Author Topic: Favorite songs of the decade  (Read 17098 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Favorite songs of the decade
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
OK, catching up. Three today, two tomorrow, and then I'll be at one per day...

22. Lor-Eidolon-2017

One of my favorite albums from 2017, Lor's In Forgotten Sleep. Philly band that combines folk, power, and prog.

21. Thoughts Factory-The Mire-2014

Great album that Lonestar was pimping. The album is fantastic, and this is my favorite song from it.

20. Illyria-Autumn Fades Away-2019

A 2019 album Illyria's The Carpathian Summit. It's Black Metal, but it breathes really nicely. This song is mostly cleans, but the harshies towards the end totally make it, and the guitar harmonies are great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2019, 05:13:52 PM »
I'll give those a spin tomorrow!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
20. Run The Jewels - Down - The only hip hop track on my list. I'm not a big rap or hip hop fan but out of boredom I checked out Run The Jewels 3 after hearing Killer Mike on Joe Rogan's podcast and I enjoyed the record. This song is the album opener and it's catchy, melodic, and has some great rhymes that remind me of some of the earlier outkast stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saR7SYa6nAs

19. Kaki King - Skimming The Fractured Surface To A Place Of Endless Light - Chances are if Kaki King is releasing an album it's going to make my top songs of the decade list, the best part is she released her best album in this past decade. This song comes from her Glow album which is easily the best work she has done. Kaki King is a huge inspiration to me and I adore her music but I will aalso dmit there is a certain noodling quality to some songs on each record but that's not the case for Glow. Each song seems focused, crafted, and well thought out. This song in particular is the slowest piece on the album. It takes it's time and doesn't really go anywhere but that's the beauty of it. There aren't a million notes flying at you, it's a song you can close your eyes and get lost in.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS2jatz18Gg

Offline Lethean

« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2019, 06:43:07 PM »
Also playing catch up here, so here's 4 more.

#27 - Vanden Plas - Holes in the Sky
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdy2uk-GqFM

I know a lot people who were once fans have lost interest in Vanden Plas, and while I kind of get it, that hasn't really happened with me.  Maybe part of the reason is that I just love their singer's voice, and that goes a long way.  And I think they also just write good songs.  This is one of them.

#26 - Evergrey - The Grand Collapse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BK0G74RcIBM

From the album that really got me back on board the Evergrey train.  I don't think any of their albums are bad, but Monday Morning Apocalypse was kind of meh for me, especially after the great Inner Circle.  Torn and Glorious Collision were actually pretty good, but...  Maybe it was me and I had just lost interest for a few years, but this album, and this song, helped bring it all back for me.  The last 3 albums have all been on point.

#25 - Wolverine - Into the Great  Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eOOjW3T1l0

Maybe this isn't the best introduction to Wolverine for those who aren't familiar, but this is the song I've played the most from that album, and it's pretty awesome.  Great vocals, but maybe they're inconspicuous at first; it kind of sneaks up on you.

#24 Caligula's Horse - Graves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PSjuLMffV0

This is a ProgPower discovery; I'd seen the name on and off but didn't check them out until they were announced for PP.  I highly highly recommend the whole In Contact album.  It's sooo good.  But this song is just amazing.  This song pretty much has it all.   Their live performance of it this year was awesome too.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #144 on: December 14, 2019, 04:46:48 AM »
Damian  :heart

Hell be on my list a little later...

Yeah, just not with Threshold tho.  I still fucking love you.   :lol

@ Lethean... duly noted; and nice set of pics there - Love me VP (though, I personally have songs from Netherworld albums on my Top 50... they didn't make the cut here); Evergrey... :drool:  You'll be seeing another song from Hymns shortly, but this is a great track.  Top 10 album from the decade; Wolverine...I've tried many times to get in to them.  Something just seems a tad amiss.  Caligula's .... ditto, but everything is a miss.  That Soen wasn't horrible.

@ Tim... Lor, I think I tried them because of you?  I'll have to respin this one (Edit ... yeah, no).  Thoughts Factory - that album is dope.  I pre-ordered their upcoming release last week.  Illyria... doesn't sound like my bag.

@ Kay... sorry dude, our tastes aren't in sync.  Not sure how many I'll listen to, but I love the diversity - something I have very little of when it comes to my music.

No, he's right. Damian is Hell.

Jon... would love to see your songs.  Chime in dude.

