Author Topic: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Final Results  (Read 156958 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Round 1 Worst and Least Worst
« Reply #735 on: October 30, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »
I'm thrilled to see how TAC reacts to the last song on my round 2 EP.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: October 30, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »
I don't have anything prepared for Round 2, I'll probably throw something together tomorrow.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #737 on: October 30, 2019, 11:12:51 AM »
I don't have anything prepared for Round 2, I'll probably throw something together tomorrow.

I'm ready to go, and think I'm ready on the emotion round too.  Religion... haven't thought about it yet.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #738 on: October 30, 2019, 11:21:23 AM »
C'mon TAC we wanna know who's First and who's Least First :soon:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #739 on: October 30, 2019, 01:42:13 PM »
Results are incoming. Please let me post them all before commenting.
Once you see the standings...we can then discuss.

For those of you who have played in my roulettes before, I do not write War And Peace.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #740 on: October 30, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »
Round 1...A Change Of Seasons

WOLFKING-The Blackest Winter

"This EP is totally ass kicking. Excellent job. I expected nothing less."

This EP was fantastic. Wolfking really knows my tastes. The Agolloch proved to be the best song of the round, as three people sent it.
This was the first EP sent to me, and it set the bar as high as you can get. Some sent metal, some sent growls, but this is really the perfect mix of the two.

1. Immortal - At the Heart of Winter  8.5

This song is amazing. A great EP opener, with that intro. Has a strong Accept influence. There's a riff in the early verse that reminds me of Man Enough To Cry. And then another one towards the end of To Tame A Land.

2. Wintersun - Winter Madness 8.5

Really strong track that sits well in the second spot. Love the neoclassical influence on this.

3. Borknagar - Cold Runs the River  8.0

Really solid tune. I actually really like the clean vocals. Remind me a little of Peter Morten.

4. High On Fire - Frost Hammer  8.5

Best song title ever! The singer is a cross between UDO and Mark Tornillo.  The song is a bit clunky in the first half, but somehow morphs into something really cool. I have to say, this song really grew on me from the first listen.

5. Agalloch - Falling Snow**  9.5

Popular song! First off, I fucking love the drumming on this. It comes in pretty simple, and I love that. Reminds me a lot of Tribulation. Also reminds me of Motorhead whn Pete Gill was drumming for them, aka Killed By Death. This is an oustanding song, and if anyone is not into harsh vocals, this is the type of track that may work for you.

6. Amorphis - Winter's Sleep  9.0

This is an excellnt closing track for the EP. The clean vocals are really nice, and the harshies aren't to obstructive. Really nice piano.

8.5+8.5+8.0+8.5+9.5+9.5+9.0=61.5/7=8.78*2=17.5
Meets Theme 1.0
Theme Bonus 1.0

Total score-19.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUDDYHUNTER1-Weather Systems (and other Summery songs)

"I totally didn't feel the theme, honestly, but there was some good stuff on here. Definitely one amazing song, but the rest need extra listens."

The Anathema songs were are amazing and I must check these guys out. The Deftones were a mixed bad to be sure. While it had some excellent songs, I didn't really feel like it captured a Summer Theme, so I couldn't give the full point for it.

1. Anathema-Untouchable Pt.1 ** 9.5

This is a great song. It's even better live, but still..The "I'll never betray your trust" part is absolutely spectacular.

2. David Maxim Micic-Where Is Now? 9.0

Thisis a tremendous piece of music. It keeps me on my toes the entire 7+ minutes. Really diverse in the music and the vocals. I like it a lot.

3. Deftones-Romantic Dreams 7.0

Not sure what I make of this. It's not really my kind of rock.

4. Deftones-Sextape 8.5

This was a really nice song, especially contrasted with Romantic Dreams.  It's honestly the only song on the EP that actually gives me the feeling of summer though.

5. Anathema-The Beginning And The End 9.0

Really great song, with a ridiculous guitar solo. Fantastic.

6. Anathema-Internal Landscapes 8.5

Beautiful song. I mean, what else can you say.

9.5+9.5+9.0+7.0+8.5+9.0+8.5=61/7=8.7*2=17.4
Meets Theme=.5

Total=17.9

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STADLER

"This EP boasted a lot of familiar names, and damn you totally nailed the theme."

