Author Topic: New Jordan Rudess Interview!  (Read 6786 times)

Offline Lupton

Re: New Jordan Rudess Interview!
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2020, 02:11:06 AM »
I'm late to the fusion party, but I must agree RW was my favorite RTF album as well. They never really replaced Al...after he left it's just not the same. Still good for sure, but something definitely felt like it was missing.
I might need to revisit Where Have I Known as well now that it got mentioned here.

Dude. You should check out Where Have I Known. Of the 3 DiMeola albums I've always felt it was the best (that's just me!). So surprised its not better known. If you're a fan of Al with RTF its not something to miss.

Offline the_silent_man

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2020, 02:48:37 AM »
Where have I known you before is also my favourite. I just love the piano interludes breaking up the main songs as well.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »
Where have I known you before is also my favourite. I just love the piano interludes breaking up the main songs as well.

Amen to that! Love how the Rudess interview thread has turned into a fusion jazz thread.  :lol

Believe it or not, I'm actually wearing a Tony Williams tee shirt as I type this that shows the cover of the album...Believe It.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2020, 05:18:42 PM »

Amen to that! Love how the Rudess interview thread has turned into a fusion jazz thread.  :lol

Believe it or not, I'm actually wearing a Tony Williams tee shirt as I type this that shows the cover of the album...Believe It.

I'm sure Jordan would approve of his thread being hijacked by Jazz-Fusion!

Believe It is a pretty cool album too.   

This thread reminds me I still need to listen to Where Have I  Known You Before.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2020, 07:22:11 PM »

This thread reminds me I still need to listen to Where Have I  Known You Before.

Cool. Glad to see you're still interested! That one, along with No Mystery and Romantic Warrior are the only 3 records with DiMeola on guitar, so they all hold a very special place for me. I'll admit I'm not as thrilled with No Mystery, as there is some stuff on there that I could live without..but I think its probably just personal preferences anyhow. Cheers!

Offline Lupton

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »
Feeling a bit guilty about taking over this thread, so I wanted to point out that I bought Jordan's 'Feeding The Wheel' CD when it came out (all those years ago now :eek) and I must say I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it. It's really great! Love the opening cut "Quantum Soup". Contains a riff which sounds related to the LTE Quantum tune -- its that riff which sounds like its taken from Dimeola's "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway". At that time I may have even enjoyed it more than the following DT release (6 degrees) when it came out. Took me much longer to warm to that album...probably because Jordan's solo release had built up my expectations so high. And indeed, Jordan's work it is more fusion-y than DT.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2020, 10:04:51 PM »
Feeding The Wheel is a fantastic album all around, as is his follow up Rhythm of Time. The only thing that bothers me a bit on FTW is the way the drums are mixed, I would not say that is optimal. But other than that, lots of great stuff.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
Feeding The Wheel is a fantastic album all around, as is his follow up Rhythm of Time. The only thing that bothers me a bit on FTW is the way the drums are mixed, I would not say that is optimal. But other than that, lots of great stuff.

Yeah the drums sound somewhat buried in the mix to my ears. They need more omph. It's not bad enough to ruin the listening experience for me though.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2020, 12:51:25 AM »
Definitely not, I still love the album regardless. I would rather them sound the way they do than overly processed/triggered, that's for sure!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2020, 06:35:22 PM »

Cool. Glad to see you're still interested! That one, along with No Mystery and Romantic Warrior are the only 3 records with DiMeola on guitar, so they all hold a very special place for me. I'll admit I'm not as thrilled with No Mystery, as there is some stuff on there that I could live without..but I think its probably just personal preferences anyhow. Cheers!

Finally listened to this a few weeks back and it was much better than I remembered it. You were right.  Thanks for getting me to revisit it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2020, 06:37:08 PM »
Feeling a bit guilty about taking over this thread, so I wanted to point out that I bought Jordan's 'Feeding The Wheel' CD when it came out (all those years ago now :eek) and I must say I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it. It's really great! Love the opening cut "Quantum Soup". Contains a riff which sounds related to the LTE Quantum tune -- its that riff which sounds like its taken from Dimeola's "Race with the Devil on a Spanish Highway". At that time I may have even enjoyed it more than the following DT release (6 degrees) when it came out. Took me much longer to warm to that album...probably because Jordan's solo release had built up my expectations so high. And indeed, Jordan's work it is more fusion-y than DT.

I've always hoped they would let him do more in the band, but at least he keeps releasing amazing solo albums.

Offline Lupton

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 06:01:39 PM »

Finally listened to this a few weeks back and it was much better than I remembered it. You were right.  Thanks for getting me to revisit it.

Glad you liked that one! That one and RW are the two RTF records that probably get the most spins from me. Definitely gets into "desert island" territory for me.