And this morning's entry... moving on to 2013

Magnus Karlsson's FreeFall / Not My Saviour (YouTube / Spotify)

My favorite song from my favorite album of the year.  Killer opening riff, Rick Altzi just hammering out the lyrics, and some HEAVY fucking drum work.  This is everything that I love about MK's music and songwriting.  If I had been stack ranking this list, it would be #1 (my top Roulette songs not included - Obsessions would still top the list otherwise).
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 04:53:39 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2019, 06:26:22 AM »
Damian  :heart

Hell be on my list a little later...

@ Kay... sorry dude, our tastes aren't in sync.  Not sure how many I'll listen to, but I love the diversity - something I have very little of when it comes to my music.

:lol no worries, I'm pretty sure if a poll was taken I'd be voted with the most unpopular music tastes. Don't feel like you have to listen to it, I appreciate you giving it a try.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2019, 09:03:19 AM »
Figured Magnus would be appearing on your list...solid work for sure.

and I know you dig this one...

#18 Sun Caged- Ashtamangala, 2011

The second longest piece on the list, clocking in at over 24 minutes, this suite of tracks sears and soars everywhere, but consistently delivers. Brilliant instrumental work fronted by amazing vocals, a true work of art here that probably saw as much play time in my car as anything else on the list...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jMwUGMe9Jg&t=17s

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2019, 10:24:44 AM »
Ima gonna have to re-spin this one. For some reason, Sun Caged fell out of favour with me a few years back. I forget off the top of my head who gave them to me in Roulette v2, but I was really taken with them at the time. Haven't gone to them much in recent years.  I'll report back on this tomorrow.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #148 on: December 14, 2019, 11:10:37 AM »
It might’ve been me.  They’ve never had staying power with me either.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #149 on: December 14, 2019, 06:37:52 PM »
19. Odd Dimension-2013

Odd Dimension is an Italian band and this song comes from their second album, 2013's Last Embrace For Humanity. I actually love this album. Unfortunately, they've never been heard from since. I love this song, which goes a lot of different ways. The outro is spectacular.

18. Judas Priest-Traitors G ate-2018

Form the really strong Firepower, this song was always my favorite. Total ass kicker!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: December 14, 2019, 10:00:47 PM »
I will have to revisit................The Lotus Effect is quite literally one of the lowest rated albums I own.  Cannot remember much except being really disappointed vs what I was expecting (given the positive reviews).  Must just be one of those bands that don't click with me.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2019, 11:55:32 PM »
For each his own I guess...  :dunno:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: December 15, 2019, 02:55:29 AM »
Well, you gave me Amongst Stars in my roulette, and it slayed.  I guess I'll have to give this one a spin.  Am I gonna need to cleanse my ears afterwards?  If so, then I'll do it with this:

lol wut?  I'll just leave this here;

wolfking: Amorphis* / Amongst Stars
This would be the Jesse “The Body” submission -  ‘win if you can; lose if you must, but always cheat’. I admire that  :tup.  Based on your writeup signalling Anneke’s participation in this one, I knew within the first 15 seconds which track was yours - no way not to know that voice, just with her opening moans.  There isn’t anything he’s lent her voice to that I don’t love - she instantly makes any song better, and it’s a good thing she’s here, because without her, this would would’ve fallen closer to the middle of the pack - Tomi’s voice on his own is in that mid-range that usually doesn’t do much for me… but in this case, it’s a great contrast with AVG.  Structure of the song was top notch too - and another case of tasteful and appropriate growls.
Ranking: 3

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: December 15, 2019, 02:57:02 AM »
Well it did slay apparently, so there's that
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2019, 03:11:30 AM »
I guess I should have a crack at this 31 fav song thing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2019, 07:45:23 AM »

Yes, I meant "slayed" in a positive way.  It got more enjoyable with repeated listens, and ended up being the 2nd best song of that entire roulette.

As for Ashtamangala, it was better than I remembered - very Ted Leonard-esque vibe to the vocals.  @ Tim... it was indeed you that gave me Ashes to Earn.  Also, Odd Dimension is ... odd to me.  I should like them more than I do, but (like Sun Caged) maybe they just don't click for me.

My entry for today...

Vandroya / Why Should We Say Goodbye

This is the 2nd and final 2013 entry... the fewest songs represented here (other than 2019).  I love me my power ballads, and this is a gem.  Plus, Daisa Munhoz.  And a GREAT video to accompany it.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Yeah, this is a good song.

I'm starting to check out my roulette albums tomorrow, this album will definitely make the cut. Curious if it's as good as this song.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2019, 09:07:00 AM »
Vandroya  :heart

Daisa :hearts:

Ok, here's today's....

