Author Topic: SFAM is TWENTY YEARS OLD today!!!  (Read 5841 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

SFAM is TWENTY YEARS OLD today!!!
« on: October 26, 2019, 05:47:22 AM »
20 yeas ago, Dream Theater released the career defining Scenes from a Memory. I shared my thoughts about the album on Sonic Perspectives. I hope you guys enjoy my article: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/features/dream-theater-scenes-from-a-memory-turns-20/?fbclid=IwAR2ktqcizhncgSy-eWp0sPuCtnZa4KylNdmasSz9UbmpbfS9WtPpiCTfzn0

Online MirrorMask

Re: SFAM is TWENTY YEARS OLD today!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 06:17:23 AM »
Happy birthday to the best album in existence!!!  :metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:00:23 AM »
Happy birthday to this awesome album. I usually rank it as #2 in their discography, only second to I&W.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 07:02:02 AM »
Happy birthday to this awesome album. I usually rank it as #2 in their discography, only second to I&W.

Same here...but I have been rediscovering it lately, and paying more attention to the details in the story, and it could well surpass I&W soon in my ranking. This is a work of art!!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:02:41 AM »

Same here...but I have been rediscovering it lately, and paying more attention to the details in the story, and it could well surpass I&W soon in my ranking. This is a work of art!!!!
a work of art that is very flawed (James only having an estimated 10-30% of his range and power, Portnoy being Portnoy, JP not being at his current level and many other factors), I see why people love it though (hell, even I! (seriously!) did when it came out, I remember it as if it were yesterday, boy was I easily impressionable back in the day) and to Jordan's eternal credit, it turned out to be the way we know it today.
I even remember being overwhelmed by that massive D that Jordan plays starting off Overture 1928. The album was on heavy rotation when I was 9. Met2 was the first full album cycle that happened after I became a fan. (and the first DT tour I attended in 2000, Porcupine Tree opened for DT)
Met2 has always been the album to turn other people on to DT for me (my closest friend as an example, still his alltime favourite DT album to this day), did the trick very well.

All things considered, happy anniversary Met2
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:18:49 AM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:21:48 AM »
"Flawed"...LOL!!!!!!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:25:14 AM »
"Flawed"...LOL!!!!!!
I liked your article on it though, seriously, forgot to mention that. And like you mentioned above, I wouldn't be too surprised if Met2 were to take the spot as your personal favourite over time, it had been my personal favourite until MM joined. (which was 11 years)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 08:33:06 AM by Max Kuehnau »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:40:24 AM »
Incredible album, one of my two favorite DT records, and probably one of my 10 all-time favorites.  Pure greatness from start to finish, and all five members were at the top of their game on this one.  :tup :tup

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 08:46:19 AM »
Incredible album, one of my two favorite DT records, and probably one of my 10 all-time favorites.  Pure greatness from start to finish, and all five members were at the top of their game on this one.  :tup :tup
cool cover art too I think (the face being a collage of all the characters, genius)

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
I am watching DEAD AGAIN now, and after that I will play the album in its entirety. My favorite record by the band!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2019, 08:57:57 AM »

a work of art that is very flawed (James only having an estimated 10-30% of his range and power, Portnoy being Portnoy, JP not being at his current level and many other factors)

:rollin

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2019, 08:59:21 AM »

a work of art that is very flawed (James only having an estimated 10-30% of his range and power, Portnoy being Portnoy, JP not being at his current level and many other factors)
:rollin
at least it made you laugh, I can live with that rather well

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »
Just heard it again, it's an absolute masterpiece like it was 20 years ago.

I'll never forget how back in the day, without a proper internet access (yes young boys and girls, there was a thing such as "not having yet a personal access to the web"), all I knew was that "the new Dream Theater album" was coming out this day, and nothing more. I entered the store knowing only that somehow somewhere there was the new DT album, whatever it was.

Imagine my reaction at seeing the title on the cover.
Imagine my reaction at listening to the album for the first time, my first new album as I had become a fan only months earlier.

I'll never forget the mix of the total and complete surprise of the title with the sheer and godly awesomeness of it. I'll always call SFAM my favorite album ever, even though today is basically the first time I've heard it this year.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2019, 10:31:57 AM »
Just heard it again, it's an absolute masterpiece like it was 20 years ago.

