Author Topic: THE John Petrucci thread  (Read 21419 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: THE John Petrucci thread
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2020, 07:29:59 PM »
So JP might use an 8-string for the next DT album? Which he confirmed they will start working on it in the fall.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/john_petrucci_explains_why_he_left_ibanez_announces_plan_to_use_8-string_guitar_on_new_dream_theater.html

I really don't want him to use an 8 on any DT album.  Solo album/project, for sure, but not for DT.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2020, 04:23:12 AM »
So JP might use an 8-string for the next DT album? Which he confirmed they will start working on it in the fall.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/john_petrucci_explains_why_he_left_ibanez_announces_plan_to_use_8-string_guitar_on_new_dream_theater.html

I really don't want him to use an 8 on any DT album.  Solo album/project, for sure, but not for DT.
I'm sure that when DT recorded Awake 26 years ago, people said that too about him using a 7-string. And then out came The Mirror and everyone loved it.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: August 07, 2020, 06:59:53 AM »
I can see him doing some interesting rhythm stuff with an 8-string, I just hope he doesn't fall into a "chugging" hole.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #73 on: August 07, 2020, 07:02:58 AM »
I would be really (as in: really) surprised if he did fall into that hole. He has such a strong penchant for melodies and melodic soloing. Take this with a grain of salt though, I'm not a guitarist.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #74 on: August 07, 2020, 12:25:59 PM »
I can see him doing some interesting rhythm stuff with an 8-string, I just hope he doesn't fall into a "chugging" hole.

Even Kiko Loureiro who is an amazing guitar player with a great sense of melody fell a little bit into the chugga chugga realm on an 8 string for his latest solo album, so I'm really hoping JP/DT doesn't.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2020, 02:20:54 PM »

:omg:

It is certainly possible to make some interesting use with an 8-string guitar, although I am unaware.  :lol

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2020, 02:22:45 PM »

Even Kiko Loureiro who is an amazing guitar player with a great sense of melody fell a little bit into the chugga chugga realm on an 8 string for his latest solo album, so I'm really hoping JP/DT doesn't.

Indeed.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »
I'm sure that when DT recorded Awake 26 years ago, people said that too about him using a 7-string. And then out came The Mirror and everyone loved it.

Na, apples and oranges, when the 7 came out "real" players were experimenting with it and what i can do, but that was 26 years ago when 7s were rare.  Now everyone and their Youtube shred-dog can have an 8 and they all end up just chugging along.  It'll sound just like every other player with an 8.  We'll see.

I guess that's my biggest objection to using an 8.  It's so difficult to have any separation in the low notes that even when you're playing different ones it's they mostly sound the same unless you're playing notes at least 3 frets away from each other.

However, if there's anyone around that I have hope for NOT being a chuggernaut, it's JP.

My other objection is what happens to the bass?  What's the point of even having a bass player if you're guitars are playing that low (eg. Animals as Leaders)?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »
Logically speaking, JM would then have to use more of the upper range of his 6 string basses, I might be wrong though. (I had this concept in mind when I thought about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_crossing, it's a Bach thing amongst others)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2020, 08:10:17 AM »
Listen to both SA and TV this morning. Wondered how I would rank each song from both albums combined and here is what I came up with. 1-3 was really easy to pick, 4-14 was difficult because I think all those piece are good. #14 could've easily been a top 7. #4 could've easily been drop to #10 or lower. But as of right now, this is what I got.

1)   Glassgow Kiss
2)   Happy Song
3)   Gemini
4)   Damage Control
5)   Glassy-Eyed Zombies
6)   Lost Without You
7)   Snake In My Boot
8)   Terminal Velocity
9)   Tunnel Vision
10)   Animate-Inanimate
11)   Out of the Blue (reminds me a lot of "Tender Surrender" by Steve Vai)
12)   Jaws of Life
13)   The Oddfather (Reminds me of Lost Not Forgotten)
14)   Temple of Circadia (The Dark Eternal Night meets Fall Into The Light)
15)   Curve
16)   The way things fall
17)   Wishful Thinking

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
Hasn't JP already floated the idea of an 8-string around before D/T? I seem to be misremembering this, but anyway. If he wants one, it's because he wants to do some of the stuff that's already done with those, in his own way. Whatever his own way is remains to be seen but if you have an opposition to this I don't know if he's able to do enough things differently to change your mind.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2020, 02:08:19 PM »

Hasn't he said things like that for the last several albums?

I will believe it when I see it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Evai

« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2020, 05:15:28 AM »
Yeah this same exact discussion happened before the release of D/T  :lol Comparisons with The Mirror and all
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2020, 06:05:08 AM »
Didn't JP mention in a recent interview that he and EBMM are working on a sig eight string?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2020, 06:33:45 AM »
Didn't JP mention in a recent interview that he and EBMM are working on a sig eight string?
yes he did (IIRC, that is, not sure)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2020, 07:56:21 AM »
IIRC, he mentioned of there being a talk about an 8-string guitar but never confirmed they were working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF39uABIQk4&feature=emb_title

Around 8:45 of that video, he mentioned he has thought about it and probably will develop one. years later he alluded to talking with Ernie Ball about design and how to go about an 8 string guitar. But I think now he said they are working on it already, but I might be wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2020, 10:09:18 AM »

