Author Topic: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! POST-ROULETTE CEREAL HOURS  (Read 33110 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Train of Naught's FOURTH ultimate roulette bonanza!! COMPARIPRESSIONGS!!
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2019, 01:34:30 AM »
Nope, I love Insomnium as was considering them for a future round, but didn't send them. Interested to see how that song does!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2019, 01:36:58 AM »
dacul has lingua rated on RYM actually so that one's probably him, so i guess home is destiny potato by process of elimination
or home could've sent fka twigs too, wouldn't put that out of possibility
ariich sent destiny potato i guess if not insomnium?
i'm 100% sure on TAC, Elite, Katt (he literally said it), Puppies (based on his posts), and Evermind (nothing else qualifies as "band not talked about on DTF") so it's these few i wanna figure out  :P

soulsplitter is TAC
scarlet stories is elite
zierler is katt
poem is evermind
fall of efrafa is puppies
extremities is parama
fka twigs is bolsters
lingua ignota is dacul
destiny potato is ariich
insomnium is home i guess dunnolol

also wow this playerlist is like the ultimate "people who play in every roulette on DTF 2019" playerlist i swear

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2019, 01:42:35 AM »
Cause those are the only people who would ever be interested in mine :neverusethis: but no actually you all were just the first to apply :lol

Also yeah you figured out who sent what with the final guesses, if you put ariich on Destiny Potato and home on FKA twigs, which leaves Insomnium for Bolsters
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! COMPARIPRESSIONGS!!
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2019, 04:10:24 AM »
This is the roulette whore competition, right?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2019, 04:47:01 AM »
I've not actually been in all that many roulettes in total, although I do seem to be involved in most of the recent ones.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2019, 06:36:38 AM »
Hooray I bombed right away!  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2019, 06:46:28 AM »
Just noticed the thread title, not bad :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
I'm just trying to farm views my man, need those extra accidental clicks!

I've done two full listens and plan to do another one soon, though tonight I have a concert and I never know how long I stick around, plus it's a week day. Let's say I will definitely post the results at latest when I have the write-ups and have listened to all the songs enough times!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2019, 07:21:06 AM »
I mean I guess mine could really be anything but I really hope it's not the one about the vocalist...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: December 03, 2019, 08:46:06 AM »
bolsters sending insomnium is the weirdest part of the entire round to me for some reason

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2019, 09:57:18 AM »
Turns out concert is starting later than expected so I had time to go back home and get earplugs (thank god, it’s Boris and they’re the only band I’ve ever seen that was louder than Sunn O))))  aaaand get another listen in!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 03, 2019, 09:58:52 AM »
use the earplugs while you're listening to my song, you'll like it more that way

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #82 on: December 03, 2019, 09:58:59 AM »
I'm just trying to farm views my man, need those extra accidental clicks!
On the other hand, I scrolled straight past your thread at first because I didn't notice it. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »
Turns out concert is starting later than expected so I had time to go back home and get earplugs (thank god, it’s Boris and they’re the only band I’ve ever seen that was louder than Sunn O))))  aaaand get another listen in!
Hope it's a great gig :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2019, 10:37:27 AM »
This feels way too long to warrant its length, that could change upon subsequent listens, but there isn't much that drew me in here.
Also this is likely mine.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #85 on: December 03, 2019, 03:59:02 PM »
Beyond some of the dragging doom bits (I’m just not a big fan of these kind of shows) it was great. When they get into the noise/stoner sections they’re awesome!

I think I’ll have results in on Thursday guys, but no promises. Let that be some kind of vague sign of ‘oh maybe I should think of a couple ideas of what to send in future rounds’ if you haven’t already made a 100-song Spotify playlist titled “For Train”

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #86 on: December 03, 2019, 04:03:36 PM »
I think I’ll have results in on Thursday guys, but no promises. Let that be some kind of vague sign of ‘oh maybe I should think of a couple ideas of what to send in future rounds’ if you haven’t already made a 100-song Spotify playlist titled “For Train”
Sure but the 100 sing playlist is only so helpful because we don't have 100 rounds, so we still need to choose from it!

In my case it's not even songs, it's like 100 artists and I still need to choose songs.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2019, 04:07:46 PM »
True.. though I did state in the OP that everyone can ask me here about literally any band on the banned list as long as it’s in public and not through PMs! Feel free to use that, it’s a substitute for colour coding since I’m lazy

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
@Train Tell me your thoughts about every single band on the banned list

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2019, 04:46:57 PM »
They succc especially the latest album

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2019, 04:50:15 PM »
Also I have like 30 bands on my "I really want to send this artist" list but I'm also probably going to Have Some Bad Ideas for two or three rounds too

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2019, 07:47:31 PM »
kinda regretting my round 1 pick now because i have a much more interesting "grander vision" for the rest of the rounds and round 1 is just "some metal song i thought train might like" oops. is it too late to retroactively change my submission :neverusethis:

train is it okay if i send a 20-30 minute track for round 8
i kinda have two really long ones i want to send (and both are like polar opposites) but i'll limit myself to one if needed
i could -probably- pick shorter songs from each artist (i have one in mind for each) but it wouldn't be as good as the ones i really want to send but i also understand That's A Lot For One Round so
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 12:30:27 AM by Cyril »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »
is it too late to
Yes

I will highly advise you not to send the 20-30 minute songs and save them for after the roulette, but I’m not going to force you not to. If you honestly think it’s a good idea I’ll let you do it

Also the talk about prizes in your roulette made me think, let’s make this interesting! :D it’s not a big prize, and some of you may hate this, but the winner of the roulette gets one free download code from the Pelagic Records catalogue of their choosing (inb4 Pelagial)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2019, 12:57:25 AM »
Cyril wins and downloads Lo!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2019, 12:59:18 AM »
 :metal

Tbh that album rules

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2019, 01:21:07 AM »
Cyril wins
yeah i doubt it

edit: okay sent off all my entries for this roulette barring me getting snubbed on any of them (which isn't impossible i guess but generally tends to be unlikely :P)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 01:52:11 AM by Cyril »

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2019, 02:01:29 AM »
Only 1 rejection, pretty impressive! :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2019, 08:35:58 AM »
hmm, gotta figure out a replacement then  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 1 RESULTS
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2019, 07:08:27 AM »
Round 1 Results!

Puppies_On_Acid: Fall of Efrafa - Republic of Heaven
Oh boy, here's the second longest song of the round, yes, it's only the second longest. It's a lot to unpack, and I can't possibly have my opinion ready after one listen, but what it sounds like to me so far is a mixture of extreme metal I'm not that into, along with some slower metal that I can tolerate, but am also not really into. This feels way too long to warrant its length, that could change upon subsequent listens, but there isn't much that drew me in here.

The only thing I remember liking after that first listen here is the riff around the middle, when they change up the tempo. That's still pretty cool, but hardly worth its while. I've listened to the song 5 times, and still barely remember anything of it. The vocals don't do anything for me, they're more in the background anyway which probably suggests that the main goal is for the vocals to complement the instruments that I don't really like in the first place. I like the piano bit at the very end a lot, but I'm not a fan of how mostly the end of this massive tune is just the main riff slowly simmering down until it's nearly entirely quiet. I'm actually not sure if I'm being generous with my scoring, I can say for sure it's not a band I'm excited to get back to. Sorry man :(
4.25/10

Bolsters: Insomnium - Valediction
Hmm, this is definitely the most popular DTF band sent in this round, and most obvious hole in the banned list from this round as well. I was more into this type of music some years ago, when I was bigger on Amorphis, Solution .45, and in some way I still am. Solution .45 is still my favourite melodic death metal band, I think they make very catchy music that also packs a punch when needed, and somehow Ghost Brigade also kind of scratches that itch, though they're more doom/sludge than melodeath. I was a bit letdown by this, it basically sounds like a less catchy version of another band I listen to.

That other band was Amorphis, though I'm not sure about that comparison upon more listens. My issue with this is that when the harsh vocals come in, the music doesn't really warrant it? The heaviest part of the song is the main riff, which is a really cool riff, and I'm a fan of harsh vocals complementing heaviness, and clean vocals complementing melodies. Of course there are exceptions, but it still feels somewhat out of place. Besides, it is also not a style I'd say I'm very easy to please with. There are some redeeming qualities to it, I'm a big fan of the main riff, I think some of the melodies in the verses are catchy enough, and it's not too long. :lol I'm not into it enough to revisit the band anytime soon though.
5.75/10

Kattelox: Zierler - Water
I was very excited to see what kind of music you have to offer. We're one listen deep, and I'm on the fence about it right now. The music is fine enough, and actually does a really good job of shifting between moods. I like it when they can be powerful/euphoric, and one moment later go into a chill and theatric vibe. Vocals are my main gripe right now, but we'll see how they will go down after a while. This guy has the kind of voice that I pretty much avoid in all of my metal, totally not my cup of tea. Luckily the song has a couple of saving graces, but I doubt it'll do much for me by the end of this round.

That was a bit harsh to be honest, it's not completely like that. Excuse me for possible bad comparison as I am not familiar enough with these singers, but I get that Jorn Lande kinda vibe sometimes, you know, the 'grit' in his voice puts me off a tad. But I've come to appreciate this song more, quite emotional, very carefully put together it seems, and the riffs are pretty good too. I also like it when the singer goes into a more Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation) type voice, he's pretty versatile when I think about it. Now, my real issue with the song is the sudden change to the instrumental section, it feels very tacked on. And I'm also not big on the jordanrudessWEOWEOcircussounds random keyboard moments generally speaking. The instrumentals I am into are more riff based than solo based, and stay pretty concise, if that makes sense. When they finally dive back into the main theme and the "I'm alone" part it's pretty cool and feels like a very good conclusion. Not a bad effort, but some problems I'm having all the same.
6/10

Cyril: Extremities - Colossus
At the beginning of this song, I was sure this would end up near the top. It's all exactly the stuff I'm into. Fast mathy instrumentation while still having a good groove, nice aggressive core-vocals. But not too far down the song changes entirely to this kind of middle-way post-metal with odd shouty screams, kind of reminiscent of Hacride vocals but worse. The first half is right up my alley, but as the song progresses I lose a lot of interest.

The chorus is just a chore to listen to, and sadly it's a chorus so I've had to hear it quite a lot over the past few days. This does seem like the kind of band that probably has music I would like scattered throughout their discography, but not entire albums. Their name always struck me as something more extreme than this song, this is pretty proggy. For example, those drill sergeant type breaks are super cool with this music, I got to admit. Regardless, it doesn't seem like the kind of band I would dig into, though maybe if they have more music that sounds like the start of this song.
6.5/10

Evermind: Poem - Discipline
I don't understand the Bilateral-era Leprous comparison... at all. :lol Not gonna lie, that got me pretty hyped, but I almost remember nothing about this song. Of course, a first listen is a first listen, but I was hoping at least something would stick. I remember the last 5-10 seconds were pretty cool though!This is the song I remember the least about, let's hope for you that will change on future listens, but the vocal melodies sounded very dry and unmemorable to me and the instrumentation isn't doing anything very interesting so far.

Now that I've had some time to digest this, it turns out it actually ain't that bad. A good dramatic chorus, nice technical but still focused instrumentation, and no derivative instrumental sections (one of my main gripes in prog). I think they would be great at heavier music, and this is making me pretty curious how much they sound like this on other songs. It's definitely one of the catchier songs this round, I just needed some time with it, but still have no idea how they compare to Leprous?? My main issue with the song is actually that it doesn't have that much to offer for a song over 5 minutes long.. it mostly stays within the standard song structure, and the riffs while cool don't do anything crazy. I'm not incredibly drawn to the band's sound, but I'm also not put off by them in any way. Will probably check out the album, but this sounds like a classic 7/10 description to me.
7/10

Elite: Scarlet Stories - In Blood and Limbs and Gore and Clay
I had no idea what to expect, never heard of this band. From my first listen I can't really say much, as it didn't stand out all that much among the other submissions. Two songs this round sounded pretty similar to me at first and it's no coincidence that I liked both of them. I need more listens to remember how this goes as it all blended together a bit for me, but I made a mental note to keep in mind that this song was mostly really cool. I guess that's good?

This song and TACs song got mixed up in my head all the time, I just kind of tagged them in my head as 'dark doomy prog with a female singer'. Anyway, super good vocal performance, for what it's worth, I found the instrumentation a bit dull, but slow heavy riffs are a fine enough basis for a doomy tune like this. Guitar solos: not a fan generally, but this is not taking away anything from the score, it makes for a pretty good ending.
7.75/10

Sacul: Lingua Ignota - Woe to All (On the Day of My Wrath)
So of course I've heard of Lingua Ignota, she received a LOT of positive feedback since her appearance at Roadburn this year, and also released an album that is loved by many people in the scene. I have actually listened to Caligula once and was pretty impressed by it but somehow didn't return yet or check out this album. Right from the start I got hooked, but I was super put off by how this song was arranged, as it never really picks up where it left off about 5 minutes in, when the music goes chill. Got me super excited at the start, and then just leaves me hanging right before the climax, what the hell man?

There wasn't really any climax coming up, but what I mean to say is she creates this super brooding evil atmosphere throughout the first movement of the song, and got me expecting something to follow that up, maybe in the last movement. But instead, it meanders for 10 minutes in this calm atmospheric section. I was ready to bomb this tune, but upon repeated listens I found out how much I liked the second part of the song as well. It's beautiful, but I just feel like the two don't belong together (other than sharing some similar lyrics from what I've picked up). There's literally nothing I dislike about this song, it could've been so much more had it been a better 'journey' though, instead of being several parts that I love that don't belong together very well.
8/10

ariich: Destiny Potato - Lunatic
This style of djent really works for me, it has a good groove, but it's not overly technical and heavy. I've always liked Alex' vocals (or whatever her name was?) on DMM's solo project and the other Destiny Potato songs I know, and her solo album. This song is certainly weirder than the other songs I've heard, but that's cool, I don't mind a bit of weirdness in prog if it doesn't come completely out of the blue. Seems totally like my kind of prog, I haven't remembered much about the song but I'm hopeful that this will do well upon future listens and end up near the top.

Right away I was pretty confident this would do at least okay, as I'm familiar with Love Song and House of Lies. I like Love Song, but I love House of Lies. This is looking to be right in the middle of those. I really like how the ending is identical to the beginning and you can essentially loop the song infinitely. :lol But in all seriousness, the vocals on this are great, the only moment I'm not that into is that opening hook of the chorus, which comes back quite a lot. But everything else in the chorus is right up my alley. The instrumentation is simple, but not dull in any way. Like I said in my first impression, it's kind of a 'weird' song, but not off-putting weird. I will definitely check out the album now, which I've probably already done in the past without remembering.
8/10

TAC: Soulsplitter - The Transition
Another band I never heard of and had no idea what to expect. From first impression, I can definitely say I liked it a lot, but not much more. I remember there was a female singer, and the song was pretty long and built up very well to an epic ending. Beyond that, I'm a bit lost, but fairly confident this song was going to rank well. The build was really subtle and the payoff was amazing, but at the same time I don't remember how any of the song goes.

Over repeated listens my interest in this song has shifted more from the "build and the payoff" to that opening instrumental section. That's a really well done instrumental section, and much more to my taste than the one in the Zierler song from this round, to give an example. It's groovy, also heavy, and plain fun to listen to. There's different things to pay attention to during almost all of the different sections, it takes a while to unpack but it's worth the repeated listens. The only thing I find a bit odd is this tiny little theatrical break near the end, but it's.. tolerable. :lol
8.25/10

home: FKA twigs - home with you
I just got into Billie Eilish a couple weeks ago and the production on that new record is just perfect. This reminded me a lot of it in that it's both really interesting for mainstream pop, but also just perfect in its production. It has kind of a cold dissonant feeling when the vocals go more echo-y, and the little glitches add a lot to the overall feel. Easily one of my favourites of the round, but maybe my mood and overall setting caused that.

I like to go out longboarding with music, especially when it's cold outside, and this was just perfect for that. Beautiful melodies, very sweet and 'harmless' sound, and also elegant. At the same time it also has a pretty serious attitude, and can feel a bit dark. It switches a lot between that sweet chorus and the more dark rest of the song. I won't let an album cover keep me from checking out the music anymore.  :lol I can't even say too much about this song, it's short and not groundbreaking, but I love it.
8.5/10

Standings
home: 8.5
TAC: 8.25
ariich: 8
Sacul: 8
Elite: 7.75
Evermind: 7
Cyril: 6.5
Kattelox: 6
Bolsters: 5.75
Puppies: 4.25

There we have it! One round in and already a 4.25 score difference, oops :corn
Some of my favourite songs this round ended up growing on me, while the lower ranking songs kind of stayed the same throughout. Please send for the next round within 48 hours! :metal
Fun fact: The biggest grower this round was the Lingua Ignota song, while the one that dropped the most over repeated listens was probably the Scarlet Stories song (since most other songs didn't really drop at all)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2019, 07:21:19 AM »
Gulp.

Honestly, that's kind of what I expected/feared. Zierler is my musical barometer for fans of metal around these parts whose tastes are in a vague haze, like yours, so at least I have an idea of what to aim for and avoid in metal. Difficult listen for sure, although I am disappointed you're not a fan of Kelly Carpenter's voice. Guess I'm not gonna send Outworld.  :lol

I'll have to check out the other submissions to see what tickles your fancy, and I'll send tonight.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2019, 07:45:36 AM »
Solid start. :metal

I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2019, 07:50:25 AM »
I'll compare my next entry to some shitty stuff then!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 1 RESULTS!!
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2019, 09:05:37 AM »
Gulp.

Honestly, that's kind of what I expected/feared. Zierler is my musical barometer for fans of metal around these parts whose tastes are in a vague haze, like yours, so at least I have an idea of what to aim for and avoid in metal. Difficult listen for sure, although I am disappointed you're not a fan of Kelly Carpenter's voice. Guess I'm not gonna send Outworld.  :lol

I'll have to check out the other submissions to see what tickles your fancy, and I'll send tonight.
Can't blame you, it's a song that goes through various movements and is diverse enough to get a meaningful reaction out of the hosts. I hope you have a better idea now! :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2019, 09:15:16 AM »
good thing i'm not sending prog metal for the rest of the roulette then

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2019, 12:33:00 PM »
Yeah I don't think metal at all is where I'm gonna go with this tbh. I have several candidates for round 2, can't wait to sift through them tonight.