Author Topic: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(  (Read 12206 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official Children of Bodom thread
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2021, 03:15:36 AM »
 :tdwn

Whilst I wasn't a fan - I did listen to " Are You Dead Yet " pretty much on repeat.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2021, 03:18:39 AM »
I'm bloody gutted big fan, met him and drank with him a few years back  :'(

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2021, 03:22:30 AM »
Gutted.

Children of Bodom were a huge deal to me in the early 00's, and were considered my #3 favourite band for such a long time. He was incredibly gifted but also incredibly troubled. I haven't really loved an album of theirs since Are You Dead Yet? But those first 5 albums are just on another level! That was pretty much all down to Alexi as far as I'm aware, he was at his creative peak.

My old flatmate and I, back in the early 00's had a shrine to him in our flat, and called him sexy Alexi. He was one of a kind.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2021, 03:30:15 AM »
Not a fan but good grief, what a tragedy. He was just seven months older than me. I can only imagine what it's like for longtime fans  :'(
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 04:06:40 AM »
OMG!  :'(

Can't believe what I just read, I feel sick.  So young, so talented.  :mehlin  :'(

Bodom was one of my introductions to harsh vocals.  Hatebreeder, Reaper and Hatecrew were staples in my teenage years.  Gutted.  :'(
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The official Children of Bodom thread v. RIP Alexi Laiho :(
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2021, 04:25:43 AM »
Sad news.

I'm not a big fan of COB but what I heard was great.

Not a fan but good grief, what a tragedy. He was just seven months older than me. I can only imagine what it's like for longtime fans  :'(

He's nine years younger than me, people shouldn't die at such an early age.  :sad:
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2021, 05:31:57 AM »
Just awful.  I've been listening to his music since I discovered Hatebreeder 21-22 years ago.  I was looking forward to hearing new music from him - I'm glad that I saw COB open for Iced Earth in 2004.  That was the only time I saw them live.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2021, 06:28:04 AM »
What the fuck
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2021, 06:32:02 AM »
Oh WOW!  :|
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2021, 06:39:16 AM »
I spun the shit out of Hatebreeder in high school.

This is insane.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2021, 06:42:02 AM »
Absolutely gutted. Children of Bodom were/are my favourite metal band and Alexi was one of my musical idols. Incredibly sad news.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2021, 07:12:49 AM »
Wow, waaaaay too young. Sad to hear he had long term health issues. He/Children of Bodom made some killer tunes.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2021, 07:25:28 AM »
Since no cause of death has been mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a suicide.
Squ

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2021, 07:29:37 AM »
Since no cause of death has been mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out to be a suicide.

The news talk about deteriorating health since some years. On FB I saw a guy commenting "you could see he didn't look good".

I don't like to speculate on situations I don't know, but maybe too much booze screwed up his liver or another vital organ?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2021, 10:57:51 AM »

Yeah about the same. I just turned 42. I still feel like a teenager. 41 is not old in the slightest.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2021, 11:27:11 AM »
I don't care for the band at all but 42 is pretty damned young to be dying  :(    I read that he had "significant health challenges" over the years, whatever that means.  RIP dude

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2021, 12:50:59 PM »
He's always been pretty troubled, likely suffered from depression and I think he tried to commit suicide a long time ago. Pretty sure he's also been a functioning alcoholic for close to 20 years. I worry it's one of those sad cases where to do the thing he loved (play his music around the world) he had to put himself in a toxic environment (on tour). I always got the impression he had a bit of an addictive personality and would just be in party mode whilst on tour.

This is just all my impression based on interviews, seeing them live many times and seeing live videos etc.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2021, 01:02:31 PM »
He definitely was into the booze and you can see the last few years he looked quite sick in some cases.  I wouldn't be surprised if he just couldn't cut the booze and maybe it finally caught up with him but who knows.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2021, 01:19:21 PM »
Enough of this mindless speculation already!
Alexi had cleaned up his act in the last few years, got married to an Aussie girl, was a step dad and spending a lot of time in rural Australia (Ballarat)
Yes his recent promo pictures didn't look good, apparently it's being reported he died from heart related complications.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2021, 01:28:19 PM »
Now this one came unexpected, to me anyways.

I never really enjoyed much of CoB, but missed seeing them live on Gigantour 3, I know I would've enjoyed them live.

Alexi had cleaned up his act in the last few years, got married to an Aussie girl, was a step dad and spending a lot of time in rural Australia (Ballarat)
Yes his recent promo pictures didn't look good, apparently it's being reported he died from heart related complications.

Damn. Knowing this, could be that it all just caught up with him. After cleaning up, depending on how bad you were, you can still develop complications, sometimes not even knowing until it's too late.

