Author Topic: DT popularity  (Read 18821 times)

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
Re: DT popularity
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2019, 06:23:02 AM »
You can't compare a 5 million population country with a rather sparse population,  with 19 million in Chile, 44 million in Argentina and 211 million in Brazil. Santiago alone has 6 million people (metro)! Buenos Aires has 15 million (metro).

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2019, 06:32:35 AM »
You can't compare a 5 million population country with a rather sparse population,  with 19 million in Chile, 44 million in Argentina and 211 million in Brazil. Santiago alone has 6 million people (metro)! Buenos Aires has 15 million (metro).

Lima, my city, has more than 13 million people and still there isn't enough DT fans :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2019, 07:45:49 AM »
Good idea :)
Not so stupid.  Denmark, Norway and Sweden should  have one concert at a heavy concert scene with 20000 spectators instead of 3-4000 per show in each country :)
I hope not, even now most bands skip two out of four Nordic capital cities on about every tour  :lol DT is one of the few who had multiple dates per one country. I moved to Norway 3 years ago and I only saw one solo concert by a foreign artists in my city. Thanks, Steven Wilson!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »
Does anybody know what the attendance was at the Chile show?  That looked like quite an amazing crowd, way to go DT!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #179 on: December 17, 2019, 08:01:42 PM »
One thing I really missed at the last concert I saw were improvised solos or solos written just for that tour.  Something special and unique for the live show that I couldn't see anywhere else. These were elements that made me fall in love with the band after seeing the Metropolis 2000 DVD. I loved how they gave the different members of the band opportunities to shine. Jordan's solo was fantastic as was JP's. It doesn't seem like they are doing this as much anymore. 

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2019, 02:23:09 AM »
Does anybody know what the attendance was at the Chile show?  That looked like quite an amazing crowd, way to go DT!  :metal

I've tried to find some official (well, at least reported by the press) figures, but I wasn't lucky.
Anyway, I think something around 15,000 could be a good estimation.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2019, 01:22:15 PM »
It's interesting that I don't really know which DT songs I've never heard, as I have all the main catalog and all the live releases (how I heard Another Won, Raise The Knife, To Live Forever).  Without actually knowing what tunes are available through the special club releases, the only songs that come to mind that I haven't heard are Eve (saw this on a single), Raw Dog and ... Don't Look Past Me. I probably would not even know of the existence of that tune if it hadn't been you guy's discussion. I'm sure there are many more that I don't even know exist.

FYI, most - not all, but most - of the "fan club" songs are available in other locations.   B-sides are relatively cheaply found on the internet - eBay or Discogs.  I think Ytsejam is still selling old stock, so the FII director's cut is available as are the I&W demos/b-sides... I ended up getting "Cleaning..." on eBay for $20 or so for completeness, but I found I knew all but maybe one or two of those songs already.
Not only is buying a CD from eBay not especially convenient - a lot of people don't have CD players these days! Most new laptops don't even have CD drives.

I feel like I've banged this drum a lot lately, but it's wild that YtseJam is only available in meatspace. It was an incredible idea when it launched, and kind of ahead of its time. We're now in a place where the technology is great, but YJR's still operating the same way it always did. CotC should be a $15 download these days. It feels like leaving money on the table! Let me buy your stuff!!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #182 on: December 21, 2019, 01:26:46 PM »
It's interesting that I don't really know which DT songs I've never heard, as I have all the main catalog and all the live releases (how I heard Another Won, Raise The Knife, To Live Forever).  Without actually knowing what tunes are available through the special club releases, the only songs that come to mind that I haven't heard are Eve (saw this on a single), Raw Dog and ... Don't Look Past Me. I probably would not even know of the existence of that tune if it hadn't been you guy's discussion. I'm sure there are many more that I don't even know exist.

FYI, most - not all, but most - of the "fan club" songs are available in other locations.   B-sides are relatively cheaply found on the internet - eBay or Discogs.  I think Ytsejam is still selling old stock, so the FII director's cut is available as are the I&W demos/b-sides... I ended up getting "Cleaning..." on eBay for $20 or so for completeness, but I found I knew all but maybe one or two of those songs already.
Not only is buying a CD from eBay not especially convenient - a lot of people don't have CD players these days! Most new laptops don't even have CD drives.

