Author Topic: Favorite songs of the decade  (Read 17093 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Favorite songs of the decade
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2019, 07:16:21 PM »

Yes, indeed with the Star One song.  Are you sure about that Ayreon song?  I thought it was one of the ones with LaBrie on it (The Human Equation, not The Source, but I just wrote a post saying I don't remember shit, so don't ask me).   I just listened to it and it's not familiar; I don't know what it scored, but I really dug it.  It's really good.   I love the "chorus" (not really a chorus, just the part he sings "beyond the Rainbow Bridge!") and the "Run, run!" parts. Way cool.   

Nightwish:  The difference for me is the vocals.  Tarja has a quality to her voice that's a little... twee is the only word I can use (when she sings "lost is there!" is an example).   Floor seems to have a more powerful voice, to me.   

You are welcome; you by and large send good stuff, even if it doesn't always resonate in the moment.

I totally get what you're saying about Tarja vs Floor.  As for the Ayreon, 100% I sent Rainbow Bridge.  If you got a JLB song from THE, someone else sent it.

Jingle.boy:  Ayreon, “Across the Rainbow Bridge”:   What was I saying about “pretentious”?   But I loved it!  The way this song unfolded like a CD booklet or a well-wrapped package was awesome.  The spoken word, the quiet vocals, the louder vocals... really built nicely.    I loved the way the first “Across the rainbow bridge!” cut through, and then the second time, it wasn’t just a repeat of the phrase, but rather it was its own section.   Reminded me a lot of Sabbath in that the song leaves the impression of a series of parts strung together but done so cohesively as to be seamless, almost like a spiral staircase the way it builds.  It also reminds me of Me And Sarah Jane, a song that has I think five sections and yet never exactly repeats any of them.   (And lyrically…  antigoon might have a legit beef; if I called Lorde pretentious what the FUCK is this?)  I had heard a lot about this band on this site, but never got around to hearing them.   This is a band I will dig further into as time goes by.   I loved this.  8.5
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2019, 07:18:02 PM »
I can't even do this. I'm having trouble with my top albums from this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2019, 07:19:12 PM »
For me, 2000-2019 are just one big blur
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2019, 04:31:24 AM »
Just so I can beat RJ at least one day.

Lost in Thought / Beyond the Flames

Their first song from their first album, and right from the opening drum roll, then guitair riff, then keyboard chords.... the first 30 seconds tells you how this track is going to unfold.  Nate Loosemore's voice is just pure gold - this guy can wail.  Shame it took them 7 years to release a follow up.  The DT influence on display here is immense.  Fans of DT, DGM, and Circus Maximus will absolutely adore this.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2019, 08:01:21 AM »

Yes, indeed with the Star One song.  Are you sure about that Ayreon song?  I thought it was one of the ones with LaBrie on it (The Human Equation, not The Source, but I just wrote a post saying I don't remember shit, so don't ask me).   I just listened to it and it's not familiar; I don't know what it scored, but I really dug it.  It's really good.   I love the "chorus" (not really a chorus, just the part he sings "beyond the Rainbow Bridge!") and the "Run, run!" parts. Way cool.   

Nightwish:  The difference for me is the vocals.  Tarja has a quality to her voice that's a little... twee is the only word I can use (when she sings "lost is there!" is an example).   Floor seems to have a more powerful voice, to me.   

You are welcome; you by and large send good stuff, even if it doesn't always resonate in the moment.

I totally get what you're saying about Tarja vs Floor.  As for the Ayreon, 100% I sent Rainbow Bridge.  If you got a JLB song from THE, someone else sent it.

