Author Topic: THE John Petrucci thread  (Read 21393 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: THE John Petrucci thread
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2020, 09:25:14 PM »
They're finally coming back to Berklee to get their music degree :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2020, 10:46:19 PM »
Make a blu-ray of The Astonishing performed  with a symphony...

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2020, 11:19:20 PM »
Why do I feel like it's going to be a Dream Theater scholarship. Isn't that already a thing though?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2020, 03:17:50 AM »
THIS!    :metal🎶
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2020, 05:28:18 AM »
I would really love to have this and hope that the ship hasn't sailed on that one.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2020, 05:38:35 AM »
I would really love to have this and hope that the ship hasn't sailed on that one.
I think IO seem to be more open towards that as a record company. There may be a chance I would guess. But what am I to know. Would I welcome it? Yes, but on the condition of having James take ONE role only (Nafaryus preferably) and have other singers take the other ones.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2020, 07:57:08 AM »

This would be really cool, but it's not happening. They already announced they are recording the London shows in Feb. and these shows are advertised as D/T  - SFAM tour, not something else, and I really really doubt they'd record two different things for different live releases in the same time period (unless they released them as one big package with TA live + D/T - SFAM live, but it's a stretch).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
I'm thinking some sort of DT related scholarship.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2020, 09:49:30 AM »
I'm thinking some sort of DT related scholarship.
that would make sense, but they (Berklee and DT) launched one already ( in 2014, around the time that BT4W was either filmed or released, can't remember right now, but it exists already)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: JP Euro Guitar Award
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
I never really gave much time to Suspended Animation but I never realised how fucking amazing Glasgow Kiss is until I watched that.

BAM...  I was going to say exactly that.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: JP Euro Guitar Award
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »
I never really gave much time to Suspended Animation but I never realised how fucking amazing Glasgow Kiss is until I watched that.

BAM...  I was going to say exactly that.

haha, thanks for reminding me.  Gonna listen to this today I think.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2020, 03:06:26 PM »
I think John Petrucci has yet to be de-throned as King of Strings!  I don't see it happening any time soon either. Long live the King!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2020, 04:18:30 PM »
Listened to SA again and damn is a ripper of an album.  Not much on there that's not to like.  Tunnel Vision the only one I didn't really connect with on first listen.  Love the tones and the production too.  Would love a copy of this on cd.  Can't believe I haven't given this album much attention until now.

That middle solo of Glassgow Kiss is one of his finest moments, no doubt.  The final solo in the last song too Animate, is one of the most creative things he's done also.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
One of my favorite moments of SA is the rocking middle section of the Damage Control. That bass solo, those riffs and just everything from that middle section.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2020, 10:22:24 AM »
Quote from article: "We’re especially excited because the scholarship is limited to instruments that we play — guitar, bass, keys and voice"

Knowing that MP went there when the band was formed, and knowing that MM used to teach there, why wouldn't they include drums in the scholarship? Did I miss something?

That all said - very cool of the guys to be doing this for students! Kudos!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2020, 10:35:36 AM »
That's pretty cool.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if drummers are also included, and JP perhaps just misspoke.  Especially given how Mangini also commented in the article.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2020, 01:25:59 PM »
[Editor's note: Due to incorrect information supplied to Billboard.com, a previous version of this story erroneously stated that Dream Theater has performed at Berklee College of Music, that other band members besides Mike Mangini have taught at the college and that Dream Theater performed a composition by former Berklee student Eren Basbug. A quote from John Petrucci also has been edited to show that the scholarship fund will support drum students.]
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #53 on: March 06, 2020, 04:12:23 PM »
[Editor's note: Due to incorrect information supplied to Billboard.com, a previous version of this story erroneously stated that Dream Theater has performed at Berklee College of Music, that other band members besides Mike Mangini have taught at the college and that Dream Theater performed a composition by former Berklee student Eren Basbug. A quote from John Petrucci also has been edited to show that the scholarship fund will support drum students.]
well, everything else would have been a bit odd to be honest

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2020, 04:16:02 PM »
The part about Dream Theater having performed at Berklee is true though.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2020, 05:33:58 PM »

Yeah. The Awake tour, right?
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2020, 05:44:06 PM »

Yeah. The Awake tour, right?

2nd night of the tour. James even introduced Derek as an alum. That was a great show. Well before they dropped Innocence Faded and TOWHTSTS.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2020, 05:53:54 AM »
The amount of things they had to correct is Astonishing  :rollin

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2020, 05:56:27 AM »
The amount of things they had to correct is Astonishing  :rollin
Publicists can you hear us? News have been restored :D

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2020, 08:29:14 PM »
“...but I already sent my press release”
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2020, 08:25:24 AM »
I just saw JP updates his website, I like the new look.

Also, the new Majesty finish (Smoked Pearl) looks sick.

I just recently listen to DT's discography, JP's work on the earlier albums, including WDADU, were so tasty and original. His work after SDOIT is still great, and some of his best work came after that album, but there is just some magic to those early albums.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2020, 12:24:22 PM »
These are some of the most gorgeous guitars I've seen. Anyone in here owns a previous model or is thinking of getting one of these?

https://www.facebook.com/SonicPerspectives/posts/3234671976543305

Videos of JP testing the guitars inside

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2020, 12:46:22 PM »
I've been wanting a new 6 string for a while. I have an old Ibanez I might try to savage, but this new majesty models are tempting.

I have the 7 string Mystic Dream model (2014 I think?)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #63 on: May 06, 2020, 03:02:10 PM »
I always thought they were way too expensive - but I can definitely agree that it's a beautiful guitar and it probably plays like a dream as well.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2020, 11:02:42 AM »
The last couple videos JP has uploaded to social media (his guitar camp announcement and now something about his signature amp) feature snippets of two of the new tracks he played live for G3 in 2012 and 2018, so we might FINALLY get a second JP album this year :metal :metal :metal

Offline Volante99

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2020, 11:32:31 AM »
That Mesa Boogie JP-2C is my dream amp. It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine.

Had a Mesa Mark IV and sold it for cash and it’s one of my biggest regrets in life.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2020, 12:12:41 PM »
That Mesa Boogie JP-2C is my dream amp. It will be mine, oh yes it will be mine.

Had a Mesa Mark IV and sold it for cash and it’s one of my biggest regrets in life.

I will say that Messa Boogie and Friedman have some of the best amps I have ever play. I've been interested in the JP-2C but since I just played at home for myself usually, I have not justify buying one.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2020, 12:57:28 PM »

I will say that Messa Boogie and Friedman have some of the best amps I have ever play. I've been interested in the JP-2C but since I just played at home for myself usually, I have not justify buying one.

I can’t either. That’s why I sold the Mark IV (which was in mint condition still with inspection tags).

But I know they are going to discontinue the JP-2C eventually and if I miss out, I’m going to be one unhappy camper. Petrucci is my favorite guitarist and I love the Boogie Mark series, so I MUST HAVE THIS AMP.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
I always thought they were way too expensive - but I can definitely agree that it's a beautiful guitar and it probably plays like a dream as well.

I looked into them too and yeah, bloody hell they are expensive.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2020, 06:15:48 PM »
So JP might use an 8-string for the next DT album? Which he confirmed they will start working on it in the fall.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/interviews/john_petrucci_explains_why_he_left_ibanez_announces_plan_to_use_8-string_guitar_on_new_dream_theater.html