Author Topic: Favorite songs of the decade  (Read 16994 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Favorite songs of the decade
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2019, 10:17:54 AM »
Where are Taylor Swift?  Harry Styles?  Rival Sons? 

By all means... contribute!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2019, 10:20:04 AM »

By all means... contribute!

I might; I'm just busting balls though, plus I needed an opportunity for the joke I fell in love with. :)

I actually find this interesting, and I'm listening to some of the songs.  It's fun.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Okay, so songs are always hard for me, but I think I can do this...

31.  Rival Sons - Feral Roots
30.  Taylor Swift - Wildest Dreams (in my mind, an almost perfect pop song)
29.  Van Halen - Blood And Fire (that interlude: "Say you missed me... say it like you mean it!" then Ed rips off this wicked solo...)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2019, 09:25:10 AM »

#28 Prospekt- Titan, 2017

One of the many tracks on the list here for the sheer amount of playtime it received. Straight up, in your face prog metal.

Brilliant stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHEdhU35Mw

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2019, 10:18:04 AM »

#28 Prospekt- Titan, 2017

One of the many tracks on the list here for the sheer amount of playtime it received. Straight up, in your face prog metal.

Brilliant stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuHEdhU35Mw

Straight up, kick's fucking ass album.  It will JUST miss my Top 15 of the decade list (probably #16 or #17... really debated on whether to include it or not).  So far, 3/4 are ones you've introduced me to.  The o/u is coming up pretty quick!

As for mine today...

Pretty Maids / Pandemonium

Live version kicks ass, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbD-ODYQ0f0.  So much energy, and while Ronnie's voice might not be for everyone, I dig the fuck out of it.  My favorite thing related to this song was sending it (and the Obama samples) to Stads in his roulette.  It's not terribly deep lyrically, but it all just comes together for my tastes.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2019, 02:03:48 PM »
28. A Simple Game Of Genius - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

A digital-only bonus track, it's easily my favorite Noel solo song, and maybe my favorite of anything he's been involved with.   No surprises, nothing out of the ordinary, just good songwriting, good playing. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
28. A Simple Game Of Genius - Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds

A digital-only bonus track, it's easily my favorite Noel solo song, and maybe my favorite of anything he's been involved with.   No surprises, nothing out of the ordinary, just good songwriting, good playing.

I'll add this to my queue... right after your Concept album finishes up.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2019, 11:01:18 PM »
Gonna do this one now since I'm working hella early tomorrow...

#28 The Omega Experiment- Stimulus, 2013

This album, and specifically this song and one other, floored me for a good few months.Unique and grand in sound and scope, and deeply personal in meaning. The story of addiction and recovery contained within touched me deep, with some parts of the album still able to move me to tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boLKGe0ojC4

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »
Mine for the day:

27:  Bury Me In Willow - Asia  (From "XXX")

A close second was "I Would Die For You" from the following album, "Gravitas"; both are songs that I think betray John Wetton's impending mortality.  Asia for me doesn't exist without John Wetton, and his death was one of the few "celebrity" deaths that really shook me.   I thought this before he passed, but it's more stark after: I think he's got a crown full of hidden gems in the latter day Asia catalogue.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:33:36 PM by Stadler »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2019, 12:09:55 PM »

This album, and specifically this song and one other, floored me for a good few months.Unique and grand in sound and scope, and deeply personal in meaning. The story of addiction and recovery contained within touched me deep, with some parts of the album still able to move me to tears.

Very Devin Townsend-like. I'll post mine when at my computer (on my iPad atm)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »

Very Devin Townsend-like. I'll post mine when at my computer (on my iPad atm)

Funny you say that, Devy actually gave him a huge boost of support via Twitter and FB when the album came out, the man himself loved it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »

Every band here sounds like the younger brother in Game Of Thrones that has no real speaking lines, but their death causes a war that lasts a half a season.   "Arathaniel was murdered in his sleep; bend the knee, for we must march at dawn!"
:lol

Just for Stads, here is my top 10 T Swift songs of the decade:

10. Holy Ground (BBC Live Lounge)
9. Welcome To New York (live @ Amazon Prime Concert)
8. State Of Grace
7. Cornelia Street
6. Cruel Summer
5. Blank Space (live at the Grammy Museum, the best Taylor Swift performance of the decade)
4. Death By A Thousand Cuts (live at the Tiny Desk)
3. Delicate (live from Chicago)
2. Lover (BBC Live Lounge)
1. New Year's Day (the Jimmy Fallon show)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2019, 04:29:30 PM »
Ok, moving on to 2011... and the song from the #1 album of the decade

Flaming Row / Unearth the Truth.