It's sad regardless.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 01:34:48 PM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2021, 01:30:00 PM »

Sorry mate, was actually just reading all that myself. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
I guess it's easy to put two and two together but we don't know and unfortunately it doesn't really matter now as Alexi is gone.  I know what I'll be jamming on the way to work today.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2021, 01:33:21 PM »
he was my introduction to scream/growl metal. Or even metal in general.

I played in a metalband where we covered about 7 songs from CoB as well. Always wanted to see him live once, but never got the chance..

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »

All good mate it wasn't aimed at you in particular, more so the other garbage spawning here :)
But yes I suspect his decades of rock'n'roll lifestyle may have contributed to his passing.
After all his nick name was 'wild child'  :metal

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2021, 01:48:41 PM »

All good mate it wasn't aimed at you in particular, more so the other garbage spawning here :)
But yes I suspect his decades of rock'n'roll lifestyle may have contributed to his passing.
After all his nick name was 'wild child'  :metal

That's what I mean, reading interviews he certainly cleaned up his act with the amount of drinking but it still possibly looks like it's taken it's toll.

There's loads of statements too from musicians about his passing too.  He definitely left his mark.  Haven't seen anything from his previous bandmates though or Roope.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2021, 02:01:48 PM »
Roope is still pretty bitter about his CoB exit, so I doubt if you'll see anything from him.
His former Bodom bandmates did post a message on their official Facebook page.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2021, 02:06:59 PM »
Roope is still pretty bitter about his CoB exit, so I doubt if you'll see anything from him.
His former Bodom bandmates did post a message on their official Facebook page.

Thanks mate, just sourced that.  Yeah, I'm not expecting anything Roope either really.  I know he took his firing pretty hard.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2021, 02:16:22 PM »
While I wasn't the biggest CoB fan, there is no denying the impact that band has had in the Metal genre.

Here In his home country, he's passing has been the top story on every single news app you can think of! Top built story over everything from Covid news to Trump phone calls. He was a big deal here, and everywhere in the metal world. But you could tell just by looking at he's recent photos, that he wasn't all that healthy.

He has left a mark. R.I.P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2021, 02:46:20 PM »
While I wasn't the biggest CoB fan, there is no denying the impact that band has had in the Metal genre.

Here In his home country, he's passing has been the top story on every single news app you can think of! Top built story over everything from Covid news to Trump phone calls. He was a big deal here, and everywhere in the metal world. But you could tell just by looking at he's recent photos, that he wasn't all that healthy.

He has left a mark. R.I.P

Awesome stuff.

Hatebreeder and Reaper were landmark albums and certainly changed the metal genre.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2021, 03:04:56 PM »
Incredible talent he was, 'Something Wild' he was only 17 when he wrote and recorded it.
Then 'Hatebreeder' at only 20 years old, what an incredible combination of power/black/death/thrash and neoclassical metal all rolled into a glorious album with massive hooks and melodies.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2021, 03:07:15 PM »
Was never a fan of CoB, but I really loved Sinergy, so that's where I mostly know him from. I loved all their albums and was sad they broke up.

I remember my friend and I once saw CoB live and noticed Alexi hanging out in a VIP place earlier and we just kind of yelled his name and he came out and hugged and talked to us. Seemed like a cool dude.

RIP bro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2021, 03:09:34 PM »
Incredible talent he was, 'Something Wild' he was only 17 when he wrote and recorded it.
Then 'Hatebreeder' at only 20 years old, what an incredible combination of power/black/death/thrash and neoclassical metal all rolled into a glorious album with massive hooks and melodies.

One should not underestimate the complexity in their compositions.  When I was obsessed with them, I learned a few of their songs and that early stuff is off the charts.  I'd even say some of the complexity is up there with DT level in terms of technicality, and speed well that's another thing.

I should go back to Kissing the Shadows, that was one that always blew my mind and could never get it.  What Alexi does in those solos is laughable it's so good and tricky.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2021, 03:11:21 PM »
Was never a fan of CoB, but I really loved Sinergy, so that's where I mostly know him from. I loved all their albums and was sad they broke up.

I remember my friend and I once saw CoB live and noticed Alexi hanging out in a VIP place earlier and we just kind of yelled his name and he came out and hugged and talked to us. Seemed like a cool dude.

RIP bro.

I rediscovered Sinergy when I sent them to Tim for his roulette.  Suicide is an absolute cracker of an album.

That's a cool story too.  He did seem like a cool lad.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2021, 03:19:35 PM »
Yeah, Kade, and I appreciated that. I bought a number of their albums. They had a great style musically, and while I was not crazy over the vocals, musically they were amazing. He was really a gifted musician.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »
Yeah, Kade, and I appreciated that. I bought a number of their albums. They had a great style musically, and while I was not crazy over the vocals, musically they were amazing. He was really a gifted musician.

The vocals are why I never really got into them either.  Pulling out their cd's again gave me a new appreciation for them though.