Jingle.boy:  Ayreon, “Across the Rainbow Bridge”:   What was I saying about “pretentious”?   But I loved it!  The way this song unfolded like a CD booklet or a well-wrapped package was awesome.  The spoken word, the quiet vocals, the louder vocals... really built nicely.    I loved the way the first “Across the rainbow bridge!” cut through, and then the second time, it wasn’t just a repeat of the phrase, but rather it was its own section.   Reminded me a lot of Sabbath in that the song leaves the impression of a series of parts strung together but done so cohesively as to be seamless, almost like a spiral staircase the way it builds.  It also reminds me of Me And Sarah Jane, a song that has I think five sections and yet never exactly repeats any of them.   (And lyrically…  antigoon might have a legit beef; if I called Lorde pretentious what the FUCK is this?)  I had heard a lot about this band on this site, but never got around to hearing them.   This is a band I will dig further into as time goes by.   I loved this.  8.5

I'd write that same thing again today if given the song (though I have dug in a little to the band, and it's paid off really well). 

I shouldn't like Ayreon though; it's odd for me because I'm so "singer focused" in the bands I like.   I will absolutely love something with one singer, and not another (MSG is an example; I only like Barden and Bonnet, and won't listen to the McCauley stuff).   I'm not always keen on albums with a multitude of singers, but they pull it off.   

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »
Just so I can beat RJ at least one day.

Lost in Thought / Beyond the Flames

Their first song from their first album, and right from the opening drum roll, then guitair riff, then keyboard chords.... the first 30 seconds tells you how this track is going to unfold.  Nate Loosemore's voice is just pure gold - this guy can wail.  Shame it took them 7 years to release a follow up.  The DT influence on display here is immense.  Fans of DT, DGM, and Circus Maximus will absolutely adore this.

:lol you're three hours ahead of me, how are you not beating me everyday? 

:eyebrows:

Haven't heard that one...listening now.   And for my turn...

#25- Incura- Disable Everything, 2017

Discovered through That Drummer Guy's year end list, the first of a few artists I found there, this group from up north is ridiculously skilled, and about as catchy as anything out there. The lead singer's intense, dramatic style brings brilliant color to all their tracks, and the band backs it with a hard hitting yet almost poppy edge. Very unique, and one that saw a good deal of my attention over the years.

https://incura.bandcamp.com/track/disable-everything

Offline Lethean

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2019, 07:52:51 PM »

*raises hand*

Glad you enjoyed that song. :)

Also Floor, and many many other singers, are way better than Tarja. :P

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2019, 05:39:38 AM »
Dream Theater / Breaking All Illusions

They could've easily called this Learning to Live Pt2.  It's almost as good as LtL, and the best thing they did all decade - by far.  Great opening riff, excellent delivery by James, two fantastic solos, JM lyrics... it's all wrapped up in a tidy little package.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2019, 10:42:45 AM »
Yup, you'll be seeing that on my list very soon...

#24 Kingcrow- In Crescendo, 2013

Very few bands had a three album run this decade that could've topped Italian product Kingcrow, but it was their 2013 concept album In Crescendo that really was a step above the rest. A true emotional powerhouse, the title track delivers everything needed in a prog metal song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBzGvD_zxk

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
The River Empires - Three Tigers
Lehto & Wright - Betsy Bell and Mary Gray
Janelle Monae - BaBopByeYa
Cloud Cult - Room Full of People In Your Head
Sufjan Stevens - Impossible Soul
Menomena - Killemall
Warpaint - Undertow
Foals - Spanish Sahara
Emanuel & the Fear - Jimme's Song
Jazzkamikaze - Music is My Heroin
Oceansize - Silent Transparent
Pure Reason Revolution - Open Insurrection
Everything Everything - MY KZ, UR BF
The Reign of Kindo - Out of Sight, Out of Mind
22- Gotodo
Anathema - Angels Walk Among Us
Timmy Sean - Can't Stop the World
Timbre - I Will Go Plant Little Flowers
The Apples in Stereo - No Vacation
Distrails - My Child
The Gloomcatcher - The Rising Cain
Dead Letter Circus - The Drum
Annuals - Loxstep
Bend Sinister - Things Will Get Better

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2019, 08:10:21 PM »
Yup, you'll be seeing that on my list very soon...

#24 Kingcrow- In Crescendo, 2013

Very few bands had a three album run this decade that could've topped Italian product Kingcrow, but it was their 2013 concept album In Crescendo that really was a step above the rest. A true emotional powerhouse, the title track delivers everything needed in a prog metal song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XBzGvD_zxk

:hefdaddy and another that you introduced me to.