I don't have enough superlatives for this album and how much I've drool over it (figuratively).  So many songs/moments still give me goosebumps to this day.  With this track - the second song from the end (minus a little interlude track), the opening riff is one of my most favorite of all time, and just so rich, warm, and ... I don't even know the right word to describe it.  This is the song in the concept that brings multiple points of the story together, and I still haven't 'solved' what it's really all about.

Thanks to Nick, who's review of it almost a decade ago motivated me to make a blind purchase - directly from the band's website as that was the only way to get it.  I spent almost $40USD for a single album, and it was worth every penny.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »
And I still need to check them out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2019, 04:48:36 PM »
And I still need to check them out.

You been saying that for what... 7, 8 years!?!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2019, 07:24:13 PM »

Every band here sounds like the younger brother in Game Of Thrones that has no real speaking lines, but their death causes a war that lasts a half a season.   "Arathaniel was murdered in his sleep; bend the knee, for we must march at dawn!"

8. State Of Grace
7. Cornelia Street
6. Cruel Summer
5. Blank Space (live at the Grammy Museum, the best Taylor Swift performance of the decade)

That's a pretty good list.  I know about a third of them (I know all the songs, but I mean the performances).  I have some watching to do!   :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2019, 07:25:51 PM »

I've never heard this band, but I checked out that song on YT and it sounded pretty good. That kind of prog metal, that almost approaches power metal, is not really my thing, but I will admit that that song was good enough to get my attention.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »
Alright so I am joining in now one thing for certain is I don't expect any fans of this list, it's absolutely all over the place. I loosely put this list together so the order isn't exactly how I like it but these were the first songs that really popped out at me. One thing I realized is how terrible I am determining what decade some songs came out in.

31. Grails - Future Primitive - One of the more unique post-rock bands that I've found over the years. They have a knack for creating really interesting soundscapes and their sound is really great on this track and album. There work can be a little too busy but this song is one of their highlights. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1lE90gT37U

30. Midland - Drinkin' Problem - I'm not a country fan at all but I don't know what it is about this song that really struck, I was listening to it endlessly for weeks after I heard it. It's simple, it's polished, and best of all it's catchy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f6gm6Q1FBM

29. Mr. FijiWifji - Apathy ft. Coma - It's been a few years since I've listened to this track but I spun it almost non-stop when it first came out. This was one of the first songs that really got me to explore EDM music. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qstMjEH5pk

28. Dream Theater - At Wit's End - I love this song. It's easily one of my favorite DT tracks and my favorite of theirs from the past decade. The DT chat side has spoken about this song at length and there isn't much else I can add.

27. Pegboard Nerds - Here It Comes - This is from the height of my EDM days. This song is really high energy and listening to it made me want to bust out the glowsticks and pull a back muscle jumping around. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEL-HdWvLpM

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2019, 10:21:28 PM »

I don't have enough superlatives for this album and how much I've drool over it (figuratively).  So many songs/moments still give me goosebumps to this day.  With this track - the second song from the end (minus a little interlude track), the opening riff is one of my most favorite of all time, and just so rich, warm, and ... I don't even know the right word to describe it.  This is the song in the concept that brings multiple points of the story together, and I still haven't 'solved' what it's really all about.

Thanks to Nick, who's review of it almost a decade ago motivated me to make a blind purchase - directly from the band's website as that was the only way to get it.  I spent almost $40USD for a single album, and it was worth every penny.