This EP did a great job of making me feel Summer. The Bruce song really sets the tone for that. Really surprised at how much I liked that, and the Clapton tune. Excellent choices. I let The Who and Don Henley slide. The Flaming Lips and Elvis are not really my thing, and Jane's Addiction wins the Round's Worst Song Award.

1. Bruce Springsteen- Girls In Their Summer Clothes ** 9.0

I was really impressed with this song. Totally fits the theme, and is so damn easy on the ears. I don't not like Bruce Springsteen. I just don't listen to him, as I'm really a hard rock guy. I've literally never heard this song. It's fantastic.

2. Elvis Costello-The Other Side Of Summer 7.0

I mean, this is pleasant enough, but not anything I would ever follow up on.

3. The Who-Summertime Blues  8.0

"It is what it is"

4. Don Henley-The Boys Of Summer 9.5

Right out of the J Boy Book Of Roulette Cheats.  Seriously, it's the summer 1984 all over again when I hear this song. It literally gives me goosebumps.

5. Eric Clapton-Black Summer Rain 8.5

This is a great song. I'm not a big Clapton guy at all based on what I've heard on the radio from him. This is a wonderful song, But I can't help but think how much of a "next level" Gary Moore would wake this.

6. The Flaming Lips-It's Summertime 7.0

Certainly pleasant and nothing wrong with it, especially how it fits the theme perfectly. Just not really my thing.

7. Janes Addiction-Summertime Rolls 6.0

WTf'nF is this? Worst song of the round. The only redeeming quality about this song is that there's 4 tits on the album cover. You get 1.5 points for each.

9.0+9.0+7.0+8.0+9.5+8.5+7.0+6.0=64/8=8*2=16
Meets Theme=1.0
Theme Bonus=1.0

Total=18.0
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #741 on: October 30, 2019, 01:47:00 PM »
EVERMIND-Whispers Of Death

"This was an ass kicker too, but not as much as an ass kicker as the other ass kicker, even though they were fairly similar."

This EP had two great songs and 2 songs that were pretty good. Wintersun seems like a great band but they are hot and cold here.

1. Wintersun - Land of Snow and Sorrow 7.5

This is a nice enough song, but for it's length, it just never really delivers a holyshitthispartisawseome moment. It's mid tempo which for 8+ minutes seems like forever,

2. Agalloch - Falling Snow   9.5

Popular song! First off, I fucking love the drumming on this. It comes in pretty simple, and I love that. Reminds me a lot of Tribulation. Also reminds me of Motorhead' Orgasmatron Era, when Pete Gill was drumming for them. This is an oustanding song, and if anyone is not into harsh vocals, this is the type of track that may work for you.

3. Oceans of Slumber - Winter 8.0

Now this is how I like my female vocals. Reminds me a bit of the vocals in Lost Domain. The song starts out with a mid 90's vibe. Harsh vocals are ok.I feel like this song could use a change of tempo at some point.Seems a bit plodding at times during the heavy sections. The pace picked up for a bit towards the end and I liked that a lot. But it has a great beginning and nice ending.

4. Wintersun - Sons of Winter and Stars  ** 9.0

I definitely like this better than Land Of Snow And Sorrow. Love the change of pace at the 5:15 mark, and the ensuing instrumental section and clean vocals. Really cool and epic. Probably 2 or 3 minutes too long, but I liked each part of it. A grand ending part as well at the end of the song to close out the EP.

7.5+9.5+8.0+9.0+9.0=43/5=8.6*2=17.2
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=18.2

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROMDRUMS

" Had no idea what to expect here, but you definitely captured the theme. One song is one of the strongest songs of the round as far as the theme goes. The rest will need some listens to further unpack."

To me, this EP was really uneven, but I chalk that up to tastes, and us not being wicked familiar. I really loved half of this, but the other half simply didn't connect. The classic half killer/half filler.

1. Caspian: Halls of the Summer**  7.0

I was a bit concerned with the electronic elements for the first half, but when this eventually comes alive, it's really nice.

2. Periphery: The Summer Jam  8.5

Great playing, and I appreciate the clean vocals.

