Author Topic: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Final Results  (Read 160059 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Round 5 Hanging Concepts
« Reply #3465 on: December 05, 2019, 01:56:55 PM »
First Listen Impressions:

"I liked the story, and I can appreciate the inspiration for it, but I have to be honest. I was a bit disppointed by the songs."

"Really different, but pleasurable. I didn't expect that."

"I really think your story and concept is excellent, and while I'm not sure you have the strongest batch of songs, they are still great vehicles for your vision."

I have a feeling one of these is mine.  Hoping for the second one.

:corn
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Round 5 Conceptual Impressions
« Reply #3466 on: December 05, 2019, 02:07:44 PM »
Congrats ariich!

haha WTF?  Did I miss the results?
Forgot to mention I'm a psychic sorry

Offline romdrums

Re: The $5.98 TAC EP Roulette V.4 Round 5 Hanging Concepts
« Reply #3467 on: December 05, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »

"I liked the story, and I can appreciate the inspiration for it, but I have to be honest. I was a bit disppointed by the songs."

"I really think your story and concept is excellent, and while I'm not sure you have the strongest batch of songs, they are still great vehicles for your vision."

:corn

Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3468 on: December 05, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »
KILL ME ALREADY TIM

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3469 on: December 05, 2019, 02:20:26 PM »

Sounds like the first one could be mine.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3470 on: December 05, 2019, 02:41:20 PM »
You’re not in there Faizoff.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3471 on: December 05, 2019, 02:42:44 PM »
Guys, I’m literally not going to be at my computer until 8:00 tonight. My posts aren’t formatted. I should be able to get a couple results out tonight.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3472 on: December 05, 2019, 02:44:34 PM »
Be gentle.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3473 on: December 05, 2019, 02:48:03 PM »
KILL ME ALREADY TIM

Gut feeling is signs are pointing towards a victory for you I reckon mate.

Plus the one impression I thought may have been mine Tim didn't address so I don't think that's good.  I still think Tim would have really enjoyed most of what I sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3474 on: December 05, 2019, 02:48:42 PM »
Oohh oohhh if you post my album results tonight I'll post my roulette results too

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3475 on: December 05, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
Since I listened to them all, I thought I'd post some brief thoughts while waiting to find out my fate from TAC.  Everyone put in a lot of work so I may as well provide some commentary.  I'm not proof-reading or formatting so ignore typos and stuff. :)

I only listened to each once, so I'm sure my thoughts would be different if I had given these time to grow on me more.

Posted in the order I listened:

Faizoff - I was a little bit worried that a couple of the songs on my album might not go so well with the others, but your album was full of totally different styles and made me feel like maybe that didn't matter so much.  I thought the story was really cool, and more than a little sad.  Favorite tracks were the Sherinian and Orphaned Land.  I guess Primus or the Dixie Chicks would be my least favorites.  What I've heard of Primus seems like they're talented, but just never something I really enjoy listening to.  The Sabaton was a great addition too - that song really gives off a vibe that totally fit the story.

Buddyhunter - I don't think I really like King Gizzard; or Dethklok, so this was a harder listen for me.  With the King Gizzard tracks, I do remember liking some better than others but overall they didn't seem to work for me.  There was a Vektor track I really liked a lot though - the first one didn't leave a huge impression but I'll go back to it because I really liked the second one.  It was really epic which worked towards the end of the story too.  A story that on one hand seems totally far fetched, but then again doesn't with the way things seem to be going.

