Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's The Shattered Fortress - Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu - Live!!!  (Read 11178 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KrxqgI4xhg&feature=youtu.be

:metal

Now, I can only hope that MP release the entire thing once and for all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
50 fps makes it look odd, Ross's vocals seem a bit muddy. Otherwise very cool.  Might as well just put the whole thing on youtube if this is what MP is holding onto. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

Very nice! I also hope he releases the rest of it, if it won't receive a proper commercial release. Was particularly surprised at how well Ross did the vocals - much better than I anticipated given that his vocal style is different from JL's.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline NoFred

Nice thanks for posting this

Offline Volante99

The video looks spectacular! Performance is good, but the audio quality is only fair...very very dry sounding.

Offline KISS 76

Jeez I'd love for this whole show to be released.. Surely things have settled down enough that DT can see that it's a celebration of Mike's work with the band and not something that's released to compete with any of their releases?..

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Quality cover but it's not as good as the real deal.....which I've seen twice this year and was incredible both times.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
They forgot to mic the kick drums.

Offline Fritzinger

Ross Jennings is awesome  :metal

I saw this show at the Night Of The Prog festival at the Loreley, it was amazing. I wish they would record more live shows at this festival. A Big Big Train or The Shattered Fortress live DVD of those shows would be awesome... plus I would take a live release of this project a hundred times over the SoA DVD  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
I don't this it would've sold as well as people think, if he wants to make a profit. Plus, all the legalities with releasing covers physically. Seems to much to focus on, when he has so many other projects he wants/needs to focus on.

Him releasing these videos on Youtube is fine for me. A good way for us to still enjoy these covers without the hassle. It's the same as what he did with Comfortably Numb and Dream On. Couldn't be used on the DVD, yet apparently was ok with youtube.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Couldn't be used on the DVD, yet apparently was ok with youtube.

Kind of weird.  I get the DVD is for commercial use but I'd imagine someone is making (little) ad money on putting it on youtube.  I assume MP is the one who makes it, even though it's a cover, it's an original performance which might allow you to monetize your video as shared revenue with the original creator.  I don't have experience to know this for sure, but it does seem like putting it on youtube is a loophole that probably won't have the same profits or any but should lead to some revenue.  I mean, I just clicked the link again and got an ad.  That fraction of a penny is going somewhere.  If MP can't put this on DVD, might as well put the whole thing on youtube.  The quality isn't good enough IMO to spend any significant money on this so it seems better to have it out there than locked in his basement for no one to see.  It's definitely cool enough to watch for someone who didn't get to see the few live shows of this.  Also, I am still baffled by the 50fps and it makes it really annoying to watch.  Makes me think a 1080p 60fps exists for potential blu-ray and as a way to not show all the cards of this video.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus

...at what?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

I don't this it would've sold as well as people think, if he wants to make a profit. Plus, all the legalities with releasing covers physically. Seems to much to focus on, when he has so many other projects he wants/needs to focus on.
I beg to differ. Considering that he did do CD and DVD releases of his tributes to The Beatles (twice) and Led Zeppelin, who would probably be far more problematic with getting legalities settled, I can't imagine that would be an issue in releasing this. On top of that, there's a much smaller selection of the fan base that those tribute releases catered to - I would expect sales of a Shattered Fortress release would exceed that of any of his tribute releases. And given that he's pretty proud of that series of shows he did and the fact that he is a workaholic and multi-tasker, dealing with the whatever remains in terms of red tape and whatnot wouldn't be a big hassle for him.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I beg to differ. Considering that he did do CD and DVD releases of his tributes to The Beatles (twice) and Led Zeppelin, who would probably be far more problematic with getting legalities settled, I can't imagine that would be an issue in releasing this. On top of that, there's a much smaller selection of the fan base that those tribute releases catered to - I would expect sales of a Shattered Fortress release would exceed that of any of his tribute releases. And given that he's pretty proud of that series of shows he did and the fact that he is a workaholic and multi-tasker, dealing with the whatever remains in terms of red tape and whatnot wouldn't be a big hassle for him.

Well the red tape means working with DT in some way, which may be the problem given there's some history there.  I have no idea what would be needed to release it, but if we are comparing to beatles and LZ covers, the difference seems to be that MP used to be in DT and rights could be an issue and ultimately an argument that I'm sure DT and MP wouldn't want to become public.  It's honestly best to either let it go or put it on youtube IMO. 

And also, just my opinion based on this one video, it's not worth $20.  Probably $10. It comes off as a well done multicam bootleg with better solid audio than a boot.  It doesn't rub me off as a professional release which the SOA Plovdiv does (judging just by youtube videos, I haven't bought that yet) and I don't think I'd buy it even though I've stated in the past I would be interested in a professional blu-ray from one of these performances.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Well the red tape means working with DT in some way, which may be the problem given there's some history there.
And that's why thus far MP hasn't released the show commercially - he said so himself. He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers. But in terms of legally speaking, he could go forward with it with little problem.

And also, just my opinion based on this one video, it's not worth $20.  Probably $10. It comes off as a well done multicam bootleg with better solid audio than a boot.
Your opinion. But I think the video that's shot is superior to what he had on his tribute releases, aside from the Rush one, so again, I don't think that is as much of an issue as you say. And again, this is something that would cater to a much larger portion of the DT fanbase than any of his tribute releases ever did. So I still think it would sell better than any of them, even if you in particular wouldn't buy it.  ;)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland

...at what?  ???
At singing!

