Author Topic: Favorite songs of the decade  (Read 16990 times)

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: Favorite songs of the decade
« Reply #105 on: December 11, 2019, 03:43:24 AM »
So many good songs here and so many I don't know, but have to check out reading those descriptions. Carry on guys.  :metal
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #106 on: December 11, 2019, 04:35:49 AM »
So many good songs here and so many I don't know, but have to check out reading those descriptions. Carry on guys.  :metal

What you really need to do is host a roulette.   ;D ;)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: December 11, 2019, 04:43:22 AM »
And today's entry...

Triumph of Irreality / Beyond the Bridge

I don't remember who introduced this album to the forum (pretty sure it came from one of the Lady Obscure folks), but shortly after it came out, pretty much everyone around here was fawning all over it.  This is the 3rd track from a Top 5 album of the decade, and it is either 1a, or 1b as my favorite instrumental of the last 20 years.  Heavy, frantic, and a technical masterpiece - without sounding like unnecessary musical wanking (ie, Liquid Tension Experiment, or Haken  :lol).  It's perfectly placed within the context of a brilliant concept album, yet stands on its own just fine.  RJ will have a different track from this album appearing at some point - if not, I'll shart myself.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #108 on: December 11, 2019, 05:24:26 AM »

What you really need to do is host a roulette.   ;D ;)

When I retire from my job, or when the kids are out of the house, which may be around the same time, I will find the time to do one.  :D

And today's entry...

I don't remember who introduced this album to the forum (pretty sure it came from one of the Lady Obscure folks), but shortly after it came out, pretty much everyone around here was fawning all over it.  This is the 3rd track from a Top 5 album of the decade, and it is either 1a, or 1b as my favorite instrumental of the last 20 years.  Heavy, frantic, and a technical masterpiece - without sounding like unnecessary musical wanking (ie, Liquid Tension Experiment, or Haken  :lol).  It's perfectly placed within the context of a brilliant concept album, yet stands on its own just fine.  RJ will have a different track from this album appearing at some point - if not, I'll shart myself.

And although I'm not that wild about this record as some of you (but it's still great), this instrumental piece is one of the best things on there.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #109 on: December 11, 2019, 08:12:06 AM »
And today's entry...

Yeah, since my list is a bit more ranked by awesomeness, you guys will have to wait a bit for mine.

#21 Marillion- The Sky Above the Rain, 2014

Of course one of my favorite bands would make an appearance on this list, and it's with this stunningly beautiful and tragic track. Marillion are about as good as any band out there when it comes to pulling out a specific emotion, and laying it bare for all of us to feel again. With this one, it's that fine line between loving and being in love, and the faint glimmer of hope that colors it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVh0XNrcYI

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2019, 08:31:31 AM »
And today's entry...

Pretty game good track!

And today's entry...

Yeah, since my list is a bit more ranked by awesomeness, you guys will have to wait a bit for mine.

#21 Marillion- The Sky Above the Rain, 2014

Of course one of my favorite bands would make an appearance on this list, and it's with this stunningly beautiful and tragic track. Marillion are about as good as any band out there when it comes to pulling out a specific emotion, and laying it bare for all of us to feel again. With this one, it's that fine line between loving and being in love, and the faint glimmer of hope that colors it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myVh0XNrcYI

Man Marillion, ive tried so much to like them but I cannot get into the vocals.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2019, 08:52:15 AM »
Marillion is great, but maybe not that track/album.

My No. 21, another band that is great, but a track from an album that got a lukewarm reception:

Into The Storm - Yes

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2019, 09:23:18 AM »
Fly from here was tolerable... It was the next album that was a straight up parking lot of whale vomit.

Online Kwyjibo

« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2019, 10:03:42 AM »
Fly From Here is actually one of the better Yes records outside of their classic ones and that track is good.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2019, 10:41:00 AM »
Fly from here was tolerable... It was the next album that was a straight up parking lot of whale vomit.

Fair point. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2019, 02:58:22 PM »
28. Golden Resurrection-See My Commands-2010

The first of three albums by Golden Resurrection, this is basically Christian neoclassical styled heavy metal. This track has a Yngwie feel to it.