I honestly didn't expect to see them this soon in your list...I got them much, much higher...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2019, 05:34:04 AM »
Songs of the Decade

#26 MindMaze- Fight the Future, 2017

The third release from this metal outfit out of Pennsylvania, this track delivers everything anyone would want out of a prog power song- thunderous riffs, soaring vocals, and quite possible the most furious instrumental segment on the list. A cup of coffee ain't got shit on this tracks blistering waking up ability...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzM7khEsnE

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2019, 05:39:22 AM »

I honestly didn't expect to see them this soon in your list...I got them much, much higher...

For these two reasons ....

Not sure I'm gonna bother to stack rank them, just fire of 31 of my fave's - because frankly, to chose the "top" 31 would be nearly impossible - all were likely #1 at some point in my listening routine.

I'm going to impose a 1 song per band condition, to spread the wealth - otherwise Flaming Row, Star One, and Epysode would take up 1/2 the list.  Personally, I'm also going to exclude the songs that I just fired off from my Top Roulette Songs thread..

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2019, 06:32:55 AM »
Songs of the Decade

#26 MindMaze- Fight the Future, 2017

The third release from this metal outfit out of Pennsylvania, this track delivers everything anyone would want out of a prog power song- thunderous riffs, soaring vocals, and quite possible the most furious instrumental segment on the list. A cup of coffee ain't got shit on this tracks blistering waking up ability...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orzM7khEsnE

Excellent - EXCELLENT - choice.  I didn't put anything from Reverie EDIT: Resolve (duh... Reverie is the opening track) on here because it's just a great concept album start to finish.

Nature | Existence / Rude Awakening

This song means so much to me, and got a lot of playtime during my challenges with depression for a good part of the decade.

"We got a problem, you and I"
He said to the mirror
[...]
I got a new friend, "Myself" is his name
Without his help things will just be the same

Slow buildup to a mountainous crash of a chorus and then a nice meandering rollercoaster ride.  Sometimes it seemed the structure of the song fit my life to a tee.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 09:54:47 AM by jingle.boy »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2019, 07:52:27 AM »
Hey Chad, that's a really good song.  I only listened on my computer, so the sound isn't great, but I loved how it sounded like the keyboards were swirling around beneath the vocal.  I might check the rest of that out (the next song on YouTube was called "Leaf Motif"; I'm now curious if that's a play on "leitmotif", but I'll have to listen to the album to find that out, no? :):)). 

My next one:
No. 26 Sign Of The Times - Harry Styles

Please read the post I put in Tim's roulette (repeated in the "new music" thread) about discovering music; I mention this song a lot, and it's not something I sought out.  My daughter is a huge Harry Styles fan, and so I got to hear it more than most songs, but then I got a chance (was forced) to watch him on Saturday Night Live sing it live and then got to see him sing it to a full Madison Square Garden crowd, and it really hit home.  During that MSG show - it's a 20,000 seat arena - the place was literally shaking. I could feel the mezzanine I was in moving.   Unbelievably powerful, and given that the song does have meaning (he wrote it to his mom), it's a song that has stuck with me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:10:47 AM by Stadler »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2019, 08:05:32 AM »
I'm actually a pretty big fan of Sign of the Times. Good pick!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2019, 09:56:26 AM »
Hey Chad, that's a really good song.  I only listened on my computer, so the sound isn't great, but I loved how it sounded like the keyboards were swirling around beneath the vocal.

Um... dude... i gave that song to you in your roulette (as part of my losing submission to Tim).   :\

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2019, 10:08:02 AM »
Hey Chad, that's a really good song.  I only listened on my computer, so the sound isn't great, but I loved how it sounded like the keyboards were swirling around beneath the vocal.

Um... dude... i gave that song to you in your roulette (as part of my losing submission to Tim).   :\

Don't take offense to that at all.   It's hard to always connect on an immediate basis, especially when in a soup with a bunch of other songs.   Did you see my post in the "finding music" thread?  I can basically recite you the credits from AC/DC High Voltage, but I'm not sure I can sing every song from A Different Kind Of Truth, my album of the DECADE.  It takes me a while to sink in with this stuff. 

