Author Topic: What Musical Experiences Are You Most Thankful For In 2019?  (Read 2726 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
What Musical Experiences Are You Most Thankful For In 2019?
« on: November 26, 2019, 12:53:08 PM »
With Thanksgiving upon us in the U.S., I thought it would be cool for a thread to name your musical experiences (concerts, albums, meetings, etc.) you were most thankful for in 2019.

Iron Maiden (twice) - I got to see Iron Maiden twice this year. Back-to-back nights. The first night was with my family and one of my best friends, who flew out from the East Coast to take it in with us. My daughter got to see Iron Maiden for the first time, and was blown away at the spectacle. The second night, he and I drove 90 minutes for the second show, got a free upgrade, and took in another (even more stellar) Maiden performance. Great memories with the family, and with my friend, and celebrating Bruce being back to full form.

Fates Warning (road trip) - I saw Fates Warning three times this year. Twice as an opening act, and then a full-on headline show. The first opening set, I was smack dead center front row. Great energy. The next night, my family was with me, so my wife went down front, and my daughter and I hung at the back and watched. The third night was a headline show that I drove a couple of hours for. Literally saw Fates Warning do a full show, like they were playing a big theater, in a bar the size of a three-car garage. Incredible. And I made some great new friends, as a couple of guys drove from Utah to take in all three shows. It was a blast.

Dream Theater: Distance Over Time and tour - I swore I was done seeing DT after the I&W 25th tour in Oakland. I hadn't liked the band's new music in years, and I&W was my favorite record, and it just wasn't a great night vocally for JLB. I was done. And then...Distance Over Time came out, and it blew me away. And the show was great, and thanks to a friend, I got to meet some of DT. John Petrucci was sick as a dog, but his tech came out, and was gracious enough to take my LP, and John signed it for me backstage. A great show, a great record, and faith restored in my hometown Long Island-based band.

The Tea Party - Been a fan of these guys for 20 years. The only problem? They rarely played shows in the United States. They're from Canada. Every so often, a show in Buffalo, N.Y. would pop up (I think it was an eight-hour drive from where I grew up on Long Island), or Seattle (a flight from where I live now). But lucky for me, they played a club in the Bay Area, and I got to see them perform an incredible set with maybe 100 other people. They didn't disappoint. Just crushed it.

Hootie & The Blowfish - I am a fan of Hootie, and have been since Cracked Rear View in 1994. I have a thing for a couple of bands in that era, Hootie, DMB, Blues Traveler, etc. Well, I never got the opportunity to see Hootie, and always wanted to. I still love Cracked Rear View, and it was the 25th anniversary of the album this year. I got a killer seat at our local amphitheater, and they put on a great gig. It was nice to check a band off the list. Don't think I'll see them again, as I got to hear what I wanted, and I'm not an uber fan any longer. But I was really thankful I finally got to see them. Darius Rucker just has this quality in his voice that resonates with me.

Alter Bridge: Walk the Sky - My favorite band puts out a new record, and I love it, and totally sink my ears into the nuances of what they were trying to achieve musically, and thematically. I never thought after the original lineup of Queensryche disbanded, that I'd ever quite hear another band like them again...one that resonated. And AB does, in every way, and I am so stoked to have another record by them (can't wait for the show next year).

The Rue - Who, you ask?  :lol This is an acoustic duo. A father and daughter duo. You may recognize their last name - DeGarmo. Yes, Chris DeGarmo, and his daughter Rylie, have been making music together for many years, on the side, as something between the two of them. They release songs periodically. Being a father of a girl myself, and realizing the importance of finding a connection, the fact that Chris and Rylie have connected with music as their thing just pulls on the heartstrings. What I am thankful for isn't a new album or anything. But they did perform this year, unannounced, as a special opening act for Alice in Chains at the WaMu Theater in Seattle, on Sep. 20. I haven't seen their full performance, but this surfaced on YouTube: https://youtu.be/lE82kUiFvik

Chris DeGarmo is my favorite guitarist/songwriter of all time, and you hear his distinct style and phrasings all over this, just like you do on all of The Rue's music. Some of it sounds like Promised Land/HITNF acoustic material, just to a female vocal. It may seem simple, and I wasn't there personally, unfortunately, but just watching my favorite musician perform live again, with his daughter, just made my heart full. 
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Musical Experiences Are You Most Thankful For In 2019?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2019, 01:12:40 PM »
I've got a lot to be thankful for....