Evermind - This was probably my favorite story; it more real than most of the fiction concept albums, and that's not a criticism of anyone else's because mine isn't exactly based in reality either.    It just did a great job of painting a picture in my head and I could imagine the old man.  "Disc 1" was a really enjoyable listen, and I want to revisit it some time.  My favorite track was Shades.  Disc 2 just didn't really work for me at all.  Totally fit the story, but it's just not music that does anything for me at all.   But I'm glad I listened to it, because I at least learned something - even though that something was that I guess I don't like Leonard Cohen or Mark Knopfler.  Two names I've heard a lot, but didn't know anything about other than that Leonard Cohen is the Hallelujah guy.  I don't really think I liked the other guy either, but I guess I liked him better than those two. :)

Wolfking - Evergrey  :metal  This is one that I might need to revisit in chunks.  Overall, there were too many vocals that I just don't care for, but I heard stuff musically that I thought could be cool.  I don't think Sepultura or Trivium will ever be my thing (and I've seen both live), but maybe I'll give some of the others another go.  A Touch of Blessing was my favorite and maybe one of the Triviums least favorite.  I thought your story was pretty cool, even though Kat(telox) went way overboard there at the end. :)

Sacul - Our tastes don't seem to be in line very much, but I liked this more than the first few tracks led me to expect.  Dredg is a band I've heard of but never really listened to much.  I guess I've had an image of what I thought they might sound like based on the name, but I was way off base.  I liked both tracks and they were my favorites on the album. Least favorite was the Beth Gibbons.

Ariich - I hadn't heard of One I Cinema but The Mirror really stood out.  I've never been able to get into Scar Symmetry and this time was no exception, but between the One I Cinema, Myrath, and at least of the Tremonti songs, there was plenty here for me to enjoy.  I think I should listen to the Disillusion track again for sure - that's a band I've listened to just a few times on recommendations, and I've never gotten in to them, yet still feel like there might be something there, if that makes any sense.

Stadler - This concept album reminds me of riding around in my parents' car.  OK maybe not the whole thing, but definitely the Billy Joel and Elton John, and Joe Cocker.  :) I thought this was a very cool idea, and it takes the listener for a nice journey through Stadler-ville.  You even mentioned tending your own garden, which was totally perfect given that I added it to my concept album too. :)  I thought about doing something like this for Puppies' concept album, but the artists I would have wanted to send for something like it were already banned.  Favorite tracks - My Wave (love this song), and Solbury Hill for songs I already knew, and Evidence of Autumn for a song that was new to me.  Least favorite was Brett Eldridge.

Puppies - I enjoyed the BTBAM tracks!  Wasn't expecting that when I saw them on the playlist.  :)  This was a great album and I told Kattelox to listen to it even though he also has BTBAM reservations.  Obviously my favorite track is Angra but I thought most of it was really good.  I'll need another listen to pick out which specific songs I liked most but it made a really good first impression.

Cyril - can you ask some of these bands to make an instrumental version? :)  I am definitely going to listen to this again because there were so many instrumental moments where I stopped and thought about how awesome it was.  But I was listening to it on my PC while working on my laptop, so I didn't make a note of what was what.  I'll have to go back a couple songs at a time so I can enjoy all of the intricate stuff without feeling overwhelmed by the vocals. 

Elite - this was super cool.  I liked the story and loved the songs.  Of course it doesn't hurt that it had two great songs that you sent me in my roulette, and I'm also a fan of Caligula's Horse and Voyager.  The least favorite song was Mr. Bungle and it didn't really seem like it went with the others; for a favorite new song I'm going to have to listen again.  Even the harsh vocal tracks sounded really cool; maybe I'll go with the Shining track as a favorite for now because it was intense, and good-weird.

Jingle - was this the longest concept album?  It definitely felt like it went on for a long time.  :)  But I didn't want to find out what the abridged version was because what if the best songs were left out? :)  There was a lot of good stuff here that I wasn't already familiar with.  I think I only knew the Pagan's Mind and Orden Ogan tracks; I may have heard the Serious Black too.  I might be with TAC in picking the Odin as my least favorite; and I think Section A or Ostura might be my favorites.  I did look at the story along with listening, but didn't read lyrics or anything to see how they might tie in.

Romdrums - I thought this was a very enjoyable listen.  Like Cyril's, I wasn't looking at the track names while listening so I don't have favorites to pick out, but I didn't hear anything I didn't really like.  I enjoyed the world travel story too - I always find that sort of thing interesting and it seemed to fit the sound of your album really well.