#17 Dream Theater- Breaking All Illusions, 2011

Another of my favorite bands, and while a good deal of their material is somewhat forgettable this decade, there were some shining stars, and this brilliant track shined brightest, bright enough to become a hands down live favorite of mine, as well as one I constantly turn to for a quick uplift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZlYCvamxKM

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2019, 12:07:41 PM »

Yes, I meant "slayed" in a positive way.  It got more enjoyable with repeated listens, and ended up being the 2nd best song of that entire roulette.

Eerrrrr........huh???

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2019, 02:09:24 PM »
17. Fates Warning-The Light And Shade Of Things-2016

Great song. Great album. Ray sounds 25 years younger.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »

Simply amazing song.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2019, 03:58:30 PM »

#25- Incura- Disable Everything, 2017

Discovered through That Drummer Guy's year end list, the first of a few artists I found there, this group from up north is ridiculously skilled, and about as catchy as anything out there. The lead singer's intense, dramatic style brings brilliant color to all their tracks, and the band backs it with a hard hitting yet almost poppy edge. Very unique, and one that saw a good deal of my attention over the years.

https://incura.bandcamp.com/track/disable-everything

Damn, this is really interesting. never heard them before. Not sure how I feel about the singer. :lol

#20 Destrage - Destroy, Create, Transform, Sublimated, 2014

Another one culled from That Drummer Guy year end list, this song is nothing short of liquid fiery. It comes out of the gates hitting hard, and never, ever relents, with bass drops that'd put any and all others to shame. Just a fucking sick tune...

https://youtu.be/CosqKDW39NU

This was the first song in the first round of my first roulette. I really liked this song and found it kind of addicting. But I checked this album out and um...nothankyou.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2019, 04:56:02 PM »

Simply amazing song.

Without a doubt... it'll be showing up again when I get to my 2016 grouping of songs.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2019, 05:10:31 PM »

#25- Incura- Disable Everything, 2017

Discovered through That Drummer Guy's year end list, the first of a few artists I found there, this group from up north is ridiculously skilled, and about as catchy as anything out there. The lead singer's intense, dramatic style brings brilliant color to all their tracks, and the band backs it with a hard hitting yet almost poppy edge. Very unique, and one that saw a good deal of my attention over the years.

https://incura.bandcamp.com/track/disable-everything

Damn, this is really interesting. never heard them before. Not sure how I feel about the singer. :lol

Yeah, Kyle is very theatrical, so much so that he's currently doing the lead in the touring production of the We Will Rock You musical. He's fucking dripping with talent.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2019, 08:01:00 PM »

@ Lethean... duly noted; and nice set of pics there - Love me VP (though, I personally have songs from Netherworld albums on my Top 50... they didn't make the cut here); Evergrey... :drool:  You'll be seeing another song from Hymns shortly, but this is a great track.  Top 10 album from the decade; Wolverine...I've tried many times to get in to them.  Something just seems a tad amiss.  Caligula's .... ditto, but everything is a miss.  That Soen wasn't horrible.
:metal Looking forward to your Evergrey pick. :)  Wolverine did really well in your roulette, so maybe you just need to listen to one song at a time. :)

@ Tim... Lor, I think I tried them because of you?  I'll have to respin this one (Edit ... yeah, no).  Thoughts Factory - that album is dope.  I pre-ordered their upcoming release last week.  Illyria... doesn't sound like my bag.

I saw Lor live once - they were really good. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2019, 08:08:51 PM »

Oh wow! Their album is terrific.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2019, 08:27:58 PM »
Skipping a day doesn't help when you're trying to catch up.  :P

#23 - James LaBrie - Coming Home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VkbQLTgkgI

I'm not sure if I played this so song much because of how good it is, or because it was one of the few tracks without harsh vocals. :P  Sometimes I'm OK with harsh vocals, but not in the case of JLB's solo albums.  Nonetheless, this is a beautiful ballad.

#22 - Agent Fresco - See Hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgArsBIbiFg

Another roulette song - I think the last one on my list.  I remember asking everyone to get their submissions in if they wanted their song to be cranked in the car (was leaving for vacation and all of my listening after the drive was on headphones), and I got Elite's probably within 15 minutes of when I was leaving.  He said his song deserved to be played in the car.  And it totally did. :)

#21 - Rush - The Garden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wztuqskio8

This one should totally be higher - I think I lost some plays on the album and I also actually listened to the cd.  But in any case, this is a totally beautiful song and even though if Rush said they were putting out a new song tomorrow and it wasn't as good as this one, I'd be totally happy anyway.... I guess if there has to be a last Rush song, this is a great one indeed.

