Poll

Are you a fan of Malmsteen?

Yes
18 (47.4%)
No
20 (52.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: POLL: Malmsteen - YAY or NAY?  (Read 1836 times)

Offline WildRanger

POLL: Malmsteen - YAY or NAY?
« on: November 07, 2019, 06:40:31 AM »
Malmsteen is widely regardes as one of the best shred guitarists. But would you call yourself a fan of Yngwie Malmsteen and his guitar work/music or not?
What do you find appealing or unappealing about him?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: POLL: Malmsteen - YAY or NAY?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2019, 08:34:02 AM »
Marching Out was one of my favorite and most played albums as a lad. Rising Force, as well. Nothing he's done sense them has done anything for me.  I wouldn't call myself a fan now, but I certainly was back when it was fresh.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 08:38:53 AM »
Not a fan at all. (that being said, this only applies to his records I know about and they are only 2 or 3, although some sections of his Concerto for Guitar and Orchestra in Eb minor are somewhat listenable to me) To each their own though, if you like what he does, great. I'm more of a Steve Vai fan myself.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:48:13 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:13 AM »
I LOVE the first album, like the second (not a huge fan of Soto's singing, to be honest). I REALLY like the Concerto.   I saw him recently in a small theater, 500 people, and... it was quintessential Malmsteen.  Which is to say, when the guy plays, and plays sincerely, it's amazing. Unbelievable.   It just borders on cheese too often for me.  When I saw him, he was playing like it was Wembley Stadium, kicking picks to the crowd (I was front row, and I left with easily 10 picks and we made sure that everyone around us got at least one).   He had 54 - I counted them - Marshall heads (of which I think four were lit) and 14 stacks of monitors along the back.  He had 90% of the stage to himself; the drummer, bass player and keyboard player/singer were all stage right, crammed into a line along the side of the stage.   The keyboard/singer was a dork; he seemingly appeared ready to fellate Yngwie at any moment, and that seemed odd from a bandmate. 

But it's undeniable that he is a talented guitar player.  It just depends if you like that style and format. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 09:37:20 AM »
Nothing I have ever heard from him interested me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:45:40 AM »
I like him , met him with JSS back on the first tour after Alcatraz in about 1982-83 ( cant remember lol ) , hes actually a very nice person,,,he changed a bit after the car accident .  His music is sometimes not hooky enough and too formula but the mans maybe the best ever to pick up a 6 string and can do anything,
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 10:08:39 AM »
Pre 2000, absolutely yes. He was god when he burst on the scene. He livened up a standard LA metal album with Steeler, Killed it with Alcatrazz and his first solo album changed guitar playing like Jimi and Eddie did.

Since 2000, his albums have been shit, and get worse as they go along.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 10:59:18 AM »
Fan.  Those first four or five albums were fresh and energetic, especially that first album. Full of epic majesty and pomp.  After Odyssey with Joe Lynn Turner (which absolutely rocked), not so much. 

Symphony X owes their existence to Yngwie IMO. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline emtee

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:36 AM »
Many great songs spread across several albums.

Live In Leningrad is one of my all time favorite live albums.
Song after rocking song, with Joe Lynn Turner at his peak.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
Marching Out was one of my favorite and most played albums as a lad. Rising Force, as well. Nothing he's done sense them has done anything for me.  I wouldn't call myself a fan now, but I certainly was back when it was fresh.

This is pretty close to my feelings, but I wasn't nearly as much of a fan back in the day.  He was, I think, innovative and the first of his kind to gain wide recognition.  However, at the end of the day, he and his band had a couple cool songs and that's about it.  That said, I recall Marching Out being one of the first CDs I bought when I started buying CDs instead of vinyl records.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2019, 11:26:19 AM »
One of the greatest guitarists in the world who could actually write a song.  He's simply a guitar freak.  Big big fan here.  Legend if you ask me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2019, 12:01:17 PM »
Nope.

Though I 100% understand why someone would be. I think, for me, it's just a matter of how/when I was exposed to him.

I had heard the name but never really checked him for a really long time. I had already become big fans of Symphony X and all of the bands that essentially copied many of his styles/tricks. It was also at an age where I could find 100000 youtube guitarists who could shred all day long. So by the time I listened to Yngwie, he just seemed boring to me. Like I said, just circumstance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2019, 12:02:26 PM »
Nothing I have ever heard from him interested me.
This.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2019, 12:28:16 PM »

Me as well.  I think I just fell out of liking him after the 3rd album with Joe Lynn Turner.  He became "samey" to me and I just stopped following him.  I did see him open for Triumph and he was very good live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 01:12:55 PM »
Fan.  Those first four or five albums were fresh and energetic, especially that first album. Full of epic majesty and pomp.  After Odyssey with Joe Lynn Turner (which absolutely rocked), not so much. 
I'd say that this sums it up pretty well for me, although I haven't paid attention to anything he's done since his covers album 20+ years ago, so I dunno if that really classifies me as a fan.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 01:33:00 PM »
I really like everything up to Alchemy.  The Ripper albums were quite good too.  He went off the rails after Ripper though unfortunately.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2019, 06:37:43 PM »
I LOVE the first album, like the second (not a huge fan of Soto's singing, to be honest).

