Author Topic: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - Post-Roulette: Puppies_On_Albums  (Read 50663 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - WINNER!! Congratulations...
« Reply #841 on: March 22, 2020, 06:49:44 AM »
I so want Stadler to come to ProgPower one year so we can talk music. The man knows his stuff.

I'd do that; if we survive, that is.  Thatnk you fofn

I must know what Stadler was getting at before the headhunters found him.

I received post-roulette stuff from Train and Puppies so I will be posting those soon :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #843 on: April 18, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »
 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #844 on: April 18, 2020, 11:26:21 PM »
post your own results first before whatever you're waiting on :getoffmylawn:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #845 on: April 19, 2020, 12:45:59 AM »
 :corn :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - Post-Roulette: Train of Songs
« Reply #846 on: April 21, 2020, 03:13:40 PM »
BUMP!! Way overdue for this but since I fired off my final round to Puppies' current roulette, got eliminated from home's, and just have Indi's to focus on, I can finally focus enough to share my thoughts on a couple post-roulette submissions. First, Train sent me a playlist of 20 songs. A couple of these I was already familiar with, but it's mostly all new stuff. Train probably thinks I forgot all about it or didn't even listen to it, but I went back today since I've had a slow afternoon at work. Next up is Puppies!  :biggrin: No scoring, just sharing my thoughts.

1. Stateless - Ballad of NGB
   - This has a nice beat. Kind of a low key vibe, big 19th century parlor energy from the string parts

2. Ulver - It Is Not Sound
   - Mhmm... I like the ambient, soundscape-ish Ulver more than this. Although, that said... the crazy Gentle Giant keyboard madness at the end is awesome and the best part of the song. I'm just glad I wasn't left with blue balls after waiting for it to blow its load for a few minutes.

3. Manchester Orchestra - Virgin
   - I sorta like the album A Black Mile to the Surface, it's kind of a mood. I kind of like this song but kind of don't like the kids singing at the end. I'm conflicted. If you can't tell, I'm still kinda sorta maybe ehhh possibly iffy on this band. I think.

4. Low - Always Trying to Work It Out
   - Oh this is awesome. Love the production in this one and the cool effects. Smooth vibe. Really nice tune.

5. Tides From Nebula - Dopamine
   - romdrums sent this to me last fall, I believe. Great tune, one of my favorites of this bunch, too. Huge chill energy. Bumping this group up on my list of bands to check out, should've done that months ago

6. Raketkanon - Anna
   - I dig all the room the song has to breathe before the distorted riffs kick in; minimal chords and singing over that simple and crisp drum beat is pleasant. The riff and song are groovy but man I dig that first minute or so most of all.

7. Foetus - Aladdin Reverse
   - This is a Kubrick film condensed and translated into 7 and a half minutes of what the fuck. I did not enjoy this at all.

8. Dreamarcher - Coal
   - Was having fun until the disemboweling starting a couple minutes in. Thankfully it was short-lived. After that it's enjoyable, but sticks around a bit too long for what it is. Nice rhythmic stuff though.

9. Latitudes - Part Island
   - Wow that was epic. One of my favorites of the bunch. Huge mood. Loved the soft bits so much, but the heaviness added so much. Killer cover art on this one. Kinda like Agalloch in that it just finds its groove and stays in the pocket.

10. In the Silence - Ever Closer
   - Ooh. Cool textures on this one... nice beat... This one rocks. Relentless head bopper, love the rapid machine gun style bits on the guitar, song carries a melody but maintains aggression and momentum, I like that.

11. LENIO - Weight On A Scale
   - Pretty cool stuff. Having a real hard time categorizing most of the music on this playlist - including this one. That said, while it's fun when it's on, it immediately falls out of my memory when it's over.

12. Grimes - So Heavy I Fell Through the Earth
   - One of my favorite records of February! Loved this album, loved this song.

13. The Black Queen - Secret Scream
   - I was expecting some really heavy grimy metal and was pleasantly surprised here. Very poppy, honestly this and Grimes are a very nice much-needed break from the other stuff going on so far, so this one stands out in a big way. Infectious beat and hook, drippy synth stuff happening, big mood, fun song!

14. The Dillinger Escape Plan - Mouth of Ghosts
   - I've heard about this band for years. I have never listened to them. I was expecting balls to the wall, straight sludgy super aggressive metal. Instead I was greeted with softness and a f'ing glorious piano bit over an active rhythm section and an album cover that is more reminiscent of fox capture plan's Fragile. I'm so confused. JESUS CHRIST this just keeps getting better. WOW. Big impress. Such react. Seriously, wow. I am so stupid. I don't know why I expected like... Five Finger Death Punch or something.

