Author Topic: Too Many Streaming Services??  (Read 8251 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: Too Many Streaming Services??
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
I have PS Vue, Netflix, Hulu and will have Disney Plus.  Hulu will lapse in November, since I had it for $0.99 for a year and don't feel like paying the full price.  PlayStation Vue is going away in January, which sucks.  It's the best replacement for a typical cable package and has all of the sports channels I wanted.  I'll likely switch to YouTube TV, and we'll lose the NFL Network, which isn't a big deal.

The trick is learning that you don't have to watch or subscribe to EVERYTHING.  I don't have time to scour these streaming services for all of their own original content, even though I'm sure I'd like a lot of it.  So I just stick with one or two, plus a streaming TV provider for access to regular/cable TV networks.

We're in the same boat. Probably going to transition to YouTube TV. We have Netflix and Amazon, and the NBA package through the NBA app. But we were also looking at getting Disney+/Hulu in whatever package deal they are offering, because Hulu apparently will be the home for all the R-rated content. But I have been feeling it is getting too much overall. For example, I want to watch the new Picard series, but now that's another streaming service I am going to have to add on. Is Picard alone worth 15 bucks a month? Not really. I mean, I guess I can wait for the Blu-ray. But its just so annoying.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 07:40:42 PM »

Now will HBO Max have different content than HBO itself? I already have free HBO with my phone contract.

From what I understand yes. It's going to have an additional 1800 movies and a bunch of exclusive TV shows including South Park, Friends, and The Big Bang Theory.
Oh, for fuck's sake. Services within services, eh?

It's mostly just confusing because they decided to call it HBO Max, when it's really the NBC/Universal streaming service (and there's already HBO Go and HBO Now to further muddy the waters). 

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2019, 06:05:07 AM »
It is really confusing why they gave it the HBO name. Trying to capitalize on HBO's prestige maybe? I think it's just made things really confusing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2019, 06:29:39 AM »
It is really confusing why they gave it the HBO name. Trying to capitalize on HBO's prestige maybe? I think it's just made things really confusing.

If it includes all of HBO's original and exclusive content, I think it's entirely justified.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2019, 06:51:37 AM »

If it includes all of HBO's original and exclusive content, I think it's entirely justified.
My understanding is that HBO Now and HBO Go include all of the current and future HBO stuff as they currently do. HBO Max is NBC and Universal stuff. Maybe it will also include HBO content as well? It's not really super clear at this point unless I've missed some details.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2019, 07:00:05 AM »

My understanding is that HBO Now and HBO Go include all of the current and future HBO stuff as they currently do. HBO Max is NBC and Universal stuff. Maybe it will also include HBO content as well? It's not really super clear at this point unless I've missed some details.

HBO Now and HBO go are the exact same service. There's nothing on one that isn't on the other. The reason there are two is because on Go you login in with cable subscription credentials, and on Now you use a non-cable affiliated login. So even though there are technically two, I see HBO as only offering one service at this point. I think HBO Max is just going to be the "premium" version of what HBO can offer. Sort of like the music that you can listen to with your Amazon Prime membership, but if you're willing to pay $7 a month more, you get like 13M more songs in addition to what you were already paying for. 

Is HBO getting everything from NBC and Universal, or only select content? 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2019, 07:04:27 AM »
You guys got me all   :dangerwillrobinson:

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2019, 07:15:13 AM »

HBO Now and HBO go are the exact same service. There's nothing on one that isn't on the other. The reason there are two is because on Go you login in with cable subscription credentials, and on Now you use a non-cable affiliated login. So even though there are technically two, I see HBO as only offering one service at this point. I think HBO Max is just going to be the "premium" version of what HBO can offer. Sort of like the music that you can listen to with your Amazon Prime membership, but if you're willing to pay $7 a month more, you get like 13M more songs in addition to what you were already paying for. 

If HBO Max is everything on HBO Go plus the NBC/Universal stuff, the name makes sense I guess. They definitely need to consolidate HBO Go and Now into one service.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2019, 07:28:35 AM »

If HBO Max is everything on HBO Go plus the NBC/Universal stuff, the name makes sense I guess. They definitely need to consolidate HBO Go and Now into one service.

I'm sure that's the plan. Once cable finally gets the boot, or at least becomes a tiny minority, we'll see the switch.

Online faizoff

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2019, 07:36:16 AM »
Where are you guys getting that the NBC/Universal stuff is part of HBO Max? From what I can find HBO Max is HBO plus a bunch of other Warner Media stuff along with some exclusives. NBC are supposed to be doing their own Peacock streaming service. This is what shows on the HBO Max website

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2019, 07:42:52 AM »
Doesn't NBC own Friends and Big Bang Theory?

Online faizoff

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
Big Bang Theory is CBS and I think the media distribution part of Friends is owned by Warner.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »
Big Bang Theory is CBS and I think the media distribution part of Friends is owned by Warner.

Ahh. My bad. I thought NBC had both of those.

Online faizoff

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2019, 07:54:24 AM »
I just checked and the media distribution of both shows is done by Warner.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2019, 08:28:59 AM »
Where are you guys getting that the NBC/Universal stuff is part of HBO Max? From what I can find HBO Max is HBO plus a bunch of other Warner Media stuff along with some exclusives. NBC are supposed to be doing their own Peacock streaming service. This is what shows on the HBO Max website

I'll switch to HBO Max when it becomes available because I pay $15 now for HBO and this HBO Max is $15....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #50 on: November 05, 2019, 08:33:25 AM »
I'd love HBO Max or whatever. I currently have HBO GO through AT&T from my cell phone plan. I wonder if that will help me get HBO Max too. Cause ain't no way I'm paying full price for that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2019, 08:41:40 AM »
I'd love HBO Max or whatever. I currently have HBO GO through AT&T from my cell phone plan. I wonder if that will help me get HBO Max too. Cause ain't no way I'm paying full price for that.