Kattelox - I don't know what to say about this that Stadler didn't already say better.  Your album does help us to better understand, and it must have been very hard to put it all together.   Hopefully also a little cathartic too.  I started the first song before TAC posted the write-up, but after that I made to read each part with the song it went with, and it was very emotional.  At some point I was reminded of the song Estonia by Marillion - not because of the music but some fo what you wrote (and that's a beautiful song to listen to with tissues ready).  Explosions in the Sky was my favorite track to listen to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3476 on: December 05, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »

Wolfking - Evergrey  :metal  This is one that I might need to revisit in chunks.  Overall, there were too many vocals that I just don't care for, but I heard stuff musically that I thought could be cool.  I don't think Sepultura or Trivium will ever be my thing (and I've seen both live), but maybe I'll give some of the others another go.  A Touch of Blessing was my favorite and maybe one of the Triviums least favorite. I thought your story was pretty cool, even though Kat(telox) went way overboard there at the end. :)

Huh, you know, Michael didn't even come into my realm of thinking when writing the story haha.  So no, the character has no affiliation with Kattleox.  It was a spin of his real name but also a bit similar to my name which was fitting.  Glad you somewhat enjoyed it.  But nah, I think his mindframe in the second half of the story was completely appropriate and sane.   ;D  Depression is a serious thing which I also tried to portray.  Your mind does funny things to you and sometimes impossible to get out of.  But it was open ended at the end, he may very well rise up again and continue.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 03:20:11 PM by wolfking »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3477 on: December 05, 2019, 03:33:05 PM »
Also 100 pages!!  Has a roulette ever hit that before?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3478 on: December 05, 2019, 03:33:35 PM »
Wolfking - Evergrey  :metal  This is one that I might need to revisit in chunks. 

That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3479 on: December 05, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »
Thanks Lethean. That was awesome.

This is a DIY Roulette!!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #3480 on: December 05, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »
Thanks Lethean. That was awesome.

This is a DIY Roulette!!

*sits at TAC's computer while his wife tells him to do stuff*

FIRST PLACE: KATTELOX_

*leans back in computer chair, smugly satisfied*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3481 on: December 05, 2019, 03:49:14 PM »
 :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3482 on: December 05, 2019, 03:55:59 PM »
Congrats Katt!

Online faizoff

« Reply #3483 on: December 05, 2019, 05:17:52 PM »

Faizoff - I was a little bit worried that a couple of the songs on my album might not go so well with the others, but your album was full of totally different styles and made me feel like maybe that didn't matter so much.  I thought the story was really cool, and more than a little sad.  Favorite tracks were the Sherinian and Orphaned Land.  I guess Primus or the Dixie Chicks would be my least favorites.  What I've heard of Primus seems like they're talented, but just never something I really enjoy listening to.  The Sabaton was a great addition too - that song really gives off a vibe that totally fit the story.

That's great Lethean! thanks for the feedback. I should've written done my thoughts too when listening. I haven't finished Katt's EP's yet but is so emotional and amazing so far.

I've done Buddy's, Cyril's- disc 1 was amazing, disc 2 will require some re-listening, there are some great parts in there. Still have so much to catch up.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3484 on: December 05, 2019, 05:19:51 PM »
Stadler - This concept album reminds me of riding around in my parents' car.

:lol :lol :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3485 on: December 05, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
falzoff you should run a roulette  :hat

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3486 on: December 05, 2019, 05:52:55 PM »
I'm rather certain that this is the first.

Online faizoff

« Reply #3487 on: December 05, 2019, 05:53:55 PM »
falzoff you should run a roulette  :hat
I fully plan to! I need to commit to organizing though, it's going to take some effort on my part since I haven't done one yet. Probably after the new years, life has become super busy past couple of weeks.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3488 on: December 05, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
Thanks Lethean!  Glad you liked it.  :metal
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3489 on: December 05, 2019, 06:11:13 PM »
I'm rather certain that this is the first.
What are you talking about, we are only on page 70.... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3490 on: December 05, 2019, 06:23:28 PM »
First 70 page roulette! :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3491 on: December 05, 2019, 06:33:08 PM »
 :corn  :godisgood:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #3492 on: December 05, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »

Wolfking - Evergrey  :metal  This is one that I might need to revisit in chunks.  Overall, there were too many vocals that I just don't care for, but I heard stuff musically that I thought could be cool.  I don't think Sepultura or Trivium will ever be my thing (and I've seen both live), but maybe I'll give some of the others another go.  A Touch of Blessing was my favorite and maybe one of the Triviums least favorite. I thought your story was pretty cool, even though Kat(telox) went way overboard there at the end. :)

Huh, you know, Michael didn't even come into my realm of thinking when writing the story haha.  So no, the character has no affiliation with Kattleox.

No, I do know that - I read the story about the full name and stuff.  I did think about it when reading the story though and thought it was funny if Kattelox was really the one causing all the destruction. :)

It was a spin of his real name but also a bit similar to my name which was fitting.  Glad you somewhat enjoyed it.  But nah, I think his mindframe in the second half of the story was completely appropriate and sane.   ;D  Depression is a serious thing which I also tried to portray.  Your mind does funny things to you and sometimes impossible to get out of.  But it was open ended at the end, he may very well rise up again and continue.
I'll look forward to the sequel. :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3493 on: December 05, 2019, 07:32:32 PM »
Stadler - This concept album reminds me of riding around in my parents' car.

:lol :lol :lol

Haha, I don't know how to take that.  :) :) :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3494 on: December 05, 2019, 07:35:48 PM »
I must be drunk or having a seizure.  I read this quick:

Wolfking - Evergrey  :metal  This is one that I might need to revisit in chunks.

... and thought it said "this is one that I might need to blow chunks", and I read this quick:

I fully plan to! I need to commit to organizing though

... and thought it said "I need to commit to orgasming though".

I need help.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3495 on: December 05, 2019, 07:38:48 PM »
So....

First off, thank you everyone for playing. This was a great set of players with quite varied tastes.

As a kid, I would make mix tapes. I think the some of you may call these playlists. ;D

Anyway, I remember having one with songs about Night, and another with songs about War. I had an instrumental one, and a um..ballad one.  I had those in mind as I set the program for this roulette.

To me, I don't look at Roulettes as an exercise in Music Discovery, but more of an exercise in Music Sharing. I view roulettes, or at least MY roulettes, as a music sharing party. A sort of music sharing chat thread, if you will. I open the doors, but you guys all come in with your music in hand, and it's basically a party at that point. That is my view of roulettes.

I'll post some Fun Facts and such over the next few days.

I will post half of the Results tonight, and then the other half when I get home tomorrow....

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3496 on: December 05, 2019, 07:41:36 PM »

CYRIL-Vessel

"Really interesting story with the songs to support it. Songs are technical as hell. My ears are tired."

I think you saved your best for last. I loved the story. You really told it well with the songs. I idea of the humans fueling the furnace was both awesome, and sickening. The two Serdce tracks were the best I must follow up with this band.
Everything was excellent with the only bump being the Irreversable Mechanism.

1. Dissona - Fire-Bellied  8.5

I like this song a lot. Vocals are interesting, but not bad by any means. The music is quite varied and original.

2. Serdce - Last Faith 9.0

This song is freaking awesome. This song takes you everywhere. Lots of cool different parts, but never choppy. Great guitar soloing. That part around 8:00 like DT's ACOS.

3. Cryptodira - The Gods of Epicurus 8.0

The harshies keep this really cool tune from an 8.5.

4. Irreversible Mechanism - Abolution  7.0

That was rough. Blastbeat mania with ear porking vocals.

5. The Faceless - Autotheist ** 9.0

I love the call back with the cleans against the harshies in the early part of the song. Can't say I love the harshies on their own though. But there is just so much damn goodness to overlook them.

6. Serdce - Omens  9.0

Another awesome song from this band. Great piano. I'll definitely be checking this out after the roulette.

7. Exist - If or When  8.0

Some really cool parts instrumentally. Vocally, it's OK. Not sure this thing really grabbed me. I didn't not like it though.

