Author Topic: SFAM is TWENTY YEARS OLD today!!!  (Read 5843 times)

Offline Madman Shepherd

Re: SFAM is TWENTY YEARS OLD today!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2019, 12:04:32 PM »
This album had just came out when my friends were talking about it and encouraged me to give this band a chance. So in a sense, I can thank this album for getting me into DT, but it would be several more years before I became a hardcore fan. I actually blame SFAM for that as much as I give it credit.

Slightly overrated, still a great album, but not in my DT top 5.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 06:21:03 PM »
I was at the Tucson show last night, and they brought out a birthday cake for the official anniversary of Scenes! We all sang happy birthday  :lol
Silly question: when did they do it? At the beginning of SFaM? In the middle of the set? At the end of SFaM? Or at some other time?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2019, 06:55:32 PM »
I for one don't recall being surprised at the album's theme when I got it.  I don't think I bought it day of, but I'm pretty sure it had long since been established that they'd be releasing an album expanding on Metropolis part 1, especially once Jordan joined the fold.  When I bought it, I knew exactly what had been planned, and went into excited to hear how they were following up on things and in what way.
Well, it's quite possible that rumors were spreading around by the time it was released. After all, promo CDs were no doubt sent out, and there were probably at least a few people who leaked out the info to others. Plus, I do recall that there had basically been a blackout of some sort on MP's website. I can't remember if the forum had actually been shut down (I think it was) or if there had just been a strict ban on talking about the (then) new album until the release date. I'm sure Weymo can fill in the details.

But if you have a look at the news posts from dt.net that are on the Wayback machine, while the album and song titles were made known prior to release, the fact that the whole album was the sequel to Metropolis pt I was not. And as someone else pointed out, the lead single Home was edited to remove all traces of the callbacks to Metropolis. In particular, there was a post about an upcoming online chat with the band that would happen on the day of release that included the following description:
Chat with the band about the mystery behind the new album, outlooks on life and future plans.
https://web.archive.org/web/20000301040826/http://www.dreamtheater.net/archsfam.htm

So yes, in general, news about album #5 being the sequel to Metropolis were not known to the vast majority of the fans. However, you can be sure that there were a handful of fans who did know about it prior to release.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2019, 09:32:49 PM »
I was in a bad way in 1998-early 2000s. I lost my connection with music, and was soured on DT a bit specifically with the release of FII. When I got my head back on straight I found out DT had released two albums since FII. I bought both and while I loved the first disc of SDoiT, SFaM connected with me in a special way. I had a roommate at the time so spent the majority of my music listening with headphones on. With Scenes it was often with the lights out, and the booklet in my hands. That might have been the last time I connected with an album on such a level. 

I saw these albums had someone new on keys. I did not follow the band at the time and had never heard of the new guy. Whether it was him, or a change in direction, management, whatever... the sour taste of FII was rinsed away.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online pg1067

« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »
So yes, in general, news about album #5 being the sequel to Metropolis were not known to the vast majority of the fans. However, you can be sure that there were a handful of fans who did know about it prior to release.

I don't recall knowing a darn thing about the album before buying it.

