Author Topic: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! POST-ROULETTE CEREAL HOURS  (Read 33123 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 3 results
« Reply #280 on: December 18, 2019, 04:17:21 AM »
So I have 6 songs in so far, one of which I have to wait to confirm which one is the right one (received 2 songs). One of the artists I received Looks Like another artist this round, nuggets

But since I don't want to pressure people around holiday season too much, and I myself am on holiday from Sunday until 2 January, we will probably move round 4 to next year! If I do receive everything by Saturday latest I will still get a listen in though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #281 on: December 18, 2019, 04:18:41 AM »
You sure will receive something at least, I'll send today
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #282 on: December 18, 2019, 07:39:16 AM »
Holiday break! If you don't like mine, that gives you more time to rethink it  :biggrin:  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #283 on: December 18, 2019, 07:51:05 PM »
But I want results now!  :angel:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #284 on: December 21, 2019, 03:17:44 AM »
I only need 3 more, but I may just give the rest of the songs my first listen today and catch up on the remaining songs after holidays
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #285 on: December 21, 2019, 08:55:44 AM »
thread title callout time  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: December 21, 2019, 09:00:15 AM »
I agree, but I'm not in the US so holidays are like 10 days away from me, in fact I'm gearing up to work tomorrow because well shit

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #287 on: December 21, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »
Sent

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #288 on: January 01, 2020, 09:19:34 PM »
 :corn

:shadowninja:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #289 on: January 03, 2020, 06:09:02 PM »
WWIII incoming, plz giv results before we all die

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #290 on: January 03, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
my song literally killed train, unfortunately

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2020, 01:27:57 AM »
In my defense, I received the last song by the end of last week and I didn’t listen to any music during my holiday :corn

But I’m on my second listen now, I think I’ll have comparisons today and results tomorrow. No first impressions this time

I will say that this round is ok but I don’t recall anything standing out that much. Also don’t recall any major clunkers though

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 4 COMPARISONGS
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2020, 03:46:22 AM »
Oh I think I actually never posted the songs, so here you gooooo
Discussion of the day: Which #12LLY song is better?

Novallo - I Am
The Knife - Neverland
Mac Miller - Self Care
Eastern High - Afterglow
PreHistoric animals - Burn the ground
Purity Ring - begin again
The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Jay Walking Backwards
The Number Twelve Looks Like You - The Garden's All Nighters
Anabasis - Human Supremacy Illusion
Omnium Gatherum - Frontiers

Sacul v
Puppies v
Cyril ^
Elite v
ariich v
home v
TAC ^
Evermind ^
Kattelox ^
Bolsters ^

I'm getting a pretty good idea of scores. I think we're between 6/10 and 8.5/10 this round, maybe 8.75/10 for the #1 (which you can tell from the comparisons, could only be 5 of you)!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 04:01:54 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2020, 09:04:18 AM »
Well damn :corn

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2020, 09:08:00 AM »
OH BOY
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2020, 09:57:21 AM »
ariich: Novallo - I Am
Dacul: The Knife - Neverland
home: Mac Miller - Self Care
Evermind: Eastern High - Afterglow
Elite: PreHistoric animals - Burn the ground
Bolsters: Purity Ring - begin again
Puppies: The Number Twelve Looks Like You - Jay Walking Backwards
Me: The Number Twelve Looks Like You - The Garden's All Nighters
TAC: Anabasis - Human Supremacy Illusion
Katt: Omnium Gatherum - Frontiers

i dunno the other NoXII song so i'll check it out but it's off the album i couldn't finish listening to, so
my score is >8 and puppies is <8.25 so while technically he could still be scoring his higher, well, we'll see  :corn
EDIT: I listened to it and it's. fine. mine's more interesting but less metal so we'll see
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:02:56 AM by Cyril »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2020, 11:15:29 AM »
i dunno the other NoXII song so i'll check it out but it's off the album i couldn't finish listening to, so
my score is >8 and puppies is <8.25 so while technically he could still be scoring his higher, well, we'll see  :corn
EDIT: I listened to it and it's. fine. mine's more interesting but less metal so we'll see
I just find it hilarious, out of all the bands we could have sent, we both sent songs from #12, in the same round. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #297 on: January 04, 2020, 11:20:11 AM »
to be fair, my original song for this round was Illyria :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #298 on: January 05, 2020, 07:06:26 PM »
train how many of my guesses are right  :corn