8. Sacrificed Alliance - Nocturne 8.5

Yeah, this is excellent. Some really great parts in this. The vocals are good enough, but some nice guitar melodies on this.

9. Tetrafusion - Perfect Silence 9.0

Really nice ending to this. Felt like an ear cleansing.
Enjoyable the whole way through.

8.5+9.0+8.0+7.0+(9.0+9.0)+9.0+8.0+8.5+9.0=85/10=8.5*2=17.0
Meets Theme=1.0
Theme Bonus=1.0

Total=19.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ELITE-Self Titled

"Holy shit, I think you just blew my tympanic membrane."

Rich, thank you for taking the time to make this EP. Probably no surprise, but much of it was lost on me musically. Some gems like the Semistereo, Ihsahn, and The Ocean. I've heard a few Voyager tunes, and this is one of the better ones. I loved your writeup though and I appreciate you sharing that.

1. Caligula's Horse - The City Has no Empathy (Your Sentimental Lie) 8.0

This song is OK. It meanders a bit for me, and I've had a hard time of latching onto this band.

2. Semistereo - The Search **8.5

Wow, I was surprised with this. I saw the run time,. but I enjoyed this immensely.

3. Shining - The Madness and the Damage Done  6.5

Yeah, man, this ain't going to work.

4. Ihsahn - Mass Darkness  8.5

Wow, this song is fantastic. Didn't love the harshies, but I didn't hate them either. The song has such a great music quality to it.

5. Voyager - White Shadow  8.0

I enjoyed this. I haven't really been able to get into Voyager. But this was cool.

6. Agent Fresco - See Hell  8.0

I thought this was a quality song, even though I don't think I'd follow up on it.

7. Ulver - Operator 7.0

Totally see this in your story. Um..let's leave it there.

8. Mr. Bungle - The Air-Conditioned Nightmare  7.0

I seriously don't understand what they do...and I've seen them twice.

9. Agent Fresco - Angst  6.5

No kidding!

10. Strapping Young Lad - Velvet Kevorkian  7.0

I need Kevorkian.

11. Strapping Young Lad - All Hail the New Flesh 7.0

All hail the next song.

12. The Ocean - Hadopelagic I: Omen of the Deep not scored

13. The Ocean - Hadopelagic II: Let Them Believe  8.5

Definitely ends on a high note! Nice!!

8.0+(8.5+8.5)+6.5+8.5+8.0+8.0+7.0+7.0+6.5+7.0+7.0+8.5=99.0/13=7.62*2=15.2
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=16.2

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RONDRUMS-Search For Home

Rom, this is a really cool EP. I loved your concept. As a whole, it's a little too chill, and could use a little more oomph here and there. But I was pleasantly surprised, as evidenced by the scores.

1. sleepmakeswaves-Our Days Were Polar  Not Scored

Chill intro piece.

2. sleepmakeswaves-Worlds Away  8.5

Really cool instrumental. Maybe a minute of so too long, but it's a minor complaint.

3. Klone-The Drifter**  8.0

Interesting tune. Cool bass. Pretty chill but kind of neat.

4. Toundra-Voland 8.0

5 points for the piece and the requisite 1.5 points per breast.

5. Tides From Nebula-Dopamine 8.5

This was really cool. I sense some electronics in this, but it is stellar.

6. God Is An Astronaut-Vetus Memoria 8.0

This was really cool. I liked it.

7. pg.lost-Off The Beaten Path  7.5

Not sure this really did anything for me.

8. Toundra-Kingston Falls  8.0

Nothing wrong with this, but I prefer the other album cover!

9. Tides From Nebula-Traversing 7.5

Kind of boring if I'm being honest. I guess I kept waiting for it to kick in.

10. sleepmakeswaves-Midnight Sun 8.0

Really soothing and nice.

11. sleepmakeswaves-Something Like Avalanches 8.0

I can see why someone would enjoy this.

12. Tides From Nebula-Home  8.0

More of the same really.

