Author Topic: Too Many Streaming Services??  (Read 8258 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: Too Many Streaming Services??
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2019, 05:55:36 AM »
[ducks off to buy a backup shoulder-parrot, just in case]

edit: lol, I was stupid to only read half of the thread before posting this, of course it's like the third post in the thread or something  :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2019, 06:47:20 AM »
I hooked up the ROKU Ultimate that I bought last night and the difference in image quality is noticeable. Not that the Firestick’s image was bad.....was just fine but the fact that me....two of my sons AND my wife noticed how crisp the image was made me realize I wasn’t imagining it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2019, 07:28:04 AM »
I hooked up the ROKU Ultimate that I bought last night and the difference in image quality is noticeable. Not that the Firestick’s image was bad.....was just fine but the fact that me....two of my sons AND my wife noticed how crisp the image was made me realize I wasn’t imagining it.

I noticed an image difference in PS Vue just from upgrading from a 2016 Roku Stick to a 2018/2019 Roku Stick.  I've been tempted to try a firestick just for the  :yarr capabilities, but I've been happy with the Rokus and the subscription services that I do have. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 07:52:56 AM »
:lol

I do have a wide stance on the can....
That was Senator Larry Craig's excuse.  :lol

Exactly.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:54 AM »

I noticed an image difference in PS Vue just from upgrading from a 2016 Roku Stick to a 2018/2019 Roku Stick.  I've been tempted to try a firestick just for the  :yarr capabilities, but I've been happy with the Rokus and the subscription services that I do have.

I have a 4K capable Hisense TV but know that 4K content is limited. I noticed that this Roku Ultra (I said Ultimate earlier) is 4K capable....I paid the couple extra bucks for the top tier HDMI cable and have it hardwired to my internet. I just wasn't expecting THAT noticeable of a difference in image quality. I was pretty happy with the image quality before from the Firestick as I had the FireTV setup with an ethernet adaptor. But sure enough....the image I'm getting with this ROKU Ultra  is a great surprise.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2019, 09:42:27 AM »
Nice, good to get an independent opinion on that one, I've been in the market to replace my aged Roku.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2019, 03:07:41 PM »
I switched from DirecTV to Dish 6 or 7 months ago for cost savings. $100 a month compared to $180 a month for essentially the same thing. The goal was to get through the 2 year commitment and then really take a hard look at cord cutting.

So I just had my roof replaced yesterday. My dish had to be removed for the roof replacement. It won't get reinstalled until sometime tomorrow so I have been living the cord cut life for a couple of days and, you know, it's not bad. It really has given me insight into what I do when my contract ends. I can totally see dropping an old school cable/satellite provider for a streaming service. Especially since I still don't have my regional sports network since Dish is fighting with them and I have low hopes that they will pick up the Cubs new RSN. That's the deal breaker for me. I need my Cubs.

I just saw that YouTube TV is possibly close to signing an agreement with the Cubs network. I took a look at what they offer and I wish I had gone that route instead of Dish. Either way, I will give a hard look at alternate services when the time comes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:25:56 AM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2019, 07:55:53 AM »
I LOVE Youtube TV! Easily the best (and cheapest) cable alternative. I'm am for sure going to get the Disney+ service. That being said, there are a lot of options now and more will keep popping up. The nice thing is if you only want to watch one show on specific service you can pay for a month and cancel.

Online faizoff

« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2019, 08:01:22 AM »
That's my philosophy now too, sure there are way too many services, but since you're not locked in, pay a month or two binge all you want on shows or movies and then just cancel.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2019, 08:08:47 AM »
That’s what I’ve done with CBS all Access. Watched the Star Trek series then cancelled.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »
I cut the cord with Directv and I was paying like $60 USD for their service in 2 TVs.

But I signed up for Directv GO which gives me ALL of their channels (No Fox Premium or HBO) for almost $20 USD a month. The really cool about this service is that I can stream ALL the channels, on my phone, laptop or smart TV at once and for the price, it's really good.