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #299 on: January 06, 2020, 01:12:58 AM »
All of them actually  :omg:

Sorry I didn’t get to the results yesterday, honestly I’m busier than ever and I’m not sure I have time today, but whenever I have the time I’ll finish the write ups. Started yesterday and am like 1/3 finished.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2020, 05:57:57 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:
:panicattack:

:tiredpanda:
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 4 RESULTS
« Reply #302 on: January 08, 2020, 03:29:11 AM »
ROUND 4 RESULTS

Main theme of this round: these vocals aren't really my thing, but I can somewhat tolerate them. :lol IMPRESS ME DAMNIT
Honestly, I've had a lot of time with these songs as I've been super busy lately. I have been listening to these songs more than of any round but simply didn't get to the write-ups yet. So the scores may not be 100% accurate to the comparisons I posted before.

Elite: PreHistoric animals – Burn the ground

There's something to be said for the rhythm section in this band. It's solid. But everything else screams generic prog/alt metal to me. The vocals are okay but definitely on the side of what I would call a poor man's Daniel Tompkins. It took multiple listens to notice how there's a pretty soft build in the main theme as the song progresses, with little additions in the background in the last chorus. Altogether, it just doesn't really feel like anything new at all, and that's okay if it is memorable in a good way, which for me is also a no.

5.75/10

Kattelox: Omnium Gatherum – Frontiers

So I've seen this band name around here and there, and always figured by the people that mention them, artwork and titles etc. that it would be something too much on the 'power' side of the melodic deathmetal genre for me. And wow I was pretty dead on. :lol I guess I don't necessarily dislike any of this – the lead guitar does some cool things over the chorus, the rhythm section is pretty cool and surprisingly thick. Reason for the latter probably being that the vocals literally just sound like an extra layer in the rhythm section.. I don't mind that sometimes but it's a very give or take situation, I find myself not really caring for any of the vocals. To me they are like Solution. 45 without the cool catchy cleans to mix it up. This band in general sounds like a less memorable Solution. 45.. wish I'd like this more to be honest.

6.25/10

home: Mac Miller – Self Care

This song has really grown on me slowly but surely. I really dig the production, it almost reminds me of Flume with those ghastly sounds. His voice is just kind of annoying and it's not something I can get past easily. Regardless, there's a really nice vibe to the chorus that makes me not care too much about the vocals anymore. I'd rather use the term 'tolerate' than 'enjoy', but if a song leaves a positive impact on me near the end and makes me want to return to it, that's never a bad sign! I think the second half is a bit glued to the first half and not quite as memorable, but I still enjoy everything all the way through.

6.75/10

Sacul: The Knife – Neverland

That main theme of the song is really nice, I'm enjoying the hell out of the synth motif. The vocals are fucking weird and I'm sure that's something that will grow over time, but after plenty of listens I can't say they do much for me. I can tolerate them sure, but beyond that they're still somewhat of an obstacle for me. If I disregard that though, I'm pretty sure there will be plenty to like for me by this band. There's a really cool retro synth vibe to their sound, like something I could imagine being played in a nightclub almost. I want to rank it higher but the replay value for me is just mainly for certain elements in the song and not for the entire thing. Still really want to check out this album if you believe it's worth it.

7.25/10

ariich: Novallo – I Am

Songs like this I find a bit hard to comment on. There's a really nice groove, almost Vector (Haken) like, and cool vocals. I've also been a big fan lately of pop-influenced stuff, so not just pop itself, and this does a good job at that. Somehow despite the overall appeal I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the overall sound, the keyboard is a bit grating and the vocals aren't always hitting the spot (especially the faster parts). But it is a promising sound and I'm pretty excited to at least check out this album.

7.5/10

Cyril: The Number Twelve Looks Like You – The Garden's All Nighters

I'm just going to compare these two songs to each other in my head all the time, it's inevitable. So when I look at this one, I see The Dillinger Escape Plan all over it. I think these guys do the stylistic changes throughout the song a bit subtler than Dillinger personally, but the vocals are undoubtedly not as strong. Speaking of both the melodies and the way his voice sounds. But this bands creates really cool rhythms and almost sounds like a combination between Intronaut and Dillinger in their instrumental sections.