8.5+(8.0+8.0)+8.0+8.5+8.0+7.5+8.0+7.5+8.0+8.0+8.0=96/12=8*2=16.0
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=17.0

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3497 on: December 05, 2019, 07:42:35 PM »
EVERMIND-Dirge For A Forgotten Soul

"Fucking brilliant. I don't know else what to say."

From the start, I knew this was getting a  Bonus Point. Fantastic presentation, with the songs that told the story. I didn't love every song, but each was very effective. The Árstíðir tracks were fantastic. I would like to check them out. Really nice pieces. Great use Of Mark Knopfler, and the female voice in the end was brilliant. Outstanding story telling with the soundtrack to match.

1.  Árstíðir – Ages  8.5

This song is outstanding, and such a great way to kick this off. Gripped already.

2. Árstíðir – Cannon 8.5

Another amazing and graceful song.

3. Árstíðir – Passion 8.0

Just a step down from the previous two. Not quite as engaging.

4. Ólafur Arnalds – Old Skin  7.5

This is the first song that I didn't really fall for. It's nice enough..

5. Ólafur Arnalds – A Stutter  8.0

Wow, really chill and pleasant.

6. Ólafur Arnalds – This Place Was a Shelter  Not Scored

Feels like a long transition piece, that despite its almost four minutes never really does anything.

7. Árstíðir – Shades**   8.0

Nice enough. Doesn't really jump out at me.

8. Adam Hurst – Alone  8.0

Interesting. Not sure how I really feel about it.

9. Mark Knopfler – When You Leave 8.5

Perfect choice for this point in the story. Really moving song.

10. Leonard Cohen – Traveling Light  7.5

Kind of creepy. Cool song in context though, though I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it otherwise.

11. Adam Hurst – Lament 8.5

This was much more moving and coherent than Alone.

12. Leonard Cohen – You Want It Darker  8.5

Wow, this song is insane. Cool AF.

13. Mark Knopfler – Wherever I Go  9.0

Great tune, and outstanding storytelling. The perfect song.

14. Adam Hurst – From Nowhere 8.5

End credits. Brilliant.

8.5+8.5+8.0+7.5+8.0+(8.0+8.0)+8.0+8.5+7.5+8.5+8.5+9.0+8.5=115/14=8.21*2=16.4
Meets Theme=1.0
Theme Bonus=1.0

Total=18.4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUDDY HUNTER-Mars For The Rich

The King Gizzard EP! Hell was the standout track from them. I'm just not crazy about the somewhat fuzzy guitar and very unmelodic vocals. I gotta check out Vektor though. You had an interesting story tying the songs together.

As far as Bonus Point consideration, your story and songs certainly went hand in hand. So you checked those boxes, but in the end, neither really stood out against the others.

1: Vektor - Black Future  8.5

This song rocks. As I said before, old school thrash field. Don't love the vocals, but still awesome.

2: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Planet B  8.0

This songs rocks pretty good, but in needs some melody in the vocals.

3: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Mars For The Rich 8.0

Some fuzzy guitar here. I like the bass. Interesting track lyrically.

4: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Parihelion  7.5

Can't say I'm a huge fan of this one.

5: Celldweller - Good L_ck (Yo_'re F_cked) 7.0

This song is F_cked.

6: Dethklok - Laser Cannon Deth Sentence **  8.0

Musically this is fantastic. I wish it had better vocals.

7: Dethklok - Rejoin  7.5

Musically not as good as Laser Cannon, and vocally every bit as bad.

8: Vektor - Collapse  8.5

Wow, this song is really good. The vocals really don't jive with the mellow parts, but damn. Nice.

9: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Hell 8.5

Sounds like early Diamond Head to me. I like the vibe on this. Probably my fave of the four KG tracks.

8.5+8.0+8.0+7.5+7.0+(8.0+8.0)+7.5+8.5+8.5=79.5/10=7.95*2=15.9
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=16.9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STADLER-Episode IX: The Rise Of Stadler

"Thank you for sharing that with me. Musically it is what it is, but this was a special listen."

So while this might have been one of my least favorites musically, yours was one of my favorite writeups. I appreciate you sharing all of that with me/us. At times, I thought I was reading about my life. Divorce, grandmother (especially your grandmother reference), and your father. I feel like we have a lot of our journey in common.