I consider Marching Out to be one of my Top 5 Vocal performances. JSS is ridiculous on it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 07:06:49 PM »
I think I had Malmsteen's Marching Out/Odyssey tied for a spot in my DTF top 50.............great player until he totally forgot what it's like to inject some melody into the equation.  I am a big fan of everything up to Odyssey , less so through to the Seventh Sign and haven't taken much notice from there.  Some of what I have heard has been pretty diabolical.

As a person........everything indicates that he is an A-grade tool.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »

This is pretty close to my feelings, but I wasn't nearly as much of a fan back in the day.  He was, I think, innovative and the first of his kind to gain wide recognition.  However, at the end of the day, he and his band had a couple cool songs and that's about it.  That said, I recall Marching Out being one of the first CDs I bought when I started buying CDs instead of vinyl records.

I tend to agree with all the above..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2019, 10:01:05 AM »
Big nay. Incredibly boring
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 10:51:08 AM »
I think I had Malmsteen's Marching Out/Odyssey tied for a spot in my DTF top 50.............great player until he totally forgot what it's like to inject some melody into the equation.  I am a big fan of everything up to Odyssey , less so through to the Seventh Sign and haven't taken much notice from there.  Some of what I have heard has been pretty diabolical.

Have you played Facing The Animal Brent? That was a great and diverse (for Yngwie) album. Plenty of melodic and even more astounding, he put some thought into the compositions. First track isn’t great but the rest is great. After that, it’s been shite.

I enjoyed Seventh Sign and Magnum Opus on the whole.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 11:29:09 AM »
Great songwriting on Facing the Animal.

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 11:36:21 AM »
The only albums I've heard are "Relentless" and the concerto suite, they're enjoyable and they have some great songs. But that's it, I haven't heard anything else.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 01:41:55 PM »
The only albums I've heard are "Relentless" and the concerto suite, they're enjoyable and they have some great songs. But that's it, I haven't heard anything else.

If you think Relentless is decent then you should check out his older stuff mate.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 04:38:27 PM »

Have you played Facing The Animal Brent? That was a great and diverse (for Yngwie) album. Plenty of melodic and even more astounding, he put some thought into the compositions. First track isn’t great but the rest is great. After that, it’s been shite.

I have Facing The Animal on CD - possibly the last one I bought on CD.  I probably should revisit as I gave up on it pretty quick and everyone else seems to rate it.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 04:40:55 PM »

I have Facing The Animal on CD - possibly the last one I bought on CD.  I probably should revisit as I gave up on it pretty quick and everyone else seems to rate it.

I revisited it not too long ago and liked it much more than I remember.  Not many duds on there and some really strong ones.  Alchemy was always my favourite, but I know that's an unpopular opinion.  Both Yngwie and Mark tear shit up on that record.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 04:47:31 PM »
Been a fan for 20 years now. He doesn't crack my top 10 artists/bands list, but he is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I own and enjoy every album from Rising Force to The Seventh Sign. Attack! was a pleasant surprise.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 04:48:43 PM »
Been a fan for 20 years now. He doesn't crack my top 10 artists/bands list, but he is a bit of a guilty pleasure. I own and enjoy every album from Rising Force to The Seventh Sign. Attack! was a pleasant surprise.

Attack! was very consistent indeed.  Considering the amount of songs too, it had staying power.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 08:16:16 PM »
This is so amazing   45 minutes of sheer magic
Alcatrazz live in 84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0a_oG121a8

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 10:24:52 AM »
 :tup

I saw Graham Bonnet live a few weeks ago with Joe Stump on guitar, doing a very passable Yngwie impression on the Alcatrazz songs. Stump has based his whole thing on being Yngwie and he does it well. He was even playing through an Yngwie overdrive.

Offline max_security

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 01:00:47 PM »
His playing during Steeler- Alcatrazz through Trilogy was just plain phenomenal , especially experiencing it at the time. Like most of my musical hero's he has made some bad choices and why he is not as well received as he could be ( unleash the fury ). But 1983-1987 Yngwie , hell yes .

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 01:06:25 PM »
There's an Alcatrazz box set floating around out there with the first album in both vocal and instrumental version, the live album (with the complete show) and a DVD of that show and another one (the Vai and Johnson material is on there as well).

It's pretty strong stuff. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2019, 01:13:21 PM »
His playing during Steeler- Alcatrazz through Trilogy was just plain phenomenal , especially experiencing it at the time. Like most of my musical hero's he has made some bad choices and why he is not as well received as he could be ( unleash the fury ). But 1983-1987 Yngwie , hell yes .

Yup. I remember release of Alcatrazz and the time.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
 :metal
:tup

I saw Graham Bonnet live a few weeks ago with Joe Stump on guitar, doing a very passable Yngwie impression on the Alcatrazz songs. Stump has based his whole thing on being Yngwie and he does it well. He was even playing through an Yngwie overdrive.
:metal

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
There's an Alcatrazz box set floating around out there with the first album in both vocal and instrumental version, the live album (with the complete show) and a DVD of that show and another one (the Vai and Johnson material is on there as well).

It's pretty strong stuff.

good stuff looking back for sure