7.5/10

TAC: Anabasis – Human Supremacy Illusion

There's a certain Between the Buried and Me nod to the style here. From the harsh vocals, to the dynamic instrumentation, to the ever-changing direction of the tune. I'm super impressed with basically everything here except for the clean vocals. For my money they're a bit too.. theatrical? But the way this song builds initially into the first time the main theme comes in, all the way through the end of the song when the song is about to conclude on that dj0nt riff. It's just cool the whole time, such a good groove, never gets boring throughout the entire 7 minutes though regardless could maybe do with a bit of trimming. Only for the fact that it seems to derive a little too much from the 'core' of the song, if that makes sense. I'm still pleasantly surprised with what at first seemed like kind of a progpower band and song name. :lol

7.75/10

Puppies: The Number Twelve Looks Like You – Jay Walking Backwards

I find this song a little more interesting on the whole than The Garden's All Nighters. First off, it sounds more like its own thing than a band that wears their influences on their sleeves. Second, I'm finding this one more appealing to return to. It has an overall thicker sound, a little less cookie cutter mathcore-y in a way, some of the riffs sound very epic and more post-y. The vocals on both songs aren't quite my thing, but it's still something I can tolerate and will be able to look past when digging into this band. For reference though, I listened to the new album earlier this year once and was thoroughly impressed. I'm not sure why I never went back, but I may just start with that album as I recall enjoying it a lot.

8/10

Evermind: Eastern High – Afterglow

The more folky bits of this do very little for me, but the way the song builds, just like when you sent me that Mothers of Millions song, is just fantastic. There's some very epic melodies and a very smooth climax. Kind of a shame they chose to do a guitar solo over it though.. but I still can't fault this song for much. In a lot of ways I keep thinking about Artefact, the climax isn't quite as hardhitting but the vocals are more intriguing. Still, the vocals while intriguing aren't exactly my type of vocals if that makes sense? I'm gonna go ahead and 8/10 the hell out of this anyway cause the rest of the tune is just so good.

8/10

Bolsters: Purity Ring – begin again

This is just a great catchy synthy pop tune. I can't fault anything about it. The synth sound is really thick and dreamy, the vocals are just very catchy and I really love how the chorus isn't just some basic 4 sentence ABAB structure. Definitely up to par with the awesome artwork, wish you had sent this back in that roulette, this is right up my alley!

8.75/10

Standings
Evermind: 31.5
Sacul: 30.75
ariich: 30.25
TAC: 29.75
home: 29.25
Cyril: 29
Puppies: 28.25
Bolsters: 27.5
Elite: 26
Kattelox: 25.75

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #303 on: January 08, 2020, 03:58:17 AM »
Booo
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #304 on: January 08, 2020, 06:06:24 AM »
But S45 sucks  :facepalm:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: January 08, 2020, 06:30:14 AM »
How the hell am I still in the lead :lol

I'll send something today or tomorrow, totally forgot about this tbh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #306 on: January 08, 2020, 06:36:07 AM »
I just barely got through the first 10 seconds of the round winner. :omg:

I am in the wrong roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: January 08, 2020, 06:42:00 AM »
Dennis, when you get a chance, can you please PM me what I sent for this round? I forget.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #308 on: January 08, 2020, 09:59:40 AM »
you lied to me  :sadpanda:
begin again is quite good though yes

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #309 on: January 08, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
Dennis, when you get a chance, can you please PM me what I sent for this round? I forget.

Check PM!

4/10 in already hehehehe

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: January 08, 2020, 12:56:56 PM »
Hey, look at that! I'm slowly crawling out of the gutter.  :metal

Sent for round 5  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #311 on: January 08, 2020, 01:31:21 PM »
That's fair, the vocals are indeed weird but it's def an acquired taste. I'd still recommend checking the whole album out at least once, it's such a banger :metal

I'll send later today

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #312 on: January 08, 2020, 01:38:10 PM »

Check PM!

4/10 in already hehehehe

I'm getting a 4/10?  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #313 on: January 08, 2020, 01:47:14 PM »
the 4/10 is my birthright, thief

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #314 on: January 08, 2020, 03:00:56 PM »
TAC you dingus, 4/10 is like.. the future of odd time signatures

maybe you’re right about being in the wrong roulette, but so are 9 other people

That's fair, the vocals are indeed weird but it's def an acquired taste. I'd still recommend checking the whole album out at least once, it's such a banger :metal

I'll send later today
Definitely listening to that my dude yo