Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - At Wit's End (OFFICIAL ANIMATION VIDEO)  (Read 4442 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: DREAM THEATER - At Wit's End (OFFICIAL ANIMATION VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2019, 11:19:50 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYEwb6cJYf0&feature=youtu.be

:metal

While this vid.....and the others like this they've released are very visually 'cool'.....It'd be cool to see something a little more varied. I know they're  not going to go old school MTV music video......and the vids like TNMB or SOA where the band is in a room and they're just playing along to the track with random shots of each are just at tired.....so, I guess there really isn't much else you can do than either some animation video or the 'band shoot' vids. Although I really dug the vid for 'Unteathered Angel'

I just realized while typing that I'm getting to be one sour old man. I can bitch about pretty much anything.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 01:17:24 PM »
The video is just OK.  I think I'm getting a little tired of these animation videos that were done this time around.  If they did something like what they did with Forsaken I think I'd like it a lot more.  But this song is so amazing!  Dream Theater really stepped up to the plate with this album.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 01:19:47 PM »
Great song, couldn't care about the video.  I'm not really into animation videos.  At that point they are better off throwing the lyrics with it and making it a lyric video where the animation is just another part of it.  That would give reason to actually watch it, there's no reason to watch this.  Listen away though, best song on D/T IMO.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 01:33:52 PM »
Great song, couldn't care about the video.  I'm not really into animation videos.  At that point they are better off throwing the lyrics with it and making it a lyric video where the animation is just another part of it.
I agree. I can understand them doing an animation/lyric video for the very first single released before the album to whet the appetites of the fans. Then follow it up with an in-studio video like they did for UA (which reminds me a lot of what Rush did for their Moving Pictures album). And finally do a proper conceptual for one other song. Personally, I'd trade in all those other animated videos for just one properly done video.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 01:42:49 PM »
Great song, couldn't care about the video.  I'm not really into animation videos.  At that point they are better off throwing the lyrics with it and making it a lyric video where the animation is just another part of it.
I agree. I can understand them doing an animation/lyric video for the very first single released before the album to whet the appetites of the fans. Then follow it up with an in-studio video like they did for UA (which reminds me a lot of what Rush did for their Moving Pictures album). And finally do a proper conceptual for one other song. Personally, I'd trade in all those other animated videos for just one properly done video.

Yea, there's no real reason to watch this video over saying just playing this (official audio from DT's own youtube channe): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esFpjtPV7TE which has almost 500k views compared to this lyric video which won't top that (at least not for a long time).  Since everything ends up on youtube these days (usually officially too) I'm not against releasing lyric videos for every song and then doing one or two real ones with some artistic expression (not animation like this) but more so like bands used to do where the video might tell a story.  Something that makes you actually want to watch it essentially.   And have all those be the official videos / audio and get rid of these double videos where neither servers much purpose besides listening to it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2019, 10:09:16 PM »
Another non-lyric animation video?  Seriously?  C'mon, man.

DT would benefit greatly by showing the guys playing.  I really don't understand the logic of just doing these videos so much.

Just shoot some live footage and cut it into the animation video if you want, ezpz, I'll do it.  But by NOT showing the guys actually playing I think they're hurting their chances to bring in new fans. 

Animation videos are, um, nice, and I'm sure a lot of hard work goes into them, but DT play their shit, it's what they do, and not showing them playing their shit is a questionable choice.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 10:23:57 PM »
Given the subject matter of the song, this was a perfect opportunity to make a video that would have been talked about.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online geeeemo

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2019, 11:00:52 PM »
I took the time to watch this. I didnt like it. I am sure it is art and all that, but it was boring. They all are. If they can't do music videos with the band, they shouldn't spend the money. I doubt I will ever watch the dvd of the videos I got with my art book. Too bad, I love and spend way too much time listening and watching other DT stuff. I just don't see the appeal. Sorry to be negative, it's just kind of a bummer.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2019, 11:10:32 PM »
Ehhh, well, gotta keep the graphic design intern at InsideOut busy I guess.

Offline Bentower

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 01:13:22 AM »
I'm guessing this is double duty for the background video they use live. Doesn't make for a good supplement to the studio version IMO.
The splashes of flour or whatever during JP's melody were pretty 'eww'. Bringing in colour for that part was an obvious thing to do, but a good call nevertheless. It could've worked better with just the tree, though.

I love every single note of the song. I think it deserved something a lot better.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2019, 01:18:29 AM »
Given the subject matter of the song, this was a perfect opportunity to make a video that would have been talked about.

Indeed, missed opportunity. Even though the subject matter is so delicate that it would have potentially drawn detractors and accuses of being corny or superficial or overly dramatic or whatever, it's hard to please everyone's views on such an issue.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2019, 07:22:16 AM »
Just a reminder,

All these animation non-lyric videos were mean to be played on stage while the band performs. All these videos animation videos are the same that were used for the NYC release party, the album trailer and the DVD (limited edition box?). You can see the video playing here, and it works in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNxP5m4IMIQ

With that said,I wish they would've done something more with this. This is the only song in the album that from beginning to end, you can kind of paint an image in your head of what is happening. This song could have a very elaborate music video with it, the kind that tells a story.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2019, 08:29:53 AM »
I am with you guys. I was bored as heck about 25 seconds into the video. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
Why waste our time with that shit? How about a cool live video of the song? Seems Metallica is posting a live song everyday.

