Author Topic: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(  (Read 12235 times)

Online gazinwales

Re: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2021, 03:26:23 PM »
I always liked the vocals and as with all extreme vox, I just listen to them as another instrument within the music.
Alexi and Janne when they did their guitar/keys duel shredding, incredible.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2021, 03:33:13 PM »
he was my introduction to scream/growl metal. Or even metal in general.
Me too, they were literally the first metal band I got into. I must have been 16 I think and a friend burned Hatebreeder and Reaper (minus a track from each) onto a CD for me and it completely opened me up to heavy music that I'd never been able to get into before that. Undoubtedly a huge influence on metal, but also personally on me and my music discovery.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2021, 03:36:00 PM »
I always liked the vocals and as with all extreme vox, I just listen to them as another instrument within the music.
Alexi and Janne when they did their guitar/keys duel shredding, incredible.

We meant Kimberleys vocals, she just never did it for me.  I always loved Alexi's  and as I said, I'm pretty confident that Follow the Reaper was the song that made me fall in love with harsh vocals.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2021, 03:36:25 PM »
he was my introduction to scream/growl metal. Or even metal in general.
Me too, they were literally the first metal band I got into. I must have been 16 I think and a friend burned Hatebreeder and Reaper (minus a track from each) onto a CD for me and it completely opened me up to heavy music that I'd never been able to get into before that. Undoubtedly a huge influence on metal, but also personally on me and my music discovery.

:tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2021, 03:36:42 PM »
Yeah, Kade, and I appreciated that. I bought a number of their albums. They had a great style musically, and while I was not crazy over the vocals, musically they were amazing. He was really a gifted musician.

The vocals are why I never really got into them either.  Pulling out their cd's again gave me a new appreciation for them though.

Sinergy? It's actually amazing to me the change in her vocals from the first album to the 2nd and 3rd. She was quite delicate and restrained on that first album and then said "Let me try just going balls to the wall" on the second and then just went full unhinged on the 3rd. I don't like their first album QUITE as much since it's trying a bit too hard to be generic power metal and you can tell that wasn't their passion. I'm glad they really found themselves after.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2021, 03:39:25 PM »
Yeah, Kade, and I appreciated that. I bought a number of their albums. They had a great style musically, and while I was not crazy over the vocals, musically they were amazing. He was really a gifted musician.

The vocals are why I never really got into them either.  Pulling out their cd's again gave me a new appreciation for them though.

Sinergy? It's actually amazing to me the change in her vocals from the first album to the 2nd and 3rd. She was quite delicate and restrained on that first album and then said "Let me try just going balls to the wall" on the second and then just went full unhinged on the 3rd. I don't like their first album QUITE as much since it's trying a bit too hard to be generic power metal and you can tell that wasn't their passion. I'm glad they really found themselves after.
I agree, second and third albums were great and her voice was fab when she went all out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: January 04, 2021, 04:00:40 PM »
Yeah as I said, Suicide was great to revisit and I did like her vocals more than I did in the past.  I just am not much of a fan of female vox in general anyway so it's more my issue.

Listening to Hatebreeder again.  So good, that outro to Towards Dead End is insane.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #77 on: January 04, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »
Whatever happened to Kimberly? Haven't seen or heard anything from her in a long time.
Dug out my 'Beware The Heavens' CD and saw Kim and Alexi's autograph on the cover, can't remember when I got them to sign it, I am bloody old  :xbones

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2021, 04:21:30 PM »
She put out a really nice statement about Alexi also.  Not sure what she's been doing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2021, 04:22:21 PM »
Last I heard, which was a while ago, I think she was a teacher in Chicago. Maybe a music teacher?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #80 on: January 04, 2021, 05:31:25 PM »
Listening to Hatebreeder again.  So good, that outro to Towards Dead End is insane.