It's still a good song.  :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2019, 10:26:06 AM »
I hear you man.  I can rhyme off the entire Led Zeppeling song-ography in order, but wouldn't be able to match song-title to bands for most things nowadays.  I listen to - and LOVE - a lot of music... but don't *know* my music like I used to in my teens and 20s.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2019, 10:41:14 AM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2019, 10:52:55 AM »
I'm thinking about this now. I think I've done three roulettes.   Right now, off the top of my head, I can probably name you five songs that have really resonated, and three of those would be "that song by... uh, the guy who I think used to sing for Helloween.  Crisco.  Costo.  Kiske.  That was awesome."   

The ones I can name outright:  Ben Folds Five, "Battle Of Who Could Care Less", Nightwish "Ghost Love Score", and Devin "Deep Peace".  I can't remember the Kiske tune ("Do You Remember?"  It had "Do" and "Remember" and a "?").   GREAT song.   That's not to say there weren't other great, great songs.  I got a song by Evergrey that, according to Katt, "slaps".  I got an Ayreon song that made me go out and buy "The Source", which rules; I don't remember the song I got, just that it was so good I overlooked the over-rated Russell Wilson singing on it (I'm kidding; it was Russell Allen).  I got a Star One song that I'm going to buy the album once I pull the trigger on the deluxe version; I can't remember the song title, but it was the "A Clockwork Orange" song.  That's not to say that even more bands didn't resonate.   I loved the Night Flight Orchestra songs I got, but I'd be hard pressed to name the tunes without looking it up. Moon Safari same thing. 

I would hope that no one takes offense to this; it's not personal, and you didn't waste your time at all.  I may, at some point, go back and revisit my roulettes; that wouldn't be a chore at all.   It all gets assimilated at some point, it just takes time. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2019, 11:48:32 AM »
Michael Crisco  :rollin omg

This is one of my favorite songs of the decade, from 2016... now I'm definitely very biased on this band and probably the only fan on this forum, HOWEVER, I get a Fleetwood Mac vibe from this song. And some other artists I can't quite pinpoint. But boy do I love it. "Wild" by Kings of Leon. So damn good. Stadler, I think you'd like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ch5I-1B9u0

Also, I love that I got Stadler to use 'slaps.' Awesome.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »
Well, I gave you Rainbow Bridge in round 1 of your 1st roulette, so I'll take Ayreon credit (though, that doesn't have Allen singing on it).  I also gave you Nightwish Beauty of the Beast - which tanked, so I'm mildly surprised that GLS took you from 6 to 9 - figuratively (:eyebrows:) and literally (the scores they got).  And I gave you Moon Safari (which only scored 8).

That said, you're welcome.   :biggrin:

P.S. Star One song would be Victims of the Modern Age

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »

8. State Of Grace
7. Cornelia Street
6. Cruel Summer
i'm not familiar with all of these but this is a real good list regardless

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2019, 02:34:29 PM »
Well, I gave you Rainbow Bridge in round 1 of your 1st roulette, so I'll take Ayreon credit (though, that doesn't have Allen singing on it).  I also gave you Nightwish Beauty of the Beast - which tanked, so I'm mildly surprised that GLS took you from 6 to 9 - figuratively (:eyebrows:) and literally (the scores they got).  And I gave you Moon Safari (which only scored 8).

That said, you're welcome.   :biggrin:

P.S. Star One song would be Victims of the Modern Age

Yes, indeed with the Star One song.  Are you sure about that Ayreon song?  I thought it was one of the ones with LaBrie on it (The Human Equation, not The Source, but I just wrote a post saying I don't remember shit, so don't ask me).   I just listened to it and it's not familiar; I don't know what it scored, but I really dug it.  It's really good.   I love the "chorus" (not really a chorus, just the part he sings "beyond the Rainbow Bridge!") and the "Run, run!" parts. Way cool.   

Nightwish:  The difference for me is the vocals.  Tarja has a quality to her voice that's a little... twee is the only word I can use (when she sings "lost is there!" is an example).   Floor seems to have a more powerful voice, to me.   

You are welcome; you by and large send good stuff, even if it doesn't always resonate in the moment. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2019, 07:09:53 PM »
26. Alina Baraz - Show Me - My coworker put me on to this track a while ago and I feel in love. There is a certain intoxicating quality to Alina's voice a perfect track to make a drink and relax to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4_z6VAC16I