I totally understand where people are coming from, and I still rate Dream Theater as my favorite band. Love the albums, love the concerts (click track discussion not withstanding) but they seem to be doing everything they can do to unengage me as a fan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
Why waste our time with that shit? How about a cool live video of the song?

Probably because it costs next to nothing to use the existing live animation for the song and put the video up on YouTube, whereas shooting, compiling, editing, and synching live video takes time and money.  This approach costs them almost nothing. 

I'm not saying it's optimal.  But I get why they would do it.  But I'm with you guys in that it brings nothing new to the table for most of us and is unlikely to reach a significant number of people that they would want to market to, whereas a live video or concept video might have a bigger impact.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2019, 08:43:42 AM »
Yeah, I don't mean to be harsh.

It costs nothing because it's basically worthless. Like Cram said, at least make it a lyric video. The song has great lyrics.

Or how about mounting a camera on the soundboard and posting that? I get frustrated because all this is is a half assed tease.

Maybe I'm grumpy. :lol

I guess I just want more..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »

It costs nothing because it's basically worthless. Like Cram said, at least make it a lyric video. The song has great lyrics.

Or how about mounting a camera on the soundboard and posting that? I get frustrated because all this is is a half assed tease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNEW042p0CM

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2019, 08:54:04 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin

OK, I take that back. :lol

Offline Lupton

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2019, 09:51:17 AM »
I guess money is tight these days..  :laugh:

Most people I know listen to a lot of their music on Youtube. People who aren't invested in any band are just going to type into the search and click on whatever 1st comes up. Something like this could simply be cheap way of giving something extra to go along with the music to any non-fans who may stumble across the song. Since they already have this thing prepared for their backscreen onstage stuff, it costs the band $0 to just put it out there as a more interesting alternative to a static screencap of the album cover going along with the music. It could appeal to casual listeners who couldn't care less about the lyrics and certainly have no inclination to waste any time "following the bouncing ball" so to speak. Someone simply looking to listen to the song may pull this up on their giant-ass-big-screen-home-entertainment-thingee and have it going on in the background as they're doing the dishes, washing the carpet or whatever. I do get the impression that these things are not meant to be experienced with full rapt attention -- more like a freebie to go along with the music?

Just trying to puzzle out the reasoning for these things. As fans we sometimes tend to get overly myopic about this stuff.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2019, 09:54:03 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNEW042p0CM

That is what I am talking about.. :o

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 12:15:26 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I did enjoy the Paralysed animation video, but so far that's the only one.

Perhaps these later releases are intended to generate new interest in the album over the course of it's first year of release.  If this is the case, then I hope it works because D/T is a very fine album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 12:20:56 PM »
I don't know about the rest of you but I did enjoy the Paralysed animation video, but so far that's the only one.

I barely enjoyed the song itself...

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 12:33:24 PM »

I barely enjoyed the song itself...

lol, well it certainly isn't among the top songs on the album, but it sure has a killer intro imho.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 01:30:52 PM »
If MP's bands can manage to shoot live videos on far tighter budgets, then DT can afford to at least do that, if not something more (no pun intended).
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 01:47:38 PM »
Unpopular opinion: I really like animated music videos, as opposed to just random clips of the band playing at some concert. I don't mind so much when it's done in the style of Untethered Angel or A Rite of Passage, since there's something different to it. Even if it's not on the level of Forsaken, I like to at least see a bunch of cool aesthetics. If I want to see the band playing, I'll look up a video of them performing, or watch a live album.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
Personally, I like the Enemy Inside video.  It's not the band playing and it's not animation.  But it's a lyric video with an artistic expression.  I find these to be the best of both worlds these days.  It's low budget, gives you the lyrics (so a reason to watch), and it's not boring.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 10:58:02 PM »
Just a reminder,

All these animation non-lyric videos were mean to be played on stage while the band performs. All these videos animation videos are the same that were used for the NYC release party, the album trailer and the DVD (limited edition box?). You can see the video playing here, and it works in the background.

Exactly, so why release them as "official videos" when they're no good for anything except live-show backgrounds?

If MP's bands can manage to shoot live videos on far tighter budgets, then DT can afford to at least do that, if not something more (no pun intended).

No kidding, man, it's actually embarrassing that DT can't seem to put out something of them playing other than backyard BBQ footage.  I don't need a drumcam video with 80 commentary tracks, but these official video releases are supposed to showcase the band, and they just don't.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 11:04:48 PM »

I don't think anyone is really saying they can't afford it.  I know I can afford a lot of things that, rightly or wrongly, I don't see the need to spend money on. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lupton

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 01:50:42 AM »
Exactly. It's simply just a screensaver to go along with the audio. No reason why they can't get double duty out of it by putting out on YouTube.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 04:00:19 AM »
Is it just me, or is the song's mix considerably worse in this video than it is on the album? :huh:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline PetFish

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 04:12:22 PM »
Exactly. It's simply just a screensaver to go along with the audio. No reason why they can't get double duty out of it by putting out on YouTube.

