Author Topic: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Final Results  (Read 157160 times)

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Round 5 Conceptual Impressions
« Reply #3570 on: December 06, 2019, 11:45:32 PM »
TAC, did you notice that the singer from Katatonia was on all of the tracks (that have vocals)?  And if so, did you notice it right away, or only after you'd listened more than once?

Oh shit! :lol Man you need to run a roulette without eliminations with an EP round, I suddenly have a perfect story for you

Also I don't usually delete my playlists so you're good Chad
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Final Results
« Reply #3571 on: December 07, 2019, 07:57:38 AM »

I think the epitome of a great concept is when a song is heard and appreciated MORE than it would be on it's own.  Mike, you are clearly the winner here, as there is no way the universe that I live in that Tim would rate an Enya song 10/10 in-and-of-itself.  For the ones that I listened to so far, all of you have one or more songs that I appreciate more *because* of the concept, and probably would've dismissed/discarded quickly if listening to the songs independently.  That's the real beauty of this kind of round, and the kind of thing I'm trying to figure out how to capture when I host my next one.

This times 1000.   I've actually seen Kacey Musgraves live, and she might be my least favorite artist of all time (even more than Radiohead).  Holy god, she stood in front of 20,000 people in Madison Square Garden and warbled out her songs half a step flat in that reedy voice of hers and it was excruciating.  But in context, that was the perfect song, perfectly sung...  really, really showed a new side to that and gave it relevance. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3572 on: December 07, 2019, 11:14:52 AM »
TAC, did you notice that the singer from Katatonia was on all of the tracks (that have vocals)?  And if so, did you notice it right away, or only after you'd listened more than once?

I didn't notice at all.  :lol
:lol

I had written something up leading to my album's title, but decided to hold off on the off chance you didn't realize what I was doing.  I'll have to find that and post it a little bit later. :)

OK, so I must have saved over what I originally wrote, since I can't find it.  But it originally it started off with you as the leader of Drynwhyl, and you loved music and had favorite minstrels.  But because you were listening to music all the time, they started to get burned out, so you decided to give them all an extended break to do whatever they wanted - travel, spend time with their families, etc.  You knew some of them probably couldn't help dabbling in music in some way, especially the Wizard, who was probably off playing with one of his many gadgets.  But they could rest up and not have to perform for an audience.  However, you couldn't be without music, and remembered that you had met others like you during your travels.  So you summoned all that were willing to come share their music and participate in a fun game.  Everything was going well, Lethean was busy planning future submissions, until:

TAC announced a new rule for the game.  He pulled out what appeared to be an ancient-looking scroll, odd considering he had just decreed this new rule.  He handed it to Lethean, who carefully unrolled the scroll and brushed off the dust.  Lethean visibly paled upon reading the scroll, which was titled:

The Lethean Rule

(This is the title of my concept album)

No one could use a minstrel group more than once.  Lethean fell into a depression, until the others stepped in.

"Cheer up, Lethean.  It's not that bad," said Paracyramil.  "TAC thinks he invented this game, but we've been playing it amongst ourselves for ages.  Usually, the rule is that no one can use a minstrel group more than once anyway."

"At least this time you can reserve them if someone else should allow them to perform first.  More than one person can have them perform this time," said Ariich helpfully.

Evermind chimed in.  "I had a group of the finest minstrels ready to perform for Puppies; they had even opened their mouths to start singing, when I was informed they were reserved and they were sent home.  I was full of rage but still managed to withdraw politely."

"You each make a good point," Lethean conceded.

"Besides," jingle.boy added, "don't forget my motto."

:)

I couldn't quite get that version to work into a story with all of the songs I'd picked though.  Also, when I'd started to write it, I wasn't planning to use Age of Shadows yet.  When I added it, I thought maybe between leading off with all those singers and you having so much music to listen to, that you wouldn't notice that the same guy was singing on all the songs. :)  He's the only singer on the October Tide and Long Distance Calling, the only male singer on Waking Dreams, and on the rest (besides Age of Shadows), he's the one doing the cleans.  If I used The Lethean Rule as the title you probably would have figured it all out pretty quick, and if there was a chance you might not, I decided to leave it off. :)

Also, Diabolical Masquerade is a project by the guitar player of Katatonia. :)  He also sings (harsh) on it, but I had enough harsh vocals on the album and just wanted to add those instrumental bits.  I had originally planned to also include a Novembre song where he does a guitar solo.  For some reason, it didn't occur to me to check the banned list until I was way into this, and when I saw Novembre was on it I used the forum search and it worked this time, and I saw you'd listened to the album so I didn't bother trying to include it. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3573 on: December 07, 2019, 11:19:38 AM »
Evermind chimed in.  "I had a group of the finest minstrels ready to perform for Puppies; they had even opened their mouths to start singing, when I was informed they were reserved and they were sent home.  I was full of rage but still managed to withdraw politely."

:rollin :rollin

Glorious.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3574 on: December 07, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »

:rollin :rollin

Glorious.
:clap:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3575 on: December 07, 2019, 11:59:53 AM »
I like it!

You should've submitted it in cursive.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3576 on: December 07, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
Cool, I was helpful! :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3577 on: December 07, 2019, 09:33:27 PM »
I like it!

You should've submitted it in cursive.

Would I have gotten two bonus points? :) My cursive is pretty bad - sometimes I don't remember how to write certain letters.
Cool, I was helpful! :lol

You were helpful in both versions. :)

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3578 on: December 12, 2019, 10:26:51 PM »

1. Ayreon - Age of Shadows**  8.0

Is this a group vocal thingy? I think I hear Barlow and Jorn. I find this merely solid. It doesn't stand out to me all that much. Songs like this just seem to be written to shoehorn different singers in.

A little late, but to answer your questions:  Jorn yes, but Barlow no.  (Hansi is one that's easy to pick out.)  Ayreon is a project by one guy (Arjen Lucassen) who writes concept albums (or maybe "metal operas") and gets different people to sing on them.  I sometimes think there are too many singers on a particular Ayreon song or album, and think if he narrowed it down a little, the singers who remained would have more time to shine.  But I do like a lot of Ayreon despite that, this song included.