Author Topic: Speaking of holiday eats: Stuffing or Dressing?  (Read 2013 times)

Offline cygnusx1jg

Speaking of holiday eats: Stuffing or Dressing?
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »
Do you refer to the bread based holiday food as stuffing or dressing? I agree with Stove Top, it's stuffing. Dressing is what I put on my salad.
Hope is what remains to be seen. Now we must tend our garden.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Speaking of holiday eats: Stuffing or Dressing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 08:02:38 AM »
If it's cooked inside of the bird it's stuffing. If it's baked in a casserole dish it's dressing. Although I suppose I, like most people, use them pretty much interchangeably at this point.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 09:42:28 AM »
If it's cooked inside of the bird it's stuffing. If it's baked in a casserole dish it's dressing. Although I suppose I, like most people, use them pretty much interchangeably at this point.

This is correct. 

As far as which one I prefer, it's just depends.  The only real problem with stuffing is that you are limited in the amount you can make because the size of your given vessel (the turkey's cavity) is necessarily limited.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 10:04:39 AM »

I'm assuming this is the official definition that seperates both of these?  I had never heard of "dressing" as a child until I started working at Boston Market and having people order "dressing" and having no idea what they were actually asking for   :lol 

Having said that, I consider it all stuffing, using the word dressing because it is cooked differently seems odd, like much of the english language I guess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:09:56 AM »
I'm assuming this is the official definition that seperates both of these?

Correct.

Having said that, I consider it all stuffing, using the word dressing because it is cooked differently seems odd

Eh, not really.  We do that all the time with plenty of things.  Case in point:  If you scramble your eggs and cook them in pan, with ham, cheese, and onions folded or rolled inside, it's an "omelette."  If you mix everything together cooked in the pan, it's a "scramble."  If you bake it, it's a "fritata."  Same ingredients.  Basically same flavor.  But different cooking techniques confer a different name on the final dish.  A lot of people will still refer to any of those as an "omelette" for convenience.  But they're still different things, even though the difference is only in the cooking technique.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
And I will refer to "dressing" as stuffing, for convenience. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 10:17:11 AM »
I always call it stuffing, but prefer it cooked in the dressing style to get the top nice and crispy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2019, 10:26:24 AM »
Should mention, I have no issue or problems with calling it something different.  It's the term that has been assigned to it, dressing, that is confusing and the reason why I'll just call it stuffing.  Maybe if I grew up in a family that used that term I'd be more accustomed to it, but I'm not.  In fact, I haven't heard the term until just now since my high school days of working at Boston Market. 

My family traditions should have me call tomato sauce for pasta gravy, but I almost never do because I also find that term confusing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2019, 10:35:18 AM »
I've actually learned something new today.  I've sort of heard of "dressing" before, but, honestly, I always assumed it was a British term for what Americans call "stuffing", not the functional difference that El Barto pointed out.

(I'm not arguing this; my "British" thing was just a guess, so I'm admitting I'm wrong here.)

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2019, 12:13:58 PM »
I've actually learned something new today.  I've sort of heard of "dressing" before, but, honestly, I always assumed it was a British term for what Americans call "stuffing", not the functional difference that El Barto pointed out.

(I'm not arguing this; my "British" thing was just a guess, so I'm admitting I'm wrong here.)

Here in Tennessee, we call it dressing and I am in charge of making the dressing for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  In fact, I insist on making the dressing after tasting some of the dressing my family and extended family make.  I am also in charge of the iron skillet chocolate pie(for the grandchildren) and pecan pies(for the adults).
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »
iron skillet chocolate pie

Recipe now please!

Offline Harmony

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2019, 01:14:36 PM »

Recipe now please!

Ditto!  That sounds amazing actually.

And yeah, EB has it right.  I always call it stuffing but technically what I would eat is dressing (except I don't like it).  Real stuffing is what gives people food poisoning when the turkey isn't cooked long enough.  :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2019, 01:40:33 PM »
We call it stuffing, whether in or out of the bird; we make so much of it we have to cook some out of the bird. Usually make enough to stuff the big bird (which is always over 20 lbs), plus enough extra to fill two aluminum trays. But we call both stuffing no matter how they're cooked.
I think dressing is more of a a southern US term.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2019, 03:55:11 PM »
I always call it stuffing but technically what I would eat is dressing (except I don't like it).  Real stuffing is what gives people food poisoning when the turkey isn't cooked long enough.  :P

I can PROMISE you I will be thinking of Harmony on Thanksgiving Day.

