Author Topic: The first time you realized heavy riffs and wailing leads were your jam?  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The first time you realized heavy riffs and wailing leads were your jam?
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2019, 09:15:00 AM »

Yummy Yummy!

The number of times I watched those vids.... Wiggles were just getting popular when the jingle.kids were babies.  We saw them live 3 times.  Captain Feathersword  :metal :yarr

HAHA, so did we.  One show, Jeff (the original guy in purple) actually was walking around after the show and picked up my daughter and said hello.  I know, I know, sounds creepy, but it was actually pretty cool.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »
We met Murray outside the venue once, and another time we had front row seats, and they took the poster jingle.kids made, and put a call out to both of them by name.  :metal

It was (and I'm sure still is) a fantastic overall experience.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2019, 10:23:49 AM »
I couldn’t get any one in my family to get see them dammit.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2019, 07:28:15 PM »
Probably when i got to hear Paranoid in the 4th grade. I listened to that tape so much i wore it out  :lol

I was lucky, my dad listened to Deep Purple/Rainbow/Sabbath and so i got into Rock/Metal real early.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2019, 12:07:39 AM »
Fuck The Wiggles.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2019, 05:39:12 AM »
Probably when i got to hear Paranoid in the 4th grade. I listened to that tape so much i wore it out  :lol

I was lucky, my dad listened to Deep Purple/Rainbow/Sabbath and so i got into Rock/Metal real early.

Cool, what parents listen to seems to greatly influence us doesn't it. What year was this?
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2019, 11:04:26 AM »
January, 1989

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2019, 06:38:25 PM »
Sometime in late 1991 or mid 1992.

A friend says "hey, you've got to hear this Metallica song."  He puts on the cassette single to Nothing Else Matters, but plays the b-side, which was a live version of Enter Sandman (from the Tushino Airfield gig, I believe).  I don't remember my exact thoughts, but I just knew that this music was awesome.  It was powerful, catchy and completely blew my mind.

I got a cassette of the Black album and played nothing but that record for an entire year.  In 1993, I got my first CD player and got the first four Metallica albums on cd, in addition to a Def Leppard disc and Megadeth's Countdown to Extinction. 

I've never looked back and have been a metalhead since.   :metal

Offline Lupton

« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2019, 11:58:56 PM »
In regards to heavy riffs for me it was probably Beethoven. He loved his chugging basslines and bombastic riffs. And the man knew how to write a hook. Great stuff. Everytime I'm feeling depressed I either:
a) watch Youtube videos of Dave Chapelle or Norm MacDonald
b) listen to Beethoven's 3rd Symphony for the inspiration to rise to meet life's challenges

Wailing leads OTOH probably aren't my jam, though I do enjoy and appreciate them from time to time.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2019, 03:32:36 AM »
January, 1989

The first time I saw that video, I got the chills. Maybe one of the first progressive tunes I heard?

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2019, 04:10:44 AM »
when I heard Beethoven's 9th Symphony, Queen and Van Halen for the first time in no particular order
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2019, 02:05:54 PM »
Everytime I'm feeling depressed I either:
a) watch Youtube videos of Dave Chapelle or Norm MacDonald
b) listen to Beethoven's 3rd Symphony for the inspiration to rise to meet life's challenges

It's funny, my college roommate and I always used to talk about the Iron Maiden guitar harmonies always being able to bring a smile to our faces.  And just last week he texted me that he was having a shit day but on his commute home an Iron Maiden song came on (I forget which) and it made him feel so much better. 

Offline Lupton

« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2019, 02:38:42 PM »
It's funny, my college roommate and I always used to talk about the Iron Maiden guitar harmonies always being able to bring a smile to our faces.  And just last week he texted me that he was having a shit day but on his commute home an Iron Maiden song came on (I forget which) and it made him feel so much better.

:tup I can attest from personal experience that this is 110% correct. Love me some Maiden. Though I didn't really get into them until college, so it's against this thread's rules to rate them as a "first time"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2019, 07:36:30 PM »
Not exactly the same thing, but I've been going through the Live After Death DVD, including the bonus features, and there's clips from about 10 or 12 shows when all is said and done. 

Dave Murray is smiling like a freak in every single song, just about. Certainly at every show.  It's infectious.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2019, 10:46:10 PM »
I love reading these posts.

