Author Topic: Official Coldplay thread - "Everyday Life" out 22 November 2019  (Read 953 times)

Offline Fritzinger

Official Coldplay thread - "Everyday Life" out 22 November 2019
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:49:40 AM »
Bump-

I couldn't find an official Coldplay thread. So here's a new one.

After a short hiatus, the band will release a new album in November. It's doing to be a double album, one half called Sunrise, the other one Sunset. I heard somewhere else that one half is going to represent the band's more experimental ("Kid-A-like") side, the other one should contain poppier, more mainstream songs.

Looking forward to this!

#EverydayLife
22 November, 2019
🌙

any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

Re: Official Coldplay thread - "Everyday Life" out 22 November 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 06:03:14 AM »
Yep, it's been a while since their last album. And this seems apppropriate, since their last two albums basically showcased two completely opposite sides of the band.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 06:57:53 AM »
Saw the profile change on their social media pages and was wondering when they would annouce. Can't wait to hear the new stuff, saw them on the last tour and it was amazing. I became a huge fan of them after Xylo
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline 425

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 07:16:58 AM »
There is a thread bouncing around here somewhere, but oh well.

Coldplay is one of my favorite artists, no matter how popular it is to hate on them. Mylo Xyloto and Ghost Stories are both top 20 albums for me, but I didn't like A Head Full of Dreams quite as well (though it had some great moments, like Up&Up). Excited about the notion of hearing more of their experimental side on this one.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 07:57:24 AM »
I remember being a big fan around 'A Rush of Blood To The Head' and up until 'Viva La Vida' (great songs like In My Place, Clocks, Yellow, and Viva La Vida).

And then I lost track of them, probably because they changed into a more electronic sound and with less guitars. Maybe I should look into their later stuff some day.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 08:08:49 AM »
I think the first two records are phenomenal.  The one's since are good not great if you ask me.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 07:05:01 AM »
So Coldplay have released TWO new songs plus the pre-order information for Everyday Life!

Orphan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXKYA-zmzTY

Arabesque
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJNG3WmsOs4

What do you guys think??

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:49:14 AM »
Both songs were okay, but I think for me they are destined to always be a band that had one great album (Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends) and then missed more than hit the rest of the way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:37:51 AM »
Both songs were okay, but I think for me they are destined to always be a band that had one great album (Viva La Vida or Death and All His FriendsA Rush Of Blood To The Head) and then missed more than hit the rest of the way.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 09:17:07 PM »
Of the three songs out there, I think Everyday Life might be my favorite so far. All 3 are great, Arabesque is a little different than usual for Coldplay. But they all have great hooks and melodies.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2019, 09:48:57 PM »
Coldplay just performed the first part "Sunrise" live in Jordan and streamed it on YouTube. You can watch repeat performance of it until they play live again the 2nd half of the album "Sunset" during the actual sunset.

first half was solid. Very melodic and some really catchy hooks. Favorite might be "Church" and "Trouble in Town"

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 12:13:42 AM »
I absolutely love Trouble In Town. It might be one of their best songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2019, 10:01:18 AM »
I'm sorry, this is going to be WAY more mean than I intend it, but I just watched the episode where they were on Saturday Night Live.   And I get they are trying to do something different, and cool, and unique, but for this starting-to-be-jaded, 50-something music fan, it just screams of "Hey the kids today didn't get to see Bono and the boys circa The Unforgettable Fire era, so let's give them some of THAT!"

When I was living with my buddy Eric, back in the early/mid '90's, he used to always make fun of U2 for playing the SAME drumbeat and the SAME bass line in every song. and he would sing "bum bum bum bum bum" and tap that same cymbal lick with the snare that you hear in "New Year's Day" (and half the rest of the songs on War).  Sure enough, my wife and I are watching Coldplay on SNL and that conversation flashed in my head as Will Champion (drummer) and Guy Berryman (bassist) are doing their best "Larry Mullen, Jr." and "Adam Clayton", while Chris Martin Bono's his way through the audience. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
Ok Boomer. ;D

Offline faizoff

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2019, 07:13:14 PM »
Finished watching the second part "Sunset", again some great tracks. Orphans, "بنی آدم", Champion World and Everyday Life are so chill. I think I honestly preferred the live versions of the songs to the studio ones. It's another great album.

Hope they tour soon.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 01:52:05 AM »
Finished watching the second part "Sunset", again some great tracks. Orphans, "بنی آدم", Champion World and Everyday Life are so chill. I think I honestly preferred the live versions of the songs to the studio ones. It's another great album.

Hope they tour soon.

I think they said they won't tour anymore because it is a burden on the climate.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 02:49:35 PM »

Hope they tour soon.

I think they said they won't tour anymore because it is a burden on the climate.

If only Radiohead cared about the climate more... I kid! I kid! 

Seriously, though, I'm stealing that.  "Honey, can you wash the dishes?"  "I'd love to babe, but it's a burden on the climate."

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 05:12:31 PM »
Blind-bought the album today. Thought it was decent on first listen. Favorite songs so far are Arabesque, Trouble in Town and Church. I imagine the album will grow on me.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 10:50:10 AM »
surprisingly rather good and varied.

Some of the Marillion fans were comparing some of it to Marillion, which I don't think it's a bad comparison.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 12:05:42 PM »
I'm impressed by how much musical integrity the band demonstrated with this album. It's so varied, complex and eccentric that I keep returning to it and discovering new bits and pieces. There are captivating samples, spoken-word pieces and brief semi-songs throughout. I am extremely surprised by how much I dig it.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 01:16:20 PM »
My silver vinyl finally arrived from the official Coldplay shop and I can't tell you guys how much this format changed the way I listen to and feel about this album!

First of all, the vinyl sounds great, no crackling, and a warm, not overproduced and organic sound.

I usually have a problem with albums that are just those two or three minutes too long to fit on one LP (or they would fit, but song lengths don't allow it), so they have to be separated and put on two. I'm talking about albums like Vector (Haken), Storm Corrosion (Storm Corrosion), Fear Of A Blank Planet (Porcupine Tree), A Moon Shaped Pool (Radiohead), Western Stars (Bruce Springsteen). Or sometimes, they are just put on two LPs for no apparent reason, like the last Coldplay album or Meteora (Linkin Park). It's something different if the album is 70-80 minutes long. But a 50 mins album on two LPs you have to turn around roughly every 12 minutes. There's just something satisfying about albums that are able to pack all their greatness onto just one LP - like all Tim Bowness albums, Lana Del Rey's Born To Die, all Katie Melua albums, A Scarcity Of Miracles by that King Crimson Projekct  - or Coldplay's Parachtes, Viva La Vida or A Rush Of Bood. It means they either have been written for this format or at least are a perfect fit for this format.

It's completely different with Everyday Life. I was kind of disappointed when I heard that the album would only be 53 minutes long, although it was announced as a double album and it has 16 songs. But the separation into those two "half albums" Sunrise and Sunset totally makes sense. This really feels like a double album, and it actually is if you listen to it on vinyl. And the length doesn't matter anymore (not that it should matter - just talking about my personal weirdness here), because there are so many beautiful ideas packed into these 53 minutes.

Anyway, if found a lot more small details on this record listening to it during the last two hours. Some songs that didn't make sense to me or to which I didn't pay attention much now do make sense. I'm talking about the small interludes, instrumentals, spoken word snippets, mobile phone recordings or even "real songs" like Cry Cry Cry and BrokEn. The whole album flows very well and I am starting to love it. I liked it before, but my appreciation is getting bigger with every listen.