#20 - Cynthesis - The Edifice Grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O33ag72iXvo
I think I might be the only person who actually likes this album (DeEvolution).  Anyone else?  It's essentially Zero Hour with a different drummer, with music that's a bit less out there.  I think the album is really best listened to as a whole.  Great music, great playing, and really powerful vocals.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2019, 08:29:43 PM »

Oh wow! Their album is terrific.

I'll have to give it a listen some time.  I was definitely not expecting the local opening band to put on such a great show.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2019, 06:50:21 AM »
Catching up on the weekend...

No. 18:  Above and Beyond, Deep Purple  (From their "Now What!?" album, and a moving and fitting tribute to their lost partner, Jon Lord.  Ian Gillan goes, well, above and beyond with this one.  It's a standout track on an album that is, amazingly, full of standout tracks.  This competed with "A Simple Song", "Uncommon Man", "Apres Vous", and "All The Time In The World" for this spot.  The last GREAT Purple album so far.)

No. 17: Better Than Walking Away, Flying Colors  (Is it the best Flying Colors song?  I don't know; Kayla, The Storm, about half of Second Nature, and about half of the new one would argue.  But it's certainly the most lingering, and it still stirs emotions in me.  Casey's voice is, for me, an acquired taste, and its on  songs like these where I acquired it.)

No. 16: Waiting For A Sign, Rainbow (This is a sentimental pick.  Not a great song - it's really a re-write of "Temple Of The King" - but it's a sign that the fire isn't out with Ritchie.  I don't expect any more hard rock music from him, but this is a nice tidbit, and for me a better coda than "Stranger In Us All", which left me cold.)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2019, 06:56:12 AM »
No. 18:  Above and Beyond, Deep Purple  (From their "Now What!?" album, and a moving and fitting tribute to their lost partner, Jon Lord.  Ian Gillan goes, well, above and beyond with this one.  It's a standout track on an album that is, amazingly, full of standout tracks.  This competed with "A Simple Song", "Uncommon Man", "Apres Vous", and "All The Time In The World" for this spot.  The last GREAT Purple album so far.)

Might have to revisit that one, I heard that record once or twice and nothing stood out to me.

No. 17: Better Than Walking Away, Flying Colors  (Is it the best Flying Colors song?  I don't know; Kayla, The Storm, about half of Second Nature, and about half of the new one would argue.  But it's certainly the most lingering, and it still stirs emotions in me.  Casey's voice is, for me, an acquired taste, and its on  songs like these where I acquired it.)

Beautiful ballad, maybe one of the best ballads in the last decade or so, imo.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2019, 07:05:39 AM »
Catching up on the weekend...

No. 16: Waiting For A Sign, Rainbow (This is a sentimental pick.  Not a great song - it's really a re-write of "Temple Of The King" - but it's a sign that the fire isn't out with Ritchie.  I don't expect any more hard rock music from him, but this is a nice tidbit, and for me a better coda than "Stranger In Us All", which left me cold.)
I love everything by Purple, so I don't know if Now What is their last great album (infinite is great too IMHO, like everything they did IMHO), but such a fitting tribute to Jon (and this one does stand out to me too)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2019, 07:53:43 AM »
Seems I got some catching up myself to do. Will listen later, and report back tonight/tomorrow @ Lethean... the Garden JUST missed the top 31, but definitely in the top 50 conversation.  It is indeed a fitting song for the band to go out with.  I couldn't think of it ending a better way.

Today's jingle.entry....

Evergrey / Hymns for the Broken

I could probably put any of 4 or 5 songs from this album on here, it's a top 10 Album of the Decade for me (#10 to be precise).  I'm not sure if I prefer the regular cut, or Hymns for the Brpken - the latter is just so chilling when stripped down.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2019, 08:03:18 AM »
And once again a band (and a song) that I should give another try.

Everygrey was always hyped here and back then from my bandmates. I bought "In Search Of Truth" back then when it came out and listened to it a lot, hoping it would grow on me, and when I hear it, it is okay, but as soon as it's over, I can't remember a single melody. But on paper they should be right up my alley. :shrug:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »
I keep trying Evergrey and they just keep coming up short.

#16 Mystery- Pride, 2012

While the whole album shone, this emotional track was brightest. Gutting and emotional, it took me a while to be able to listen to it without choking up. Just a great, great tune...

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2019, 08:55:06 AM »
#16 Mystery- Pride, 2012

While the whole album shone, this emotional track was brightest. Gutting and emotional, it took me a while to be able to listen to it without choking up. Just a great, great tune...

This is the tune that made me into an uber-Mystery fan.  I chose to go with another song... stay tuned.  Can't remember if it was you or Doc that connected me to them, I think it was you.

At the end, I'd like us all to post our complete lists, so we can see them concisely grouped together.