Author Topic: MyRetroTVs  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Harmony

MyRetroTVs
« on: April 29, 2023, 10:42:35 AM »
Has anyone heard of this?  Talk about falling into a wormhole that could potentially last for years....especially if you grew up with a television on at all times as a kid, like I did.

https://www.myretrotvs.com/

Each decade has its own television set with the ability to shuffle or toggle through various things like tv shows, movies, music, talk shows, commercials, news stories, cartoons.  You can filter out anything you don't want to watch.

I literally just watched an entire episode of Soap, an episode of The Late Show with David Letterman, and a bunch of commercials from when I was growing up of products that don't even exist anymore.  I wish I had known about this when I got stuck for 7 hours at an airport recently.  LoL
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: MyRetroTVs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 10:58:55 AM »
You had me at Soap. Will check this out.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2023, 02:28:45 PM »
The commercials channel will be dangerous.  Johnny Cash hawking STP gas treatment.   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2023, 03:32:05 PM »
So... You can edit everything out except late 70s cartoons? Really wish I could get high and waste a day watching those memories...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 12:05:19 AM »
I expected this to be like a MeTV or AntennaTV playlist, which it is, but more.

It seems to take an algorythm from YouTube uploads by historical year.

There is a YouTube channel like TCMediaNow
https://www.youtube.com/@tcmedianow

which has what seems like an unlimited number of News Broadcasts and Media specials based on my hometown in Minneapolis/St.Paul, which mostly clips from the 70's and 80's. I'm unsure, but wouldn't be surprised many other markets also have archive channels like that.

I will have to play around with this though as it does seem to be a massive nostalgia rabbit hole.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2023, 03:36:34 AM »
Watching early 90's now  :metal

Offline Harmony

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
It is embarrassing a bit to admit how much time I've spent on this in the last 24 hours.  LoL.  But I have found some very obscure and interesting items and I could be wrong about this, but it seems like the algorithm gravitates to showing you items that are similar to items you've spent time on.  For example, in the 70s this morning I was taken to a very obscure clip of a tour promo for Pink Floyd from Atom Heart Mother in Austria (I couldn't understand the dialogue) and a few clicks later was listening to Genesis Stagnation from Trespass.

Yesterday I stumbled on some old great interviews from The Tonight Show (Robin Williams along with Jonathan Winters - classic!) and another one that had me rolling with Martin Short.  There are old SNL skits as well.  But mostly I'm digging the music, especially from the 70s before MTV was a thing.  There were more "videos" than I realized made - some are just lip sync'd from American Bandstand but there are also so great things from Soul Train and The Midnight Special.  I also have stumbled on obscure interviews with The Pretenders, Zappa, and live clips from concerts (Elton John Bennie and the Jets for 1974!) and so much more. 

This thing is addicting! 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline T-ski

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 10:00:36 AM »
I’m in trouble with this, so many memories!
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2023, 11:12:59 AM »
Oh boy does weed make this thing go crazy.

Why am I watching ricki lake from 94  :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2023, 11:52:31 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.