Poll

Are you a fan of Malmsteen?

Yes
18 (47.4%)
No
20 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: POLL: Malmsteen - YAY or NAY?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: POLL: Malmsteen - YAY or NAY?
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2019, 01:30:59 PM »
His playing during Steeler- Alcatrazz through Trilogy was just plain phenomenal , especially experiencing it at the time. Like most of my musical hero's he has made some bad choices and why he is not as well received as he could be ( unleash the fury ). But 1983-1987 Yngwie , hell yes .

Yup. I remember release of Alcatrazz and the time.

Yup   it was a magical time in metal
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
Alcatrazz had a great sound. The keys, bass, and drums all really worked well together.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline max_security

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 01:39:12 PM »
The studio version of " Bigfoot " ( Alcatrazz ) is just freaky man , that muted alternate picking thing he does throughout the song is cool af. Hearing that tune is like being stoned without doing anything , lol. Or it's me flashing back I don't know , but is a cool - weird tune.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »
Mixed feelings on Malmsteen -

"Rising Force" is a masterpiece - a pivotal moment in guitar music. No one can take that away from him.

Alcatrazz - "No Parole from Rock N Roll" is also classic.

The rest? Sorry, second rate 80's shlock...some impressive shredding and an occasional good tune but hasn't really stood the test of time. To be fair, "Marching Out" through "Eclipse" can be fun but I certainly wouldn't recommend them to anyone who doesn't play guitar. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 01:45:37 PM »
I would recommend Marching Out to anyone. Especially to those that enjoy modern day European/Nordic Power Metal.
That album is a landmark album of the genre. I think the vocals are incredible.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2019, 02:20:32 PM »
I would recommend Marching Out to anyone. Especially to those that enjoy modern day European/Nordic Power Metal.
That album is a landmark album of the genre. I think the vocals are incredible.

I mean Marching Out is probably the least egregious of the bunch. I just can't get behind Jeff Scott Soto. He's technically good, but it's just sooo 80s.

And not good 80s like a 1985 Ferrari Testarossa. More like a Hot Pink Pontiac Firebird with cheetah print interior. I mean, both have their place, and I'd drive both, I'm just not gonna brag to my friends about the latter, if ya catch my drift.

Totally my opinion, though. I get the appeal. 35 years ago I would have said I loved the album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2019, 02:25:22 PM »
It's hard to believe that it is the same guy on Marching Out as it is on Sons Of Apollo. It really is. I consider Marching Out one of my all time vocal performances.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2019, 05:48:21 AM »
I've got to give Marching Out another listen.  It's a great record, probably my second or third favorite Malmsteen record, but it's in spite of Soto, not because of him. 

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2019, 06:19:15 AM »
Saw him live about 12 years ago. Bjorn playing bass (my buddy's bass teacher) and Tim The Ripper on Vocals.  The backing band was great, but Malmsteen was just... annoying.

SOOOO my answer is NO
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 01:57:41 PM »
I took a guitar playing mate to see Yngwie in the 90s and he felt the same way. He hated it. He was in full Blackmore mode, hardly playing the rhythm parts, just noodling away over the vocals the whole time.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 03:04:59 PM »
Marching Out is great.  I Am A Viking is brilliant and Soldier Without Faith rips.  Don't Let it End is good to for something different.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 06:59:44 PM »
I’m with most of you I think in that I liked his earlier stuff, Marching Out is great and fell in love with JSS on that album, then lost track of JSS until he teamed up with Axel Rudi Pell, another awesome player. Have fallen of Yngwie’s stuff in recent years, Facing The Animal being the last album I really liked. Favourite albums from memory were Marching Out, Odyssey, Fire & Ice and Seventh Sign.