Hatebreeder is a rare 10/10 album for me. Every track is pure gold. As stated earlier in the thread I can't believe how young Alexi was when he was composing and performing these great tunes. This and Follow The Reaper have some of the cleanest lead guitar work I've ever heard, just incredible technique. He wrote many of my favourite guitar solos. He had a great talent for composing a solo that wasn't just a kind of flashy instrumental break in the song; instead they took the song from one point to the next while managing to be extremely melodic (Sixpounder is a great example).

Been watching the Live in Stockholm DVD this evening. Such an amazing talent, gone so young.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2021, 06:06:40 PM »
Had a nice walk to the beach this morning, my soundtrack was Hatebreeder and Reaper.
Both are virtually inseparable for me as far as songs go, it's the slightly better production on FTR that pushes in front.
That said the 2020 Svart Records vinyl re-issues of the first four albums sound amazing and a definite improvement on the sound of the CD's.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2021, 06:41:07 PM »
[I don't like their first album QUITE as much since it's trying a bit too hard to be generic power metal and you can tell that wasn't their passion. I'm glad they really found themselves after.

That album does not sound like generic power metal to me at all.  It's the only record of theirs that Jesper Stromblad from In Flames played on.  There is so much of that classic In Flames sound scattered throughout the songs, and hearing Alexi and Jesper playing together is awesome - two killer guitarists going off on these runs and leads. 

I actually prefer the first album to the others for that reason alone.  It's like an extra classic In Flames album.  On the flip-side, Suicide by my Side actually comes off as generic to me, since it lacks that extra influence in the music that the debut has. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 06:51:11 PM by Grappler »

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
Had a nice walk to the beach this morning, my soundtrack was Hatebreeder and Reaper.
Both are virtually inseparable for me as far as songs go, it's the slightly better production on FTR that pushes in front.
That said the 2020 Svart Records vinyl re-issues of the first four albums sound amazing and a definite improvement on the sound of the CD's.

Those two albums are so brilliant in my opinion - especially considering their ages when they were released. I just got my Follow the Reaper vinyl a bit over a week ago.

Still hasn't settled in that Alexi is gone. 14 year old me is gutted. Him and John Petrucci were it for me.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #84 on: January 04, 2021, 09:15:49 PM »
Last I heard, which was a while ago, I think she was a teacher in Chicago. Maybe a music teacher?
I think the last thing she did in music was some lyrics for CoB's Blooddrunk album.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2021, 11:24:19 PM »

Those two albums are so brilliant in my opinion - especially considering their ages when they were released. I just got my Follow the Reaper vinyl a bit over a week ago.

Still hasn't settled in that Alexi is gone. 14 year old me is gutted. Him and John Petrucci were it for me.

Same.  This one is hitting me pretty hard.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2021, 11:32:23 PM »
Looking at Alexi's facebook things were very active with the new band.  A few posts in December too, so very active of late also.  :'(

Online gazinwales

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2021, 11:40:30 PM »
Yeah they have recently shot a promo video for their then upcoming single/EP.
Could be a while before we see or hear this release.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2021, 12:43:34 AM »
I'll be spinning Hatebreeder, Reaper and Hexed this morning.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2021, 01:06:34 AM »
Like I said, I'm not a big CoB fan but I decided to spin their final album Hexed yesterday.

I was pleasantly surprised! A very solid Melodeath album.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2021, 02:26:07 AM »
This thread has more than doubled in just a day. That goes to show how influential the band was to a lot of us here.

I posted on the last page that 'I spun the shit out of Hatebreeder' in high school, but it was more than that. It was probably the album that got me interested in becoming good at guitar, after discovering Metallica & Iron Maiden and before discovering Dream Theater. It was not this album that made me appreciate growls (that was Blackwater Park by Opeth), but the melodeath vocals on Hatebreeder made me appreciate those in a metal context, after having listened to The Fall of Troy religiously the years before (compare the two; Thomas Erak on Doppelgänger sound like a toned-down Alexi Laihoo on Hatebreeder!).

Hatebreeder opened the door to other melodic death metal and I would listen to the first albums by In Flames a lot. I think in hindsight, the combination of melodic death metal and later prog led me to appreciate bands like Between the Buried and Me as well.

