Author Topic: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! POST-ROULETTE CEREAL HOURS  (Read 33121 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 5 COMPARISONS
« Reply #350 on: January 15, 2020, 12:08:55 PM »
At least a 7.5, nice.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #351 on: January 16, 2020, 12:29:09 PM »
 :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #352 on: January 18, 2020, 01:49:14 AM »
3/10 write-ups down, 7 to go! :corn Results probably within the hour.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #353 on: January 18, 2020, 02:00:29 AM »
It was I not you who set this trap, but
You did leave me here without a writeup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #354 on: January 18, 2020, 02:09:22 AM »
I'll allow you guys to ask me about bands from my banned list. There's no limit to the amount of bands you can ask about, but I will only do it in the thread, not in PM, so everyone has the chance to read about my thoughts of these bands.
I'd like to know more about the inclusion of FM-84 on your banned list.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #355 on: January 18, 2020, 02:39:09 AM »
3/10 write-ups down, 7 to go! :corn Results probably within the hour.

:corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 5 RESULTS
« Reply #356 on: January 18, 2020, 02:41:34 AM »
ROUND 5 RESULTS

TAC: Cea Serin - The End of Silence
Metal done not so right.
There's a lot going on here. For starters, the production hurts my ears. It's so loud, like every instrument is cutting in my ears, man. I'm almost always easy with production, so it's really hard to turn me off on that level. Then beyond that, there's a lot going on.. the riffs are okay but not spectacular. Everything else ranges from irritating to outright off-putting. Both the harsh and clean vocals. The fact that the drums are pretty much just copying all the rhythm guitars 80% of the time. Odd time sigs when the song isn't demanding any. A wanky keyboard / guitar battle. It doesn't help that this is also the longest song of the round. :lol TASTES (tm)

3.75/10

home: Explosions in the Sky - Your Hand In Mine
Found it pretty hard to stay focused on this from beginning to end, it had some nice moments for sure though.

Cyril was pretty dead on with the description, I mostly feel the same way. It's really nice in the background, but this band has never seemed to draw me in. I would compare them to Mogwai in that regard, only that Mogwai still have the occasional shift in their sound that I can latch onto. This band seems like mostly a mood/atmosphere band that you just really have to resonate with, I haven't gotten there yet. I believe this band was one of the first along with Mono to make crescendo-core a thing :lol but it doesn't make me like it any more just because they were pioneers. I do like Mono a lot though! Maybe because they're darker and also heavier?

6.25/10

Bolsters: CHVRCHES - Never Say Die
Not very interesting on first impression, but definitely catchy and potential to grow more.

Yeah, on first impression this was leaving me a bit cold. The Mother We Share is such a nice song (and I believe also the fan favourite?) but this just paled a lot in comparison. I was right though, this definitely grows. The melodies are on point, the instrumentation is very detailed when given a closer look and I feel like this perfectly depicts that thick synth sound I mentioned in the purity ring write-up which always hooks me. The only gripe I have is that the vocals are just not very exciting. I don't like the backing vocals at all and the lead vocals are not really eventful, it's more of a standard synth pop tune than your last song for sure.

7.5/10

Sacul: Arca - Desafio
This is leaving me hanging a bit, something about the atmosphere draws me in but doesn't quite keep me curious.

This song has one of the most beautiful atmospheres I've heard in this roulette, it's really dreamy and trippy. Just like with the Stateless song, I also get some Massive Attack vibes here. The hooks in this song are just not cutting it for me that much, one ear in and out the other. But whenever I listen to it, I feel like this could be really nice to have play in the background when working, or something like that.. it doesn't distract me, but also doesn't engage me!

7.5/10

Cyril: Gabriel Kahane - Empire Liquor Mart (9127 S. Figueroa St.)
I'll be needing some time to unpack this, there's a lot going on.

I keep being between 'this is brilliant' and 'this is annoying' every time I listen to this one, it's a suuuuper unique tune and I love it for that on its own. But it's usually around the middle of the song where I start to realise that I'm not that excited about it anymore and want it to wrap up. On one hand I love that even when the music changes drastically, they still tie it together by keeping the same vocal themes throughout the song. It's still really interesting to hear something this experimental in a very chill music style, and despite my slight gripes I would love to discover more. The songwriting is undeniably innovative and noteworthy.. though it does go a bit too far with for example this moviescore-like string section, that's the prime example of being 'too derivative'.

I DON'T KNOWWWW if I love it or hate it, this song is one of the main reasons this round has taken over a week. But I'm definitely leaning towards yes, I think it's great enough, I want to give this Gabriel guy a shot. And this song is really awesome for what it is.

8/10

Puppies: The End - In Distress
Metal done right.

I don't know why Cyril scrapped this, this is precisely my type of metal man. Fast groovy guitars, a dark tone set, clean production, super aggressive core-vocals. They remind me a bit of that band Eryn. Non. Dae. that Cyril also sent me one time, but this band is more metalcore-y, I dig that. To be honest, the riffing is kiiiiind of basic, but it's groovy, it packs a punch, and it fits with the in-your-face style of metal this does. The clean singing is okay, but not nearly as good as the harsh as it comes across a little too emo at times. But no worries here, this song is fucking ace, will listen to this album :soon:

8.25/10

Elite: Misþyrming - Og Er Haustið Líður Undir Lok
The base of the song is great, I just expected/hoped  for it to develop more.

I've been wanting to check out this band for quite a long time, I'm always really happy to receive artists that are already on my radar so I can finally get an idea of what they sound like.
I love it when the guitar sound and rest of the mix are so good that almost any riff will sound great because of it. It's such a complete sound, and the vocals add a lot of oomph to the whole. It's just a big powerful wall of aggression altogether. The comment in my first impression about the lack of development is not bothering me much anymore. It's a powerful straightforward blackened death metal tune, and it shouldn't have to derive from the base to be interesting. I'm super excited to check this album out.

8.25/10

Evermind: Marketa Irglova – Without a Map
Chills down my spine, man.

I love it when songs have one main theme in the melodies that they build around, but don't derive too much from. The main discussion in this song though is how chilling the interplay between the lead singer (Marketa?) and the backing choir is. I love super emotional stuff like this. I guess with metal I don't always like it when songs are like that, but the Misþyrming song in this round proves that it does sometimes. It's great that this song builds CONSTANTLY, but at the same time it's not building super slowly and leaving you hanging, and the climax is not an unrealistically big step beyond the rest of the song in terms of epic. Very nice mayne.

8.5/10

Kattelox: Kiev - Ariah Being
Full of surprises, kept me hooked all the way through.

I'm really excited to have a round with so much good indie-influenced music. The vocals are really catchy, the production sounds really full but not over-compressed. There's so many things to focus on that there's never a second of boredom. The Snarky Puppy-like horn section is a really cool section too, though where the song really sold me is when that horn section grows and grows with the backing vocals and slowly breaks off into that avant-garde ending. And then it shifts super smoothly into more Snarky Puppy stuff, and back into the 'main body' of the song so to speak. It's the complete package man, in most rounds this song would have won.. but.. Stateless. Stateless man.
It was I not you who set this trap, but
You did leave me here without a writeup
 :lol
8.75/10

ariich: Stateless - Curtain Call
It takes very long to get interesting, but when it does oh boy. Will need more time to figure out what I think on the whole.

FUUUUCK what I said about the long buildup. It's a really beautiful dark atmospheric piece that sets the tone very well for later on. Then it maintains the dark mood and moves to a more indie style, and it's combined with this super heavy and trippy breakdown in the chorus. There's the wall of bass that dominates this chorus, and then the high-pitched distorted vocals to contrast it, and this neutral low frequency synth reminiscent of Nine Inch Nails. It has the trippiness of Massive Attack, the dark indie vibe of Her Name Is Calla, man.
I've already checked out the album and I love it, this is easily the best thing to come out of this roulette so far.

9.5/10

Standings
Evermind: 40
ariich: 39.5
Sacul: 38.25
Cyril: 37
Puppies: 36.5
home: 35.5
Bolsters: 35
Kattelox: 34.5
Elite: 34.25
TAC: 33.5
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #357 on: January 18, 2020, 02:45:58 AM »
Sorry for the long wait, I've been busier these last 2 months than ever. I can't promise the rest will be any faster, especially if I get songs as complicated to grasp as Cyril's last song :lol but it's just 3 more rounds so I think we'll be fine!

I'll allow you guys to ask me about bands from my banned list. There's no limit to the amount of bands you can ask about, but I will only do it in the thread, not in PM, so everyone has the chance to read about my thoughts of these bands.
I'd like to know more about the inclusion of FM-84 on your banned list.

I listened to the album Atlas a lot at work about a year ago. I don't listen to it that much anymore but still really like their sound, very much a mood artist for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #358 on: January 18, 2020, 02:55:03 AM »
Hell yeah! :hat

Yeah the album is fantastic, and their self-titled first one was great too so definitely check that out.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #359 on: January 18, 2020, 02:58:37 AM »
Yeah, I couldn't get into that Gabriel Kahane song. I think I just didn't dedicate enough of my time to it, but it's probably not a great idea to use songs that are that difficult to get into in a roulette in the first place.