I cannot recall the exact time frame, let's say 1993 when I was a junior in high school. I was really in to MTV fare for much of the late 80s, and in the early 90s coming out of junior high I was getting in to classic rock (Floyd, the Beatles) and one of my friends lent me his copy of 2112. What the hell, a 20 minute long song? I'd never heard of such a thing. Hey Jude was epic by my standards. I started it up, and there was this massive instrumental section before the vocals even start that was better than 99% of the songs I was listening to at the time. And wait... what are these lyrics about? Are they telling some story? This was the most mind blowing thing I'd ever heard. I'd never heard vocals like that, or guitar like that, or drums, or lyrics. That was one of the 2 landmark songs that has guided my musical journey and the one that best fits the thread topic.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #86 on: November 27, 2019, 06:54:13 AM »
It was the chorus to Dire Straits' The Man's Too Strong - the way the instrumentation of that crashes in started the rot.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2019, 09:13:29 AM »
8th grade English Class for me. My parents had gotten me a MP3 for Christmas and it came pre-loaded with James LaBrie's Euphoric. Absolutely blew me away, and I had to listen to the rest of Static Impulse, which was difficult since my parents were anti-metal and I had to sneak it on the family computer when they were sleeping (my mother especially thought bands such as Metalica and Iron Maiden were the devil's music. It was extreme enough that I didn't even know secular music existed until 5th grade when I was introduced to really bad rap on the school playground). I heard the riffs and solos and I was a metalhead. My cousin sent me some Nightwish songs and off I went, eventually finding Dream Theater because of LaBrie. And now pretty much the only thing I listen to is metal. And yes, my Mother is disappointed (even though she gets me metal albums for Christmas and my birthday now :lol :lol).

Offline Lethean

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
January, 1989

The first time I saw that video, I got the chills. Maybe one of the first progressive tunes I heard?

So, um, what tune is it?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2019, 11:26:38 AM »
Seriously? That's the video for One.

That is a great gif!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2019, 11:30:18 AM »
Yes, I was serious. It's a metal band in a warehouse - it could have been anything. :P

I did think i recognized James though.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2019, 11:35:32 AM »
I was not a fan of Metallica at all, and even I thought that video was one of the greatest things on TV at the time.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2019, 01:14:50 PM »
I've only ever been a casual fan of Metallica.  I've probably seen the video for One, but don't really remember.  I would recognize Enter Sandman - isn't that the one with the creepy guy?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2019, 02:40:22 PM »
January, 1989

So, um, what tune is it?

Sorry but,  :rollin

Offline Lethean

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2019, 03:31:30 PM »
Glad I could provide you with some entertainment. :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2019, 03:33:23 PM »
Glad I could provide you with some entertainment. :P

Hahaha  :tup

Seriously though, check the video if you don't know it mate.  It's epic.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2019, 10:05:47 PM »
quote from my 7 songs post which quoted my top 50 thread:

Day #6 Bonus: Metallica - One

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

I'll just quote myself from my top 50 thread:

. . . but I never really listened to them until "One" hit, and man did it hit me hard.  The video for "One" debuted in January of 1989, when I was 11 years old.  I remember staring at the TV wondering what it was I was watching - there was NOTHING else like this.  The stark black and white images of the band furiously playing interspersed with scenes from a movie I had never heard of plus the dark lyrical content really made an impression.  "One" quickly became a favorite song of mine and still is to this day.

So yeah, it became my favorite song immediately and it held that place for a long time.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
In college I had a bass playing buddy (he loved Cheap Trick) who put on Living After Midnight by Priest. After that I picked up British Steel and I was hooked for life.

Interestingly, I now have a ton of metal bands ahead of Priest.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Online Bentower

« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2019, 04:10:14 PM »
It must've been when as I was 7 years or so listening to my first LP, Iron Maiden's Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (I insisted on getting it due to the album cover). Heavy riffs and wailing leads fits the latter half of the title track to a T, and that was always my favourite part of the album.
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2019, 11:04:56 AM »
around 1978,  coming out of the Aero Thin Lizzy type music and finding Sin after Sin by Judas
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2019, 11:45:22 AM »
January, 1989

So, um, what tune is it?

It's times like this that I have to keep reminding myself that I'm WAAAYYY older than the average poster here.  :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2019, 11:57:47 AM »
But you look so young!  ;)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2019, 11:58:52 AM »
God damn Metallica were so cool back then.

Still love them, but yea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dparrott

« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2019, 11:37:55 PM »
I was only listening to rap and R&B in the late 80s, then my family moved and we got MTV at our new home, and I discovered Living Colour.  Then I heard Aerosmith's grooves and was attracted to that.  Then in the 90's Metallica and DT and on from there.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.