Even though I've never mentioned them here, nor have I ever put them in a 'Top XX Albums' list on these forums, Hatebreeder in particular holds a special place, even though I haven't heard it in at least 10 years.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2021, 03:02:21 AM »

I used to listen to "Are You Dead Yet" on repeat when that album came out but i've not really checked out anything since.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2021, 04:13:18 AM »

I used to listen to "Are You Dead Yet" on repeat when that album came out but i've not really checked out anything since.

Are You Dead Yet is brilliant.  It's not far off the quality level of the three before it IMO.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2021, 04:16:00 AM »
Hatebreeder opened the door to other melodic death metal and I would listen to the first albums by In Flames a lot. I think in hindsight, the combination of melodic death metal and later prog led me to appreciate bands like Between the Buried and Me as well.

This is pretty much me too.  It was Follow the Reaper but In Flames and Soilwork weren't far behind and then it grew from there.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2021, 06:45:49 AM »
Quote from: Steve Lukather
Very sad... I was a fan.

Kinda cool seeing him as a fan.

I remember back in the day hearing Bodom Beach Terror on a compilation CD and just had to learn the drumpart. So Hate Crew Deathroll was the first album I listened too and it's still my favourite although I have honestly lost track of COB over the years.

I shall blast HCD in your honour Alexi!  :metal

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2021, 10:25:56 AM »
This thread has more than doubled in just a day. That goes to show how influential the band was to a lot of us here.

I posted on the last page that 'I spun the shit out of Hatebreeder' in high school, but it was more than that. It was probably the album that got me interested in becoming good at guitar, after discovering Metallica & Iron Maiden and before discovering Dream Theater. It was not this album that made me appreciate growls (that was Blackwater Park by Opeth), but the melodeath vocals on Hatebreeder made me appreciate those in a metal context, after having listened to The Fall of Troy religiously the years before (compare the two; Thomas Erak on Doppelgänger sound like a toned-down Alexi Laihoo on Hatebreeder!).

Even though I've never mentioned them here, nor have I ever put them in a 'Top XX Albums' list on these forums, Hatebreeder in particular holds a special place, even though I haven't heard it in at least 10 years.

I love this! We had a nearly identical music trajectory. The only one I didn't listen to is The Fall of Troy - perhaps I need to check them out.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »
The more time I've had to reflect on this the bigger the impact I realised it's had. Alexi was only 4 years older than me and Children of Bodom were more important to me than I realised, the more I've thought about it.

Before going any further I just want to say I apologise about an earlier comment I made in this thread, which kinda just made sweeping statements about Alexi's life and demons he may or may not have had. I haven't really kept up with him, especially over the last 10-12 years, so it was unfair to make assumptions about his life, and death.

CoB were my gateway to so much extreme metal. Before them, I'd been obsessed with Metallica, which led to Megadeth and ultimately Pantera (probably about 6 months before I heard CoB). Pantera were the most extreme vocals I'd ever exposed myself to at that point in time (this was early '04, and I was 20).

The summer of '04 I made a few new lifelong friends and I remember one of them introducing me to CoB. I can vividly remember the moment. I was sat at our local pub and he had his mp3 player with him. He was like "My cousin sent me a few songs by this band, you'll probably like it". He put the headphones in my ears and I was lucky enough to hear the live version (from Tokyo Warhearts) of Lake Bodom. This shit just had my jaw on the floor. I immediately gave him my mp3 player and asked him to take it home with him and put more of this band on it for me. My friend didn't even know what the band were called, just "Children something".

CoB were the first band that I had to kinda force myself to like harsh vocals with. I just loved the music so much that I just thought, 'I've got to just get used to this'.

Around the same time that I got into them another friend also got into them. He downloaded their back catalogue up to that point (first 4 albums and Tokyo Warhearts) and burnt them all onto CD for me. Man, I didn't even know the song titles, which songs were from which album, I just devoured them. At the end of that year I bought myself a 20gb mp3 player as I'd discovered so much music I needed an upgrade. That was when I was really able to just binge CoB.

