Author Topic: The first time you realized heavy riffs and wailing leads were your jam?  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Yesterday, while driving home from the office, Mississippi Queen by Mountain came on the radio. Briefly it took me back to the Summer of '70 when I was nine years old and my best friend's father bought a used '68 AMC Javelin. He'd parked in the driveway while he was washing and waxing it. Brent (the friend) and I were goofing around, lobbing lawn darts at each other in friendly attempt to skewer each other...when I heard the coolest sound coming from the Javelin's radio. I loved it and wanted more.

Unfortunately, the rest of Mountain Climbing! wasn't quite as cool, but it sent me on a path to Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, The Amboy Dukes (Ted Nugent), ZZ Top, Blue Oyster Cult, Nazareth, Rush, and Judas Priest.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The first time you realized heavy riffs and wailing leads were your jam?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 08:36:20 AM »
I believe the exact day was December 2, 1983.  I can be that specific because I know the exact series of events, and they are easy to pinpoint to that exact day.  My family and I were gathered around the TV waiting for the world premier on MTV of Michael Jackson's Thriller video.  One of the videos played in the leadup to that was Def Leppard's Rock of Ages.  My reaction was basically this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW9lHOMVFaY

From that moment on, I knew.

Yeah, Def Leppard isn't what many would consider "heavy" nowadays.  But they were at the time.  And that guitar-based hard rock was really the basis for what I ended up liking to this day, even though I have over time gravitated to music that is much heavier than that.  That day is easily the most defining day of my musical tastes.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2019, 08:43:48 AM »
I heard Panic Attack and Painkiller when they were featured in Rock Band 2 back in like, 2007 or 2008. The rest is history.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2019, 08:47:37 AM »
Welcome to the Jungle. I was like 10 years old I think. I don't recall ever hearing the song before then, but if I did, that moment was one of those moments you never forget, where the song just clicks and your taste is forever changed after that. That riff, Axl's voice, the dangerous energy that hints at chaos and violence right around the corner, inject it right into my veins.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2019, 08:54:30 AM »
Does hard rock count?

I discovered as a young teen that there was this called foreign music when I discovered Bon Jovi with Always, that was playing all over the radio. Bon Jovi was my first musical introduction into "heavy" stuff, followed by Guns n' Roses.

Then I discovered Iron Maiden and my musical world changed forever.

All of this happened in 1994-95. Started to listen to Bon Jovi and then Guns n' Roses and then in September 1995, back at school, I discovered Iron Maiden, all of this happened thanks to a schoolmate who was making me cassette tapes, in compilations style (so to this day I can never answer the question about "my first Maiden album" or "my first Metallica album", it was all compilations on tapes)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2019, 09:00:31 AM »
Bought KISS Alive II in the 4th grade. The rest is history.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 09:02:19 AM »

Ohhh, this explains A LOT.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2019, 09:14:52 AM »
Early 1981 when Back in Black, Hell's Bells, And the Cradle Will rock, Crazy Train, and I Don't Know were all over the radio. It was a pretty good year for turning impressionable 10 year olds on to badass music. Late 85/early 86 changed things again when Spreading the Disease and Master of Puppets came out. I'd been somewhat into Metallica since Ride, but Master was the album that really sucked me in.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 09:32:40 AM »
From the '7 songs for 7 days thread'

And to wrap it up ...

Day 7:
The song that had the most profound impact on my life.  Growing up, neither of my parents were all that in to music, so I just kinda wandered musically, never really finding anything that I could get truly connected to.  I had to discover things myself, and ultimately ended up on pop stuff like Wham, Madonna, Culture Club, Cindy Lauper etc...  Sure, there were some bouts of Supertramp, Yes, Halen, but only their fluffy songs that made it on to top 40 radio in the early/mid 80s.

It was 1986, and my older brother had just bought a new stereo with a CD player (those were brand new at the time).  He pops in Led Zeppelin IV, and I'm like wtf with the little wah wah wah wah opening.  Then Bobby Plant chimes in and I'm  :omg: with his god-like voice.  It changed my musical tastes forever.  Up to that point, I was a wussy little teenager listening to all that poppy crap. 

