Author Topic: Too Many Streaming Services??  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
Re: Too Many Streaming Services??
« Reply #105 on: November 12, 2019, 01:09:45 PM »
If anyone already has Prime, there are a lot of Classic Album episodes on there.

I just joined but I'm on overload with my DVR, Netflix & Prime now.

I've stopped watching most shows on tv.  I'm down to about 4-5 at most, throughout the year.  The majority of what I watch is on Netflix.  We just signed up for Prime for a few months for holiday shopping, so I'll see what I can find on there.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: November 12, 2019, 07:54:54 PM »
While I watch a lot of tv, it's cable shows as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #107 on: November 13, 2019, 06:27:53 PM »
I just signed up for Disney+. The price is too good to beat and to be honest the ratio of good to bad in their selection is powerful. Having Pixar alone is enough to justify the price in my opinion.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #108 on: November 13, 2019, 06:53:45 PM »
I just signed up for Disney+. The price is too good to beat and to be honest the ratio of good to bad in their selection is powerful. Having Pixar alone is enough to justify the price in my opinion.

That’s why I signed up. The amount of content for the price is just too good to pass up.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #109 on: November 13, 2019, 10:17:21 PM »

That’s why I signed up. The amount of content for the price is just too good to pass up.

Agreed....just having SW and Marvel would warrant the price. There's just so much in the Disney and Pixar sections, and the NatGeo looks deep as fuck in terms of content as well. 7 bucks well spent.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2019, 06:37:11 AM »

Agreed....just having SW and Marvel would warrant the price. There's just so much in the Disney and Pixar sections, and the NatGeo looks deep as fuck in terms of content as well. 7 bucks well spent.

The World According to Jeff Goldblum alone is worth the subscription price.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2019, 10:02:30 AM »
The World According to Jeff Goldblum alone is worth the subscription price.  :lol

I tried watching the first episode on 'Sneakers'. Couldn't finish it. I like me some Jeff Goldblum and the content was interesting.....but man.....it/he got annoying pretty quick. It was just 'too much' of him being quirky etc etc. It lost me.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2019, 10:15:44 AM »
I've been enjoying the first episodes of The Imagineering Story - how Disney built the theme parks and created the rides and experiences within. 

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2019, 10:15:58 AM »

I tried watching the first episode on 'Sneakers'. Couldn't finish it. I like me some Jeff Goldblum and the content was interesting.....but man.....it/he got annoying pretty quick. It was just 'too much' of him being quirky etc etc. It lost me.
I agree it was a bit much. I watched the first two episodes of the show. Not sure I'll make a huge effort to watch any more.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
At what point is there too much content out there? Are we there yet? It sure feels like it.

It feels like it to me as well.  And that's not even including the endless unprofessional content on youtube.

Oh jeesh....I didn’t even consider that option.
Non-professional YT stuff has been my primary streaming interest. I can spend hours going down the rabbit hole. Cooking, guns, music, drunk Russians, cops and citizens showing each other up, old tv shows, back to guns, it goes on and on.

Unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly commercial to the point that a lot of it is starting to suck. I used to really dig UrbEx videos. A bunch of nobodys exploring abandoments and weird places because they're into it. You can't find those anymore because for every one of those videos there are 30 from people who do it specifically for the likes, subscribers, and Patreon bucks. The videos are now about the people rather than what they're actually doing, with slick soundtracks and staged interactions with the law to provide fake suspense. You see this in plenty of other areas. Music reaction videos that are created to validate people's opinions rather than provide honest opinions. Hunting/camping/shooting videos where people demonstrate the newest gadgets from their sponsors. Youtube has gone from the random output of normal people to the scripted make-believe of reality TV. I'm starting to treat it now like I do TV. I'm looking for the older stuff from back before it all turned to garbage. In YT's case good content from back before it was nothing more than a way to make money or become famous.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2019, 12:29:02 PM »
At what point is there too much content out there? Are we there yet? It sure feels like it.

It feels like it to me as well.  And that's not even including the endless unprofessional content on youtube.

Non-professional YT stuff has been my primary streaming interest. I can spend hours going down the rabbit hole. Cooking, guns, music, drunk Russians, cops and citizens showing each other up, old tv shows, back to guns, it goes on and on.

Unfortunately, it's becoming increasingly commercial to the point that a lot of it is starting to suck. I used to really dig UrbEx videos. A bunch of nobodys exploring abandoments and weird places because they're into it. You can't find those anymore because for every one of those videos there are 30 from people who do it specifically for the likes, subscribers, and Patreon bucks. The videos are now about the people rather than what they're actually doing, with slick soundtracks and staged interactions with the law to provide fake suspense. You see this in plenty of other areas. Music reaction videos that are created to validate people's opinions rather than provide honest opinions. Hunting/camping/shooting videos where people demonstrate the newest gadgets from their sponsors. Youtube has gone from the random output of normal people to the scripted make-believe of reality TV. I'm starting to treat it now like I do TV. I'm looking for the older stuff from back before it all turned to garbage. In YT's case good content from back before it was nothing more than a way to make money or become famous.

Wow, spot on YT analysis and I don't even watch as much as it seems you do.  My friend (well I actually hate this guy but we share a group of friends) has a channel for how to videos he started many years ago, his videos used to be great and he put a lot of effort into them.  He got a few thousand subscribers and now he only makes clickbait videos.  I love ripping on him for this, but you mention staged interactions with the law and immediately made me think of his "how to get out of a ticket" video (there is no staged interaction, there's none at all, the whole thing is click bait IMO). 

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »
So when I originally signed up I signed up for the year package because it was cheaper. Then I read about the Hulu, Disney +, ESPN+ bundle. So I switched to that, or so I thought. I just got charged for my year account and a monthly bundle account! How did they allow more than one subscription type per account. I'm not in the midst of a 4 hour wait to talk to their customer support. The content is amazing but they made some major mistake so far that I'm not too happy about.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2019, 02:10:09 PM »

Wow, spot on YT analysis and I don't even watch as much as it seems you do.  My friend (well I actually hate this guy but we share a group of friends) has a channel for how to videos he started many years ago, his videos used to be great and he put a lot of effort into them.  He got a few thousand subscribers and now he only makes clickbait videos.  I love ripping on him for this, but you mention staged interactions with the law and immediately made me think of his "how to get out of a ticket" video (there is no staged interaction, there's none at all, the whole thing is click bait IMO).
I can only think of one person with a channel I regularly watch, and he makes money from Patreon. Or he doesn't. It funds his videos, and he's not beholden to anybody. It's strictly voluntary and I'd bet he puts most of it back into his channel (lots of guns, ammo, and meat to shoot). His videos look exactly the same as they did 5 years ago when he had four hundred subscribers instead of 400k, except occasionally he'll thank his patrons for sending him enough money to buy a specific weapon for a test. I've never gotten the idea that the videos were meant to make him rich or make him famous. In fact he seems pretty uncomfortable with his increasing celebrity. He's doing it right. Sadly, he's getting buried in clickbait videos.  That's really my problem with it all. The flood of garbage is making it difficult to find decent content now. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson