Author Topic: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! POST-ROULETTE CEREAL HOURS  (Read 32933 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 6 COMPARISONS
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2020, 01:29:28 PM »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 6 COMPARISONS
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2020, 01:36:22 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 6 RESULTS
« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2020, 02:02:11 PM »
Round 6 Results

TAC: Circuit Breach – Bedsore
I don't even know where to begin, this is such a big no for me, holy moly.

Okay, there's quite a bit to touch on. I do not like those kind of prog tunes where it's some bombastic intro and then when the vocals come in it turns into an arena anthem verse, it seems so meaningless to me. There's so many things going on in the background at points yet none of them add much, they're all distracting. And the vocals.. oh man.. I don't know. I've never heard bands with mixes vocals where I dislike both the clean and harsh vocals this much. The cleans just sound weak and more like he wants to be reading out romantic novels, the harshes sound super dry and literally cut my ears through the other layers of music. Man, I have no words left for this song, I'm afraid it will get worse if I give it more listens. I'm not sure how much of a match we are anymore with the songs you've been sending in the last few rounds to be honest. :lol

3.5/10

Cyril: Zu – Ostia
I think you're overestimating my 'weird shit meter', I have my bar.

I have tried many times, but this simply keeps coming across to me as weird for the sake of weird. The most annoying about this song for me is it rarely ever gets into one single groove, it changes tempos too often for me to latch onto anything remotely catchy. Not to even speak of some of the weird sounds thrown into the mix. I can get some cybergrind vibes at times, but at least those bands usually mix it up and also have cool groovy riffs, and good vocals. I doubt there is any universe where I would be into this kind of music, who knows. I almost find it unlistenable to be honest.

4/10

Sacul: The Stooges – 1970
The most 'hmmmmmok' song of the round, nothing really grating but nothing all that exciting either.

Still totally hmmmok, except a bit worse. There's a nice groove to it is the most positive I can say. The vocals are tolerable at best and annoying at worst. I just never got into this 'coolio old rock music' scene and possibly never will..
It's also the first time ever where I say the guitar solo is my favourite part of the song. Much less so am I into them when it's one of those 'jam' kinda solos. I'm not sure if it's a good thing that that's my favourite part or it just means that the rest does less for me? Anyway, the song kinda relies on two to three riffs, one to two vocals hooks, and a little saxophone section that feels out of place for me and goes completely too crazy in the end. The riffs are cool though, I can dig that, but they're not a dealmaker. I feel not all right. :(

5.5/10

ariich: Bizali – Lucile
Groovy, catchy, but something is missing.. need more listens to figure it out.

Every time I hear this it strikes me as a very upbeat song that doesn't fail to stick with you.. I'm not really resonating with it though. There's some of these random retro synth sounds going on here and there, and overall I'm getting a bit of a happy oldschool rock vibe from it. The vocals are also not enough to elevate the song in any way, it's too much of the same. Not just the same text but also not much is done to change up the melodies to make it somehow more interesting to follow along. I appreciate the continuous sharp left turns from you, though you were bound to bump into something that isn't really my thing. The redeeming quality being that it's catchy and fun, and there's nothing glaringy bad.

6/10

Bolsters: LeBrock – The Real Thing
Nice anthemic tune, if a bit cheesy.. I can vibe with this.

It's like.. Peter Gabriel meets FM84, lol. So from the first listen on I could already kind of tell approximately where this would land. I don't really have any desire to get into this artist, simply by the fact that I'm pretty neutral towards most of it. The melodies are nice and anthemic, the chorus is punchy and sticks, and the instrumentals do a good way of matching that energy. BUT I can't imagine listening to a full album of this (that is, if it is all in this vein), I don't feel there's enough interesting stuff to dig into.

6.5/10

home: slowthai – Doorman
This is a cool mix of styles, but at the same time fucking weird and not sure if I can roll with it completely.

I still stick with 'fucking weird', those vocals have a cool attitude but also sound a bit grating. I see Mura Masa is on the song though, that's probably the biggest plus about the song, his mixes always sound very full. He kinda reminds me of Flume. The production on this is really good again, not quite on the level of that JPEGMAFIA song but still very good. Has a nice punch to it, kind of has a dark vibe throughout. And I guess even if it's a bit weird, they do a very good job of combining their forces and creating a song that somehow fit both slowthai and Mura Masa's style even though they're completely different. Judging from this one song it sounds like it's more out of Mura Masa's comfort zone than slowthai though. :lol

6.75/10

Elite: Dexter Gordon – Blue bossa
Very good effort in a style I'm not all that comfortable with, though because of that still very unsure where it would rank.

I honestly thought this was some kind of prank when this song came on on shuffle. I would never in a million years send something like this to myself. :lol My experience with jazz is very minimal. I've attended a fucking great open air amphitheatre concert of Kamasi Washington a couple years ago, and I've been to a couple live jazz bars. Those concerts are always enjoyable to see but I never dug the music itself much beyond the musicianship factor. If there's one thing Washington junior has in common with this Dexter Gordon guy though is that he really touches on the feels and melodies. It stays at a very chill pace, never feels like they try to fit too many notes into a bar. It's relaxing. I still wouldn't pick this out to be completely honest, but I can really appreciate this as 'mood music'.

7.25/10

Evermind: Storm Corrosion – Storm Corrosion
I don't think I'm quite getting it, it sounds like it should be more intense than it is..?

This does sound almost exactly like what I'd expect from a collab between Mikael and Steven. It's more Opeth than Steven Wilson imo, but the vocals balance it out again. What can I say.. the whole way through I kind of feel like we are leading up to some point that never comes. The journey is nice, but where is the destination? That may sound harsher than it is, I'm still digging this a lot. There's a really nice haunting atmosphere the whole way through, which is my favourite quality in both these musicians' music. I'm definitely checking out the album, as this sparked my interest for sure.

7.5/10

Kattelox: The Joy Formidable – Cradle
Very cool attitude, nice energy, happy vibes!

I feel like this is what Paramore may sound like when people talk about them. Really easy on the ears, happy rock. Dabbles on the pop-punk side but it's not fucking terrible like 99% of the pop-punk I have heard. I think the main reason here is the vocals are actually great and not those stereotypical whiny teen vocals. Catchy, super fun, energetic, and doesn't overstay its welcome. Don't quite love it, but like it a lot. Need to hear the album!

8/10

Puppies_On_Acid: The Decemberists – The Island
A bit all over the place, but this reminds me of a bunch of things I dig and I'm generally happily surprised.

The happily surprised comment stems from me having seen the name “The Decemberists” being dropped here and there and I always thought for some reason that it was similar to The Cure? Don't ask me why. Right off the bat I get a good classic rock vibe, kind of folky King Crimson. The vocals remind me of Gallagher, but better. Altogether it's just a perfect showcase of a very long song that never gets tiring. It's emotional, it's punchy, it's not lacking any key elements and some themes to string it all together nicely.. I'm feeling this one gets better with every single listen.

8.5/10

Standings
Evermind: 47.5
ariich: 45.5
Puppies: 45
Sacul: 43.75
Kattelox: 42.5
home: 42.25
Bolsters: 41.5
Elite: 41.5
Cyril: 41
TAC: 37

Just 2 more rounds guys, almost there! Pls send in next 2 days :)
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #423 on: January 28, 2020, 02:05:14 PM »
Dope, that's way better than what I expected. If you like that song I think you'll find a few others to enjoy on that record but I don't think any quite get to Cradle's energy... except "Whirring." Holy fuck that song is a tornado of sound. I love it.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #424 on: January 28, 2020, 02:28:00 PM »
I'm within striking distance! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #425 on: January 28, 2020, 02:29:10 PM »
Golf scoring right?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #426 on: January 28, 2020, 02:34:17 PM »
yeehaw

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #427 on: January 28, 2020, 09:15:08 PM »
Hey, I'll take that.

Will do my best to send something today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2020, 09:17:53 PM »
Also Tim had an ^ and his score improved from 3.75 to 3.5 :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2020, 09:27:57 PM »
Sent for round 7
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 6 RESULTS / SEND ROUND 7
« Reply #430 on: January 29, 2020, 12:54:11 AM »
Dope, that's way better than what I expected. If you like that song I think you'll find a few others to enjoy on that record but I don't think any quite get to Cradle's energy... except "Whirring." Holy fuck that song is a tornado of sound. I love it.
It's up next! Think I'll still give it a spin today.

Golf scoring right?
Exactly!

Also Tim had an ^ and his score improved from 3.75 to 3.5 :lol
Yeah.. I'm not that big of a fan of these comparison things cause I listen to the songs up until writing the final results. I should have a disclaimer that says "I reserve the right to change my mind upon further listens" :lol

So this is an instant save :corn great album on first impression, I can see it grow on me very quickly. The only song I actively dislike right now is Sons & Daughters, but there's some absolute gold on there. Shankill Butchers, Culling of the Fold, and The Island which is still the best song on here.

Also: 3 songs in so far

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #431 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:12 AM »
train gave me a ^ in like round 4 i think and my score improved from 8 to 7.5
honestly hope i get a v next round that'd be funny even if it's the best song i've sent this roulette

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #432 on: January 29, 2020, 01:58:36 AM »
Lol

Since I've pretty much lost anyway, I'll send something silly in a bit.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #433 on: January 29, 2020, 11:16:39 AM »
Shit man, I'm sorry, the day was busy as hell and I totally forgot about this and I'm in bed now already.