3. Frost*: Closer to the Sun   7.5

This song is really out of my comfort zone. The instrumental part is fantastic though, but it's just not really strong enough. And it's long.

4. Sikth: Summer Rain  6.5

I don't know, man. Not sure I can totally get on board with this. There is, however, some sneaky awesome guitar plaing underneath  the vomit.

5. The Panic Division: Fireflies 9.0

This is a great f'n song. So totally summer. This actually has a great 80's feel. The instrumental part is right out of 80's Rush. Strong U2 influence too. I love this song.

6. Night Verses: Infinity Beach 8.0

Pretty damn cool. Not sure what else to say.

7.0+7.0+8.5+7.5+6.5+9.0+8.0=53.5/7=7.64*2=15.3
Meets Theme=1.0
Theme Bonus=1.0

Total=17.3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FAIZOFF-Moody Weather Patterns

"Really interesting collection of bands. Lots of familiar names, and I was honestly kind of shocked to get a couple of these. I was pleasantly surprised for the most part."

Sort of a feeling out process for you, Faizoff. I would concentrate on finding stronger songs overall. Songs that are more impactful. This is a fine playlist and all if I had the radio on in my car, but it's also th reason why I don't listen to the radio.

1. Deftones - My Own Summer 7.5

Not nearly as good as Sextape, but definitely better than Romantic Dreams.

2. Porcupine Tree - Open Car  7.5

I'll be generous here with you, but most people know not to send me Steven Wilson. This isn't actually a bad song. Those verses blow though.

3. Warrant - Mr. Rainmaker 8.5

Never in my wildest dreams would I expect Warrant in a roulette. I experienced them in real time back in the 80's, even seeing them twice in 1989. Jani Lane is underrated. They were an absolutely great live band. This song is catchy as hell.

4. A Perfect Circle - Weak and Powerless 7.5

This isn't a bad song, but it's just kind of there.

5. The Tea Party - Winter Solstice (Instrumental) 8.0

Really nice. Reminded me of Physican Graffitti Era Led Zeppelin.

6. Stone Sour - Absolute Zero** 7.5

Not sure I loved this.

7. Skid Row - Frozen 8.0

Like Warrant, I never expected to see Skid Row in a roulette. I saw them in '87 and '89. Cool song though. Fits the theme nicely. That is some sick guitar sound at the beginning.

8. Gojira - Born in Winter  8.5

When I saw Gorija, I was expecting an absolute ear porking, but that was definitely not what I expected. Very cool, and quite easy on the ears.

9. Machine Head - Seasons Wither 8.0

Not a big Machine Head guy. It's just not how I take my metal. But this song isn't too bad. It's not all 00's metal. I liked the instrumental part well enough, and then the softer part that followed.

7.5+7.5+8.5+7.5+8.0+7.5+7.5+8.0+8.5+8.0=78.5/10=7.85*2=15.7
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=16.7

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #742 on: October 30, 2019, 01:47:44 PM »
PUPPIES-Falling Into Winter

"This EP started off totally kicking ass, but I felt it kind of petered out a bit in the second half."

I know what your plan here was, but man, the vocals are absolutely brutal, especially in the Thrawsunblat song, where my ears huts. I think with better vocals this EP scores much higher. Harsh vocals are hard to pin down tastewise.

1. Enisum-Autumn Of Meloncholy 8.5

Groovy as hell. And moody. I like a lot of this. I don't love the vocals, but they really don't detract from the awesomeness of the music.

2. Thundra-At Autumn's Fall 8.0

Not a huge fan of the harsh vocals, but this song has a lot of cool parts. I love the part around 3:45 where there's this great solo, but there's some sort of chanting vocals over it. Too bad. That guitar needed to breath.

3. Drudkh-Farewell To Autumn's Sorrowful Birds 8.0

Not a huge fan of the harsh vocals, but this song has a lot of cool parts. Similar to the Thundra...

4. Winterhorde-Cold 7.5

I feel like this is the dip in the EP. It's not a bad song. Just nothing to really grab onto.

5. Thrawsunblat-Dead Of Winter** 8.0

So musically, this is amazing. But the vocals to music ratio is too way out of whack for me. The vocals almost hurt my ears. The last couple of minutes are epic though.