FII came out in September 1997.  My wife and I had just moved into an apartment, and I distinctly recall listening to the first half or so of the album in our living room with a bunch of unpacked moving boxes.  I recall being generally disappointed in the album, and I didn't see the band on the FII tour (although I don't know why that was).  By the time the tour ended, we had moved to a different apartment, and I had started law school.  SFAM came out a couple months into my second year of law school.  I don't recall much about my web activity at that time, but I guess I wasn't paying much attention because of law school and my disappointment with FII.  I don't specifically recall how quickly I got SFAM after its release or about my first listen or anything, but I know I was hooked pretty much from the get-go.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
Yeah, I similarly remember hearing a song or two from FII while I was in law school in Southern California.  I don't remember which songs, but looking back, I believe one was Burning My Soul, simply because I remember hearing profanity and being kind of disappointed because it just seemed kind of beneath what I perceived to be DT's more "cerebral" lyrics.  Anyhow, between that and the other song I heard, I just remember similarly being unimpressed, and didn't buy that album.  Then one day in late '99 or early '00, I stopped by the Tower Records in Woodland Hills and was just browsing, not looking for anything in particular.  I remember perusing the "D" section, looking to see what they had from Doro, checking the "Dream Theater" tab, and seeing "Metrolpolis pt. II" and doing a: :omg:  Bought it.  Rushed out to the car and tore of the cellophane wrap.  Popped it into the CD player.  Listened.  Melted.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2019, 12:11:55 PM »
Regarding the discussion regarding the subject of the album being kept secret, I remember seeing an interview on youtube from that era where someone (I think it was Portnoy) was asked if the record coming out was going to be an EP follow up to Metropolis Pt 1.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2019, 12:45:47 PM »
The fact that SFAM was Metropolis Pt. 2 was absolutely NOT shared publicly by the band before the release date.  We knew the song titles and that the name of the album would be Scenes From A Memory.  That's pretty much it.

When I went to the record store to get the album, and saw that it said Metropolis Pt. 2, I shat myself.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
We knew the song titles and that the name of the album would be Scenes From A Memory.  That's pretty much it.

But weren't the title and a song called "The Dance of Eternity" two big red flags? do you remember if someone noticed those two blatant callbacks to Metropolis pt. 1 and speculated about it?

(and I'm glad I'm not the only one that got the surprise right there in the store and not before!)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2019, 12:59:08 PM »
We knew the song titles and that the name of the album would be Scenes From A Memory.  That's pretty much it.

But weren't the title and a song called "The Dance of Eternity" two big red flags? do you remember if someone noticed those two blatant callbacks to Metropolis pt. 1 and speculated about it?

(and I'm glad I'm not the only one that got the surprise right there in the store and not before!)
I don't remember anyone speculating about it.

As a matter of fact, I don't think we even got the info that we got very long before the release date.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Regarding the discussion regarding the subject of the album being kept secret, I remember seeing an interview on youtube from that era where someone (I think it was Portnoy) was asked if the record coming out was going to be an EP follow up to Metropolis Pt 1.
Well, once it was decided that Metropolis pt. II was not going to end up on album #4, there was discussion about doing another EP with it on it, just as they had done with ACoS. This was talked about with some regularity during Touring Into Infinity by MP and the fans. At what point the band decided to go from putting the song on an EP to expanding it into a concept album, I don't know. But for some time, us fans on the Ytsejam mailing list were drooling at the thought of another EP with Metropolis pt. II on it.

Good question. I'm pretty sure there was some discussion about how it was ironic that the band named their new album with the same title that was already used for one of Mike Bahr's bootlegs (and perhaps how TDoE had the same title as a different bootleg), but just as hef said, I don't think that there had really been much discussion or raised eyebrows over the fact that they both were tied to Metropolis pt. I lyrically.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 01:35:07 PM »
I got into the band listening to Awake in late ‘99 or early 2000. It was a friend’s copy, so I went to Sam Goody to buy my own copy. They didn’t have Awake in stock, but they had SFAM. I knew it was the newest album (probably from Portnoy ads and such in Modern Drummer). I was obsessed with them after hearing that album. It was my freshman year of high school, and I remember I had a computer class where I could access the internet. I would go on their website and message board every day, getting info on the band and updates. Under a Cyber Moon, anyone?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 01:49:57 PM »

I have to admit that the Dance of Eternity title went totally over my head when I saw the song titles prior to the release of Scenes.  I was not on the internet grid yet, so I had no clue that a Metropolis Part 2 was ever in the works or talked about, so it just didn't occur to me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
Just for the heck of it, I took a look at a bunch of the old Ytsejams from the time that the album title and first single were announced. Here's what I saw:

• According to one Jammer, a week before MP announced the album title, he read on Billboard's new release roundup that the title was Metropolis part 2: Scenes From A Memory. However, no one seem to pick on this post or comment further about the possibility that the album as a whole might be a sequel.