I'll never forget how back in the day, without a proper internet access (yes young boys and girls, there was a thing such as "not having yet a personal access to the web"), all I knew was that "the new Dream Theater album" was coming out this day, and nothing more. I entered the store knowing only that somehow somewhere there was the new DT album, whatever it was.

Imagine my reaction at seeing the title on the cover.
Imagine my reaction at listening to the album for the first time, my first new album as I had become a fan only months earlier.

I'll never forget the mix of the total and complete surprise of the title with the sheer and godly awesomeness of it. I'll always call SFAM my favorite album ever, even though today is basically the first time I've heard it this year.
yes, that actually was the case 20 years ago, I've been there too :D

Offline Volante99

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
Amazing album. Simply one of the best progressive albums ever.

The only flaw in my mind are the dated Spice Girls drums in Through Her Eyes.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »

never heard anyone call it THAT before :D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2019, 11:53:51 AM »

This. Actually, I wouldn't have needed any percussion in this song. Piano, guitar and vocals would have been enough on this one.

Apart from that: monumental piece of art. A true masterpiece, equally important to the genre as Selling England, Relayer and the Crimson King.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline NoFred

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2019, 01:00:40 PM »
It took me awhile to get into since it was different than FII ( :omg: well I was young and didn’t have a critical ear in any way) but the live release sold me on it (now that album is a great set list) I now put the run of music from Scenes 1-4 as peak DT.

Seeing it live this year was also awesome! Hope they release the shows they’re recording next year.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 02:22:47 PM »
I remember when I first bought and listened to SFaM. I was taking the bus home and when it ended, I was simply blown away and I almost forgot to get off at my stop.  I also remember how shocked I was when the gun shots fired.  It was simply awesome.  I think this album will always be in my top 3.

Thanks you Dream Theater for giving us such a great gift of music!
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 02:27:22 PM »
I discovered DT in 2009, so 10 years after the album came out. Fatal Tragedy and Home were among the first DT songs I really got into.

Just coming to the end of an anniversary-evening spin now.

Something I don't understand though...I've read in some accounts about how, pre-album, little was known about its storyline, or that it even was a Metropolis sequel. Surely someone must have cottoned on to the title being Scenes From A Memory.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2019, 02:32:58 PM »
SFAM was the album that introduced me to DT around 10 years ago and haven’t looked back ever since. I was AMAZED with the band and it’s all because of this gem :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2019, 03:26:54 PM »
Something I don't understand though...I've read in some accounts about how, pre-album, little was known about its storyline, or that it even was a Metropolis sequel. Surely someone must have cottoned on to the title being Scenes From A Memory.

I remember they enforced a "veil of secrecy" and tried to keep it under wraps as much as possible, and the radio edit of Home was severly cut to remove all the musical and lyrical references to Metropolis pt. 1. Sure in the last days someone must have known, but as you can tell from my personal experience the internet wasn't as widespread as it was today so at least with me they managed to pull it off. I assume that for those with already an internet connection, a week or 10 days before they must have known.

In this day such a stunt would be hard to pull off (even if Avenged Sevenfold tried to keep the release of their latest album as hidden as possible).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
I remember they enforced a "veil of secrecy" and tried to keep it under wraps as much as possible, and the radio edit of Home was severly cut to remove all the musical and lyrical references to Metropolis pt. 1.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly this. This was the first album where the band didn't reveal anything about it prior to its release, which they have followed since that time. With FII, we'd get regular reports about songs they've completed, their length and even the style that they were in the old Images and Words fanzine.

As for knowing about it - actually I did know something about it. I remember going to the first Planet X gig that Derek did in May 1999 at the Baked Potato in LA, and I overheard him comment about how the next DT album was going to be Metropolis pt II expanded into a full length album. Not sure why I never said anything to anybody about that, but I just kept it under my hat, as did whoever DS was talking to.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2019, 07:48:58 PM »
As for knowing about it - actually I did know something about it. I remember going to the first Planet X gig that Derek did in May 1999 at the Baked Potato in LA, and I overheard him comment about how the next DT album was going to be Metropolis pt II expanded into a full length album. Not sure why I never said anything to anybody about that, but I just kept it under my hat, as did whoever DS was talking to.