Zeppelin is still, and always will be, my favourite band.  Have the four symbols on my left shoulder, which makes it so forever.  Black Dog may not be my favorite Zeppelin song, hell, it probably isn't even top 10 for me, but it changed my musical life forever.  At the time, my parents had just split up, and I was turning into a 'problem' teenager - I just didn't give a crap about anything.  I was kinda lost, not really fitting in anywhere or with anything.  Hearing this gave me wonder, appreciation, awe, inspiration, amazement, desire, drive, determination and probably a whole host of other emotions.  It breathed life into me again.  Gave me a purpose.  Made me a fan of something - ultimately it gave me something to love - music.  Nowadays, I don't go anywhere or do pretty much anything without music.  Grocery shopping?  Gotta have my music.  Dog walking?  Music.  Working?  Music.  Chores?  Tunes.  I have spare earbuds planted all over the place, just to be sure there's a pair always handy.  It sometimes drives mrs.jingle nuts ... "take your headphones out and be part of the family!".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2019, 09:38:58 AM »
I was like 13 getting ready to take a shower and The Memory Remains by Metallica came on. Then I was hooked on Metallica (still am) and then eventually friends got me into Dream Theater, Symphony X, Queensryche, etc. and it kept going.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2019, 09:45:01 AM »
Not sure if these bands have wailing leads, but the first "heavy" guitars I heard and fell in love with were in 4th grade (1994) when Green Day's Dookie hit the mainstream radios and around the same time was Offspring's Smash.  Both albums had a bunch of hits and were really heavy for me as a kid.  I loved them, moreso Offspring.  Not sure what song was the first that got me into it all though.  Maybe Green Day's Longview since I think that was the first single from either album.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

It was hearing Love Gun, but yeah.   Kiss Alive II was likely the first record I bought with my own money, though.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 10:51:36 AM »

It was hearing Love Gun, but yeah.   Kiss Alive II was likely the first record I bought with my own money, though.

Love Gun!!  :lol Have you seen this movie? Were you the little kid when you saw that record?  I'll never NOT think of this scene when you talk about KISS. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »

Love Gun!!  :lol Have you seen this movie? Were you the little kid when you saw that record?  I'll never NOT think of this scene when you talk about KISS. :lol

For the record I think it was 5th grade for me; might have been 4th, but it was a friend bringing Love Gun into school and us listening to it during a break in a class.

As for the movie, I've never seen that. That is HILARIOUS.   

"I didn't know Jews could sing like that?  No, no, they couldn't. That's why they had to dress like clowns!"

"See Ronnie?  His dick is the gun!"

Other than the "Jew reference" part, I think I've had that conversation before though.  :)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 11:06:53 AM by Stadler »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 11:05:26 AM »
It's not one event though.  Kiss was the FIRST in terms of awareness, but then it was seeing Iron Maiden live and seeing the energy that can be created by people playing music.  Then it was playing/singing live in front of my high school and having people that didn't give me the time o'day before actually knowing who I was.   Then it was sitting at a party at college with a cheap guitar, badly tuned and playing "Stairway To Heaven" crudely, and having it lead directly to sex.   

I imagine other genres affect others the same way, but for me, rock has a primal power to it that can't really be explained.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
I had heard the occasional (hard) rock tune by AC/DC, Deep Purple, Van Halen etc., but it were two different riffs that got me hooked.
The Owner Of A Lonely Heart opening riff, before the band comes in and that Money For Nothing riff, after the keyboard/drum build-up. I was 14/15 at the time and while both songs/riffs weren't really crushingly heavy, those riffs drew me in. They sounded hot, had a hint of rebellion and just flat out blew me away.
That's when I realized, that the electric guitar was the coolest instrument on earth and I went actively searching for songs with cool riffs.
First came the hard rock bands, Van Halen, Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Whitesnake and the older ones like Led Zep, Deep Purple and so on, and that led to metal with Anthrax, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Metallica.

And to this day I get goose bumps when that opening riff of Money For Nothing is played.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2019, 02:43:20 PM »

That's hilarious. No, I've never seen that before.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2019, 03:11:14 PM »
I got my first computer (or should I say, my brother got one) in 2002, and it was loaded with great music, because that was the way of the pirate  :yarr Rock music and pop music. A lot of it I liked, Queen quickly became my favorite band. So I already had "a taste in music", and I was aware metal existed, it just wasn't on my radar yet.

