Author Topic: Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! POST-ROULETTE CEREAL HOURS  (Read 33103 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 3 LISTENING
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2019, 05:59:17 AM »

Illyria is TAC, i hope this does badly

Looks like I'll be taking one for the team, looking at those impressions.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 3 FIRST IMPRESSIONS
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2019, 06:37:10 AM »
Been hearing that word ‘daft’ more and more around me recently, what the hell does it mean? If it’s positive, thank you!

Like “Hey Train, you’re a pretty daft dude!”
https://www.google.com/search?q=daft

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2019, 09:36:00 AM »
This is the magnum opus I've been wanting you to send.
:metardica:

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »
Meh....

I'm guessing I sent the longest song of the round. Since it's 11 minutes  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2019, 12:43:07 PM »
Hey Train, you're a pretty daft dude!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2019, 01:10:23 AM »
I’m getting in some quality time with this round, it’s so short that I feel more motivated to play it more often which maybe isn’t very fair.. but screw fairness!

I’ll post comparisons fairly soon, like within 1 hour probably?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Naught Roulette! ROUND 3 COMPARISONS
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2019, 01:33:56 AM »
Overall a much stronger round, though nothing as great as the Mother of Millions song. I think scores range from around 8.5 to 5 this round

Evermind v
Bolsters v
Puppies ^
Kattelox v
Cyril ^
Sacul ^
Ariich ^
Home ^
TAC ^
Elite ^
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2019, 01:36:25 AM »
he looks up, grinning like a devil  (7/10)

hope that ^ isn't ^ enough that i have to resend for round 4 tho :P i know what i'd prob replace it with but i don't wanna

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2019, 03:42:25 AM »
Well, that was expected, yeah

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2019, 03:57:56 AM »
Are you threatening me? :millahhhh

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:32 AM »
No, you’re way too daft to threaten!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2019, 07:25:12 AM »
Hey Train, you're such a daft dude!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #258 on: December 16, 2019, 07:46:44 AM »
He told me in a pm that his actual name is Train of Daftness
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #259 on: December 16, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
You're telling me you like Shattered Skies less than Magic Dance? Fuck me. The assortment of songs I sent for the following rounds will be interesting to read about then  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #260 on: December 16, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
He told me in a pm that his actual name is Train of Daftness
TRUE STORY  :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol LMAOOOO

I’m so daft my dudes you should know

You're telling me you like Shattered Skies less than Magic Dance? Fuck me. The assortment of songs I sent for the following rounds will be interesting to read about then  :lol
I mean you can always change those submissions if you change your mind based on my write ups of your song or other peoples songs

Results should be up tomorrow, just need to find the time to do some write ups, maybe still tonight even but I’m a bit tired and drunk

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 3 COMPARISONS
« Reply #261 on: December 16, 2019, 01:51:25 PM »
 :lol No, it's actually a good thing, because I have no idea how ANY of those will score. Looking forward to it  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #262 on: December 16, 2019, 10:37:04 PM »
 :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn :corn

:clarkkent:

:heart
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 3 RESULTS
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2019, 12:15:25 AM »
Round 3 results!

This round is just really damn good overall, apart from the bottom 2 songs or so, I had a super hard time ranking the others. I won't be surprised if this ends up being the round with the highest average score. :lol

Bolsters: Almanac – Nevermore
The vocals have killed what in my head was alreday a bit of a middle ground tune.

If there's anything I'm not that into in metal, it's vocals that lean more on the power metal side of things. My dad got me into Iced Earth when I was super young, and this reminds me a little of them in a way, but not quite as unique. Regardless, that's a style that I've not been interested in anymore and it rarely grabs me. Everything that happens in this song has a purpose, it's a well-crafted song with not overlong solos, a catchy chorus, and very metal riffs.. it's just one ear in and out the other for me. :(

5/10

Kattelox: Shattered Skies – Flipside
It's fairly memorable, but not leaving any positive impression or desire to relisten on me.

It's an odd tune. I was pretty excited about this band, since it's an album I've seen mentioned a whole lot, and used to be very excited about djent (I still am, but not so much about all of the new Periphery/After the Burial clones). Furthermore, the song lonestar sent me (Aesthetics, as I told you) was really cool and at the same time nothing like what Shattered Skies supposedly sound like. This song has a truly catchy riff that I can't really get out of my head but all the same am not super into. I'm generally a much bigger fan of minor over major in my metal, this sounds super upbeat. The vocals are my definition of fine, really nothing I haven't heard before..

6/10

Evermind: Julien Baker – Hurt Less
There's a nice subtle build to this, I'm liking it, just wish it had some more personality to it.