Very interesting! Now I wonder how Derek knew, as I doubt he was regularly in touch with the band after being just fired and replaced by them (and still bitter about it to this day).
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2019, 07:51:48 PM »
Very interesting! Now I wonder how Derek knew, as I doubt he was regularly in touch with the band after being just fired and replaced by them (and still bitter about it to this day).
I wouldn't be surprised if they had already been planning to expand the song into a full album before he got the boot. I can't imagine they would've told him after the fact knowing the risk that he might leak the info out of spite.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 07:52:59 PM »

He recorded that 20 minute demo which had cues from part I. Maybe they had already decided to do a sequel before they let him go.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 08:08:10 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if they had already been planning to expand the song into a full album before he got the boot. I can't imagine they would've told him after the fact knowing the risk that he might leak the info out of spite.

He recorded that 20 minute demo which had cues from part I. Maybe they had already decided to do a sequel before they let him go.

Makes sense. And iirc, when the original demo was leaked, Mike hinted it was Derek who leaked it, as no one else had the file but both of them. I still think Derek wouldn't have done SFAM justice, his playing on the demo was "ok" at best.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 09:04:01 PM »
Regarding the Metropolis II thing, I remember standing in Best Buy to buy the CD and looking at the cover and whatnot and seeing that and thinking, "Wait, what? Cool!" :lol :lol

Offline Volante99

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 09:06:31 PM »

a work of art that is very flawed (James only having an estimated 10-30% of his range and power, Portnoy being Portnoy, JP not being at his current level and many other factors), I see why people love it though (hell, even I! (seriously!) did when it came out, I remember it as if it were yesterday, boy was I easily impressionable back in the day) and to Jordan's eternal credit, it turned out to be the way we know it today.
I even remember being overwhelmed by that massive D that Jordan plays starting off Overture 1928. The album was on heavy rotation when I was 9. Met2 was the first full album cycle that happened after I became a fan. (and the first DT tour I attended in 2000, Porcupine Tree opened for DT)
Met2 has always been the album to turn other people on to DT for me (my closest friend as an example, still his alltime favourite DT album to this day), did the trick very well.

1. I would say JLB is at more like 65% power. He struggles a bit on the album and his voice sounds thin at certain parts but he also has moments of great power.
2. JP not being at his current level? Take it from a guitar player; his playing here is phenomenal, every bit as technical and proficient as it is today.
3. Portnoy being Portnoy as in being awesome? :P

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2019, 10:02:01 PM »
Gonna have to disagree with the people (and I realize this includes people like Scotty who are connected, but mind you I'm going on my own experience FWIW) claiming that nothing about the album was known ahead of time (note: this is a separate notion than the band actually releasing info themselves).

I for one don't recall being surprised at the album's theme when I got it.  I don't think I bought it day of, but I'm pretty sure it had long since been established that they'd be releasing an album expanding on Metropolis part 1, especially once Jordan joined the fold.  When I bought it, I knew exactly what had been planned, and went into excited to hear how they were following up on things and in what way.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 10:14:18 PM by zappafrank2112 »

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2019, 03:33:00 AM »

1. I would say JLB is at more like 65% power. He struggles a bit on the album and his voice sounds thin at certain parts but he also has moments of great power.
2. JP not being at his current level? Take it from a guitar player; his playing here is phenomenal, every bit as technical and proficient as it is today.
3. Portnoy being Portnoy as in being awesome? :P
I'll gladly take that from a guitarist. (I'm a drummer, so that was just my observation as compared to the MM era albums. (as was my assessment on James) I like what JP does on Met2 though, in case you were to misunderstand.)

Offline metropofreak

• I like turtles
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2019, 09:07:04 AM »
I was at the Tucson show last night, and they brought out a birthday cake for the official anniversary of Scenes! We all sang happy birthday  :lol

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2019, 09:43:40 AM »
really ? :D

Offline Lethean

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2019, 10:16:22 AM »
That's awesome. :)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2019, 11:39:40 AM »
One thing I will admit about Met2 is though that I think that album redefined what a concept album can be (as The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway did, as  The Wall did, as The Astonishing did)