The year was 2005, I was 13, getting ready for school in the AM, lifting up a spoonful of sugary cereal to my mouth, when a local TV channel played the video for Iron Maiden's Rainmaker during their music video hour. That riff can still knock me out today, but back then? Whew. I was gone, no turning back. Probably busted out my first headbang :metal :lol Got my brother to download us the discography of every hard rock and classic metal band known to man.

Been tuned into the scene ever since.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »
God of Thunder, KISS.   It was evil in a heavy way and I was hoooked.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2019, 04:11:46 PM »

This was the album that started it for me as a twelve year old. Saw their pictures in the comics I used to read and was intrigued. One double album later and that was it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 04:16:52 PM »
My first ever album was Kiss Killers (1982) aged 7  - most of their biggest hits and 4 exclusive tracks , some of which remained amongst my favourite songs of theirs  (Nowhere To Run etc..)

I have barely bought an album that isn't rock/metal since.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:42:27 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Nowhere To Run is awesome. As is I'm a Legend Tonight.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 04:24:59 PM »
Nowhere To Run is awesome. As is I'm a Legend Tonight.

Yep.  This is "peak Paul" for me in terms of his vocals.  Brilliant.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2019, 04:26:35 PM »
There was a late night music video program here in Australia called Rage.  When I was 13 I think (35 now) Marilyn Manson was guest programming.  I use to take a few hours of it on tape and watch the next morning.  He played Aces High.  I was blown away.  At first I thought it was cool but dudes with tight spandex and long hair weren't the thing in 1997.  It stuck in my head and stuck with me and I eventually gave in.  Changed my life and the rest is history.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2019, 04:31:50 PM »
There was a late night music video program here in Australia called Rage.  When I was 13 I think (35 now) Marilyn Manson was guest programming.  I use to take a few hours of it on tape and watch the next morning.  He played Aces High.  I was blown away.  At first I thought it was cool but dudes with tight spandex and long hair weren't the thing in 1997.  It stuck in my head and stuck with me and I eventually gave in.  Changed my life and the rest is history.

Funny you mention Rage.

From 82-85 I listened to KISS and KISS only.

IN 1986 (aged 11-12) on Rage these two vids appeared and I was TOTALLY hooked on guitar music and venturing into metal.

https://youtu.be/PYDpM7ljMHk?t=170   (luckily the outfits weren't enough to put me off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3l7mZySaR4

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2019, 04:33:09 PM »
I've really enjoyed the responses, folks.

By a show of hands, who's never heard of the Mountain song I mentioned in my post.  :lol

Edit: Added a YT link.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:48:31 PM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2019, 04:44:03 PM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
*raises hand*

That particular song ain't really my jam, but I feel ya'.

EDIT:  But I have no idea who the chick is in TAC's post.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2019, 04:46:51 PM »
*raises hand*

That particular song ain't really my jam, but I feel ya'.

Hey, I was nine. Cut me some slack.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »

By a show of hands, who's never heard of the Mountain song I mentioned in my post.  :lol

Saw Mountain open up for Triumph and Leslie and the drummer had a full blown fight on stage.

No fists but the drummer throwing drumsticks at Leslie and him taking his headstock and putting it through the  bass drum head.

Wild last song. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2019, 04:49:25 PM »

EDIT:  But I have no idea who the chick is in TAC's post.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »
I know it ..........and 80% of the big songs from the US never got played out here :)    Can't tell you whether the version I heard growing up was Mountain or one of the many bands who covered it.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »

Saw Mountain open up for Triumph and Leslie and the drummer had a full blown fight on stage.

No fists but the drummer throwing drumsticks at Leslie and him taking his headstock and putting it through the  bass drum head.

Wild last song. Lol

Saw that tour in Providence. Triumph filmed a video that night.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »
I only know that Mountain song from W.A.S.P.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2019, 04:52:29 PM »
I only know that Mountain song from W.A.S.P.

:metal

It probably took me about 10 years to realise You Really Got Me was a song by some other mob called The Kinks :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au