8.5+8.0+8.0+7.5+8.0+8.0=48/6=8*2=16
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=17.0

KATTELOX-The Winds Of Winter

"As much as I wanted to make fun of this, this is really excellent. I really enjoyed it."

Overall, a very enjoyable EP. Stratovarius continues to be kind of enigma for me. One good song here and one yawner. The first Rhapsody was great, but the second one wasn't close.
I think with this style you either connect with a band or you don't. And there's no explaining it either. Hell, I love Heavenly.

1. Stratovarius - Season of Change 7.5

This is typical Stratovarius. It's good enough, but they have never just captured my interest. I keep waiting for them to blow me away.

2. Rhapsody - Rage of the Winter 8.5

This is really nice. Love the chorus. Some major guitar going on. I see this is from their first album. I may check this out. I love Fabio Lione's voice. Especially compared to Timo Kotipelto.

3. Agalloch - Falling Snow** 9.5

Popular song! First off, I fucking love the drumming on this. It comes in pretty simple, and I love that. Reminds me a lot of Tribulation. Also reminds me of Motorhead's Orgasmatron Era when Pete Gill was drumming for them. This is an oustanding song, and if anyone is not into harsh vocals, this is the type of track that may work for you.

4. Rhapsody of Fire - Winter's Rain 7.0

I definitely liked Rage Of The Winter better. But this is pretty decent. It's a little too mid tempo for me though, especially for 7+ minutes.. Fabio sounds amazing, of course.

5. Stratovarius - Cold Winter Nights 8.5

I like this a lot more than Seasons Of Change. This has some real life to it.

6. Twilight Force - Fall of the Eternal Winter 9.0

I actually have this album Saved in my Spotify. I like this. And Holy Shit the singer is nuts! Solid and classic power metal. It's cheesy, but it's not cheesy.

7.5+8.5+9.5+9.5+7.0+8.5+9.0=59.5/7=8.35*2=17.0
Meets Theme=1.0
Theme Bonus=1.0

Total=19.0

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELITE

"Some of this I liked, and some of this I'm not sure about."

Overall, fairly uneven, but the Dvne tunes really grew on me. Interesting stuff for sure. And I'm not sure what the Ancestors final payoff is, but I couldn't spend any more time trying to find it.

1. Dvne - The Crimson Path 8.0

This song takes a while to get going but it really closes in grand fashion. This was one of the biggest growers of the round.

2. Foscor - De Marges i Matinades 8.0

A bit uneven, but about 2/3rds of the way through, it settles down and is quite nice.The drumming on this is excellent.

3. Mastodon - Halloween 8.5

Excellent song. Totally rocks. I do find Mastodon a bit bland vocally which is why I've never really hooked onto them, but in small doses they are great.

4. Dvne - Sunset's Grace 8.0

This instrumental was really nice. Loved it.

5. Ancestors - The Warm Glow** 7.5

I actually have this saved on Spotify for some reason. This song has a lot of chacter. It's a bit brooding, almost Pink Floyd-like. But it's way too slow moving for me.

8.0+8.0+8.5+8.0+7.5+7.5=47.5/6=7.9*2=15.8
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=16.8

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SACUL-A Few Things Are More Disheartening Than Constant Cold

"This EP was really chill. I liked a number of parts of it."

Starts off with an absolutely fantastic Anathema track, then transitions through the Obsidian Kingdom, to the really mesmerizing ISIS pieces. The ISIS tracks were also huge growers. Once you get through the beginning, they both settle in to great moody music.

1. Anathema-Shroud Of False (no score)

Nice intro piece.

2. Anathema-Fragile Dreams 9.0

Wow, this song gets its hook in you and doesn't let go. Really nice track.

3. Anathema-Deep 8.0

Another quality track from this band.

4. Obsidian Kingdom-Oncoming Dark 8.0

Ohh, I definitely liked this song. This song rocks. 

5. Obsidian Kingdom-Through The Glass**  8.0

Ditto.

6. Obsidian Kingdom-Cinnamon Balls 6.5

Um...definitely not ditto

7. ISIS-Holy Tears  8.0

This a really chill tune once you get through the beginning. It's very easy on the ears. I like long instrumental parts like this.