The personality thing is maybe an odd comment, I've just heard so many piano ballads in my life thus far that anything with a somewhat standard format blends together a lot. This is what I expect Adele's music to sound like if she had a more appealing voice. :lol The piano is definitely the most practical instrument for ballads like this that build towards some kind of climax though, the build in intensity is very well done. Despite everything, it's not one of the songs I'd go back to the first, as it sounds like a lot of other music I've heard in the past and isn't doing anything particularly unique. I'm glad she started wearing safety belts though, safety first!!

7.5/10

ariich: Everything Everything – Night of the Long Knives
Good vibes music, I'm not sure how much it will stick out this round but I'm generally pleased with the sound of this.

I had one main gripe from the beginning and that's that the verses sound strange.. I wasn't that into this fast speaking, if that makes sense? But I was super into everything everything else. It's somewhat of an indie anthem, mixed with some funk. I love epic melodies along with this kind of music, and the fairly simple nature of the musicianship puts more focus on those vocals and makes them shine, and also on those thick synth layers. Solid song, very curious to see how this fits into the whole album, and happy to see that you haven't sent me anything I don't like yet (I think you and Sacul are the only ones without a sub 7 score)!

7.75/10

home: JPEGMAFIA – Jesus Forgive Me, I Am A Thot
There's some stuff to like here, but this one element is mostly killing my enjoyment.

I recognize this is a grower now, it took me some time to get over the repeated melody in the verses, it was ruining what was mostly a fun and very smoothly composed little song. When the vocals get more intense and the song transitions to a bit of a heavier passage briefly is when it gets truly interesting. I feel like it's similar to the Frank Ocean song in that regard, though this song does it better for my taste. Fast back and forths, memorable melodies, and a great bass sound. I'm really curious to check out the album, even if I'm not 'sold' just on the fact that it's a bit of a short tune that doesn't give me enough opportunity to truly figure out how much I would be into it.

7.75/10

TAC: Illyria – Autumn Fades Away
Spent almost the entire song waiting for something to happen, there's some questionable songwriting choices, but I find it engaging enough.

I'll just come out and say it, this song doesn't get interesting for me until the middle of the song. I don't want to sound like these "hurrr not metal enough" people, I'm just not huuuuge on that acoustic folky side of things. The part where it's still acoustic, but they introduce the riff that comes back in the end of the song is really good. It's a lovely chord progression, and already knowing what it's going to be bursting out into makes it even more epic. I wonder how much I would like the song Parama sent me, but it's officially banned now. I will probably check out the album pretty soon, cause while it's not necessarily among the best songs of the round, I've been wanting to check out this band for a while now and this got me interested enough.

7.5/10

Elite: Have A Nice Life – Bloodhail
Nice blend of styles, honestly not what I expected from this artist going into it.

I had this image in my head that Have A Nice Life was somehow slow ambient music, but this is surprisingly energetic. The mix sounds perfect, with a really nice atmospheric sound to it, particularly the bass. It's a very chilled tune, but nonetheless really engaging and diverse. The guitar around the middle mark is reminiscent of the sound you'd hear on some alternative metal / post-rock record. Everything feels very complete when the song nears its end and all the elements previously introduced come back together at the same time. I don't really remember what There Is No Food sounds like which you sent me in a previous roulette, but I don't think I was impressed with that one as much as with this one. Yes.

8/10

Cyril: Taylor Swift – Cruel Summer
Really digging the atmosphere, I'm pretty positive this will grow on me even more.

I actually listened to the wrong song once and am glad you stepped up and pointed out my fuck up. That song was not that good as far as I remember. This one is super catchy, there's a general happy overtone to it (even when she's probably singing about breakups or something) and anthemic vibe that pumps you up. It's also short enough not to bore me, the chorus is great and doesn't suffer from Blood Brothers syndrome! I recently listened to 1989 again, and received 2 songs from that album in my first roulette. I was really into those at the time, but I think this one is better. Excited to see what Mrs. Swift has to offer in 2019!

8/10

Puppies: Esoteric – Beneath This Face
This is the magnum opus I've been wanting you to send.

Getting into this song, it sounds like the music is somewhere in-between doom, black and post-metal. Post-blackened doom metal?? It's interesting, because I normally don't like doom that much since it tends to be a bit slow and uneventful for my taste. It relies a lot on creating a certain atmosphere and painting a picture, but combine it with some more dynamic instrumentation, fucking agonising as fucking fuck (seriously :omg: :omg:) vocals, and very sick chord progressions.. and you have a freaking hit! They do this thing that I love with the guitars going from a tame palm-muted riffing style slowly into open chords for those really subtle transitions, and then BAM into blast beat mode. Of course I heard of Esoteric, but I didn't really know what they did apart from 'extreme metal', this has definitely sold me.