I had a lot of Kingcrow songs I could've put here. Phlegathon makes my Top 50, but I don't have any on this list.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2019, 10:22:32 PM »
Night's Descending probably would've made my list if I did one.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2019, 10:43:09 PM »
If there can only be one song per band, Phlegethon is definitely it for me.  That song is awesome on the album, and even better live.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2019, 05:35:23 AM »
#23 Karnya- A Parphreniac Menticide

Yet another Italian band (wtf do they put in the water over there???), this concept album dominated my headphones for a good part of 2013. Though the album is epic beginning to end, the epic track deserves a spot on this list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoeTxK54O-Q

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2019, 06:20:50 AM »
I wasn't quite as taken with this one as you, but yet another that you introduced me to!  Now for one that I shared with you... though I don't think it left a mark

Dec Burke / Days Like These

Guitarist (and some vocals) from the first 2 Frost* albums, Dec has a very cool and smooth voice.  This is from his 2nd solo album, which has a killer opening track (this one), but then falls off after that.  His debut album is stellar though - top to bottom.  Nothing to link here really - the only thing publicly available is a live phone recording on YT from a small club - and it sounds like ass.  This album is not on Spotify either   :-\

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2019, 09:51:59 AM »
Have to catch up for the weekend:

25. Irresistible Force (Met The Immovable Object) - Jane's Addiction (Too bad the rest of the album isn't as strong)
24. Secret Sciences - Devin Townsend Project (Other than the Dead, not sure there's an artist I've done such a 180 on; I love this entire album)
23. Speed Of Light - Iron Maiden  (Could have been "If Eternity Should Fail", but this has a little more punch to it, and I like Bruce's vocal a little better).

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2019, 10:00:25 AM »
23. Speed Of Light - Iron Maiden  (Could have been "If Eternity Should Fail", but this has a little more punch to it, and I like Bruce's vocal a little better).

This is curious. Speed of Light is probably the only song I'm tempted to skip on TBoS. I love If Eternity Should Fail though, my third favourite song on the album (and it's my favourite album of the reunion era too).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2019, 10:13:33 AM »
Speed Of Light is good but If Eternity Should Fail is so much better.

Devin Townsend is also good, but for tge last couple of records he didn't really grab me, but to each his own.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2019, 11:21:11 AM »
I can't argue with either of you; I just love Bruce's vocal on that song, especially the "Shadows in the stars..." part.  Plus the riff is pretty strong.  I won't argue on "If Eternity Should Fail"; it's a better lyric (in my opinion) and it's a bit more interesting as a song (proggier, if you will). 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2019, 05:24:48 AM »

#22 Speaking to Stones- Wind, 2012

A prog metal powerhouse concept album, centering around a vast spiritual journey told through the union of the elements. Wind is intense, blistering, and relentless, a straight up musical E-ticket ride....

https://youtu.be/PV87ZJTKpHI

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2019, 06:15:02 AM »
^ Excellent choice.  Love me Anders Engberg's voice.  Spinning this exact track right this moment.

Subsignal / Feeding Utopia

Speaking of voices I love, Arno Menses is a gem of a progressive rock/metal singer.  Smooth as silk.  Great lyrics, fabulous melody in the chorus... just gives me goosebumps all over.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 06:27:12 AM by jingle.boy »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2019, 06:19:33 AM »
Never go wrong with Subsignal.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2019, 07:08:37 AM »
More controversy, I'm sure:

No. 22:  Shout Mercy, by Kiss (from Monster)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2019, 10:32:35 AM »

Why controversy?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

Why controversy?

Most people here don't embrace my love of Kiss, and even those that do aren't always enamored with the last two albums with the "imposters".   

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2019, 12:05:10 PM »
I'm really enjoying the lists so far, hearing a lot of new stuff. I gotta update my list tonight

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »

Speaking of voices I love, Arno Menses is a gem of a progressive rock/metal singer.  Smooth as silk.  Great lyrics, fabulous melody in the chorus... just gives me goosebumps all over.
A stunning tune, from their best album. Arno is really fantastic, works well in all genres I've heard him in.