I feel like I've banged this drum a lot lately, but it's wild that YtseJam is only available in meatspace. It was an incredible idea when it launched, and kind of ahead of its time. We're now in a place where the technology is great, but YJR's still operating the same way it always did. CotC should be a $15 download these days. It feels like leaving money on the table! Let me buy your stuff!!

It's all on Youtube anyway :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #183 on: December 21, 2019, 01:34:07 PM »
Again - why not DT's official YouTube? At the very least, they'd get ownership. Ad revenue if they wanted! Unless it's an MP rights thing...

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #184 on: December 21, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »

Well, we can quibble - I buy a shit ton of CDs from eBay, and for me, clicking a mouse here and there is not that taxing - but the point was, they are available if you want them.   I'm not a downloader, so for me, the Tool album doesn't exist, but that's ON ME, not the band, or anything else. It's MY DECISION. 

I have all the Ytsejam releases; if they went all digital, they would be neutral in customers, because while they may gain you, they would lose me. 

Offline robwebster

« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2019, 03:47:55 AM »
Moving to download doesn't take anything away - the physical versions would still exist for purchase, eBay still exists! As I say, it feels like money on the table.

(Even if I *were* suggesting switching entirely to download, I'd dispute the assertion it'd be net neutral - we're not the only two customers, and people who like physical media have had fifteen years of opportunity to buy the physical versions. And even if it *was* net neutral, there's less cost to the vendor associated with a download than printing and dispatching a CD.)

YtseJam's old-timeyness also disproportionately impacts new fans - who are more likely to listen to music on their tablet or their phone through downloads and streaming... and YouTube, where in fairness they are pretty well catered-to. It's not *the* reason growth is slowing down, but it's a small thing that makes DT feel a bit more legacy.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2019, 06:52:57 AM »
IIRC when Ytsejam Records was launched, the agreement between DT and their record label was that they would be limited runs.  That might preclude offering them as downloads.  What "limited" means, exactly, and whether the agreement is still in effect, given the change of record labels since then, I couldn't say.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #187 on: December 23, 2019, 08:30:06 AM »
Moving to download doesn't take anything away - the physical versions would still exist for purchase, eBay still exists! As I say, it feels like money on the table.

(Even if I *were* suggesting switching entirely to download, I'd dispute the assertion it'd be net neutral - we're not the only two customers, and people who like physical media have had fifteen years of opportunity to buy the physical versions. And even if it *was* net neutral, there's less cost to the vendor associated with a download than printing and dispatching a CD.)

YtseJam's old-timeyness also disproportionately impacts new fans - who are more likely to listen to music on their tablet or their phone through downloads and streaming... and YouTube, where in fairness they are pretty well catered-to. It's not *the* reason growth is slowing down, but it's a small thing that makes DT feel a bit more legacy.

No argument to any of that. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #188 on: December 23, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
IIRC when Ytsejam Records was launched, the agreement between DT and their record label was that they would be limited runs.
That is my recollection as well.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Loggins

• Rocks.
« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2020, 03:15:05 PM »
I think a big effect is lack of radio time. The younger people live and die by spotify or FM or satellite radio and a band like DT just doesn't get air time. Metal as a genre is less popular than it used to be, and all of the other genres seem to be merging with pop, so it's a one-size-fits-all music environment with the rest being the fringe. It's sad, but true.

The ticket prices may be out of range for younger people, but I think they're fair compared to the big name stars out there. They're cheaper than Metallica, Foo Fighters, and any of the "pop" junk out there like Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, etc. I think anything under $100 will sell out if there is a market. If they're not selling out its because there just isn't a million teenieboppers begging mom to go see it.

Personally I like smaller venues, so I would prefer DT in a smaller place, but I go to their concerts when they come around just to support and experience the live show. It has always been worth it.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2020, 06:04:17 PM »
I think around the promotional period of Distance Over Time, I think I have heard Untethered Angel played a few times on Sirus XM Liquid Metal, which is the big satellite station that plays all the new metal stuff (in contrast to Octane that plays the new mainstream rock stuff.  Don't expect DT to get played on Octane though.).  Other than that, not much DT is played there.  I think I heard Panic Attack once on that station as well.  I think that can be par for the course for certain bands that has a solid fanbase, but not a "mainstream" one.  Their lead singles get played on the main Sirius XM stations suitable for their genre around the time the album is out and a few weeks after the album is out, those tracks don't get played anymore and it won't be until the next lead single of their next album that you would hear any stuff from that band again.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2020, 06:10:11 AM »
One thing I really missed at the last concert I saw were improvised solos or solos written just for that tour.  Something special and unique for the live show that I couldn't see anywhere else. These were elements that made me fall in love with the band after seeing the Metropolis 2000 DVD. I loved how they gave the different members of the band opportunities to shine. Jordan's solo was fantastic as was JP's. It doesn't seem like they are doing this as much anymore.

