Author Topic: His Dark Materials - A BBC Production  (Read 5977 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: His Dark Materials - A BBC Production
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2020, 09:03:27 PM »
Ep 2 was exceptionally solid of course, and the framework is really being laid for connecting the two worlds. Curious to see how the witches react to the fire bombing, they don't seem the live and let live type. The magistrate is going to pay for that shit.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2020, 12:01:44 AM »
Ep 2 was exceptionally solid of course, and the framework is really being laid for connecting the two worlds. Curious to see how the witches react to the fire bombing, they don't seem the live and let live type. The magistrate is going to pay for that shit.
Magisterium? :lol

Up to ep 4 now in the UK and this is another damn fine season so far. It's a fantastic adaptation, and while I guess some casual viewers and non book readers might find the various plot strands a bit confusing, the storytelling is actually really tight and only covers stuff that is essential to the direction of the story. Can't wait to see how they adapt the final book which I guess might be stretched out across two seasons. 

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2020, 12:48:36 AM »
God stop picking on me rich.   :lol

I just live how the overall arcs just keep getting richer, and drawn out so deftly.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2020, 02:10:06 AM »
God stop picking on me rich.   :lol
It's ok, I assume you just watched the latest Mandalorian episode which had The Magistrate in, so I'll let you off. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2020, 10:45:42 AM »
I have tried watching this a few times now. I am up to episode 5. The writing is horrible and the story is boring. The characters aren't compelling. The demon stuff really isn't explained much and they all feel like afterthoughts. And, despite the books apparently coming before Harry Potter, there's a lot that feels extremely Harry Potter-ish about this, in a bad way. I dunno, I'll try to keep going I guess.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2020, 03:13:12 PM »
I have tried watching this a few times now. I am up to episode 5. The writing is horrible and the story is boring. The characters aren't compelling. The demon stuff really isn't explained much and they all feel like afterthoughts. And, despite the books apparently coming before Harry Potter, there's a lot that feels extremely Harry Potter-ish about this, in a bad way. I dunno, I'll try to keep going I guess.
This might be your worst take on anything ever.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2020, 03:30:40 PM »

Really? It's so corny and badly acted. The woman playing Coulter is trying so hard with the material she's given, god bless her. The daemon stuff feels like a D rate Harry Potter/Pokemon crossover. I've gone in really trying to appreciate it but oof, man.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2020, 03:39:19 PM »
Is James McVoy in this a lot or just spotty appearances?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »

Yeah, I gotta side with Rich on this one.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
That is FAR from my worst take, I absolutely, 100% promise you that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2020, 05:30:58 PM »
 :lol

Yeah, there's always the Nick Cave thing hanging out there. :p

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2020, 12:45:10 AM »

Really? It's so corny and badly acted. The woman playing Coulter is trying so hard with the material she's given, god bless her. The daemon stuff feels like a D rate Harry Potter/Pokemon crossover. I've gone in really trying to appreciate it but oof, man.
Every single thing you've said is wrong and awful and you should feel bad.

I be am boner inducing.

Online The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2020, 04:39:10 AM »
I'm still watching it, but by God why they have to digitally colour grade everything into the orange and teal axis is beyond me. It's all but unwatchable. I long for the days when film and tv goes back to natural colours.

And I wish they'd put some expository dialogue in, so that viewers might stand a chance of following what's going on.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2020, 06:19:21 AM »
I'm still watching it, but by God why they have to digitally colour grade everything into the orange and teal axis is beyond me. It's all but unwatchable. I long for the days when film and tv goes back to natural colours.
I have no problem with the colours at all, but also they use slightly different colour palettes for the different worlds. Will's world is our world, so looks pretty neutral.

And I wish they'd put some expository dialogue in, so that viewers might stand a chance of following what's going on.
Out of interest, is there anything in particular that you're finding hard/impossible to follow?

There's a lot the viewer doesn't know yet because Lyra and Will don't know it, which is the same as in the books. The exposition has in general been very aligned with the books, with actually a bit more as the first book only follows Lyra and we don't even know about parallel worlds at all until the start of the second when we meet Will, so IMO they've done a really good job of making it more accessible for TV viewers. But I say this as someone who read the books, so I don't know if there are particular points that should be understood at this stage but are unclear.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 07:12:37 AM »

Every single thing you've said is wrong and awful and you should feel bad.

It absolutely isn't, and I don't even watch much TV, so my standards aren't exactly high

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2020, 08:36:25 AM »

I agree.  I tried, I really did - watched all the first series, but it was a real slog.  Like a lot of young adult material it's just to poe faced, humourless and really quite dreary, towards the end of each episode I'd be clockwatching and yawning. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2020, 08:45:24 AM by soupytwist »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2022, 07:10:00 PM »
Season 3 kicks off tonight :caffeine:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2022, 11:16:41 PM »
Binged the last 5 episodes today. What a tremendous show, just so beautifully done.

Dafne Keen is an absolute treasure as Lyra, and I can't wait to see where her career goes next. Two high profile performances in this and Logan, and she fucking crushed both of them.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2023, 11:42:38 AM »
Watched S1 back when it originally aired and really liked the show. But, for whatever reason.....I didn't jump back on board when S2 aired and now I see that S3 has aired as well. Will have to do a recap of S1 and get back on this one.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online faizoff

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2023, 10:03:28 PM »
Finally got done watching the final season. It was quite enjoyable, I think season 2 was great probably my favorite but season 3 was close. Satisfying ending, having never read the books I didn't know what to expect in the end but it was a good sendoff.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2023, 09:47:47 AM »
Finally got done watching the final season. It was quite enjoyable, I think season 2 was great probably my favorite but season 3 was close. Satisfying ending, having never read the books I didn't know what to expect in the end but it was a good sendoff.

I don't know.  It was "satisfying" in that nothing was really left hanging.  But it was quite a downer IMO.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2023, 06:52:28 AM »
Finished this show yesterday. Very enjoyable. Though season 3 felt like it dragged (Except for Ep. 7).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk