Author Topic: Flying Colors Survivor 2019 - Results & Discussion  (Read 914 times)

Online The Letter M

Flying Colors Survivor 2019 - Results & Discussion
« on: October 25, 2019, 10:34:20 AM »
After years of waiting and speculation, Flying Colors have finally released a third album, and so, it's time to resurrect the FC Survivor!

As usual, each album will have 2 clear winners that will go to the finals. The 3rd & 4th place songs from each album will go up against each other in the Consolation survivor, determining the seventh and eighth songs for the finals. These eight songs will then go up against each other in the finals!

Flying Colors
01. Infinite Fire
02. Blue Ocean

03. Kayla
      The Storm

05. Forever In A Daze
06. Love Is What I'm Waiting For
07. Everything Changes
08. Better Than Walking Away
09. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
10. Fool In My Heart
11. All Falls Down

Second Nature
01. Cosmic Symphony
02. Peaceful Harbor

03. Bombs Away
      The Fury Of My Love

05. Mask Machine
06. A Place In Your World
07. One Love Forever
08. Lost Without You
09. Open Up Your Eyes

Third Degree
01. Crawl
02. Geronimo

03. Last Train Home
04. Love Letter

05. Waiting For The Sun
06. The Loss Inside
07. You Are Not Alone
08. More
09. Guardian
10. Cadence

Consolation
01. The Storm
02. Kayla

03. The Fury Of My Love
04. Bombs Away
05. Love Letter
06. Last Train Home

Finals
01. Infinite Fire
02. Cosmic Symphony
03. Peaceful Harbor
04. Blue Ocean
05. Kayla
06. The Storm
07. Geronimo
08. Crawl

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 08:35:57 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online The Letter M

Re: Flying Colors Survivor 2019 - Results & Discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:39:41 AM »
Posting this up early just to make it known! I'm not sure if I want to, or should include "Waiting For The Sun" in the Third Degree Survivor, as it is considered a bonus track, but it is an original studio song that is just as good as anything else they've done, but I can understand not including it as many fans haven't bought or heard the 2CD set, so I want to see what you all think! Should I include it or not?

Also, I may start this one up sooner than previously stated (maybe today? tomorrow?), but I will be going away on a trip next weekend, so I might not have time to update it between next Thursday and Sunday.

Either way, this one will take about 10 weeks to complete if I do two-day rounds, and I'll only be doing one album at a time.

Hope to see many folks participating!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 10:45:20 AM »
I’m in!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 11:31:33 AM »
Here's to final results with three songs from the debut in the top 3!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2019, 12:32:25 PM »
You might as well include Waiting for the Sun in the Third Degree survivor. If you don't want it there, just vote for it in the first round and it'll be gone.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
You might as well include Waiting for the Sun in the Third Degree survivor. If you don't want it there, just vote for it in the first round and it'll be gone.

Ya know what, that's a fair point.  :tup

-Marc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:39:28 AM »
I won't make promises but I'll try to take this as the occasion for a long overdue re-evaluation of Second Nature and, of course, for finally getting into the new album! for now I'm in for the debut.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 03:05:42 AM »
Trust me, Third Degree is a grower. Keep at it. Repeated listenings, without prejudice, should be rewarded.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 04:28:10 AM »
I'll trust you. What I meant with "finally getting into" is that I literally haven't heard to it in full yet! I did listen some times to Second Nature but gave up on it. I always wanted to give more attention to the band sooner or later.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 09:14:31 AM »
Final Round's Results:
Blue Ocean 9 (60%)
Infinite Fire 6 (40%)

01. Infinite Fire
02. Blue Ocean

03. Kayla
      The Storm

05. Forever In A Daze
06. Love Is What I'm Waiting For
07. Everything Changes
08. Better Than Walking Away
09. Shoulda Coulda Woulda
10. Fool In My Heart
11. All Falls Down

What's interesting about this final ranking for the debut album is that, it's largely the same as the previous two times. 1st-5th place have been the same five songs:
2012 - 1. Blue Ocean, 2. Infinite Fire, 3. Kayla, 4. The Storm, 5. Forever In A Daze
2014 - 1. Blue Ocean, 2. The Storm, 3. Forever In A Daze, 4. Kayla, 5. Infinite Fire
This marks the first time that "Infinite Fire" places first, and it also returns to the Finals!

