Author Topic: Are concert seats better at the front or middle section?  (Read 1105 times)

Offline Imacer

Are concert seats better at the front or middle section?
« on: February 10, 2020, 06:13:24 PM »
Going to see Dream Theater in Sydney, can’t decide between front and middle section seats, front are $20 more, venue is quite small with furthest seat 32 meters away, Ive read a few comments that sound quality towards the front is bad, extremely loud and muddy, and the mixing is made best for around the middle section, is this true?

Offline Dream Team

Re: Are concert seats better at the front or middle section?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 06:22:45 PM »
Going to see Dream Theater in Sydney, can’t decide between front and middle section seats, front are $20 more, venue is quite small with furthest seat 32 meters away, Ive read a few comments that sound quality towards the front is bad, extremely loud and muddy, and the mixing is made best for around the middle section, is this true?

IMO middle is better.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 06:26:41 PM »
I say getting as close to the front is cool due to being closer to the band, but if you are looking for good clarity, middle section of the venue is fine.  Also, being as close to the sound monitor area would be the best spot for great sound.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 06:44:50 PM »
We had front row center for the BC&SL showm and there was this gigantic fucking speaker on the ground in front of us up to my chest. It gave off a breeze. :lol

And it was awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 08:33:13 PM »
It really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for the best sound, then more towards the middle is the best place to be.

If you want the most excitement, then being in the front row is your best bet. But don't bank on the sound being great in the front row. Somehow I got front row seats to see DT at the Pantages (in Los Angeles) in 2006, and while it was awesome making personal eye contact with the guys in the band, the sound sucked - I was on JP's side, so all I heard was guitars and some of MP's drums acoustically. That said, there are some (but not all) venues that have small speakers along the edge of the stage so that those in the front rows still get good sound. I know the Oakdale Theatre in Wallingford, CT has them, so I never had a problem being near the stage for shows at that venue.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 05:25:20 AM »
Front row balcony is always my favorite. I like to sit at concerts.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 09:50:17 AM »
I like the vibe up front! Great sound, singing etc is what I enjoy in my car/headphones. A concert isn't like a symphony experience for me  :corn but a party! I especially prefer GA and to be up front.  :metal :yarr
The best sound I have heard at a DT concert was the front row balcony. (my first DT concert and was like, WTH?? - wow!)