15. ef - Hiraeth
   - I forgot about this band and I'm mad at myself about that. I came across their debut like, a week after it was released, completely by chance, and it was *awesome.* One of my favorite post-rock records. Then I just completely forgot about them. This is a good track but with much more edge than is on that first record. Seems like I've missed an evolution.

16. BADBADNOTGOOD - Can't Leave the Night
   - Smooth. This is a vibe track. Not much to say about this, it's just dope from start to finish. The few songs I've heard from BADBADNOTGOOD have all been wonderful. Making notes...

17. Sleep Token - The Offering
   - Whoa. That's kinda weird. Not sure what you'd call this. I guess that means it fits perfectly on this playlist. This is another one of those pieces that is good, but I struggle to think of when I'd come back to this. It's a vibe that I don't really get down with but I can in the right mood. This has a groove I like, though.

18. Her Name Is Calla - A Modern Vesper
   - Oooh that beat! And that soft section after up until the end! COOL!

19. Pendulum - Different
   - dat fresh beat doe. Yeah this track is tight, love the frantic tempo and that watery high-pitched synth melody that comes in every so often. Really cool!

20. Mew - The Wake of Your Life
   - Oh I like this. More than a lot of the stuff on Frengers and ATGHK. This has a bit of that 80s rock energy right down to the keyboards in the beginning. I would probably put this up there with The Zookeeper's Boy as one of the better songs I've heard from Mew. The vocals are more to my liking on this song, too.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #847 on: April 21, 2020, 03:18:10 PM »
Wow, he sent you some great stuff in Latitudes, ef, and Mew.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #848 on: April 21, 2020, 03:19:21 PM »
definitely don't listen to more Dillinger, Mouth of Ghosts is not like 90% of their other stuff  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #849 on: April 21, 2020, 03:22:36 PM »
definitely don't listen to more Dillinger, Mouth of Ghosts is not like 90% of their other stuff  :lol

Oh.  That makes me really sad actually  :(

I'm definitely revisiting ef. Can't believe that debut came out 10 years ago wtfff

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #850 on: April 21, 2020, 04:22:42 PM »
Wow, that’s mostly pretty positive, super nice! Glad you liked so much of it. Parama is mostly right.. :lol I wouldn’t recommend any single TDEP album based on that tune, it’s quite the oddball. If anything, I guess Option Paralysis, Ire Works or One of Us is the Killer is your best shot at liking one of their albums, but I wouldn’t bet a lot on it.

That Latitudes albums is an absolute must and so are the Low, Stateless (courtesy of ariich thank you!!), BBNG, Lenio, Pendulum and Her Name is Calla ones if you happen to find the time! I see you’re gonna be on ef already anyway hehe

It’s sad I had to go out after round 1 but happy I could still deliver some goods!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #852 on: April 22, 2020, 10:27:45 AM »
Mike, not a late submission to the roulette, but this is as good as any to suggest something else to listen to in your COVID-19 haze.

Steve Earle.   Country, but with a lot more "fuck you" than standard country.  Especially recently, he's gotten a lot more political (VERY left wing; not "Joe Biden" left wing, but more "Fidel Castro/Vladimir Lenin" left wing), but all his writing, from day one to now, is very in tune emotionally.  I suggest his "Ain't Never Satisfied" compilation, especially disk two.   "The Devil's Right Hand" is one of the best songs ever written, if you ask me. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: April 22, 2020, 10:40:35 AM »
Mike, not a late submission to the roulette, but this is as good as any to suggest something else to listen to in your COVID-19 haze.

Steve Earle.   Country, but with a lot more "fuck you" than standard country.  Especially recently, he's gotten a lot more political (VERY left wing; not "Joe Biden" left wing, but more "Fidel Castro/Vladimir Lenin" left wing), but all his writing, from day one to now, is very in tune emotionally.  I suggest his "Ain't Never Satisfied" compilation, especially disk two.   "The Devil's Right Hand" is one of the best songs ever written, if you ask me.