Yes, and that's all it is:  a screensaver.  It should not be promoted as an "official video" when it's like "meh, we had this thing done, let's just throw it out there."  If it at least had lyrics on it that would be something, but still not worthy of being something I'd want to put out to promote my band.

Don't need to have a script and actors or anything, just cut in some live footage, or even studio rehearsals.  C'mon, man.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 08:36:36 PM »
Yes, and that's all it is:  a screensaver.  It should not be promoted as an "official video" when it's like "meh, we had this thing done, let's just throw it out there."  If it at least had lyrics on it that would be something, but still not worthy of being something I'd want to put out to promote my band.

Don't need to have a script and actors or anything, just cut in some live footage, or even studio rehearsals.  C'mon, man.
Agreed. Especially given JP's concern in how the band is presented live in having consistent performances, you would think the idea of wanting to present the band in the optimal way would also be at the forefront of his thinking when it comes to videos on YouTube. Videos on YouTube have the ability to reach many more people in ways that they cannot in the live setting - it's easy and free to view a YouTube video; it takes effort and costs money to see the band live. So you would think there would be some more willingness to invest the money in putting together a proper video, whether strictly showing the band performing the song or including a conceptual storyline, which, as was already pointed out in this thread, would be pretty appropriate given the subject matter of the lyrics to this song.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 09:48:58 PM »
Agreed. Especially given JP's concern in how the band is presented live in having consistent performances, you would think the idea of wanting to present the band in the optimal way would also be at the forefront of his thinking when it comes to videos on YouTube. Videos on YouTube have the ability to reach many more people in ways that they cannot in the live setting - it's easy and free to view a YouTube video; it takes effort and costs money to see the band live. So you would think there would be some more willingness to invest the money in putting together a proper video, whether strictly showing the band performing the song or including a conceptual storyline, which, as was already pointed out in this thread, would be pretty appropriate given the subject matter of the lyrics to this song.

At Wit's End (IMHO) is probably one of the best songs on the new album, so it's cool to see the band doing something to promote it further, but given the heavy handed nature of the lyrics what kind of "official video" would you prefer to see? How about some depressing B/W affair with a sad couple in the state of breaking up. Dude you really got to check this band out! They made this kick-ass video. It's about this girl who gets raped and her husband's really struggling to deal with it. And ultimately she ends up leaving him because neither of them can do anything to salvage their doomed relationship. I really doubt that on any budget they would have been able make this anything else but cringeworthingly awkward. Would probably have ended up like Rush's video for "The Pass" or perhaps like Suzanne Vega's "Luka" at best.

Uggh. Just thinking about it makes me glad that ELP never even attempted a music video for "Daddy". At least that would have been funny (for all the wrong reasons) while making me feel like a horrible person for laughing at its ineptitude (just like I do the song).

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2019, 10:19:39 PM »
At Wit's End (IMHO) is probably one of the best songs on the new album, so it's cool to see the band doing something to promote it further, but given the heavy handed nature of the lyrics what kind of "official video" would you prefer to see? How about some depressing B/W affair with a sad couple in the state of breaking up. Dude you really got to check this band out! They made this kick-ass video. It's about this girl who gets raped and her husband's really struggling to deal with it. And ultimately she ends up leaving him because neither of them can do anything to salvage their doomed relationship.

I mean, the song itself is already dealing with the topic. Telling a friend to check out an extremely bleak and depressing video isn't exactly much different from telling them to listen to a song which conveys the exact same message. Depressing subject matters aren't exactly uncommon in the world of metal after all, so I don't see the issue here.

Uggh. Just thinking about it makes me glad that ELP never even attempted a music video for "Daddy". At least that would have been funny (for all the wrong reasons) while making me feel like a horrible person for laughing at its ineptitude (just like I do the song).

I agree that that'd be a terrible idea for ELP, but I feel like that's largely related to how poorly the song is already written. At Wits End really wouldn't be doomed right out of the gate in that regard.

I really doubt that on any budget they would have been able make this anything else but cringeworthingly awkward. Would probably have ended up like Rush's video for "The Pass" or perhaps like Suzanne Vega's "Luka" at best.

Well maybe you have a point considering that this band isn't exactly known for its breathtaking music videos, but I think with the aid of good direction, acting, & scripting, it could make the concept into a really poignant video. Sure it has a risk of backfiring if anything is half-assed, but I think that that'd be really subject to the time & budget of the project.

As for examples, I'd point to Metallica's Confusion as a good way to deal with a serious topic in a music video. It's not completely literal, but it's just symbolic enough to induce the emotions related to combat trauma without making it hard to take seriously. I don't see how DT couldn't do something like that, besides budget concerns or something.

I mean, obviously it's DT's choice whether they want to make a video like that, & I'm not demanding them to do it or anything, but I'm also not going to deny that I think there's a chance that they could make it work, & it'd be amazing to see them do something like that successfully.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。