8.25/10

Sacul: Susanne Sundfor – Accelerate
Potential round winner here, very lovely vocals and super cool instrumentation.

I absolutely love the blend of dark singer-songwriter music with retro/synthwave, it's genius. The instrumentation is outdoing my expectations, I fully expected a more vocal-focused song from this girl after the two songs I've received by her before. Surprisingly, the chorus is probably my least favourite thing of this song, which is somewhat of a disservice, but it's not bad by any means. It's great how they change up the drum sound over the course of the song too and give it a little more punch as the synths get a little more epic, and then pull out the goth organ. :metal Very much an "I need to delve into this artist NOW" kind of submission, should I check out this album now?

8.5/10

Standings
Sacul: 23.5
Evermind: 23.5
ariich: 22.75
home: 22.5
TAC: 22
Cyril: 21.5
Elite: 20.25
Puppies: 20.25
Kattelox: 19.5
Bolsters: 18.75
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 12:28:44 AM by Train of Naught »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2019, 12:18:33 AM »
listen to the one i sent you anyways, it's literally completely different in sound from autumn fades away  :lol
anyways sending a new v soon

edit: resent. go listen to the illyria song i sent you then the resend i sent you immediately after, it'll set expectations well. i honestly think putting them back to back on an EP would make for a really good transition, also
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 12:47:30 AM by Cyril »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2019, 01:25:49 AM »
Sent something completely different.  :corn :|
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #266 on: December 17, 2019, 01:57:11 AM »
Sent something completely different.  :corn :|
Same. :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: December 17, 2019, 03:03:01 AM »
Can't believe I lost to the thot song :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: December 17, 2019, 06:13:45 AM »
DOWN, BELOW, LOWER, AT THE BOTTOM, WHERE THE TRAIN OBSERVES YOU

That's where my score resides :2metal:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Very Big Big Train of Daftness Roulette! ROUND 3 results
« Reply #269 on: December 17, 2019, 06:22:16 AM »
OK..then..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #270 on: December 17, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »
Bottom half of the round but a very respectable score, glad you liked it. The album is quite varied really, some of it is pretty poppy, but it's great so definitely check it out!

EDIT: Oh yeah and I edited the thread title for Trainy. :P
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:50:53 AM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: December 17, 2019, 08:08:43 AM »
Wow, didn't expect round winner, awesome :metal . Yeah def check that album out, it slaps.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #272 on: December 17, 2019, 08:44:28 AM »

hey don't steal my lines :getoffmylawn:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: December 17, 2019, 08:48:01 AM »

hey don't steal my lines :getoffmylawn:

I'm sorry, that line's just been cracking me up ever since I read it, it just kills me :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: December 17, 2019, 09:02:59 AM »
What's the reference? I'm not getting it :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: December 17, 2019, 09:04:15 AM »
What's the reference? I'm not getting it :P

Earlier in the thread, Cyrilama posted it in response to Train talking about low scores, which in turn I believe is a joke/reference to the new Leprous album with the song "Observe the Train"  :lol

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54560.msg2610152#msg2610152

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #276 on: December 17, 2019, 01:37:16 PM »
There's some stuff to like here, but this one element is mostly killing my enjoyment.

I recognize this is a grower now, it took me some time to get over the repeated melody in the verses, it was ruining what was mostly a fun and very smoothly composed little song. When the vocals get more intense and the song transitions to a bit of a heavier passage briefly is when it gets truly interesting. I feel like it's similar to the Frank Ocean song in that regard, though this song does it better for my taste. Fast back and forths, memorable melodies, and a great bass sound. I'm really curious to check out the album, even if I'm not 'sold' just on the fact that it's a bit of a short tune that doesn't give me enough opportunity to truly figure out how much I would be into it.

Jesus be blessed as that is a pretty good review. Eventhough it is straight out blasphemy to rate any of my next submissions higher than Frank Ocean. I would say Jesus Forgive, I Am A Thot gives you pretty good idea of the album, it's easily as chaotic as this song. And I'll send soon my dafty boi  :hat
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #277 on: December 17, 2019, 05:37:11 PM »

Jesus be blessed as that is a pretty good review. Eventhough it is straight out blasphemy to rate any of my next submissions higher than Frank Ocean. I would say Jesus Forgive, I Am A Thot gives you pretty good idea of the album, it's easily as chaotic as this song. And I'll send soon my dafty boi  :hat
See you next year man! Look forward what other music you’re sending that’s hopefully better than Mr Ocean :*

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #279 on: December 18, 2019, 01:09:29 AM »
Wow, didn't expect round winner, awesome :metal . Yeah def check that album out, it slaps.
Too late, already did at work yesterday :D my colleague thought it sounded like ABBA :lol but I think it was a compliment
I dug it, very nice record