I just happened upon this post and wanted to assure you that NOT everyone loved The Mirror.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2020, 10:49:47 AM »

I just happened upon this post and wanted to assure you that NOT everyone loved The Mirror.
OK, everyone but you loved The Mirror.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2020, 10:55:03 AM »

Agreed!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »

Agreed!
OK then, fair enough. I know I liked it. (not right away though, took me some getting used to, have to admit. I loved hearing it live on the Along For The Ride Tour in 2014 though.)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2020, 04:27:52 PM »
I'd gladly welcome an 8 string on a song or two.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2020, 10:22:19 AM »
IIRC, he mentioned of there being a talk about an 8-string guitar but never confirmed they were working on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF39uABIQk4&feature=emb_title

Around 8:45 of that video, he mentioned he has thought about it and probably will develop one. years later he alluded to talking with Ernie Ball about design and how to go about an 8 string guitar. But I think now he said they are working on it already, but I might be wrong.
Thanks for the link!  That is a cool interview, but I saw a recent interview about his new solo album and he mentioned the eight string being developed. I don't have the link though..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2020, 12:05:53 PM »
Well now, never thought you needed it, but the JP signature model beard oil is here...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nWEj8czolRk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
Well now, never thought you needed it, but the JP signature model beard oil is here...

Reminds me of:

It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2020, 06:33:38 PM »

It's funny, it would be exactly the same as every other beard product out there, yet, I'd still buy it.  Any chance to feel more manly should not be overlooked.

Offline adastra

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2020, 10:53:02 PM »
A question for all Petrucci enthusiasts! :)

In Rock Discipline when John is showing his rig and guitars, he has this red-coloured ibanez.
Does anyone know what the model is? Any pics of the guitar?

Here is the Psycho exercises video where you can see the guitar  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdE9OBqpKUA
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #96 on: March 08, 2021, 06:00:03 AM »
Just watched a recent interview with JP, within the last month or so. Was very happy to hear him say his biggest pet peeve when it comes to guitar is all the blowhard elitists who say technical players can’t have “feel”. He does a great job of explaining why it’s so ignorant.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 08, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
Just watched a recent interview with JP, within the last month or so. Was very happy to hear him say his biggest pet peeve when it comes to guitar is all the blowhard elitists who say technical players can’t have “feel”. He does a great job of explaining why it’s so ignorant.
I saw that yesterday.  Needless to say, I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 08, 2021, 01:35:01 PM »

Yeah I watched that one too.  Good stuff.

Offline illusionist

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2021, 03:56:01 AM »
Which interview is this guys?
Anyone have the link?
Thanks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2021, 07:03:11 PM »
https://www.guitarworld.com/features/john-petrucci-dream-theater-view-from-the-top-of-the-world

I have been saying for years, often falling on deaf ears, that I hear so much Gary Moore in John's playing, yet I've never heard JP mention Gary before.

Until today!

:metal :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2021, 10:03:35 PM »
"The guitarist also partnered with Iron Smoke Distillery to introduce his first signature bourbon whiskey (Rock the Barrel), and he even came out with his own brand of grooming products. Yes, you read that right: Petrucci’s Nebula line, developed in collaboration with Captain Fawcett, includes beard balm, beard oil and mustache wax."

My man understanding the importance of multiple income streams
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #102 on: November 07, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »

Na, apples and oranges, when the 7 came out "real" players were experimenting with it and what i can do, but that was 26 years ago when 7s were rare.  Now everyone and their Youtube shred-dog can have an 8 and they all end up just chugging along.  It'll sound just like every other player with an 8.  We'll see.

I guess that's my biggest objection to using an 8.  It's so difficult to have any separation in the low notes that even when you're playing different ones it's they mostly sound the same unless you're playing notes at least 3 frets away from each other.

However, if there's anyone around that I have hope for NOT being a chuggernaut, it's JP.

My other objection is what happens to the bass?  What's the point of even having a bass player if you're guitars are playing that low (eg. Animals as Leaders)?
So Erik, what's your take on Awaken the Master? Is it as bad as you feared?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #103 on: December 17, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »
I'm so pumped about my new collaboration with Neural DSP, Archetype: Petrucci! Get your 14-day free trial at neuraldsp.com/plugins/archetype-petrucci

🔥 4 unique amplifiers
🔥 Wah, Compressor, Overdrive, Phaser/Vibe, Chorus, and Flanger
🔥 Cabsim + IR loader with IRs made by Jimmy T at DTHQ
🔥 Room mic section with adjustable level and distance
🔥 Transpose control to pitch your instrument up or down
🔥 Doubler projects your signal to a stereo field
🔥 Metronome allows you to control time signature, accent sounds, and note values
🔥 4-Band Semi-Parametric EQ
🔥 MIDI-controllable volume pedal
🔥 Stereo Chorus
🔥 Stereo Delay
🔥 Reverb with Shimmer
🔥 Standalone version included - no DAW required

https://youtube.com/watch?v=wzdppk2_F9w

I'm honestly much more interested in the backing track, which sounds more like a new JP solo track we've never heard before :eek

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 17, 2021, 11:49:15 AM »
That was a pretty good track  :metal