Thank you for the suggestion, buddy, and I'll check it out as soon as I get done posting Puppies' album that he made for me :2metal:

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #854 on: April 22, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »
13. The Black Queen - Secret Scream
   - I was expecting some really heavy grimy metal and was pleasantly surprised here. Very poppy, honestly this and Grimes are a very nice much-needed break from the other stuff going on so far, so this one stands out in a big way. Infectious beat and hook, drippy synth stuff happening, big mood, fun song!
lmao

AND WE'RE ON TO THE FINALS!! Thanks so much for playing, guys. I liked everything in the EP rounds... just about.  :biggrin:
Sacul: from bleep to blop
"No fancy theme, just 6 very nice tracks that I hope are nicer than Stadler's :P "

1. Massive Attack - Risingson
2. Portishead - Roads
3. The Black Queen - The End Where We Start
4. Arms and Sleepers - Twentynine Palms
5. múm - Green Green Grass of Tunnel
6. Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

The Black Queen's "The End Where We Start" is the highlight of the EP. It's fantastic, the vibe and choice of synths and melodies is a home run. A real winner.
:sadpanda:

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #855 on: April 22, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
HAHA. I thought the artist looked familiar. Was that really March 11th? Feels like it was six damn months ago!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #856 on: April 22, 2020, 01:00:46 PM »
I know right :lol. Also check the album, it's excellent :metal

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: April 22, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »
Just saved it to my Spotify  :corn :metal

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #860 on: April 27, 2020, 08:12:54 PM »
Sorry Pup, I meant to write yours up Saturday but I've been in a lot of pain the last three days. I'll try to write it up tomorrow. I know I should've gotten to this much earlier.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #861 on: April 27, 2020, 10:03:34 PM »
Sorry Pup, I meant to write yours up Saturday but I've been in a lot of pain the last three days. I'll try to write it up tomorrow. I know I should've gotten to this much earlier.
No worries. Hope all is OK. Get to it when you can, no rush.  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #862 on: April 28, 2020, 10:46:55 AM »
I was finishing it up at my desk this morning but got interrupted by a squad car. Damn cops  :censored  :lol Writeup this afternoon!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Puppies_On_Acid presents
The Order of Death

1: Mesarthim - Fragmenting (0:00-10:48)
2: Negura Bunget - Cel din Urma vis (10:48-20:50)
3: Blut aus Nord - Mahagma (20:50-27:07)
4: Midnight Odyssey - When Death Comes Crawling (27:07-35:42)
5: Spectral Lore - Cosmic Significance (35:42-47:41)
6: Summoning - The Land of the Dead (47:41-60:05)

1. Mesarthim - Fragmenting (0:00-10:48)

You said there is a story to this but it's for me to figure out. Well... I can't find the lyrics to this song anywhere, so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to figure it out. This track is fucking cool. My one complaint is the vocals. I like some harsh vocals but I'm very picky. I don't like the kind that sound like they're screaming with their mouths as wide open as physically possible, where it's like they're not even trying to enunciate. So, I have no fucking clue what this is about, but the electronic bits over the noise balance things out to make one really cool track. Like techno-atmos black metal. Weirdly compelling. The last few minutes are really nice, such a pretty string melody but very slight hints of darkness in the last few seconds.

Metal Archives list Mesarthim as atmospheric black metal with trance elements, with lyrics about the cosmos. I could dig that. Considering looking into this record because of the dope space art.

2. Negura Bunget - Cel din Urma vis (10:48-20:50)

I took the lyrics for this one and threw them into Google Translate and got back some Luca Turilli-esque word salad telling me this song is maybe about Hell or some dark, desolate wasteland with some evil energy? Still have no idea what this story is about, but I love the dark ambience in this. Screams are hard enough to understand, but in another language? Fugeddaboudit. There's something about that that makes me lose interest in the music on a fundamental level; if I can't understand what they're spitting, and translations don't help, the music really needs to be on another level to set it apart. Not getting that from this but I do like that the synth pads continue to add some weight to the music as the song continues. That's about it though.

3. Blut aus Nord - Mahagma (20:50-27:07)

Hold up, gonna put on my Smart Hat: does that name mean "Blood of the North"? Ist Metall. Okay, atmospheric black metal is clearly the name of the game with this concept album. There's that part about 3 minutes in with that majestic tremolo picked riff that sounds gorgeous - love this track when it's in that pocket. In fact, most atmospheric black metal seems to resonate with me when it's just like this section: not so much focused on riffs or small chunks of repetition, but longer sections of full-band double-bass tremolo picking metal with synth pads. Always go back to Kardashev's "Between Sea and Sky" when I think of that sound I love so much.

Also, fucking awesome art for some of these records. The art for the albums of the Mesarthim and Blut aus Nord tracks are massive Katt energy.

Also also, I gave up figuring out what this story is a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.