"You cook that all the way through?  You sure?"  :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2019, 10:29:14 PM »
Yup, the above distinction is correct. And for those who are squirrely about cooking it inside the bird, a good trick is to do it in the pan with the neck bone in there. Gives it the in the bird flavor without the food poisoning.

Of course y'all could just invest 10 bucks in a thermometer and make sure the damn thing is 165 internally and remove all doubt.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:28:15 AM »
Probably the greatest thing I ever bought in the kitchen.   Improved my cooking by about 1356%.   

Goodbye dry chicken!   :)

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 06:35:00 AM »

Of course y'all could just invest 10 bucks in a thermometer and make sure the damn thing is 165 internally and remove all doubt.

This.
As a barbecue enthusiast, I have multiple; Instant read, Bluetooth enabled probes, WiFi enabled probes, etc.

Don't trust the little pop-up thing that comes in most birds.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »
Stuffing. Dressing is for the stuff that gives salads flavor.  :biggrin:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Harmony

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2019, 08:24:06 AM »
I always call it stuffing but technically what I would eat is dressing (except I don't like it).  Real stuffing is what gives people food poisoning when the turkey isn't cooked long enough.  :P

Only one way to know for sure and that's with a thermometer.  I trust no one but myself to check.  And now my work here is done.   :P
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »

Only one way to know for sure and that's with a thermometer.  I trust no one but myself to check.  And now my work here is done.   :P

I just got a laugh out loud with that.  I'm bringing my thermometer with me.  "Where's the kitchen?" :)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2019, 09:53:59 AM »
It has never occurred to me to ever call it dressing. That is something like my grandma would have said, like asking me if I wanted catsup with my French fries as a sat on the davenport.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2019, 10:30:03 AM »
It has never occurred to me to ever call it dressing. That is something like my grandma would have said, like asking me if I wanted catsup with my French fries as a sat on the davenport.

The davenport!!  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN3xPJdMHW8
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
I always call it stuffing, but prefer it cooked in the dressing style to get the top nice and crispy.

This is me as well.  Although I really don't care what my family members call it individually at Thanksgiving.  I certainly wouldn't correct anyone one way or the other.

I save my arguing for politics  :biggrin:
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2019, 11:50:12 AM »
You know, I never heard dressing before!

My mom always stuffed the bird and made extra outside the bird because i could eat it for weeks.  Now I do it like "dressing" at our house.  I stuff the bird with all the herbs from our garden and slice two lemons in half and stuff that in the bird as well.

We use the rind of the lemons to mix with herbs and butter to put inside, under the skin and over the skin of the bird.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2019, 11:52:07 AM »
The idea of stuffing a dead bird's body with other foods through its own ass creeps me out. The creepiest, though, is, as someone on TV said, "lifting the skin up" and putting the butter in there. Humans do some hilariously weird things to their food.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2019, 11:55:03 AM »
I learned it from those murderous chefs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2019, 07:47:17 PM »

Recipe now please!

Here you go Bosk1.  I also included the pecan pie recipe.  Sometimes I add some chocolate chips on top of the batter and then put the pecans on top.  Instead of what the recipe states, I cook 45 minutes and then cut the oven off and let the pie sit in the oven.  Also, the pie comes out better if you use a glass pie pan and lightly coat the crust with plain flour on both sides.

For the chocolate pie, i double the recipe and put in a deeper pie crust.  I do not believe it makes a difference if you use an iron skillet or not. You can tell this page of the cookbook has been used a lot by the food stains on the bottom of the page.

Note:  the chocolate pie is poured into a pre cooked crust and the pecan pie does not use a pre cooked crust.

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2019, 12:37:14 PM »
Excuse me, but what the fuck is a davenport?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2019, 02:57:43 PM »

A sofa. There was a popular sofa company ages ago that was called Davenport. Their products were so popular that it became common usage to call a sofa a "Davenport". Kinda like, Bandaid is common for bandage.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2019, 08:28:52 AM »
What's a "bandaid"?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2019, 08:38:44 AM »
 :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
What's a "bandaid"?

It's what you drink while listening to your favorite band while sitting on your Davenport. You know...kinda like Koolaid.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2019, 10:41:07 AM »

A sofa. There was a popular sofa company ages ago that was called Davenport. Their products were so popular that it became common usage to call a sofa a "Davenport".

Wow is that true? I never knew that! I just knew that growing up, the couch/sofa was always the davenport to my grandma. No one else in my adolescent world called it that.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'