Author Topic: Dark Black and Blue: The Soundgarden Story by Greg Prato  (Read 681 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Dark Black and Blue: The Soundgarden Story by Greg Prato
« on: October 21, 2019, 03:22:49 PM »
I picked up Greg Prato's biography on Soundgarden a couple of weeks back and just finished it last night. I bought it because I'm a fan of Soundgarden's work (Badmotorfinger is one of my top-10 albums of all time), but also on the strength of the King's X book he put out a couple of years ago, which I really enjoyed. I have to say, while I enjoyed getting some Soundgarden history, and the nice trip back down memory lane, I wasn't as fond of this book as I was the KX one.

I think the major thing I noticed was something that wouldn't bother most people -- Greg wrote it like a fanboy, because he IS a fanboy of the band. That bugged me a bit. It came across as a fan writing a message board thesis on their favorite band and throwing in all personal anecdotes about times they saw them live, and their own favorite songs, etc. I was expecting a more critical, professional look at Soundgarden, particularly given the book is not an "authorized biography." (Or at least as far as I can tell.) It was a bit jumpy and just kind of like you were hearing about Soundgarden from a buddy at a bar that wouldn't shut up.  :lol

That said, don't get me wrong. I admire Greg's passion, and I have it myself when it comes to my favorite band of all time. And Greg's book dutifully covers SG's entire existence. If you're a fan of the band, you'll dig the book. But I just wouldn't expect a passionate, yet detached look at Soundgarden that gets into the nitty gritty. This is a book written by a hardcore fan in a very casual, relaxed, style of writing.

I'd give it three stars out of five.

Anyone else pick this one up?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dark Black and Blue: The Soundgarden Story by Greg Prato
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 05:21:17 PM »
Sam, I was planning on texting you when I got home from work tonight as I haven't seen much of you lately. Then BAM! you're on DTF today... :lol

Didn't read the book nor will I, I just wanted to post that.

I completely missed the Soundgarden train.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 08:13:24 AM »
Sam, I was planning on texting you when I got home from work tonight as I haven't seen much of you lately. Then BAM! you're on DTF today... :lol

Yeah, I've been busy with stuff. Been nice to disconnect for a while. Hope all is well. And SG isn't a band I thought you'd be into. Maybe a couple of tunes, but they are out of your wheelhouse for sure.

As an addition to the post above, I don't want it to look like I'm taking at shot at Greg Prato. I think he's a good writer. I just happen to not like the style in which he wrote this particular book. But his love and enthusiasm for Soundgarden jumped from the pages.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »

You're not the only one.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 09:57:00 AM »

Yeah, I've been busy with stuff. Been nice to disconnect for a while. Hope all is well. And SG isn't a band I thought you'd be into. Maybe a couple of tunes, but they are out of your wheelhouse for sure.

As an addition to the post above, I don't want it to look like I'm taking at shot at Greg Prato. I think he's a good writer. I just happen to not like the style in which he wrote this particular book. But his love and enthusiasm for Soundgarden jumped from the pages.

Guy seems like a book factory.  I'll admit there's one or two of his book's I want to get, but that's really it.

It is just that book he wrote that way or are there others?

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »
I felt his King's X book was much, much better.

The Soundgarden one, as someone said to me the other day who also read it, sounds like if he considers himself in the band.  :lol

I mean, I get it, I didn't get that vibe, but he's clearly an uber fan, and wrote it that way. A lot of the balance went out the window, which made it less enjoyable, at least for me.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
Yeah, Prato has written a ton of books, and as a writer myself, I know all too well that quality almost always becomes the cost of quantity.

I LOVE Soundgarden, but his prose is hard to read. Definitely agree with the comments that this 'book' feels more akin to a long blog post, but hey, it's self-published, so I'm not holding the lack of an 'edited' feel against him. Charging twenty bucks??? Well, that's where he lost me.