My boss also gave me access to his login details and I can see Fox premium and HBO channels for free (at least to me). I also have Netflix for $9 USD and currently on a free trial with Apple TV+ I think I will cut this after I've seen what they have there.

Offline Grappler

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2019, 08:53:27 AM »
I cut the cord with Directv and I was paying like $60 USD for their service in 2 TVs.

I haven't tried Direct TV Go, but I have read numerous complaints that it is a data-hog.  If your internet has a data cap (usually 1TB per month), you may want to keep an eye on your usage just to make sure it's not using too much, too quickly.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2019, 08:57:27 AM »

I haven't tried Direct TV Go, but I have read numerous complaints that it is a data-hog.  If your internet has a data cap (usually 1TB per month), you may want to keep an eye on your usage just to make sure it's not using too much, too quickly.

My internet is unlimited, (paid by the company I work for BTW.) It's only 60Mbps but I haven't had any issues, with lags. And yesterday my boss said he will upgrade all our plans to 400Mbsp

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2019, 09:53:45 AM »

My coworker tried this and said he had issues with lag so cancelled. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2019, 10:27:57 AM »

My coworker tried this and said he had issues with lag so cancelled.

In my case it's just perfec, no lags and I like the fact that I can watch anywhere anytime I want

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2019, 07:55:49 PM »
Well, we finally signed up for Amazon Prime so the perk was the streaming service.   BRING ON PICARD!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2019, 08:40:31 PM »
Realized with the recent changes to our family phone plan we get the $5.99 version of HULU ‘free’ with our Sprint plan. So I just activated that.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2019, 06:52:42 AM »
Realized with the recent changes to our family phone plan we get the $5.99 version of HULU ‘free’ with our Sprint plan. So I just activated that.

I really like what Hulu offers. They have a show they make called Future Man that's a hoot.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2019, 06:57:31 AM »

I really like what Hulu offers. They have a show they make called Future Man that's a hoot.

I recall you saying that before and I noticed it last night. Gonna give it a whirl.

With my PS Vue streaming service going in the tank in January.....I think I'm between HULU and YoutubeTV for my streaming service. I did see there's a service called FuboTV that has a lot of channels as well as local channels that has popped up in some searches. I'm going to 'free trial' all three and make a choice.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2019, 06:59:22 AM »
I find myself watching Pluto TV all the time and that's entirely free.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2019, 07:05:37 AM »

Hmm. I'll have to look into that one also.

Honestly, would FoxSports Midwest be available outside of needing a subscription to a service.....if it were a stand alone paid service.....I wouldn't even need a streaming service. I only need a full streaming service for FoxSports to watch the Blues/Cardinals (cardinals less and less these days)

Offline Grappler

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2019, 07:14:06 AM »
With my PS Vue streaming service going in the tank in January.....I think I'm between HULU and YoutubeTV for my streaming service. I did see there's a service called FuboTV that has a lot of channels as well as local channels that has popped up in some searches. I'm going to 'free trial' all three and make a choice.

I've done some basic comparisons on which services have certain channels.

Hulu live does not have AMC
Fubo does not have ABC, ESPN or Disney, but seemed to have everything else under the sun. 

I'm pretty much going to go with YouTube TV, since it's comparable to Vue's lineup and the only major channel that it doesn't have for me is the NFL Network  If the Bears play on Thursday, a local network usually picks up the game. 

It drives me crazy that these services are missing a channel here or there that I'd want to have, which eliminates them from contention.  I don't feel like messing with an antenna or over the air DVR or having to subscribe to an additional service just for one or two particular channels.

Pluto has some decent content and has gotten better now that Viacom owns it, but it has no current shows or films.  So don't expect to be able to watch the latest season of something, but if you want to watch a 24/7 American Chopper or Baywatch channel, it's there.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
The no AMC on HULU is probably what will lead me to YouTubeTV. I’m going to free trial Fubo first....see how it goes and then make a choice.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2019, 12:38:51 AM »

I've found some good stuff on PlutoTV. And they have an all 007 channel, so if all else fails and you are really bored, there is always a Bond option available.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2019, 09:09:42 AM »
I’m pretty much sold on FUBO TV after only a couple days. Where HULU  and YouTube TV each have a couple networks they don’t carry, FUBO has them all. AMC, Discovery, History, Paramount, SyFy....it’s really a ‘cable’ TV lineup.