• There was lots of talk about the "veil of secrecy" that had been imposed on the list.

• Some schmuck that tried to sell tape copies of the album. A couple others commenting about having heard the album or at least several tracks, but didn't say anything about it being tied to Metropolis pt I.

• One Jammer who ran a Fates Warning message board created a special place just for uncensored discussion of album #5 before it's release. Dunno what all was discussed there, but surely whoever went there read about it being a sequel.

So it seems that anyone who hadn't heard the album at that point (probably most of those on the list) still didn't have a clue that SFaM was Metropolis pt. II.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
What I remember about the buildup to the release date back in the day was that there were bits of the album cover that needed to be jigsawed together (and this was before we knew what happened musically.) The months leading up to TA had me in a flashback to that too btw.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 04:04:51 PM »
Just for the heck of it, I took a look at a bunch of the old Ytsejams from the time that the album title and first single were announced. Here's what I saw:

• According to one Jammer, a week before MP announced the album title, he read on Billboard's new release roundup that the title was Metropolis part 2: Scenes From A Memory. However, no one seem to pick on this post or comment further about the possibility that the album as a whole might be a sequel.

• There was lots of talk about the "veil of secrecy" that had been imposed on the list.

• Some schmuck that tried to sell tape copies of the album. A couple others commenting about having heard the album or at least several tracks, but didn't say anything about it being tied to Metropolis pt I.

• One Jammer who ran a Fates Warning message board created a special place just for uncensored discussion of album #5 before it's release. Dunno what all was discussed there, but surely whoever went there read about it being a sequel.

So it seems that anyone who hadn't heard the album at that point (probably most of those on the list) still didn't have a clue that SFaM was Metropolis pt. II.

Nice! what a time it must have been, I was already a fan but I still didn't follow actively the various bands, also because I was still without a proper internet access so all I had to go by were bits and pieces here and there (I have a flashback of being with the class at a technological fair, that was happening annually in Milan, and trying to print off the web lyrics for Manowar and Bruce Dickinson songs...), so I missed all the speculation. I had a record store right on the way back home (I could come down the subway, go up, enter immediately in the store which was quite nearby and then come back) so that's where I probably must have seen the release date, if I remember there was just a board with the name of the bands and the release date.

In this day and age you can still surprise people, and the buildup for The Astonishing was quite cool, but keeping basically everyone in the dark about the title of an album and its actual contents was impressive. Of course someone must have known, and the more the release date was approaching, more people were starting to know, but overall the veil of secrecy basically worked just fine. With a little help from the internet being in its relatively young days, but still it worked  :hat
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2019, 04:42:26 PM »
Well, once it was decided that Metropolis pt. II was not going to end up on album #4, there was discussion about doing another EP with it on it, just as they had done with ACoS. This was talked about with some regularity during Touring Into Infinity by MP and the fans. At what point the band decided to go from putting the song on an EP to expanding it into a concept album, I don't know. But for some time, us fans on the Ytsejam mailing list were drooling at the thought of another EP with Metropolis pt. II on it.

Here: https://youtu.be/qe-0ngV25Fg?t=217
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online pg1067

« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2019, 06:04:01 PM »
In this day and age you can still surprise people, and the buildup for The Astonishing was quite cool, but keeping basically everyone in the dark about the title of an album and its actual contents was impressive. Of course someone must have known, and the more the release date was approaching, more people were starting to know, but overall the veil of secrecy basically worked just fine. With a little help from the internet being in its relatively young days, but still it worked  :hat

It was pretty par for the course for the 20th Century.  As you mentioned, the internet was still in its infancy.  Occasionally you'd get the title of an album before the release, but you mostly had to go out of your way to find info (as opposed to now when you have to go out of your way to avoid info).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 06:10:57 PM »
Well, once it was decided that Metropolis pt. II was not going to end up on album #4, there was discussion about doing another EP with it on it, just as they had done with ACoS. This was talked about with some regularity during Touring Into Infinity by MP and the fans. At what point the band decided to go from putting the song on an EP to expanding it into a concept album, I don't know.