8. ISIS-In Fiction 8.5

This was a huge grower. I really wasn't crazy about this at first, except I had it on in the background a couple nights ago, and I was totally gripped with it.

9.0+8.0+8.0+8.0+8.0+6.5+8.0+8.5=64/8=8*2=16
Meets Theme=.5

Total=16.5
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 02:42:31 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #743 on: October 30, 2019, 01:48:38 PM »
LETHEAN

"A couple of great songs here, but the rest feel fairly ordinary."

In the great Borknagar vs Katatonia battle, Borknagar easily wins.

1. Borknagar - Up North  9.5

This song is amazing. Love the drumming on the ride cymbal, and the keyboards, from the opening note are cool. Sounds like a heavy as shit current day Uriah Heep.

2. Vanishing Point - April 7.5

Definitely pleasant, if not ordinary. It just feels like a transition piece. On it's own, it's just OK. I'd rather have a proper instrumental than this.

3. Katatonia - July  8.5

There were a few parts yawn, but a lot of parts bad ass.

4. Warrel Dane - August  7.5

This song never lost me, but, it never really gained me either.

5. Katatonia - Lethean**  7.0

This didn't do a lot for me. Katatonia seems like a band that really needs to click. Unfortunately they just don't with me.

6. Borknagar - Into the White 9.0

The harsh vocals are more than tolerable, but the clean vocals are so good, there's really no need to disrupt them. Musically, this is really fantastic.

7. Katatonia - In the White  8.0

Better than Lethean, but not as good as July.

9.5+7.5+8.5+7.5+7.0+7.0+9.0+8.0=64/8=8*2=16
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=17.0

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JINGLE.BOY-A Change Of Seasons 2

"Such a sneaky, but when you think about it, obvious way to capture the theme. Solid EP."

TSO is the perfect choice for the Winter theme. That was a great idea. I liked Old City Bar a lot more than the instrumentals. The Sergey was smoking and a great bet for the double points score.

1. Sergey Golovin-Snow Blast** 9.0

I was a little concerned at the beginning with the electronic elements, but damn, this thing smokes.

2. Trans-Siberian Orchestra-Wizards In Winter 8.0

Short, sweet, and obviously thematic.

3. Luca Turilli-Lord Of The Winter Snow 7.5

Did K-lox pick this out for you?

4. Trans-Siberian Orchestra-Old City Bar 8.5

Great tune. Took a bit to grab me, but when it did, it's really amazing. Fantastic vocal. So happy I didn't have to listen the Posessed Barney puke all over himself.

5. Trans-Siberian Orchestra-A Mad Russian's Christmas 7.5

Definitely thematic, but I was hoping for a bit more from this tune.

6. Serenity-Coldness Kills 8.5

A classic J Boy cheat. really nice song

7. Trivium-Snofall no score

8. Trivium-Silence In The Snow 8.5

A nice way to close this out. Not as heavy as I was expecting.

9.0+9.0+8.0+7.5+8.5+7.5+8.5+8.5=66.5/8=8.375*2=16.6
Meets Theme=1.0
Theme Bonus=1.0

Total=18.6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARIICH

"Another EP that cross pollinates with a couple others. Not without its dips, but mostly excellent."

The Amorphis tracks here are fantastic. I am definitely following up on that album. I'm split on the two Wintersun songs. Solid EP.

1. Wintersun - Land of Snow and Sorrow 7.5

This is a nice enough song, but for it's length, it just never really delivers a holyshitthispartisawseome moment. It's mid tempo which for 8+ minutes seems like forever,

2. Amorphis - Dark Path 8.5

One thing I really like about this is the clean vocals. I mention it in the Winter Sleep, but I feel it really sets Amorphis apart. And damn, I really like the feel of the music.

3. Dream the Electric Sleep - Black Wind 7.5

An interesting song, but it's the definite dip in the EP.

4. Amorphis - Winter's Sleep** 9.0

This is an excellent track. The clean vocals are really nice, and the harshies aren't to obstructive. Really nice piano

5. Wintersun - Sons of Winter and Stars  9.0

I definitely like this better than Land Of Snow And Sorrow. Love the change of pace at the 5:15 mark, and the ensuing instrumental section and clean vocals. Really cool and epic. Probably 2 or 3 minutes too long, but I liked each part of it. A grand ending part as well at the end of the song to close out the EP.