Also also also, right now is point is when which your album actually goes from 'good' to 'WHOA':

4. Midnight Odyssey - When Death Comes Crawling (27:07-35:42)

I've seen this art before, somewhere on DTF. Either from you or Parama Cyril or maybe Train. Instrumentally, I love this. Vocally, I hate this. But I can finally make out some story! Er.. I think. A forest burning to ashes, leaving nothing but death and silence. "There's no hope when death comes crawling." Yikes - that's powerful.

So over time, I warmed up a bit to the "singing" but mostly because of the production and how distant he sounds. The fundamental sound of the vocals isn't that appealing though. The lyrics are brutal and paint a metal picture. Strangely, despite my strong opinion on the vocals, this is one of my favorites of the bunch. Those choirs and pads take the edge off the raw metal side of the music and create this silky layer that gently coats a crusty metal interior. I really like this aspect of atmospheric black metal. Bands I got into toward the end of last year: Obsidian Tide, Illyria, Ashbringer... the beautiful incorporation of keyboards and strings complements the unrelenting harshness of the black metal side so well.

5. Spectral Lore - Cosmic Significance (35:42-47:41)

The art and song names for this track's record are really cool, just saying.

This track is such a mood. The keyboards are enchanting, and when the drums and guitars come in they gradually build into something intense instead of coming in guns blazing. No vocals for me to nitpick which is a plus in this case. I love how it spends the first half in a dreamlike trance before picking up. Again, this is the kind of atmospheric black metal I like: the kind you can barely call black metal, I guess. If I wasn't aware this is considered ABM, I'd call it like... avant-garde metal or something. Regardless, this has a shimmer to it by which I'm spellbound.

6. Summoning - The Land of the Dead (47:41-60:05)

I'm going to be short and sweet on this: from start to finish, everything about this is perfect. The pipes with the choirs, the contrast of beautiful choirs and string/keyboard arrangements with the reverb-laden screaming and metal elements. Apparently my favorite kind of atmospheric black metal is the stuff that doesn't even register as 'metal' - when the keyboards and arrangements overwhelm the metal, that's the best. Especially with these pipes, their sound is *everything*. Okay, so maybe I wasn't short and sweet, but I fucking LOVE this song. Also what the fuck, DTF? This band apparently writes all their stuff about LOTR but nobody clued me in on this group before? SHAME!

This album - especially the last three - are representative of what I call "Puppies music" yet you sent nothing like this in the very first round, which got you eliminated immediately! Waddafuk, bro?

I'm waiting for you to enlighten me about the story, but this is awesome. Please recommend me an album each by Midnight Odyssey, Spectral Lore, and Summoning. I *need* more. Especially Summoning. Like, STAT.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
listen to the albums those spectral lore and midnight odyssey songs are off of lol. III is a 10/10 and Funerals is a 9/10 imo. Both are also long as heck tho (90ish and 120ish minutes respectively) so

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
listen to the albums those spectral lore and midnight odyssey songs are off of lol. III is a 10/10 and Funerals is a 9/10 imo. Both are also long as heck tho (90ish and 120ish minutes respectively) so

Cyrilpanda to the rescue while Pup is (I assume) @werk. :hifive:

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Checking out this EP tomorrow, nice.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

• DTF.org Member
Glad you liked it as much as you did. I was hesitant to send black metal in the first round for fear it would get me eliminated....Oh the irony.... :lol

So for Summoning, definitely check out the album The Land of the Dead is on first, Oath Bound. From there, I would go all the way back to their second album (skip their first, it's not what you are looking for), Minas Morgul and then work your way forward chronologically all the way to Old Mornings Dawn. There latest album (With Doom We Come) is, again, not what you are looking for. Every album between their first and their last is Grade-A synthy atmospheric black metal.  :hefdaddy :metal

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Glad you liked it as much as you did. I was hesitant to send black metal in the first round for fear it would get me eliminated....Oh the irony.... :lol

So for Summoning, definitely check out the album The Land of the Dead is on first, Oath Bound. From there, I would go all the way back to their second album (skip their first, it's not what you are looking for), Minas Morgul and then work your way forward chronologically all the way to Old Mornings Dawn. There latest album (With Doom We Come) is, again, not what you are looking for. Every album between their first and their last is Grade-A synthy atmospheric black metal.  :hefdaddy :metal

:hefdaddy

When I saw there was an album called Minas Morgul, and another called Dol Goldur, I instantly fell in love (that was when I first heard the Summoning track and was looking them up). Sold, will check out very soon!

Something tells me you'll do much better in my next roulette, eh?  :lol