Nature | Existence / Rude Awakening

This song means so much to me, and got a lot of playtime during my challenges with depression for a good part of the decade.
Not enough people know this album. They were talking about a followup, I haven't checked up on them for a while.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2019, 02:17:14 PM »

A stunning tune, from their best album. Arno is really fantastic, works well in all genres I've heard him in.

Nature | Existence / Rude Awakening

This song means so much to me, and got a lot of playtime during my challenges with depression for a good part of the decade.
Not enough people know this album. They were talking about a followup, I haven't checked up on them for a while.
I've seen Subsignal live last year. They were good IMHO.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline krands85

« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2019, 03:42:08 PM »

A prog metal powerhouse concept album, centering around a vast spiritual journey told through the union of the elements. Wind is intense, blistering, and relentless, a straight up musical E-ticket ride....

Speaking To Stones - Wind

This was pretty cool  :tup

I've been concentrating on a "favourite album each year of the 2000s" thread on another forum, so I'll post my top songs list here later in the month I think.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »
They don't venture so much outside Germany, I'll have to make an excursion at some point before they put the band to rest. A really dependable band, you can always count on them to put out something interesting.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2019, 04:44:49 PM »
They don't venture so much outside Germany, I'll have to make an excursion at some point before they put the band to rest. A really dependable band, you can always count on them to put out something interesting.

They put on a really good set at PPUSA.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2019, 04:48:57 PM »
I'm almost ready to start my list! ;D

https://youtu.be/PV87ZJTKpHI

Yeah, this is a great album. I just pulled it out a few months ago. I was going to try and work in into a roulette EP at some point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2019, 06:52:55 PM »
OK, I'll catch up over the next few days but I'll join the party!

31. Van Halen-Honeybabysweetiedoll-2012

From the surprising good A Different Kind Of Truth. When I read this song title, I must admit I figured this would suck. Ends up being the ass kicker of the album.

30. Mask Of Prospero-This Road Leads To Desolation-2018

From their 2018 album The Observatory. Interesting album that I Saved on Spotify. It ends with this spectacularly depressing song. I had to abruptly pull a key song (which will be on this list) from my Puppies concept album and replaced it with this, and it didn't really lose anything.

29. Armored Saint-Up Yours-2015

From 2015's excellent Win Hands Down. This is a cool and fun song that closes the album. Great lyrics in the verses.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
Some catchup time:

25. Seven Lions - Tyven - If there was a progressive rock of EDM it'd be Seven Lions. He is unique in the sense that unlike other EDM artists he really takes his music to other places then just a standard track. I think there are some great songs on the EP that this song is on but this one is tops and is one of my most listened to tracks the past decade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOq2qCIecug

24. Bassnecter - Ephemeral - Another EDM track (shit I really went through an EDM phase for a while :lol) but this one is a little different from Seven Lions. I'm not a fan of everything by Bassnecter but this one of my favorite downtempo tracks out there. Perfect driving music IMO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZVi_Vi6g4

23. Acoustic Labs - Seven Stars - Radical change from the previous tracks we move onto Acoustic Labs. I only discovered Acoustic Labs this year but he has quickly gone up the ranks to one of my favorite musicians of all time. He puts out a ton of music spanning varying genre's but him performing solo acoustic tracks is where he really shines. What I love most about this song is the haunting quality of it. It's played on a 12-string in alternate tuning and the timbre of the guitar separates it out from a lot of other acoustic music I listen to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2h5qK70Gs8

22. Akord - Ethereality - Out of all the songs I've posted and will post I think this song probably stands to be the most popular on the forum. I love this track, the musicianship is great and there are some really nice proggy elements put together in this small package called Ehtereality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1DbVzBINM

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »

Why controversy?

Most people here don't embrace my love of Kiss, and even those that do aren't always enamored with the last two albums with the "imposters".

Eh....I'm sure they can feel free to fuck off.