't exactly much different from telling them to listen to a song which conveys the exact same message. Depressing subject matters aren't exactly uncommon in the world of metal after all, so I don't see the issue here.

I agree that that'd be a terrible idea for ELP, but I feel like that's largely related to how poorly the song is already written. At Wits End really wouldn't be doomed right out of the gate in that regard.

Well maybe you have a point considering that this band isn't exactly known for its breathtaking music videos, but I think with the aid of good direction, acting, & scripting, it could make the concept into a really poignant video. Sure it has a risk of backfiring if anything is half-assed, but I think that that'd be really subject to the time & budget of the project.

As for examples, I'd point to Metallica's Confusion as a good way to deal with a serious topic in a music video. It's not completely literal, but it's just symbolic enough to induce the emotions related to combat trauma without making it hard to take seriously. I don't see how DT couldn't do something like that, besides budget concerns or something.

I mean, obviously it's DT's choice whether they want to make a video like that, & I'm not demanding them to do it or anything, but I'm also not going to deny that I think there's a chance that they could make it work, & it'd be amazing to see them do something like that successfully.
You are totally right (in theory). I just don't think they could pull this kind of thing off without a the right combination of luck/skill/vision.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 01:40:16 AM »
Though, I would guess that, given that what it was intended to serve as (a screen film for the live show), it may serve well.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »

I mean, the song itself is already dealing with the topic. Telling a friend to check out an extremely bleak and depressing video isn't exactly much different from telling them to listen to a song which conveys the exact same message. Depressing subject matters aren't exactly uncommon in the world of metal after all, so I don't see the issue here.

I agree that that'd be a terrible idea for ELP, but I feel like that's largely related to how poorly the song is already written. At Wits End really wouldn't be doomed right out of the gate in that regard.

Well maybe you have a point considering that this band isn't exactly known for its breathtaking music videos, but I think with the aid of good direction, acting, & scripting, it could make the concept into a really poignant video. Sure it has a risk of backfiring if anything is half-assed, but I think that that'd be really subject to the time & budget of the project.

As for examples, I'd point to Metallica's Confusion as a good way to deal with a serious topic in a music video. It's not completely literal, but it's just symbolic enough to induce the emotions related to combat trauma without making it hard to take seriously. I don't see how DT couldn't do something like that, besides budget concerns or something.

I mean, obviously it's DT's choice whether they want to make a video like that, & I'm not demanding them to do it or anything, but I'm also not going to deny that I think there's a chance that they could make it work, & it'd be amazing to see them do something like that successfully.
You are totally right (in theory). I just don't think they could pull this kind of thing off without a the right combination of luck/skill/vision.

Well, in my opinion, they already have done something like this and that was with the 2nd The Enemy Inside video.  I thought it was really well done, and tackled a sensitive topic in an engaging and moving way.

Granted that was done with a different record company with deeper pockets, but I do think it is at least an example of what IDontNotDoThings is trying to say.

I think At Wit's End could have benefited greatly from a similar video treatment.

We didn't get that so it's kind of a mute point, but here's to wishing.  :)
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2019, 08:08:16 AM »

Plenty of "depressing" videos have been popular.  Off the top of my head, MTV played the heck out of "One" (Metallica), "Jeremy" (Pearl Jam), and even "House of Pain" (Faster Pussycat).

We didn't get that so it's kind of a mute point, but here's to wishing.  :)

*moot*

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2019, 08:08:58 AM »
I believe you both mean that it's a moo point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2019, 08:09:26 AM »
 :cow:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »
I already don't care for music videos, so why would I stare at that for 9 minutes when I can just listen to the CD? Even if I loved music videos, why would I watch that? If anything, I'd open a new tab and do something else while listening. I hope the animator got paid for their pointless work.