Ultimately, I couldn't score Snoopy. I did like the Black Diamond cover. Pretty raw, which is part of Black Diamond's original charm. I actually have Script, and like it. I was familiar with some of the other songs, and clearly a lot of it was out of my wheelhouse, but I figured you knew that.

This really did deserve a Bonus Point. Probably the toughest one to cut. Thank you so much for sharing this.

1. The Royal Guardsmen-Snoopy vs The Red Baron  Not Scored

I have zero idea how to score this.

2. The Replacements-Black Diamond  8.5

A Top 3 KISS song for me. A cool cover. Really raw and simple sound which is perfect.

3. Marillion-Script For A Jester's Tear 8.0

Holy Genesis, Batman!  Believe it or not, I actually have 3 Marillion albums from the 80's and this is my favorite. It wasn't banned, and I let it slide.

4. Alter Bridge-Clear Horizon  8.0

Good song, but like most Alter Bridge, they are well played, but they just don't hold my interest.

5. Genesis-Evidence Of Autumn 8.0

That was good enough. I love Phil's drum sound.

6. Billy Joel-Vienna 7.5

Didn't love the song, but It might be my favorite episode in your story.

7. Peter Gabriel-Solsbury Hill 8.5

Probably my favorite part of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

8. Oasis-The Girl In The Dirty Shirt  7.5

Not anything I'd follow up with, but OK enough.

9. Kris Kristofferson-Sunday Mornin' Comin' Down 8.0

Wonderful part of your story. My father's mortality and health are about to become an issue for me, and I was quite touched reading that.

10. Joe Cocker-You Are So Beautiful 8.0

Aw gee, thanks.

11. Flying Colors-Better Than Walking Away 7.0

I'm not going to lie. Flying Colors absolutely blows. But I totally can relate to what you say in your story.

12. Train-Drops Of Jupiter 7.0

No, Van Halen is NOT overrated! I hate this song, but I've been there and I totally get where you're coming from.

13. Elton John-High Flying Bird 8.0

Not sure what to say about this song. It's nice.

14. Billy Joel-An Innocent Man 8.0

Ditto

15. Jellyfish-The King Is Half Undressed ** 7.5

Not sure I was crazy about this.

16. Brett Eldridge-Wanna Be That Song 8.0

A touching tribute for sure.

17. Soundgarden-My Wave 8.0

OK, not too annoying, and I appreciate what you're trying to say.

18. Tim McGraw-Humble And Kind 7.5

A message for everyone!

8.5+8.0+8.0+8.0+7.5+8.5+7.5+8.0+8.0+7.0+7.0+8.0+8.0+(7.5+7.5)+8.0+8.0+7.5=140.5/18=7.8*2=15.6
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=16.6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SACUL- us, then i

"There's more fish in the sea!"

Sacul, I appreciate your honestly and sharing this story with us. 3 years is a long time at your age, and while it may be difficult to understand, there is so much more for you to experience.

Should be no surprise but musically, I had a hard time getting through this. No worries, it's a me issue. I'm thankful you shared your story with these songs, as they are all very honest.
Believe it or not, I have never heard a single song by The Stooges. Loved 1970. Not sure how that fit in, but anyway, that was a great track. I did like the first Weyes Blood song. I thought it was pretty cool.

1. Beth Gibbons & Rustin Man-Funny Time Of Year 8.0

This song is actually pretty cool. Interesting.

2. Converge-Jane Doe  6.0

Oh boy. That was not good, man.

3. Spritualized-Broken Heart  8.0

Not quite my thing, but that was mesmerizingly cool.

4. Jeff Buckley-Forget Her**  8.0

This would be better if this was Gary Moore. Certainly not a bad song.

5. Dredg-Sorry But It's Over  7.5

Not sure this did much for me. I totally get it in context though.

6. Talk Talk-Living In Another World  8.0

Totally 80's! Definitely enjoyable and it took me back.