A job that sends me on solo work travel where I can sometimes work my way into sneaking off and see cool concerts in different locations, some examples from 2019:
Elton John at Staples Center LA
Kamelot and Evergrey in Nijmegan Netherlands
AJR at Red Rocks in Colorado
Billy Corgan at a beautiful small venue in LA

Avantasia making another album and coming back, although briefly, to the US.  Being they were never supposed to be a band and tour, it's amazing that it happened again.  The new album is pretty good and the show was once again one of the best I've seen.  Not only that, but I stayed at the same hotel as some of the band so got to ride the elevator with Miro and Herbie but also got to say hi to a few others including Tobie although super brief.

I got to see my two favorite bands both twice, Dream Theater and Iron Maiden (actually saw them three times). Nothing more to say here that I haven't said countless times in other threads here about the awesomeness of these shows.

Warped Tour doing a one off (well it was two offs, one on each coast but the East coast was better IMO) 20th anniversary show on the beach in AC.  This was one of the best weekends of my life.  I discovered lots of new music, relived music of my past in an environment of my past, and also enjoyed lots of current bands with a new vibe and actually having a VIP pass for this festival which was totally worth it.  Plus a rare concert experience where I actually got laid after :lol

And of course that ProgPower continues to be a thing.  It's apparently ending at 25 so being at 20 and having a blast with fellow DTFers and seeing/meeting some of my favorite bands makes this a must see event every year it seems, and I hope I can continue that until it ends which will be a very sad day.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 01:28:35 PM »
Top of the list must be Ayreon - Electric Castle and Other Stories in Tillburg.... fantastic show. So thankful that I got tickets and that I was able to fly down to see this. Also that my friend who sufferers from severe freight both of heights and of flying managed to fly down to meet me there. Awesome weekend.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 01:34:02 PM »
Iron Maiden

Meeting Jon Anderson, the primary force behind my favorite album of all time (and we acknowledged that). 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 01:37:52 PM »
Seeing Frost* with Nick D'Virgilio filling in on drums at a dive bar in Fort Wayne, IN.  They did their Cruise to the Edge set and it was sweet.  Nick sounded like he's been playing with them for forever, and he did a great job on the lead vocals for Experiments in Mass Appeal.  Also, seeing DT do SFAM live in full was awesome as well. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 01:44:12 PM »
Iron Maiden

Meeting Jon Anderson, the primary force behind my favorite album of all time (and we acknowledged that).
I met Jon Anderson a few years ago when he was doing a solo tour in Seattle. Very nice guy! 
 So what is your favorite album of all time??
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
- My friend marrying the lead songwriter and founder of one of my most favorite bands ever, Twilight Force -- and then meeting him at ProgPower, and getting invited to their wedding in Sweden next year. Can't go to Sweden sadly but it's awesome to be considered a friend who's more 'in the circle' than your average TF fan  :2metal:

- witnessing power metal history as Galneryus played their first ever USA concert during ProgPower, then meeting them and getting them to sign one of my tickets and my Gold Badge

- ProgPower in general tbh, hanging with cram and jingle was a total blast

- seeing Avantasia for the first time ever, in May
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2019, 02:15:15 PM »
I guess mine is simply all the bands and artists that have produced the albums I've bought, both those released during this year and in years past.

Rikard Sjöblom's Gungfly (x6), The Flower Kings (x5), Kyros/Synaesthesia, Dilemma, Dream Theater, Mystery, IQ (x3), Mostly Autumn, Spock's Beard, Magic Pie, Mansun, Big Big Train, Ayreon (x4), Lonely Robot (x2), Fish, Opeth, The Sea Within, and Flying Colors.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 02:17:46 PM »
- ProgPower in general tbh, hanging with cram and jingle was a total blast

:metal :metal

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:25:11 PM »
This album:

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising

One of the best and most beautiful albums I’ve ever heard. I’ve listened to it over 20 times (I know that’s not a lot for some, but for me it is since I listen to so much music) and I’m not even remotely close to getting tired of listening to it. Every time I listen to it I feel so much joy. I’m obsessed with this album. I couldn’t be more thankful to have it in my life.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 02:33:36 PM by NoseofNicko »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
Live show wise it was a pretty thin year, but the ass whooping allegaeon laid on me made the lack of shows worthwhile.