I promise I'll send in the next 24 hours.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #434 on: January 29, 2020, 11:38:43 AM »
Pff. I was earlier than everybody else.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #435 on: January 29, 2020, 11:46:06 AM »
I highly doubt that unless you sent before December 04, 2019, 12:50:53 AM PST

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #436 on: January 29, 2020, 12:01:13 PM »
2nd earliest and I have receipts

December 14, 2019, 10:42:45 AM
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #437 on: January 29, 2020, 03:13:33 PM »
Elite was still top half coming in at #5 though! But I haven’t checked what he sent yet maybe I have to reject it :neverusethis:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #438 on: January 29, 2020, 03:28:08 PM »
Sent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #439 on: January 29, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
Train I gotta thank you for fulfilling the prophecy of my user title, btw

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #440 on: January 29, 2020, 03:50:38 PM »
Elite was still top half coming in at #5 though! But I haven’t checked what he sent yet maybe I have to reject it :neverusethis:

I’m pretty sure you can keep it.
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #441 on: January 29, 2020, 07:51:27 PM »
I just never got into this 'coolio old rock music' scene and possibly never will..
I'm not into it either but that Stooges album is really raw and furious, it goes total nuts on the last few tracks :metal.

Will send something different tomorrow. Hope it doesn't sink as well :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #442 on: January 30, 2020, 12:01:14 AM »

Did not even notice, nice, you want another one next round?

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #443 on: January 30, 2020, 12:40:41 AM »
see Mura Masa is on the song though, that's probably the biggest plus about the song, his mixes always sound very full. He kinda reminds me of Flume.
Agree about the mix! And it's indeed more of a Slowthai song than a Mura Masa song, tho this song somehow had a more Punkish feel than what they both do normally.

Will send soon!
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #444 on: January 30, 2020, 01:06:03 AM »

Did not even notice, nice, you want another one next round?
absolutely

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #445 on: January 30, 2020, 06:57:54 PM »
Sent

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 7 LISTENING
« Reply #446 on: January 31, 2020, 12:16:59 AM »
That was quick! You guys rawk :hefdaddy

Voyager - Reconnected
Richard Henshall - Lunar Room
Wolverine - Communication Lost
glass beach - glass beach
Aephanemer - If I Should Die
The Midnight - Vampires
King Crimson - Indiscipline (Live in Mexico)
Buried Inside - Time As Commodity
Floex / Tom Hodge - Prelude I
Perfume Genius - Queen

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 7 LISTENING
« Reply #447 on: January 31, 2020, 12:19:13 AM »
Ok cool
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #448 on: January 31, 2020, 12:20:34 AM »
Katt: Voyager - Reconnected
ariich: Richard Henshall - Lunar Room
Evermind: Wolverine - Communication Lost
Me: glass beach - glass beach
TAC: Aephanemer - If I Should Die
Bolsters:The Midnight - Vampires
Elite: King Crimson - Indiscipline (Live in Mexico)
Puppies: Buried Inside - Time As Commodity
Dacul: Floex / Tom Hodge - Prelude I
home: Perfume Genius - Queen

elite sending KC doesn't strike me as right but that's where i fall out after process of elimination

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #449 on: January 31, 2020, 12:23:11 AM »
bOOM!

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #450 on: January 31, 2020, 12:38:59 AM »
Katt: Voyager - Reconnected
ariich: Richard Henshall - Lunar Room
Evermind: Wolverine - Communication Lost
Me: glass beach - glass beach
TAC: Aephanemer - If I Should Die
Bolsters:The Midnight - Vampires
Elite: King Crimson - Indiscipline (Live in Mexico)
Puppies: Buried Inside - Time As Commodity
Dacul: Floex / Tom Hodge - Prelude I
home: Perfume Genius - Queen

elite sending KC doesn't strike me as right but that's where i fall out after process of elimination
It's amazing how well each of those songs fits each person. Elite sending King Crimson fits perfectly imo
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #451 on: January 31, 2020, 12:49:53 AM »
i might not know elite well enough the rest of them were all super easy to place though
TAC will probably score higher than 3.5 this round  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #452 on: January 31, 2020, 12:54:18 AM »
Or you might not know King Crimson enough :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #453 on: January 31, 2020, 12:54:26 AM »
Actually when I woke up I had 2 emails from DTF, from TAC and Sacul. When I clicked TACs mail I got directed to Sacul's and I accidentally started the song when adding it to the playlist. :lol I thought TAC must hate me so much for the golf scores he just starts sending me random shit

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #454 on: January 31, 2020, 01:07:41 AM »
Or you might not know King Crimson enough :biggrin:
hey i have like, two KC albums