First one that comes to mind for me is the extend version of Hollow Years from the ToT tour back in 04. I'm so glad we got a great version of that on a live release.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2020, 09:28:42 AM »
The ticket prices may be out of range for younger people, but I think they're fair compared to the big name stars out there. They're cheaper than Metallica, Foo Fighters, and any of the "pop" junk out there like Taylor Swift, Justin Timberlake, etc. I think anything under $100 will sell out if there is a market. If they're not selling out its because there just isn't a million teenieboppers begging mom to go see it.
Ehhhh... Muse tickets went from £50 on the latest tour, which felt pricey, but they were offering an enormous live show with people abseiling down from the ceiling and dancers and a giant robot that shoots lasers at you.

The same money gets you a balcony seat at a DT show, and I'm just a bit like... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not *that* stoked to watch them play a full album start to finish from far away. Can't speak to the greater audience, but I'm a pretty big DT fan with disposable income and the value isn't working out for me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2020, 04:01:11 PM »
DT gets featured on all genre-relevant official Spotify playlists, including the big rock and metal ones, as soon as a new single comes out. Loads of people discover artists there. And virtually every kid getting into metal or prog is positioned to try out Dream Theater, they're in every recommendation discussion, usually with a "you'll either love it or hate it" tag, but they are. Loads of people you wouldn't expect to be into DT are, at least casually.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2020, 03:32:00 AM »
The dollar probably means something. American artists want a certain amount of dollars to play, but the dollar has become extremely expensive compared to some currencies the last few years. While a dollar still feels like a dollar to an American, it simply doesn't elsewhere. Here in Norway it seems like some artists who would usually show up don't anymore, because the difference between what they want and what people are willing to pay don't match. If your currency goes up by two thirds you can't expect to charge what you used to, it's very basic economics.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 03:37:27 AM by Dellers »
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #195 on: January 29, 2020, 07:29:52 AM »
The dollar probably means something. American artists want a certain amount of dollars to play, but the dollar has become extremely expensive compared to some currencies the last few years. While a dollar still feels like a dollar to an American, it simply doesn't elsewhere. Here in Norway it seems like some artists who would usually show up don't anymore, because the difference between what they want and what people are willing to pay don't match. If your currency goes up by two thirds you can't expect to charge what you used to, it's very basic economics.

yeah good point but also prices, Example: Bryan Adams consert with sold out show with 7500 atten. the prices for the tickets is 700-900,-. DT same place with attendace around 3500-4000 is 550- 700,-

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
After seeing many photos of DT on their European leg of this tour, it looks like they have reached arena status..  That's awesome that they are well appreciated over there!   :metal :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KidInTheDark666

• Traveling through both space and time.
« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2020, 01:54:02 PM »
They reached the arena status in my country 20 years ago, but yeah, it's great that they've managed to maintain it to this day.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2020, 03:04:03 PM »
I feel like DT’s popularity has remained fairly consistent for the past decade in America.

Frankly, I think it’s amazing they can still fill 2000-2500 seat theaters even in smaller markets considering they haven’t had a “hit” or any media/radio support here since the early 90s. They’ve truly “made it” purely on the strength of the music and live show reputation alone, they somehow managed to survive grunge and then the dark ages of metal in the late 90s/early 00s when many 80s bands were dropping like flies. While metal and technical guitar based music has had a tiny bit of resurgence in the past few years thanks to bandcamp and the renewed interest in vinyl/physical media- it’s still not even a blip on the “commercial” radar. I honestly can’t think of many of their peers who still draw like DT and that is a major testament to the band.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2020, 03:16:48 PM »
I think performing Scenes from a memory has a really big part in the ticket sales for this European tour. It would be great to see audiences of same size when they go back to a more balanced set list.