7. The Stooges-Dirt  7.5

I liked the style of this, but way to meandering for its length.

8. Jeff Buckley-Lover, You Should've Come Over  7.0

Nice song for sure. Unfortunately not my style of song. Appreciated though.

9. The Stooges-1970  9.0

Awesome track. Totally old school hard rock. Obvious comparison to classic Alice Cooper.

10. Dredg-The Canyon Behind Her  8.0

Really interesting and enjoyable song.

11. The Angelic Process-Burning In The Undertow  Not Rated

A 6 minute transitional piece, that I honestly couldn't find any value on it's own.

12. Nils Frahm-Unter  Not Scored

I did enjoy the piano bit.

13. Weyes Blood-Something To Believe 8.0

This has an old school 70's feel to it. Kinda neat.

14. Weyes Blood-Movies  7.0

I had a hard time connecting this song to your theme.

8.0+6.0+8.0+(8.0+8.0)+7.5+8.0+7.5+7.0+9.0+8.0+8.0+7.0=100/13=7.7*2=15.4
Meets Theme=1.0

Total=16.4

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3498 on: December 05, 2019, 08:15:06 PM »
Probably my favorite part of Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence.

Probably my favorite part of the write up!   :)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3499 on: December 05, 2019, 08:16:18 PM »
huh, thought you'd dig that Irreversible Mechanism song after the Aenimus one you sent me  :lol oh well. that's still like, a stupidly high average for this roulette, jeez. 17/20 and a theme bonus, delicious  :metal would've scored slightly higher too if i went with my shorter cut, but then i bet i'd have lost the theme bonus since the story would've fallen apart a little
if i score highest in the round overall i'll at least be satisfied by that small victory  :corn but i suspect katt will beat that score

btw for those keeping track at home:

Standings

Wolfking...19.5+18.5+17.1+18.1=73.2
Ariich...17.8+17.8+18.8+18.3=72.7
Jingleboy...18.6+17.3+17.8+18.8=72.5
Evermind….18.2+18.7+17.5+17.5=71.9
Kattelox...19.0+17.2+16.9+18.4=71.5
Cyril...17.8+17.1+18.3+17.5=70.7
Puppies...17.0+18.1+17.2+18.4=70.7
Buddyhunter...17.9+16.4+18.2+18.0=70.5
Lethean...17.0+17.3+17.3+17.6=69.2
Stadler...18.0+17.3+16.8+17.0=69.1
Elite...16.8+16.6+18.3+17.1=68.8
Faizoff...16.7+16.0=16.6+18.0=67.3
Sacul...16.5+14.7+18.1+17.3=66.6
Romdrums...17.3+13.1+16.1+17.2=63.7

Round 5;

SCORED:
Evermind….18.2+18.7+17.5+17.5+18.4=90.3
Cyril...17.8+17.1+18.3+17.5+19.0=89.7
Buddyhunter...17.9+16.4+18.2+18.0+16.9=87.4
Stadler...18.0+17.3+16.8+17.0+16.6=85.7
Elite...16.8+16.6+18.3+17.1+16.2=85.0
Dacul...16.5+14.7+18.1+17.3+16.4=83.0
Romdrums...17.3+13.1+16.1+17.2+17.0=80.7

NOT SCORED:
Wolfking...19.5+18.5+17.1+18.1=73.2 (needs: 17.1 or higher)
Ariich...17.8+17.8+18.8+18.3=72.7 (needs: 17.6 or higher)
Jingleboy...18.6+17.3+17.8+18.8=72.5 (needs: 17.8 or higher)
Kattelox...19.0+17.2+16.9+18.4=71.5 (needs: 18.8 or higher)
Puppies...17.0+18.1+17.2+18.4=70.7 (needs: 19.6 or higher)
Lethean...17.0+17.3+17.3+17.6=69.2 (needs: 21.1 or higher)
Faizoff...16.7+16.0=16.6+18.0=67.3 (needs: 23, which is impossible)

good luck y'all my bet's on lethean.
three theme bonuses left - Katt is pretty much guaranteed to have one, imo, the other two are up in the air