Album wise.... Double album by IQ, nuff said.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 07:38:52 PM »
Iron Maiden

I met Jon Anderson a few years ago when he was doing a solo tour in Seattle. Very nice guy! 

Going For The One.  Could be billshot, but he claimed to have listened to the orchestral parts of Awaken "just the other day". 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 07:40:15 PM »
Which one are you, Stadler? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 07:40:50 PM »
Saw Within Temptation and Ghost live. Thought both shows were tremendous, hard to say which I was most thankful for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 08:17:51 PM »
Getting to see NMB live in Cleveland. What a fantastic show/night!!!
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2019, 10:13:28 PM »
Tim's roulette.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliņujoąupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2019, 10:19:09 PM »
which one, this is his second one this year  :P

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2019, 10:35:58 PM »
He's the fogey  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2019, 04:10:48 AM »
which one, this is his second one this year  :P

True,  the first one, at the moment.  ;D
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2019, 04:28:54 AM »
1: Seeing Flying Colors live.
2: Seeing DT perform Scenes live.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »
Sadly, I haven't seen any shows for almost two years, so my list is based around releases and happenings in music.

Helloween - United Alive

I was always a casual Helloween fan, preferring Gamma Ray to them.  But when they announced the reunion, I thought it was a killer idea.  The tour was one of many that I did not attend, so I'm thrilled to have an amazing live album and blu ray from the band, showcasing how badass they are.  Kiske is on fire, and the release actually got me to go back and explore a lot of the albums with Andi Deris, which I had always dismissed as being inferior.  So over the last few months, I've become a giant fan of all eras of the band.

Demons & Wizards

Iced Earth is my all time favorite band, with Blind Guardian right up there.  I've always been in love with this pairing since their debut album came out 19 years ago.  The second album was alright, and I've waited for 14 years for any activity from them.  I'm so happy that Jon and Hansi blocked out a full year to tour, write and record a third album.  They're signed for 2 studio discs and a live album, so we haven't heard the last from them.  Thankfully they recorded the Wacken show, so we'll get a live release sometime, since I once again had to skip their tour when it came around, despite being a once in a lifetime thing. 

Slayer

They're calling it quits this weekend - I've been a fan for the last 25 years, recalling exactly how I got into the band on a recommendation from a long-haired thrasher that shared a class with me when I was a freshman in high school.  Sad to see them say goodbye, but I'm happy to have seen the original lineup in 2010 on the American Carnage tour, playing the Seasons in the Abyss album in full (my first album that I had ever heard from them). 

Dream Theater

Distance over Time is the album that i've been wanting from them since Train of Thought.  So I'm happy that they're back to being the Dream Theater that I love.  The albums in between are cool and have their moments, but none have left me feeling like they belonged to the Dream Theater of old until this one came out.

Primal Fear

Again, I was a casual fan for a long time, but went deep down the rabbit hole this year and absolutely fell in love with them, amassing the remainder of their records and spending months upon months listening to them.

King Diamond / Mercyful Fate

I love the live blu-ray that King put out earlier this year and can't wait for his new album.  Next year's Mercyful Fate reunion should be incredibly cool as well. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2019, 06:08:27 AM »
That DT bounced back with a great album after IMHO their weakest albums ever (I'd rank it dead last). They still have some greatness in them.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2019, 06:44:08 AM »
Oh yeah seeing Demons & Wizards headline PPUSA after I thought I'd never ever see them live was pretty incredible.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2019, 06:58:57 AM »
Gig wise it has to be the Marillion weekend in Leicester. a truly life-affirming experience. Other than that, Big Big Train were excellent, and the B52s put on a great party.