I got big into melodeath, with bands like In Flames, also stuff like Lamb of God, Trivium and all those sorts of bands coming out at that time.

CoB's mix of power/thrash/death metal with it's neo classical edge was like anything else I'd heard and Alexi was just the closest thing I'd ever come to having a guitar hero. His solo trade offs with Janne Wirman were just awesome and me and my buddy Chris saw them live many times.

When Are You Dead Yet? came out I was unsure about the direction they'd gone but it became one of my faves by them. Unfortunately for me, everything they released after that just felt like a step down and for me they never reached the heights of those first 5 albums. If I ever did a top 50 albums then Hatebreeder through to Are You Dead Yet? would all be in there.

I'm relistening through all their albums and man, they were just so good. Friends of mine who got them, and were into them, loved them immensely, everyone else I knew just didn't like them at all.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2021, 01:47:01 PM »
Great story mate.  Insane how influential they were for all of us, especially as a gateway into harsh vocals.

Online gazinwales

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2021, 03:00:50 PM »
I'd say those 'awkward' middle albums such as 'Blooddrunk' and 'Reckless' are the only low points for me.
'Halo' had it's moments, but 'Chaos' was a huge return to form and 'Hexed' was like welcoming a long lost friend.
I admit that I really didn't like 'AYDY' at all for many years and then one day I put it on and everything clicked for me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2021, 03:10:49 PM »
Yeah, I thought I Worship Chaos was quite excellent.  I never understood the flak it copped.  Hexed was wonderful.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2021, 03:15:28 PM »
I'd say those 'awkward' middle albums such as 'Blooddrunk' and 'Reckless' are the only low points for me.
'Halo' had it's moments, but 'Chaos' was a huge return to form and 'Hexed' was like welcoming a long lost friend.
I admit that I really didn't like 'AYDY' at all for many years and then one day I put it on and everything clicked for me.

I'll be getting to Chaos and Hexed this week. I'm pretty sure I've only listened to those two albums a maximum of twice each. Wasn't overly impressed by anything I heard at the time but it'll be interesting to revisit them.

I think for me, knowing how good they were at their best I just want their newer albums to be as good as Hatebreeder/Reaper.

Edit: Also just wanted to add, Suicide by My Side is fucking stellar and I played that to death back in the day, some great songs on that album. Can't say I loved anything else Sinergy did.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:22:31 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online gazinwales

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2021, 03:17:11 PM »
I love the rawer sound, having Karmila come back to produce them again was huge factor in this album sounding so good.
BTW the Japanese version has four killer bonus covers, 'Danger Zone, 'Cruel Summer', 'Black Winter Day' and 'Mistress Of Taboo'.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2021, 06:06:24 PM »
Massive fan of Blooddrunk by the way. I know it's not one of their most popular albums, it moves away slightly from the 'classical' influences of the earlier ones, but I love it anyway. Done With Everything, Die For Nothing is my vote for most underrated Bodom track (possibly tied with All For Nothing), and other tunes on the album like Lobodomy and Banned From Heaven (their best 'ballad' in my opinion) are Bodom classics to me.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »
Massive fan of Blooddrunk by the way. I know it's not one of their most popular albums, it moves away slightly from the 'classical' influences of the earlier ones, but I love it anyway. Done With Everything, Die For Nothing is my vote for most underrated Bodom track (possibly tied with All For Nothing), and other tunes on the album like Lobodomy and Banned From Heaven (their best 'ballad' in my opinion) are Bodom classics to me.

I'm looking forward to revisit this one actually.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2021, 08:28:12 PM »
Kimberly Goss (singer from Sinergy and Alexi's ex wife) has just created an Instagram account to share some pics and stories from back in the day.

https://www.instagram.com/kimvoxrox/

I don't have an Instagram account so I can't see much. Maybe someone else can share?