It comes with 30 hours of cloud DVR but I bumped it up to 500 for and extra $3 a month and did another $3 a month for (3) screen streaming. So, after my week trial my bill will be $59 a month.

For you sports fanatics I’d look into it because there are a ton of sports channels.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »
I’m pretty much sold on FUBO TV after only a couple days. Where HULU  and YouTube TV each have a couple networks they don’t carry, FUBO has them all. AMC, Discovery, History, Paramount, SyFy....it’s really a ‘cable’ TV lineup.

It comes with 30 hours of cloud DVR but I bumped it up to 500 for and extra $3 a month and did another $3 a month for (3) screen streaming. So, after my week trial my bill will be $59 a month.

For you sports fanatics I’d look into it because there are a ton of sports channels.

I've been looking into something like this. Going to do the free trial.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: November 12, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »

Added this to our 'library' of apps on the ROKU last night. Really neat service....there's a ton of stuff available. I found myself watching some old school 'American Gladiators'  :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: November 12, 2019, 09:42:39 AM »

Added this to our 'library' of apps on the ROKU last night. Really neat service....there's a ton of stuff available. I found myself watching some old school 'American Gladiators'  :lol

I watch that a lot. I'm a big fan of the "Buzzr channel" The old game shows from the 70s and 80s were hilariously inappropriate, and I'm a sucker for The Price is Right. It's not the best service out there, but for being 100% free with no strings attached, I think it's solid.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2019, 09:48:32 AM »

I watch that a lot. I'm a big fan of the "Buzzr channel" The old game shows from the 70s and 80s were hilariously inappropriate, and I'm a sucker for The Price is Right. It's not the best service out there, but for being 100% free with no strings attached, I think it's solid.

The half hour or so I flipped through and looked at the content....for reasons that you stated.....some of the 'old' stuff that is neat to watch.....I can justify having it around to utilize.

I also realized that due to the fact that I just bought my wife a new iPhone we received a 'free' year of Apple TV. So, we have that service as well.

At what point is there too much content out there? Are we there yet? It sure feels like it. I watch a ton of content compared to most 'normal' people. Mostly after 9:30-10:00 at night when I 'clock out' from parenting and most other responsibilities. I'll sacrifice sleep for an extra episode or two of whatever series I'm on at the moment but always knowing I'll get through it and then there will be a respite of sorts. Now, it seems like there are SO many interesting and intriguing series out there I may never sleep again  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: November 12, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
At what point is there too much content out there? Are we there yet? It sure feels like it.

It feels like it to me as well.  And that's not even including the endless unprofessional content on youtube.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 12, 2019, 10:18:57 AM »
At what point is there too much content out there? Are we there yet? It sure feels like it.

It feels like it to me as well.  And that's not even including the endless unprofessional content on youtube.

Oh jeesh....I didn’t even consider that option.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #101 on: November 12, 2019, 12:11:46 PM »
I came across an app on my cable box (X1, Comcast) called FilmRise that has quite a bit of music content, concerts (including Breaking The 4th Wall and a few Yes shows) as well as a bunch from the "Classic Albums" series.

I believe the free app is available on most formats.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 12, 2019, 12:22:23 PM »
I came across an app on my cable box (X1, Comcast) called FilmRise that has quite a bit of music content, concerts (including Breaking The 4th Wall and a few Yes shows) as well as a bunch from the "Classic Albums" series.

I believe the free app is available on most formats.

I've had X1 for 2 years and never saw that app. :lol  I'll check it out tonight.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2019, 12:40:16 PM »
If anyone already has Prime, there are a lot of Classic Album episodes on there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: November 12, 2019, 12:43:04 PM »
If anyone already has Prime, there are a lot of Classic Album episodes on there.

I just joined but I'm on overload with my DVR, Netflix & Prime now.