27. Riot V-Until We Meet Again-2014

Modern day version of Riot, with a strong 2014 album, Unleash The Fire. This song was written about Riot founder and guitarist Mark Reale, who passed away in 2012 at the age of 56 from complications of Chron's Disease. This isn't a soft mellow song, but it's quite moving.

26. Testament=Throne Of Thorns-2012

Modern day Testament kicks ass. From 2012's Dark Roots Of Earth, this track is a metal monster.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »
21. Gazpacho - Hell Freezes Over I - I was always seeing Gazpacho songs pop up on my Spotify discovery playlist and non of them really caught my ear until I heard "Hell Freezes Over". This song is like a cheat sheet for songs I will immediately love; atmospheric opening - check, repetitive melodic guitar line - check, killer drumming - check. It has it all. It's a shame I didn't really take to their other music but this song will always be one of my favorites. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6qu8lRnMBc

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: December 11, 2019, 07:30:41 PM »
I'll fire all four of those in the morning.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2019, 06:17:30 AM »

#20 Destrage - Destroy, Create, Transform, Sublimated, 2014

Another one culled from That Drummer Guy year end list, this song is nothing short of liquid fiery. It comes out of the gates hitting hard, and never, ever relents, with bass drops that'd put any and all others to shame. Just a fucking sick tune...

https://youtu.be/CosqKDW39NU

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »
Dimension Act / Drawing the Lines of Mortal Existence

I don't think the whole 30+ minute, 6-part suite is available outside of Spotify (and the track titles are incorrect), so if you have the chance, fire it up - starting with track 4.  You know an 'epic' is truly epic when it's length goes by without you even noticing it.  This does not feel like a 30 minute song.  Everything about it is pure prog-metal gold ... instrumentation, seamless transitions, reprises and recalls, fantastic vocal delivery - it's got it all.  Shame this act from Norway never did anything else.  This was a blind-buy from trl.net, and totally worth the $4 I spent on a Black Friday sale.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
A frustrating band for me that does not equal more than the sum of it's parts, and sometimes doesn't even equal the sum of it's parts, but the new album is really, really good.  I could have picked a couple tunes from it, but this is the first one that clicked and it's still clicking, so...

No. 20:  Dying Light - Alter Bridge

(By the way, anyone else notice a change in 'sound' about a minute or two into the song?  It gets sort of thin and tinny to my ears, even though the song is excellent.)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2019, 02:50:22 PM »
See My Commands - you gave that to me in a roulette.  Can't say I was all that taken by it.  Re-listen was nice.  That's about it.
Until We Meet Again - Nice little ballad.  Sweet guitar licks under the vocals.
Throne of Thorns - meh... Testament was never my thing
Hell Freezes Over I - not quite my kind of prog-metal.
Destroy, Create, Transform, Sublimated - Was pretty good... then the singing started.  It was really quite impressive how many different styles of singing they packed in here (in the first 90 seconds!) that I absolutely loathe.
Dying Light - Not shabby at all.  I always enjoy Alter Bridge tunes, but I can't say this perked my ears to take notice.  And no, I didn't notice the change in sound.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2019, 06:30:22 PM »
25. Structural Disorder-The Architect Of The Skies-2018

From 2018's ….and the Cage Crumbles in the Final Scene. This is a really neat album that I connected with. Lots of different styles. I used this song on my Indiscipline EP, and he said it reminded him of I Walk Beside You.

24. Motorhead-When The Sky Comes Looking For You-2015

From Motorhead's great final album, Bad Magic. Seemed fitting that this was the final original song of the album, which preceeded album closer Sympathy For The Devil. Great Motorhead sound reminiscent of the Pete Gill Orgasmatron Era. This is an amazing song.

23.  Witherfall-Vintage-2018

Incredible song. From about the 5:50 mark until the end, this song totally rules.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2019, 06:55:25 PM »

From Motorhead's great final album, Bad Magic. Seemed fitting that this was the final original song of the album, which preceeded album closer Sympathy For The Devil. Great Motorhead sound reminiscent of the Pete Gill Orgasmatron Era. This is an amazing song.