Most of the time, when I listen to people covering Dream Theater (including Sons Of Apollo), it always amazes me how inferior it sounds to JLB doing the same thing. He's fairly listenable though.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Fritzinger

I agree on the comparison with JLB. It always makes me realise how hard it is to do what James is doing.

Still, Ross IS awesome. He is doing a very good job here. And whenever I see him live with Haken (except for one time like 6 years ago when they played in a BAR and probably couldn't hear shit of what they were playing/singing) he always kills it.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
...he always kills it.

I don't disagree with that.  But I don't think you and I mean the same thing by that.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline NoFred

James is a tough one to cover, lots of distinctive vocal inflections that I bet most people couldn’t mimic his everyday interviews. So like anyone Ross had no chance, but I love that he always goes for it and brings a lot of energy for the crowd. Based on this video he wasn’t holding back in any way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ross's performance is fine here.  No one can replace JLB's voice, but they can do the songs justice which I believe Ross does here and I remember him doing so for the NYC performance. 

Offline Anxiety35

Video was neat to see. It was fun. Of course, not as good as the original or LSFNY but a neat retrospective look.

Crowd looks "meh" at the 25 second mark. :-\

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Crowd looks "meh" at the 25 second mark. :-\

Yea, the crowd is dead.  I wish they filmed the NYC show.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
I think what people are getting wrong here is the idea that these vocalists who cover DT are to be compared with James LaBrie. If you have to try and sound like JLB when covering DT, no one will ever be able to cover DT. Songs, when covered, are a blank canvas on which the new band gets to put their own stamp on, their own twist on the song. Even if that twist is something as "simple" as vocal inflection.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
but the whole thing sounded like DT.  I'm not sure they were going for their own interpretation.  Regardless, I think Ross does a great job.  He's not JLB and neither is anyone else. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
That was really good!  Ross was a little shaky at first, but I thought he pulled it off quite nicely with his own style without butchering it.

...at what?  ???

At being Ross I suppose.  I understand how some may not like his voice, but at the same time, I still think he's a good singer.  Having said that, he's no James LaBrie.

Ross's performance is fine here.  No one can replace JLB's voice, but they can do the songs justice which I believe Ross does here and I remember him doing so for the NYC performance. 

Agree 100%.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
I didn't see The Shattered Fortress shows at all, but I have watched everything I could on YouTube. I saw the Feb. 26, 2000 show of SFAM in New York at Roseland. I also saw DT this year in San Francisco.

TSF has an energy behind it that the most recent DT show in SF lacked. It reminded me more of the original performance of the record in NYC 20 years ago. To me, it is clear as day.

All of that said, however, with all the production DT did in 2019 on the current tour and the last tour leg, it was much more of a theatrical event. It was special, and it was awesome with some incredible moments that the animations and production really drove home. The original show I saw in 1999 was a GA venue, with mosh pits and just that whole rush of energy you feel from a crowd. You can't replicate that using seated venues. It's almost impossible.

And I believe back in 1999, and TSF, they were not using a click, whereas they do now (2019). That makes a big difference at times, at least to my ears.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh yea, I can say from experience being at the NYC show that there was an energy in that room that lacks at DT shows since MP left. I think at least part of it has to do with playing without a click and playing to a GA venue.  The pacing was noticeable faster and personally, I love that at live shows. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
It felt weird watching this.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
It felt weird watching this.

I know what you mean. To me it's no different than watching the 7,000 other covers of DT on Youtube. It closely 'sounds' like DT but it ain't DT or IMO near their quality. No offense to the players from Haken or Eric Gillette.....those guys are incredible.

But there simply is no replacing JP..JR...and JMX. I know some don't want to hear it or will not admit it but MM can and has handled MP's parts exceptionally well and in many cases better (as he doesn't take holidays) so in my mind DTs sound quality does not suffer from MPs absence. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I think the weirdest part is seeing 3 guitarist do what JP does.  I know those guys are technically great guitarists so it's not meant to be a shot at them at all, it is just a bit odd to see in comparison. 

Personally I think it sounds fantastic and sounds more "live" than a DT live release, but it's not DT and is not meant to replace DT in my mind.

Also, totally agreed on this:

in my mind DTs sound quality does not suffer from MPs absence. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
I think you guys are missing the point.  It's not about DT sounding better or the song not being performed by DT.  MP is doing DT covers with his multiple bands because he enjoys it and misses being in DT.  I don't see anything weird or wrong with it.  I think it's great and thanks to the OP for sharing.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Well, we are just discussing that aspect, obviously that's not the point of what MP is doing (to mimic DT).

Offline dtrocker25

A simple statement...James is actually a lot better than we give him credit for..I’ve never seen a bad show from him and I’ve seen them every tour since 6DOIT..  3 guys still can’t touch JP... Mikes drums are good..and so are Mikes.. JR and JM make these guys sound bland..would I buy this..no..will I be buying the next live BR from DT...YES

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
There isn't a rule against buying both.  Just saying.

Offline PetFish

MP should have had 3 keyboard players as well.  If it takes 3 guitars to be JP then it makes (non)sense to do 3 for JR as well.  Would have been funny.