Glad you liked it man, the whole album is fantastic except for maybe the opening song and Mary, but this is certainly the most emotional song on it in my opinion. Give it a spin when you feel like it, as I said this is the best thing Sacul introduced me to. Still no idea how I'm doing so well but I'll take it, time to screw up in the next round!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #360 on: January 18, 2020, 02:59:47 AM »
Sent.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #361 on: January 18, 2020, 06:41:37 AM »
I finally sent something you liked  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #362 on: January 18, 2020, 11:06:50 AM »
honestly i'm just trying to send as many different types of music as i can where i think every song is killer  :lol
the end are good & definitely traincore but like they're a very normal metal band at the end of the day

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #363 on: January 18, 2020, 11:11:37 AM »
Glad you liked The End. That album as a whole is pretty great.

Question for Train.... What are your feelings on Folk Rock?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #364 on: January 18, 2020, 12:08:16 PM »
oh and nothing on that gabriel kahane album is as complex or long-winded as that one but it's a pretty good album all the same, a few tracks kinda don't work but there's a few tracks that are really fun and some nice ballads too

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #365 on: January 18, 2020, 12:23:40 PM »
I don't think I listen to anything that could be considered folk rock..  :lol maybe so not sure

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2020, 01:18:31 PM »
I don't think I listen to anything that could be considered folk rock..  :lol maybe so not sure
Taking a chance then.....

Sent! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2020, 06:57:29 PM »
Well damn :lol Guess I'll send something heavier now.

That Kiev song is very nice, that gives me ideas on what to send mmnnnn.

Also I don't know that Stateless track, but I'm familiar with their previous album. Cool stuff, you'd dig it too, Trainy.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2020, 07:09:01 PM »
Damn, thrown overboard with a cement brick. Will send soon enough..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #369 on: January 19, 2020, 04:23:46 AM »
This band seems like mostly a mood/atmosphere band that you just really have to resonate with
Guess that's it, it's indeed not the most unique postrock song (though basic idk... :lol) but I just really feel it.

Should send something mediocre soon  ;D ;D
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #370 on: January 19, 2020, 05:16:38 AM »
Also I don't know that Stateless track, but I'm familiar with their previous album. Cool stuff, you'd dig it too, Trainy.
I will check it!
Yeah it really sounds like your kind of music too, not surprised. When is your next roulette?  :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #371 on: January 19, 2020, 01:43:39 PM »
I should revisit it, it's been a long while.

Dunno, am kind of busy right now despite being on vacations, been traveling and got plenty of personal projects to keep me going. Plus I should start studying soon :lol . Buuuut... maybe around late March? Once I start classes again and have a schedule in place. We'll see :P

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #372 on: January 19, 2020, 03:05:57 PM »
Scent

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2020, 12:08:53 AM »
I should revisit it, it's been a long while.

Dunno, am kind of busy right now despite being on vacations, been traveling and got plenty of personal projects to keep me going. Plus I should start studying soon :lol . Buuuut... maybe around late March? Once I start classes again and have a schedule in place. We'll see :P
Take your time man, I picked way too busy a time to do this, I just got excited about receiving good music again and then just went with it since there was no queue :lol

I have 6 songs in! Need homie, Richiedogbirb, Dacul and Harry Redknapp

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: January 20, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
Sent!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2020, 05:20:55 AM »
I will start listening today, I only have 8 songs but it is what it is.. remaining 2 you know who you are. I don't want to chase people around anymore, I'm getting tired of it, it's your responsibility to send in time and not mine to make you.

So I'll just listen today and if I receive them later you'll get less listens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2020, 06:22:49 AM »
I will start listening today, I only have 8 songs but it is what it is.. remaining 2 you know who you are. I don't want to chase people around anymore, I'm getting tired of it, it's your responsibility to send in time and not mine to make you.

Hear hear. If you're in a roulette, send your songs in a timely manner... don't keep the host waiting
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2020, 06:23:28 AM »
ass kisser   :natalieportman:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:59 AM »
ass kisser   :natalieportman:

I sent all my songs in one big batch well over a month ago :2metal:

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #379 on: January 22, 2020, 08:38:19 AM »
same

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: January 22, 2020, 09:37:43 AM »

If I were you I would've probably started listening even before I sent my song :lol

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #381 on: January 22, 2020, 11:14:40 AM »
got everything now, will listen tonight but first impressions probably tomorrow

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #382 on: January 22, 2020, 11:15:35 AM »
Hell yeah looking forward to being wrong on who sent what
And also to having the worst first impression

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #383 on: January 22, 2020, 11:26:50 PM »
Boy the excitement!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #384 on: January 23, 2020, 12:00:27 AM »
I sent Sarah McLachlin - Angel