I got the same thing, and while I'm hopeful I highly doubt it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2019, 09:07:57 AM »
I wasn't aware that HBO Max would actually include HBO.  I thought it was just incorporating all the other WB stuff.

NBC's streaming service will be Peacock.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2019, 10:00:50 AM »
Reading through this last page has made me aware that the whole thing is far more fucked up than I ever realized. I thought it was just a bunch of competing streaming services. It's actually services within services,  some of which are financially linked to other services.

[ducks off to buy a backup shoulder-parrot, just in case]
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
Reading through this last page has made me aware that the whole thing is far more fucked up than I ever realized. I thought it was just a bunch of competing streaming services. It's actually services within services,  some of which are financially linked to other services.

[ducks off to buy a backup shoulder-parrot, just in case]

It goes even deeper.  They are going to have targeted advertising on any free versions which will of course be using your data.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2019, 10:21:04 AM »
We're slowly circling back to cable, just on the internet.   

I'm ready to raise the black flag again.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
We're slowly circling back to cable, just on the internet.   

I'm ready to raise the black flag again.

Yep. Here's what I pay each month for 'cutting the cord'

$95 for AT&T's fiber optic 1000 mbps Internet (speed tests regularly show 200+ speeds...I'm happy with this service)
$15 for Prime
$15 for HBO
$65 for Playstation Vue

That's $190 for 'cutting the cord'. I have Netflix through my brother in law's multi profile membership AND I just bought a year of Disney Plus for $70....so I'm not really counting those in that number. By no means have I 'saved' $$$ by cutting the cord. I think I actually am spending more. Just don't tell my wife.  :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »
HBO Max will be HBO, all of Warner's original content and their licensed 3rd party content, and will also have totally original content. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
By no means have I 'saved' $$$ by cutting the cord. I think I actually am spending more. Just don't tell my wife.  :biggrin:

Could you lower your internet speed or negotiate a better price?  That speed is pretty excessive for streaming, even if you have a handful of devices going at once.  You could also reduce the PS Vue by $10 by dropping down a tier, if possible.

I have Comcast internet and they've surprisingly offered me deals on the internet, plus increased my speed (which I don't actually need). 

Original cable/internet bill:  $185 promotional price / $215 regular price

Comcast Internet:  $55 for Blast, up to 300mb speeds (The router usually pulls about 100mb, tv's each get 50mb).
PS Vue:  $55 / Core
Netflix:  $13
Hulu:  $0.99

Disney+ Prepaid (3 years at $3.49/mo)

Total:  $127.48

I'm saving $57 per month compared to my last cable TV promotional price, or $87 compared to the full price, as of nearly 3 years ago.   You're not really saving money because your internet cost is too high.  It's also too easy to get sucked into the feeling of needing too many subscriptions. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 10:55:27 AM »
By no means have I 'saved' $$$ by cutting the cord. I think I actually am spending more. Just don't tell my wife.  :biggrin:

Could you lower your internet speed or negotiate a better price?  That speed is pretty excessive for streaming, even if you have a handful of devices going at once.  You could also reduce the PS Vue by $10 by dropping down a tier, if possible.
They might not offer a lower tier for fiber. In my case I'd downgrade (200-10) if I could, but it's the lowest speed they offer (at $70). I'd have no problem waiting 90 seconds per gig over 45 to save some bread, but there's no such option. And this is intentional. Cable-cos are fond of saying that consumers don't want faster internet, and people wanting to downgrade their service to save money is why.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 10:57:24 AM »
I had the slowest speed with FIOS previously at 25 up/down.  Fine for a single dude in the house.  But they upped me for free to 50/50 as that is now their slowest when I cancelled my TV service with them.  I didn't complain.  50 bucks a month. 

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »

Where are you guys getting that the NBC/Universal stuff is part of HBO Max?

Sorry, that's my fault.  I was thinking of the Warner Bros. stuff, but typed NBC/Universal for some reason.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 12:30:13 PM »

I thought about lowering my speed but I have these devices on my internet:

Main Television hardline Ethernet connected
My main Computer Ethernet Connected
The Boys PS4 Ethernet Connected
(5) Smart phones wifi connected
(3) Tablets wifi Connected

Plus I have a the guest Wifi option set up as well. I'm concerned if I lower my connection speed I'll end up with lags or bandwidth issues. Right now I have none.

With the PS Vue in its death spiral I'm just looking into either the full version of Hulu or Youtube TV as my streaming service. Sling is in a dispute with FoxSports so thats not an option right now.

I'll probably do the All Access CBS again for the duration of the two Star Trek shows they have then cancel it after i'm done with those.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 12:39:52 PM »

Where are you guys getting that the NBC/Universal stuff is part of HBO Max?

Sorry, that's my fault.  I was thinking of the Warner Bros. stuff, but typed NBC/Universal for some reason.

An I was just being lazy and copying him rather than looking up what the service actually was. Glad you got everything cleared up! :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »
Ok just signed up for D+

That's it for my streaming spending money.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 06:50:10 PM »
Ok just signed up for D+

Code in the mens bathroom?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 07:15:20 PM »
 :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 07:58:42 PM »
Ok just signed up for D+

Code in the mens bathroom?

No, that's where I got the code for BBC+

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 08:02:40 PM »

I do have a wide stance on the can....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 09:34:05 PM »

I do have a wide stance on the can....
That was Senator Larry Craig's excuse.  :lol
E.F. Benson