Is that a good album?  I love that version of Sympathy, and almost bought the record blind because of it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2019, 06:56:35 PM »

Is that a good album?  I love that version of Sympathy, and almost bought the record blind because of it.

Yes, that album is awesome! Check this song out!!!

Offline Lethean

« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46:27 PM »
OK, I got my list together and will follow jingle's rules of 1 song per band and 31 songs.  I pretty much used play count for this too (like I did for the top albums of the decade), which might not give me super accurate results about what I think is the "best."  I tend to listen to albums so if there's a great song on an album I'm not big on, it might not show up here.

#31 - Soen - Sectarian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6rf0AIxpY

I guess I listened to this album more than I realized.  It didn't make my favorite albums of the decade list, but it's a really nice listen and I enjoyed it a lot.  I have a good memory of this track being performed at ProgPower and the singer really starting to get into and smiling and the crowd responding in kind.

#30 - DGM - The Secret, Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZDoW0Dvd8

(Part 1 is great too).  DGM isn't really inventing the wheel but I just like their songs.  Singer is great live, and on the albums.  The songs seem to have a positive vibe to them.

#29 - Kamelot - The Great Pandemonium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Trjxuc6Q2c

Yes, I think Poetry for the Poisoned is a great album. :P  I'm not sure if this is my favorite track from the album, but it's a good one, so enjoy.

#28 - Semistereo - The Search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVzNxFt037Y

From my roulette. :)  I listened to this song a ton once the roulette was done and I was trying to give fair playing time to the songs.  I also bought the album, which is quiet good. :)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2019, 06:05:03 AM »
Hell yeah PFTP  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2019, 06:15:54 AM »

#19 Shattered Skies - Aesthetics, 2015

Nested within a solid, hard rocking album is this jaw dropping emotional ballad... Musically intense and lyrical gutting, it's one of those that just keeps getting repeated every time it gets played. Outstanding tune....
https://youtu.be/556ebAF3N7g

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2019, 07:44:06 AM »
No. 19:  By The Sword - Slash w/Andrew Stockdale

Honestly, I'm surprised how well this record has aged for me.  I'm not generally a fan of albums with multiple singers, since the singer is so important to me in a song, but it's one of the few albums like that where I can just put it on and let it play.  Not really a bad song in the bunch (though I'm noty blown away by the tunes with M. Shadows or Rocco Deluca).  I could have easily put any of four or five other songs here (Ghost, Beautiful Dangerous, Back From Cali, Starlight, Gotten... even We're All Gonna Die). 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2019, 08:09:13 AM »
Totally read that as 'Admiral Stockdale' at first... The though alone is beyond hilarious.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2019, 08:28:52 AM »
25. Structural Disorder-The Architect Of The Skies-2018

From 2018's ….and the Cage Crumbles in the Final Scene. This is a really neat album that I connected with. Lots of different styles. I used this song on my Indiscipline EP, and he said it reminded him of I Walk Beside You.

23.  Witherfall-Vintage-2018

Incredible song. From about the 5:50 mark until the end, this song totally rules.

The structural disorder song was not my cup of tea. I couldn't get into it due to the vocals.

I didn't even know motorhead had an album this past decade but the song was great!

The witherfall song was good too but I disagree, the first 5 minutes were the best part :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »

Honestly, I'm surprised how well this record has aged for me.  I'm not generally a fan of albums with multiple singers, since the singer is so important to me in a song, but it's one of the few albums like that where I can just put it on and let it play.  Not really a bad song in the bunch (though I'm noty blown away by the tunes with M. Shadows or Rocco Deluca).  I could have easily put any of four or five other songs here (Ghost, Beautiful Dangerous, Back From Cali, Starlight, Gotten... even We're All Gonna Die).

I could have a long, great discussion over that album with you, Stadler. I go back to about 3/4 of the songs on that disc often, and don't touch the rest. There's not a bad tune on the record, but By The Sword is one I don't replay, or Beautiful Dangerous. The M. Shadows tune is one I like a whole lot. Back From Cali, Starlight, Ghost, and Gotten are my favorites on the record by far.

RJ - that Shattered Skies song (and album) is phenomenal. Great stuff.

TAC - my buddy is the keyboardist in Witherfall and Vintage just kicks ass.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2019, 08:41:52 AM »

I could have a long, great discussion over that album with you, Stadler. I go back to about 3/4 of the songs on that disc often, and don't touch the rest. There's not a bad tune on the record, but By The Sword is one I don't replay, or Beautiful Dangerous. The M. Shadows tune is one I like a whole lot. Back From Cali, Starlight, Ghost, and Gotten are my favorites on the record by far.

RJ - that Shattered Skies song (and album) is phenomenal. Great stuff.

TAC - my buddy is the keyboardist in Witherfall and Vintage just kicks ass.  :metal

I get the Beautiful Dangerous; I literally think Stacy, Saul and I are the only people on the planet that like that song.  But the "By The Sword" surprises me.  Great riff, great vocal (love the way it builds), epic lyrics... dig it, man.  Dig it. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2019, 09:23:59 AM »
OK, I got my list together and will follow jingle's rules of 1 song per band and 31 songs.  I pretty much used play count for this too (like I did for the top albums of the decade), which might not give me super accurate results about what I think is the "best."  I tend to listen to albums so if there's a great song on an album I'm not big on, it might not show up here.

#31 - Soen - Sectarian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6rf0AIxpY

I guess I listened to this album more than I realized.  It didn't make my favorite albums of the decade list, but it's a really nice listen and I enjoyed it a lot.  I have a good memory of this track being performed at ProgPower and the singer really starting to get into and smiling and the crowd responding in kind.

#30 - DGM - The Secret, Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNZDoW0Dvd8

(Part 1 is great too).  DGM isn't really inventing the wheel but I just like their songs.  Singer is great live, and on the albums.  The songs seem to have a positive vibe to them.

#29 - Kamelot - The Great Pandemonium
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Trjxuc6Q2c

Yes, I think Poetry for the Poisoned is a great album. :P  I'm not sure if this is my favorite track from the album, but it's a good one, so enjoy.

#28 - Semistereo - The Search
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVzNxFt037Y

From my roulette. :)  I listened to this song a ton once the roulette was done and I was trying to give fair playing time to the songs.  I also bought the album, which is quiet good. :)

All very good tracks!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2019, 10:35:09 AM »
Welcome to the party Lethean.  Love that DGM song.  Naturally I'm on board with Kamelot (even though I don't know PftP terribly well).  Pretty sure I can skip Soen.  I'll be firing up the rest (everyone's) later this afternoon

My entry for today ....

Threshold / The Hours

This song hit me right in the throws of a very strong bout of depression (that lasted a few years, tbh), and had a ton of meaning to me at the time, and to some extent still does to this day.

It must be written on the heart of men
To get back on our feet again
To brave another storm

[...]

I stand until my strength is gone
And even then I carry on

Offline Lethean

« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2019, 10:54:25 AM »
Listen to the Soen, it's not that long.  :P Skip the Semistereo instead.

The Hours is an awesome pick. :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2019, 11:04:04 AM »
Damian  :heart

Hell be on my list a little later...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2019, 11:28:54 AM »
Welcome to the party Lethean.  Love that DGM song.  Naturally I'm on board with Kamelot (even though I don't know PftP terribly well).  Pretty sure I can skip Soen.  I'll be firing up the rest (everyone's) later this afternoon

My entry for today ....

Threshold / The Hours

This song hit me right in the throws of a very strong bout of depression (that lasted a few years, tbh), and had a ton of meaning to me at the time, and to some extent still does to this day.

It must be written on the heart of men
To get back on our feet again
To brave another storm

[...]

I stand until my strength is gone
And even then I carry on

I seem to recall you sending me that in a roulette.  Not remembering anything about the write up I gave, I remember it being pretty good, and when I listened again just now, I liked it a lot.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2019, 11:29:13 AM »
Hell be on my list a little later...

Ok so you like dark music. But why are you talking like a pirate?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
No, he's right. Damian is Hell.