7.5+8.5+7.5+9.0+9.0+9.0=50.5/6=8.42*2=16.8
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=17.8

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CYRIL-winter sucks tbh

"Wow, that was heavy as shit."

Always interesting to hear what you have cooked up. It's always interesting musically, but vocally it can be challenging. Vocals definitely hurt the Khinsu and An Abstract Illusion, and even the Ne Ob.

1. Barren Earth-Frozen Processions **8.5

I liked this a lot. Awesome guitar solo.

2. Khonsu-So Cold 8.0

I believe I was sent Khonsu in my last roulette. Lots of variety crammed into 6 minutes. I liked the Slayer part at 4:22.

3. Sleepers Awake-Throat Of Winter  9.0

Wow, this was an excellent tune. Loved every minute of it. Very cool.

4. Ne Obliviscaris-As Icicles Fall 8.5

This is a great band, that I've just never taken the time to follow up on. I actually watch a lot of Dan Presland playthough videos on Youtube.
Sometimes I feel like the harsh vocals get in the way and that last part overstays its welcome a bit.. But good stuff here.

5. An Abstract Illusion-Abode Of A God 8.0

Really great musically. The harsh vocals are terrible. They hurt my ears,. Way too much.  I'd prefer my harsh vocals to music ratio to swing a bit more. Nice to have some cleans. I prefer they switch the clean and harsh parts. But again, musically, this is undeniable.

8.5+8.5+8.0+9.0+8.5+8.0=50.5/6=8.42*2=16.8
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=17.8
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:07:35 PM by TAC »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #744 on: October 30, 2019, 01:50:03 PM »
Round 1 Standings:

Wolfking...19.5
Kattelox...19.0
Jingleboy...18.6
Evermind….18.2
Stadler...18.0
Buddyhunter...17.9
Cyril...17.8
Ariich...17.8
Romdrums...17.3
Puppies...17.0
Lethean...17.0
Elite...16.8
Faizoff...16.7
Sacul...16.5

GO!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 03:07:50 PM by TAC »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #745 on: October 30, 2019, 01:54:50 PM »
The only redeeming quality about this song is that there's 4 tits on the album cover. You get 1.5 points for each.

This might be my greatest moment ever in a roulette. :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #746 on: October 30, 2019, 01:59:39 PM »
So the Theme Bonus points went to:
Wolfking..Winter
Stadler...Summer
Jingle.Boy...Winter
Kattelox..Winter
Romdrums...Summer

Wolfking, Evermind, and Ariich sent almost identical EP's. Wolfking's EP, in the end, was the strongest throughout, so that point was going to him, though I wish I had 7 to give out.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #747 on: October 30, 2019, 02:06:37 PM »
I got worried for a bit until I realized you were just posting in the order you were sent EPs  :lol

Glad you didn't hate anything. Looking forward to my double-points 8.0 next round  :P unless I'm allowed to change that, which I probably wouldn't anyways

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #748 on: October 30, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
You're pretty generous with your scoring. Maybe Romantic Dreams grew on you a bit, but in my rating scale "this blows" is definitely not a seven out of ten :lol

Glad you enjoyed the majority of the EP! A little salty I didn't get full points for the theme, but I was going off of general vibes rather than songs literally about summer, so I understand that can be kinda subjective.

Will send for Round 2 tonight!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #749 on: October 30, 2019, 02:15:19 PM »
I'm special!!

:jamaritard:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online faizoff

« Reply #750 on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:17 PM »
Dang based on that scoring, I doubt anything in round 2 will score more than a 4.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:44 PM »
Just some thoughts:

1. Damn, 'typical' was not the word I expected to describe Season of Change. I thought the lack of double bass drumming and shred would work in its favor especially with the awesome lyrics. Tastes, as Jingles says! I figured you'd like Cold Winter Nights a lot more even though I find it a little too straightforward. Glad I included it.

2. Rage of the Winter is one of my favorite Rhapsody songs and that album in particular does a spectacular job of blending riffs and speedy heavy metal with orchestral arrangements. It's not as overblown as some of their later stuff and it's very speedy but you will laugh your balls off at songs like Virgin Skies, Echoes of Tragedy, and Forest of Unicorns. Winter's Rain comes 19 years later and I do agree it's a bit too long for what it is though.