The next 3 spots had the same songs as the 2014 ranking, and the final 3 as well. Seems like the ranking is settling into an expected order, so it'll be neat to compare this ranking to the next time I do this!

Up next is the survivor for Second Nature, its second time here, and personally speaking, I haven't heard this whole album in awhile, so I'll have to figure out which songs to vote out in the first few rounds!

-Marc.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
Guess I need to actually get the new album.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2019, 01:10:48 PM »
Second Nature's Final Round's Results:
Peaceful Harbor 10 (83.3%)
Cosmic Symphony 2 (16.7%)

01. Cosmic Symphony
02. Peaceful Harbor
03. Bombs Away
      The Fury Of My Love
05. Mask Machine
06. A Place In Your World
07. One Love Forever
08. Lost Without You
09. Open Up Your Eyes

With 5-to-1 votes, Peaceful Harbor places second with the album's closing epic taking the top spot, the same results as the 2014 Survivor. Either way, both songs will move on to the Finals! For the curious, here are the results from the 2014 Survivor for comparison:

1. Cosmic Symphony
2. Peaceful Harbor
3. Open Up Your Eyes
    Mask Machine
5. A Place In Your World
6. The Fury Of My Love
7. One Love Forever
8. Lost Without You
9. Bombs Away

Bombs Away really moved up, along with TFOML, while OUYE really took a nosedive in the last 5 years. Quite a turn for many of these songs!

Well, we move on to the band's third and latest album, Third Degree, its first turn in this Survivor!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 06:16:11 AM »
So both times we had a tie for 3rd. I'm so so happy Bombs Away has shot up the rankings. It's a groover. I like Open Up Your Eyes, it's got some great moments, but I can also see its flaws too.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2019, 08:06:36 AM »
Final Round's Results:
Geronimo 5 (55.6%)
Crawl 4 (44.4%)

01. Crawl
02. Geronimo
03. Last Train Home
04. Love Letter
05. Waiting For The Sun
06. The Loss Inside
07. You Are Not Alone
08. More
09. Guardian
10. Cadence

By one vote, "Crawl" comes out on top and places first, leaving "Geronimo" to land in second. Overall, I find the final ranking to be fair, and personally, the bottom half of these 10 songs are my bottom half of the album as well.

We now begin the Consolation Rounds, and then on to the Finals, probably starting just after New Years!

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2020, 09:14:57 AM »
Consolation's Final Round's Results:
Kayla 5 (62.5%)
The Storm 3 (37.5%)

01. The Storm
02. Kayla
03. The Fury Of My Love
04. Bombs Away
05. Love Letter
06. Last Train Home

Looks like "The Storm" tops "Kayla" this time around, finally settling the tie from the debut album's survivor. Either way, both songs advance to the Finals, making half of the Finals' eight songs from the debut, increasing the chances that the Top 3 will all come from the Flying Colors.

Just a couple more weeks of rounds for this Survivor! Thanks to the ten or so folks who have participated in this Survivor! If there is still any interest in it, I may bring back the Neal Morse (Solo Prog/NMB) Survivor, since I've covered SB and FC so far. It'll probably run long enough that it'll end by the time Transatlantic's 5th album comes out and I can do the TA Survivor again! Let me know if you guys are interested in a Neal Morse Survivor, which I haven't done since 2015 when The Grand Experiment came out.

-Marc.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2020, 08:34:39 PM »
The Final's Final Round's Results:
Infinite Fire 6 (46.2%)
Cosmic Symphony 7 (53.8%)

01. Infinite Fire
02. Cosmic Symphony
03. Peaceful Harbor
04. Blue Ocean
05. Kayla
06. The Storm
07. Geronimo
08. Crawl

By ONE vote, "Infinite Fire" claims the top spot, which is quite a turn because last time (in 2014), the song didn't even advance to the Finals (it placed 5th in its album survivors).  This was quite a bit of fun, and I'm glad I got so many people voting! Thanks again for everyone who participated throughout the whole survivor! Hopefully I can do it all again in a few more years, when Flying Colors 4 comes out...hopefully.

-Marc.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2020, 01:07:02 AM »
Thanks for "forcing" me to go back to the second album and finally listening to the new one!  :tup

Offline BRGM

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 01:20:59 AM »
That's a great looking top 8. Thanks for running The survivor Marc, great fun! Looking forward to The Rush survivor :coolio

Online Mladen

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 02:02:59 AM »
That's a good looking top 5, I'm gonna say. Thanks a lot, M!