Author Topic: New Jordan Rudess Interview!  (Read 666 times)

Offline ejter

Offline Lupton

Re: New Jordan Rudess Interview!
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 02:41:42 PM »
Wow. He really didn't know who Tony Williams was before he played with him. I guess that's what happens when you get a "classical" training in music. I know jazz wasn't  foreign to him as I recall him citing in another interview that he was influenced by Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs -- so he had some knowledge of at least one of the musicians in Miles' circle.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »
Wow. He really didn't know who Tony Williams was before he played with him. I guess that's what happens when you get a "classical" training in music. I know jazz wasn't  foreign to him as I recall him citing in another interview that he was influenced by Chick Corea's Now He Sings, Now He Sobs -- so he had some knowledge of at least one of the musicians in Miles' circle.

Jazz is such a huge genre. Not surprising a keyboard player who wasn't into Jazz didn't know who that drummer was.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 01:57:25 AM »
I guess it surprised me because I'm not a jazz guy, and even I know who Tony Williams is. I guess experience is relative. I figured Emergency! (with Larry young and John McLaughlin) was one of those '69 zietgeist albums that even non-jazz people would have been aware of. Even my dad has a copy in his record collection from his youth. That, along with Miles' In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew, I sort of figured this was mainstream stuff in the late 60's/early 70s. Seminal fusion.

It's almost like admitting you've never heard about any of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, and Weather Report. Shit, I watched a Jason Newsted interview the other day, and he mentioned how Stanley Clarke was an influence (Tony played on Stanley's 1st solo album). You don't need to be a pure jazzer to know about Tony Williams. I barely know shit about jazz, and I'm well aware of Tony along with other guys like Billy Cobham and Dennis Chambers. All killers on the drums. And Tony was before them.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
I guess it surprised me because I'm not a jazz guy, and even I know who Tony Williams is. I guess experience is relative. I figured Emergency! (with Larry young and John McLaughlin) was one of those '69 zietgeist albums that even non-jazz people would have been aware of. Even my dad has a copy in his record collection from his youth. That, along with Miles' In A Silent Way and Bitches Brew, I sort of figured this was mainstream stuff in the late 60's/early 70s. Seminal fusion.

It's almost like admitting you've never heard about any of Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return to Forever, and Weather Report. Shit, I watched a Jason Newsted interview the other day, and he mentioned how Stanley Clarke was an influence (Tony played on Stanley's 1st solo album). You don't need to be a pure jazzer to know about Tony Williams. I barely know shit about jazz, and I'm well aware of Tony along with other guys like Billy Cobham and Dennis Chambers. All killers on the drums. And Tony was before them.

I never heard of Tony Williams until I read your post. I know who Billy Cobham is though. Spectrum is a cool album  :metal

Offline Lupton

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 03:35:02 PM »
 :tup Indeed. Many drummers I've spoken with are in awe of Billy.

Suppose it just goes to show I'm jaded. I remember reading through the jazz thread on this forum and thinking I have no clue who 90% of these cats are. The 1st time I heard Tony (back in the early 90s) it was on a local prog rock late night radio show. KERA/90.1 out of Denton used to have this prog rock loving DJ on Saturday nights who played mostly (but not limited to) avant prog (Magma, Henry Cow, Thinking Plague, etc). One time he played a track from Tony called "Inspirations of Love" and I remember being blown away by Tony's playing. At that time, I'd never heard anything like what he was doing. He was playing with such rock-like aggression and finesse all around the beat (in front/ behind) but never losing time. I hadn't listened to many jazz drummers so I had no concept of these almost poly-rhythmic floating phrases over the beat. That sort of thing leaves an impression on a young mind.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 03:40:59 PM »
I'm going to check out that song!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »
I'm going to check out that song!
I'm probably conflating some things regarding his playing (cheating memory and all). I do remember shortly after hearing this being intrigued enough to locate a copy of the Tony William's Lifetime Collection CD, containing both albums "Believe It" and "Million Dollar Legs". I think "Believe It" quickly became one of my favorite albums.

Stanley Clarke's 1st solo album has a piece called "Lopsy Lu" which I think better highlights Tony grooving in the pocket. The tune "Power" from that same album also features a killer groove. To bring things back around to within 2 degree of separation to Jordan's story in the interview....Stanley's album features a keyboard player named... Jan Hammer.