DT aren't bringing their d/t tour over here until February, and as for Tea Party - well, I saw them supporting Queensryche in the early 90s, and I don't think they've been back to Europe since. Shame, coz I love their stuff, and I'm eagerly awaiting the new album...
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2019, 07:51:31 AM »
Iron Maiden

Going For The One.  Could be billshot, but he claimed to have listened to the orchestral parts of Awaken "just the other day". 

Stadler, that is awesome!  Great album too.   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2019, 08:25:54 AM »
Iron Maiden

which according to my logic is Tales From Topographic Oceans
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2019, 09:47:45 AM »
Going to cap it at three in no particular order:

Seeing Steven Wilson the day after my birthday live in Hamburg and Haken (for the first time ever) the day after that, and also doing a M&G with Haken, best M&G experience by far for me. Both shows were fantastic.

Traveling to Netherlands to witness three Ayreon - Into the Electric Castle shows. Had a fantastic time.

Seeing iamthemorning perform two times from the front/center in an awesome small venue. Love these guys.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
Seeing Scenes from a Memory live :) I never saw it the first time and it was really a joy to see multiple shows this year.  Adding At Wit's End for the second leg made it even better.

Seeing Threshold live - no full album, but they were awesome and I'm so happy to have seen them

Katatonia announcing that their hiatus was over (a joyous occasion) and then seeing Night is the New Day live in it's entirety.  :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2019, 12:26:10 PM »

The old guy.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »
That DT bounced back with a great album after IMHO their weakest albums ever (I'd rank it dead last). They still have some greatness in them.

It's funny how different we hear music. To me The Astonishing was their pinnacle.... Distance Over Time is to me way down on the list of DT releases.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 12:52:08 PM »
Seeing iamthemorning perform two times from the front/center in an awesome small venue. Love these guys.

Keep your eyes and ears open tomorrow...

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2019, 01:41:20 PM »

It's funny how different we hear music. To me The Astonishing was their pinnacle.... Distance Over Time is to me way down on the list of DT releases.
I don't agree about TA being their pinnacle (although the point could be made that, in a way, it actually was, concerning the sheer scope of that particular undertaking), but I agree about everything else you mentioned. Back  to topic: I'm grateful for finally being able to see Hiromi live. (I wanted to see her live ever since she came onto the scene in 2003, never could though for various reasons) She was amazing. Lots of notes, lots of smiles (on her part mostly, although I smiled a lot too during the concert) One of the best concerts I've attended and I attended quite a lot and I'm very hard to please.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »
King Diamond - Seeing them live in Brooklyn was the highlight of the year, a total blast.  I got into Mercyful Fate in 1985 with the release of Don't Break the Oath and was absolutely crushed when they broke up shortly after that album.  I shouldn't have worried, since the output by both KD/MF ever since has more than made up for it.  And he's got a new album coming out in 2020.

Iron Maiden - Live in Brooklyn, they were in top form. 

Dream Theater - 3rd row seats at LIU Post, a college auditorium on Long Island.

Tanglewood - Every summer, my wife and I try to make the trek up to Western Mass to catch the Boston Symphony Orchestra do their thing.  This year we attended 3 concerts in 3 days.  Wife loves Beethoven Violin Concerto, but Brahms Symphony #1 and Dvorak Symphony #7 were my highlights of the trip.  Nothing beats getting loaded up on Foie Gras and Pinot Noir in the open air while listening to the all-time greats.

Jim Matheos - Missed the last Fates tour, but while sitting in my backyard one day with a stogie and six-pack of IPA, I decided to play through Theories of Flight, Darkness in a Different Light and Sympathetic Resonance (hadn't picked up Winter Ethereal yet).  It was just a reminder to me of just how good this stuff is, every bit the equal of Matheos' output of decades past, and in some ways even better.  If anything, the metal got even heavier! 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saėns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2019, 05:47:14 PM »
I'm most thankful for LudwigVan posting again on DTF.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2019, 05:48:22 PM »
seeing Fates Warning, Kindo (2x), Nick Mason and Steve Hackett among other concerts.

The Dirt Poor Robins EPs and their online presence.

Vonavi's album Reflection and even just the Short Film for the tune "Regrow."