3. I am very surprised you like that Twilight Force song so much given how over-the-top it is and how sharp the synth horns are. I thought you would love the vocals though so that's awesome. :2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: October 30, 2019, 02:27:28 PM »
More comments later, but when I first saw Kade's score at 19.5, I (like Parama) assumed it was stack rank - and was shitting myself that I was one of the last ones posted.  Imagine my surprise at the score.  :fistpump:

Will send the chick playlist tomorrow - once i have one final listen-thru, to pick my last song, and come up with a catchy title.

More comments later when I get a chance to read all the writeups.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: October 30, 2019, 02:32:45 PM »
3. Luca Turilli-Lord Of The Winter Snow 7.5

Did K-lox pick this out for you?

:rollin

Fun fact: I actually don't like the majority of Luca's solo work.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #754 on: October 30, 2019, 02:38:05 PM »
TAC I love how you gave Falling Snow a lower score on Katt's EP than the others btw  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: October 30, 2019, 02:40:28 PM »
TAC I love how you gave Falling Snow a lower score on Katt's EP than the others btw  :lol

Yeah wtf?  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #756 on: October 30, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »
Ok cool, didn't smash it out of the park but mid-table is a solid start and I'm thrilled that you liked the Amorphis songs so much - I highly, highly recommend their latest two albums if you liked those songs, and to be honest most of their albums going back to Eclipse.

I should send my round 2 submission this evening, just making some final decisions.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #757 on: October 30, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »

It's fixed. As are the Standings.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: October 30, 2019, 02:50:27 PM »

It's fixed. As are the Standings.

I don't like that "fix".   :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #759 on: October 30, 2019, 02:52:51 PM »

It's funny but as I was computing the scores last night, I did have the thought that Cyril will definitely correct anything I screw up. :lol

And I'm not even joking.

And not saying it to be a dick either. There are a lot of numbers involved in these scores. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: October 30, 2019, 02:56:14 PM »
Well, I'm going to point out some confusion on my part over my own scores.  I think you gave me a 0.5 point extra in the totalling line item, or listed the score for something (Wizards in Winter I'm guessing) incorrectly.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #761 on: October 30, 2019, 03:02:45 PM »
There are way too many numbers here for me to wan5 to go double check them all tbh but that one immediately stood out to me  :P

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: October 30, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
Well, I'm going to point out some confusion on my part over my own scores.  I think you gave me a 0.5 point extra in the totalling line item, or listed the score for something (Wizards in Winter I'm guessing) incorrectly.

Fixed!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #763 on: October 30, 2019, 03:09:15 PM »
ANNOUNCEMENT!!

Everyone double check your score!!! :lol

No, seriously!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #764 on: October 30, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »

Fixed!

Bonus points for being honest??

Also, you may want to keep track of the actual scores on the off chance that there is a photo finish.  A cumulative rounding up or down of quarter and half points could be a difference maker.  Probably not, but you never know.

Online faizoff

« Reply #765 on: October 30, 2019, 03:16:59 PM »
Mine's good. The math checks out.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #766 on: October 30, 2019, 03:24:32 PM »
You're pretty generous with your scoring. Maybe Romantic Dreams grew on you a bit, but in my rating scale "this blows" is definitely not a seven out of ten :lol

Glad you enjoyed the majority of the EP! A little salty I didn't get full points for the theme, but I was going off of general vibes rather than songs literally about summer, so I understand that can be kinda subjective.

Yes,it is subjective. I just didn't get a Summer feel from listening to the songs. But then again, Romantic Dreams got a 7.0 so there's that!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #767 on: October 30, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »
My maths checks out.

Making mistakes in roulette scores is really easily done when there are so many numbers involved. I've made a number of mistakes in previous roulettes, and I work in audit which means my job is mostly 1. working with numbers and 2. checking things are accurate. :lol That's why I used a spreadsheet in my latest roulette.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: October 30, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
:footloose:

The Winds of Winter worked well, but A Swell of Sirens will surely see me sinking below second place in round 2!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #769 on: October 30, 2019, 03:44:34 PM »
Probably.