Here: https://youtu.be/qe-0ngV25Fg?t=217

Probably somewhere between that interview and this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_rBOimOGyB8
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 01:07:42 PM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 08:37:20 PM »
The band had a dedicated Usenet group at the time, right?  I frequented those Usenet groups throughout the mid to late 90's (and even into the early 2000's), so between the DT group and rec.music.progressive, pre-release info/speculation would have disseminated that way (again, *separate* from anything officially sanctioned by the band).

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2019, 02:04:42 AM »
It was pretty par for the course for the 20th Century. [...]you mostly had to go out of your way to find info (as opposed to now when you have to go out of your way to avoid info).

:lol so very true.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2019, 12:26:02 PM »
Listened to the album on my way to the store yesterday. Some music makes you want to pick up the pace. SFAM makes me want to start running down the road.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2019, 05:07:28 PM »
Oh fuck, that means I'm almost twenty as well. :|
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Lethean

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:28 AM »
I wasn't a fan yet (started listening to them a few years later) so I'm enjoying everyone's memories of when it came out. :)

Online pg1067

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2019, 11:41:21 AM »
I was at the Tucson show last night, and they brought out a birthday cake for the official anniversary of Scenes! We all sang happy birthday  :lol

I skipped over this earlier....

All they did to mark the date was bring a cake out on stage?  I looked at setlist.fm, and it seems nothing was different.  I had given some thought to driving or flying out for this show, but I guess I'm glad I didn't since it seems to have been business as usual.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2019, 12:17:27 PM »
Well, to be honest, they're already playing the entire album live... what they should have done more on the specific anniversary of the album? playing it twice?  :P

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2019, 12:18:36 PM »
Well, to be honest, they're already playing the entire album live... what they should have done more on the specific anniversary of the album? playing it twice?  :P
Give them a surprise (different) ending to the album!

Offline Volante99

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2019, 12:21:29 PM »
Deleted- I posted basically the exact same post/question as MirrorMask  :P

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2019, 01:00:51 PM »

Playing it in reverse order, Nicholas ends up alive :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2019, 01:03:34 PM »

Bring out Theresa Thomason for Vocals.
Get a T-shirt cannon and start throwing T-shirt to the crowd.
Instead of a birthday cake, have a bunch of mini cup-cakes with the DT logo on it and give it out to people.
Invite Portnoy (dont hate me) for that show only.
Play Metropolis Pt 1 before the album.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2019, 01:03:58 PM »

Playing it in reverse order, Nicholas ends up alive :lol
Reverse order: Nicholas is dead. The hypnotherapist decides to resurrect him, then proceeds to perform magic spells on Nicholas in an attempt to wipe his memories. But by the end (or beginning), Nicholas still remembers Victoria, even if on a vague level. The end.

Online pg1067

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »

A fair point and, TBH, this is probably what I was thinking:

Invite Portnoy (dont hate me) for that show only.

even though I think I've said it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

Having Teresa Thomason and/or a choir make an appearance would have been a more realistic possibility.  The cupcake thing would've been cool, but only for comedy purposes, because we all know what would end up happening.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2019, 01:57:11 PM »
The only thing I wish they were doing differently with SFAM on this tour is going back to playing the "Overture 2000" original ending to the live performance.  That was a great way to end the show.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2019, 02:09:36 PM »
Well, some ideas, although implausible, are rather nice.

The only thing I wish they were doing differently with SFAM on this tour is going back to playing the "Overture 2000" original ending to the live performance.  That was a great way to end the show.

That should be the "official live ending" of the song. It's a bummer they didn't do it back in 2014 and it will be a bummer not to witness it again.

I don't remember the Metropolis 2 demo but I don't think it didn't end that way, but I assume that's how they would have ended it in the end if it would have been a single song.

Offline silentmac6

• DT in SH
« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2019, 04:48:46 AM »

I think a great present would have been for them to give birth to Metropolis Pt.3  :yarr
I know perfect's not for real... I thought we might get closer